HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency Part XVIII

Old
07-26-2012, 03:08 PM
HeliDevil
Ride the Schneid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Watch Lou put claim on Butler in 5...4...3...2...
I wouldn't mind him one bit.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:08 PM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJazz3dg View Post
I got over it. it took a whole two minutes, but I'm finally over it.

Come here Doan, who's a good boy!
So now we want to give someone over 35 a multi year deal worth the rumored 7.5 mil or more? We don't need Lou to go through another crisis with an over 35 contract.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:09 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Carolina couldn't get Parise, so they settled with Semin. Alrighty then...

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:11 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Heck, people should be happy Semin didn't go to Pittsburgh or another division team. Carolina's certainly upped their scoring power this offseason but their defense is still meh.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:12 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
1. Who cares about principle. You aren't Lou.

2. Why not? It would make the team better and more dangerously competitive with the Rangers, Flyers, Penguins.

3. How do you know? The players haven't even presented their CBA plan to the NHL yet.
1. Obviously I care about the principal since I posted about it. It's a message board, so I am speculating. "You aren't Lou" is a really, really dumb argument because that would nullify half of the posts on this board.

I do not think Lou would want to give Semin, who just scored 56 points, a $7M cap hit while Kovalchuk's cap hit is $6.6M while coming off an 83 point season. Kovalchuk counts for 9.4% of the total cap. Semin at $7M would count for 10%. You would want a less productive player to count for more against the cap?

2. Have you forgotten about this team's financial status? They are not going to spend an extra $7M just because they can. They are not the Rangers.

3. Because if they don't eliminate those deals, the league is going to get out of control and both sides know it. This is going to be the last year of the frontloaded deals.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:12 PM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Heck, people should be happy Semin didn't go to Pittsburgh or another division team. Carolina's certainly upped their scoring power this offseason but their defense is still meh.
If they don't struggle out of the gate and play like they can... especially Ward... they will be a team knocking on the door to remove an unimproved Devils squad from the post season.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

We're going in with what we have plus Sykie.

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:14 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
If they don't struggle out of the gate and play like they can... especially Ward... they will be a team knocking on the door to remove an unimproved Devils squad from the post season.
Or they win a lousy division where Florida had 90 points and made the playoffs, big deal. I can't worry about that now. Especially when last year Tampa and Buffalo were supposed to be big-deal teams with the Caps as the ECF favorite.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:14 PM
HughJazz3dg

vCash: 50
Quote:
So now we want to give someone over 35 a multi year deal worth the rumored 7.5 mil or more? We don't need Lou to go through another crisis with an over 35 contract.
I'm not saying "Give him what he wants! I don't care, he's a God!" As long as the price is right. I wouldn't mind taking him for two or three years, 7.5 is FAR too much though, especially for multi year.

HughJazz3dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Poor Ward is probably thinking "why can`t I get some better toys to play with too?".

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
HFDevils is eroding into Devilsrule.com territory. Jesus Christmas
LOL, you made me want to go watch Time Chasers

Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:16 PM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJazz3dg View Post
I'm not saying "Give him what he wants! I don't care, he's a God!" As long as the price is right. I wouldn't mind taking him for two or three years, 7.5 is FAR too much though, especially for multi year.
No I know what you're saying. I just think if there's really a 7.5 mil contract out there that the Devils are not going to offer that plus multiple years. It seems like it's going to take that much for him to leave Phoenix, pack up his kids, wife, life, and so on to move east.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:17 PM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
This wasn't about where Semin wanted to play, it was about money pure and simple. If we offered Semin $7.1 he'd be a Devil. Whether we should have or not, I'd be conflicted on but the fact is you can't make the case he would take a one-year deal if he was getting offered rich multi-year offers elsewhere. And you can't make the case he turned down $7.5-8 million offers from other teams to go to Carolina when he made $6.7 last year and had a 54-point season.
You can't possibly know that. And even if the Devils weren't interested in him, I'm not upset about it. Yeah you might get a resurrected Alex Semin, or you might get a few more points than Petr Sykora. Whether Semin had the idea to stay in the Southeast Division, this was the best offer he got, or a lot of other teams passed on him 7 million even for a year is a lot of money for a guy who may not fit and may never return to form. If he was 21 goal 54 point Semin people would want him off this team by Thanksgiving and the "is it time for Lou to move on" thread would be on part 9 in 2 weeks.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Devils defense.

vCash: 802
Johnny Mac gets his own Kovalchuk lite.

Hope he doesn't bench him for being 15 minutes late to a team meeting.

Funniest moment of morning was Jaromir Jagr trying to get @KenDaneykoMSG to say, "Ruutu to Tootoo, 2-on-1" quickly.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:20 PM
DevilsAnimal*

I am this close to saying the sky is falling :V

the only prospect we have right now that is gonna step up to fill a spot is henrique

josefson keeps getting injured
and tedenby sucks

unless larsson decides he wants to play centre, we neeed to sign someone, anyone

DevilsAnimal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:21 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Johnny Mac gets his own Kovalchuk lite.

Hope he doesn't bench him for being 15 minutes late to a team meeting.
no no no...remember CKAC reported he was benched for refusing to play right wing?

...but wait...he played right wing all year without so much as a complaint...hmm...but...

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:21 PM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

Quote:
Seriously? Again, are you personally paying him? Who cares? It's a ONE YEAR DEAL. Also a perfect scenario it would have been to see if he can contribute, mesh with Kovy and the team, score a lot of goals... and that could be his audition for a long term contract negotiation next summer.

HUGE missed opportunity for Lou and the Devils.

13 Years, 98 Million, HUGE signing bonus for Parise

1 Year, 7 million for Semin

Think about these figures and tell me how horrible Semin's new contract is. He got a 300k raise.
If you're running on an internal payroll, even if for one year, shelling out 7 million to Semin doesn't make sense. And yes, I also don't believe Zach was worth that much either and am actually glad that he is not getting that contract here.

Doesn't matter if I'm paying the money or not, I don't think Semin should get 7 mil. He isn't worth that. He just isn't. Zach isn't either.

MadDog172430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:22 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
We're going in with what we have plus Sykie.
i find it very hard to believe a defenseman doesnt get moved, especially if gelinas is ready to come up at some point this season..

Old
07-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalchukFistPump View Post
Looks like the guy really enjoys free agency with all these 1-year deals.
Either that, or nobody wants to commit to him long term, and there must be a good reason for that. Really not sure why anybody is pissed about Semin signing somewhere else.

It tells you something when even Washington was running away from a perennial 30+ goal scorer as fast as they could. McPhee isn't crazy, it's that his baggage just isn't worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Thank God it's finally over so I don't have to hear about why Semin is the missing piece to this team anymore
No kidding. But I'm sure people will be lamenting it into the season anyway.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:25 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Either that, or nobody wants to commit to him long term, and there must be a good reason for that. Really not sure why anybody is pissed about Semin signing somewhere else.

It tells you something when even Washington was running away from a perennial 30+ goal scorer as fast as they could. McPhee isn't crazy, it's that his baggage just isn't worth it.

No kidding. But I'm sure people will be lamenting it into the season anyway.
re: phee...he could have any number of reasons for not re-signing him. or, semin didn't want to be in washington anymore...we don't know. im just saying, never underestimate a change of scenery..

Old
07-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Scott04

knew there would be a **** storm here once Semin signed.

Just because some of you wanted him and felt we needed him doesn't mean we were ever after him. And if we were, obviously it wasn't for the type of offer he accepted, as some writers are saying that it seems as if none of the other offers he received were at the level of Carolina's ($ wise). Stop chalking this up as the Devils missing out, or failing to attract talent again, or any of this garbage. Who knows if Lou even tried to kick the tires on this one. Can't be missing out on something you never went for in the first place. Hopefully this will at least put an end to the fantasy that Semin could have been our savior and was a "must-sign" for this franchise to survive.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
i find it very hard to believe a defenseman doesnt get moved, especially if gelinas is ready to come up at some point this season..
We have 7 bonafide, solid d-men (not counting Harrold who is very good at filling in). You need that throughout the year.

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:27 PM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
You'd think after YEARS and years this board would learn. Nope, still the same pissing and moaning that Lou didn't toss money around like candy on Halloween at any name on the market!

The pouting over not getting AS is especially amusing. Yeah, he's such a great player that no GMs were willing to commit multiple years to the player. Speaks volumes...

But continue on, Lou didn't sign any big names so to the 14th seed we go!!

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:27 PM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog172430 View Post
Doesn't matter if I'm paying the money or not, I don't think Semin should get 7 mil. He isn't worth that. He just isn't. Zach isn't either.
This is where I'm talking about market dictation. Would you think Parise was worth 6 mil when the NHL just came out of the lockout and the cap was like 39 mil? We used to think Zubrus was overpaid now he's a bargain. Look at the huge number being thrown around regarding Doan.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
That's probably Lou's plan. We'll be getting a forward via trade, not free agency, unless Doan decides to be charitable and sign a 1 year deal for $4 M or something equally crazy.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote