Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

How are Newfoundlanders looking?

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Adele

vCash: 500
How are Newfoundlanders looking?

Anyone know how the kids from Newfoundland are looking for the Q draft this year?

Old
01-14-2005, 12:04 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Andrew White should be picked in the first 2 rounds. He is playing JR A in Pembroke ONT though. He tore up the U17's on Team ATL.

That is the only kid from NFLD who has a shot at being a top pick. There are a few others who will be picked in rounds 4-15.

Old
01-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Frankie

might st.john's take white with their first pick in the second round?

Old
01-14-2005, 01:38 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
might st.john's take white with their first pick in the second round?
More than likely. 19th overall or 20th overall (Which ever pick St. John's will have) is about the area i expect him to be picked.

Old
01-14-2005, 02:23 PM
Adele

[QUOTE=La-La-Laprise]More than likely. 19th overall or 20th overall (Which ever pick St. John's will have) is about the area i expect him to be picked.

What other Newfoundland kids would you expect? I figure they will at least take
6!

Old
01-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Frankie

i hope the fog devils don't take newfoundlanders just because of where they were born. it will be good to have a couple, but they have to be able to play.

i have no faith in andrew mckim to do this job.

Old
01-14-2005, 03:34 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

They will take the best players available early on. Late rounds youll see more local guys. But even so...they can invite all the Newfs to camp if they want, the ones that werent picked.

Old
01-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Adele

[QUOTE=Frankie]i hope the fog devils don't take newfoundlanders just because of where they were born. it will be good to have a couple, but they have to be able to play.

i have no faith in andrew mckim to do this job

Frankie,

There are a few kids that would be capable of playing at the QMJHL level if given the chance. Quite obviously, they would have to go through the "rookie" phase and work their way up but given a chance, some of them would definitely progress nicely.

Old
01-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele
Frankie,

There are a few kids that would be capable of playing at the QMJHL level if given the chance. Quite obviously, they would have to go through the "rookie" phase and work their way up but given a chance, some of them would definitely progress nicely.
i'm sure that's true. still, i hope they just take the players who they think are the best, regardless of where they are from.

Old
01-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Adele

[QUOTE=Frankie]i'm sure that's true. still, i hope they just take the players who they think are the best, regardless of where they are from

In regards to the no faith in Andrew McKim, why do you think Dobbin would pick McKim over Glenn Stanford? Real Paiement was in St. John's the week end and was at the AAA Leafs game I heard. Heard he was there to look at a couple of kids.
Any word out there on who?

Old
01-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Frankie

[QUOTE=Adele]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
i'm sure that's true. still, i hope they just take the players who they think are the best, regardless of where they are from

In regards to the no faith in Andrew McKim, why do you think Dobbin would pick McKim over Glenn Stanford? Real Paiement was in St. John's the week end and was at the AAA Leafs game I heard. Heard he was there to look at a couple of kids.
Any word out there on who?
dobbin picked mckim over stanford for money reasons. and i think dobbin wanted to cut all ties with the st.john's maple leafs.

i have no idea who paiement was looking at. i didn't even know he was here.

Old
01-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Adele

[QUOTE=Frankie]dobbin picked mckim over stanford for money reasons. and i think dobbin wanted to cut all ties with the st.john's maple leafs.

i have no idea who paiement was looking at. i didn't even know he was here

You are quite obviously from Newfoundland and know alot about hockey. Do you play?

Old
01-22-2005, 11:21 AM
gamerman44

Quote:
Anyone know how the kids from Newfoundland are looking for the Q draft this year?
What about mark yetman i hear hes doin really good with the aaa leafs??

Old
01-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Daniel_Tkaczuk

Send a message via ICQ to Daniel_Tkaczuk
One would think Travis Coles will be taken. He might not be huge, but he's improved leaps and bounds over last year as a defensive defenseman and is a consummate leader.

Old
01-24-2005, 03:25 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Tkaczuk
One would think Travis Coles will be taken. He might not be huge, but he's improved leaps and bounds over last year as a defensive defenseman and is a consummate leader.
Tavis Coles? He is already in the Q and i doubt CHI will unprotect him.

Old
01-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Daniel_Tkaczuk

Send a message via ICQ to Daniel_Tkaczuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
Tavis Coles? He is already in the Q and i doubt CHI will unprotect him.
I'm an idiot. I didn't read very closely and thought we were talking about the NHL Draft.

Old
01-26-2005, 11:00 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Tkaczuk
I'm an idiot. I didn't read very closely and thought we were talking about the NHL Draft.
LOL no worries

Coles is a long shot for an NHL pick. He is 5'10 and not playing that much with CHI who have a very young d group.

Old
01-26-2005, 01:01 PM
EaglesGoalie

What about central?

Two of the best goalies in central newfoundland live in grad falls windsor and they never even been looked at! nobody comes to central they think there is no talent here but there is more then enough!

Last edited by EaglesGoalie: 01-26-2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old
01-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Adele

[QUOTE=EaglesGoalie]Two of the best goalies in central newfoundland live in grad falls windsor and they never even been looked at! nobody comes to central they think there is no talent here but there is more then enough

I am familiar with alot of Newfoundland players - who would they be?

Old
01-26-2005, 10:14 PM
EaglesGoalie

Greg Bursey regular season (4-1-0) tournments (1-0-1)
and Aj Whiffen regular season (2-1-0) tournments (0-2-0)

Last edited by EaglesGoalie: 01-26-2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old
01-26-2005, 10:30 PM
EaglesGoalie

....and what about jake lewis hes not a goalie but he is one of the best players newfoundland has he did get scouted last year by a prep school in chicago but thast only because he played for team newfoundland in the atlantic challenge cup!! not becasue of a tournment here in newfoundland. Oh and on the 3rd on february my high school hockey team is going to the confederation cup in st johns there are teams all over canada goign to it and youd think there will be scouts there?? i hope so because of the fog devils is in st johns and its a big opportunity for the onwers. there is a few teams from ontario like 20 or 30 from newfoundland 4 or 5 from nova scotia 2 from pei and a few from new brunswick as well!

Old
01-27-2005, 07:29 AM
Adele

That's the key to hockey unfortunately - it is to leave the province ie Team Newfoundland to be looked at. The worst part of that is you need to leave the island more than once to be really noticed. There are scouts here now and they have been here for years. Their niche is the AAA teams - Scott Gordon, Don Roche, Steve Bishop, Steve Callahan, Andrew McKim, Corey Crocker, etc. Confederation Cup is a scouted tournament because these people will be there. Also, now that Andrew McKim is involved with the St. John's Fog Devils, he and his team of scouts (Bob Johnson - ex NHL scout), will more than likely be there too. I have been around hockey circles for the last ten years in this province and I have never heard of these two goalies nor have I heard of Jake Lewis so I guess it is highly unlikely that people on the mainland have heard hey. Actually, up until this year (and I don't know what his capacity is this year) but Walter Lewis (he lives in Grand Falls) is the scout for the Halifax Mooseheads. By the way, just to let you know, Confederation Cup male section is comprised of 32 teams - two from Ontario,
maybe six - eight from Nova Scotia and our own teams.

Old
01-27-2005, 07:31 AM
Adele

[QUOTE=EaglesGoalie]Greg Bursey regular season (4-1-0) tournments (1-0-1)
and Aj Whiffen regular season (2-1-0) tournments (0-2-0

Do you mean to tell me that Greg has only played 5 games and 2 tournament games and AJ has played 3 and 2. I hate to say this but some kids are playing upwards to 30 games a season.

Old
01-27-2005, 10:34 AM
EaglesGoalie

[QUOTE=Adele]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesGoalie
Greg Bursey regular season (4-1-0) tournments (1-0-1)
and Aj Whiffen regular season (2-1-0) tournments (0-2-0

Do you mean to tell me that Greg has only played 5 games and 2 tournament games and AJ has played 3 and 2. I hate to say this but some kids are playing upwards to 30 games a season.
this is only this month i dont knwo the total record so i put up this months
and are you goign to be at confederation cup?

Old
01-27-2005, 10:43 AM
EaglesGoalie

Quote:
I have been around hockey circles for the last ten years in this province and I have never heard of these two goalies nor have I heard of Jake Lewis so I guess it is highly unlikely that people on the mainland have heard hey. Actually, up until this year (and I don't know what his capacity is this year) but Walter Lewis (he lives in Grand Falls) is the scout for the Halifax Mooseheads.
Ok so if this walter guy lives here which i never heard of him he dont go to any games here! and do you even know one player in midget right now that lves in central??

Closed Thread