Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

How are Newfoundlanders looking?

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Adele

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=EaglesGoalie]Ok so if this walter guy lives here which i never heard of him he dont go to any games here! and do you even know one player in midget right now that lves in central

First of all, when it comes to scouts, you don't know when or where they will show up. They don't announce themselves or roll out the red carpet. They quietly slip in and out of buildings unless they want to talk to a particular player/parents. For the most part, they would report back to the team or league that they do the scouting for.

Secondly, when it comes to players, the ones that I am familiar with are ones that have played elite hockey i.e. Sammy Hounsell, Robert Slaney, Coady Roche, Travis Randell, Brandon Street, James Lanning to name some that come to mind right now.

I hate to break it to you but the AAA program in this province takes away from the kids who play high school hockey because of the wonderful stigma attached with AAA. I know of a case where a kid played high school hockey, their team won virtually everything (I am talking about Gonzaga High School last year). There was some interest in one of the players by the Q but he wasn't put on the draft because he didn't play AAA.

Old
01-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Chootoi

it's like that in NB too. not so much now as it used to be though. i remember playing high school against some real good players and none of them were ever drafted in the Q. Jamie Mccabe was the only one who even got a free agent tryout offer, and he went on to be a pretty solid player. there were many players better than him in high school that never even got a look.

kind of a shame really... some of the talent that gets passed over

Old
01-27-2005, 12:09 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele

I hate to break it to you but the AAA program in this province takes away from the kids who play high school hockey because of the wonderful stigma attached with AAA. I know of a case where a kid played high school hockey, their team won virtually everything (I am talking about Gonzaga High School last year). There was some interest in one of the players by the Q but he wasn't put on the draft because he didn't play AAA.
Seriously? Are you sure? Because teams wont pass up on a player they like just because where he plays. NB High School have quite a few players picked each year. Hopefully with the Fog Devils coming in it will give more of these "obscure" players a shot.

There are some QMJHL teams who dont even have a scout here in the maritimes let alone in Newfoundland. The Mooseheads have one on the Rock and they are hoarding all the talent from there. It will only take time before teams wake up and get with the program. Similar to when Halifax came in. Even the big teams from Quebec didnt have scouts down here. Hull basically. And their GM was like it was fishing in a huge ocean and no one else is out there with you. That is how they got Ryder. Teams will eventually realize what Newfoundland hockey has to offer.

Old
01-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Adele

[QUOTE=La-La-Laprise]Seriously? Are you sure? Because teams wont pass up on a player they like just because where he plays. NB High School have quite a few players picked each year. Hopefully with the Fog Devils coming in it will give more of these "obscure" players a shot.

There are some QMJHL teams who dont even have a scout here in the maritimes let alone in Newfoundland. The Mooseheads have one on the Rock and they are hoarding all the talent from there. It will only take time before teams wake up and get with the program. Similar to when Halifax came in. Even the big teams from Quebec didnt have scouts down here. Hull basically. And their GM was like it was fishing in a huge ocean and no one else is out there with you. That is how they got Ryder. Teams will eventually realize what Newfoundland hockey has to offer

Yes, I am sure. He was an underager last year and was advised that a couple of teams were interested but he was not put on the draft list because he didn't play AAA. Any scouting that is done here (upto this year) was done at AAA games. This year, however, with the QMJHL coming here, I know that there were at least three local scouts at a high school tournament that was run right after Christmas. The Confederation Cup will be a big tournament for high schools all across NL and it is a great chance for all hockey players to be seen.

Old
01-27-2005, 01:54 PM
EaglesGoalie

So what about 4 A's wouldnt you think scouts go there and most AAA players play high school hokcey here in newfoundland AAA isnt very big casue there is so few teams and you have to travel so far! but there are many teams in high school even little towns with 500 people liek bishop's manages to put a team together! And the past weekend there was a AA midget team try out in buchans newfoudnland i was their and was ranked #1 i am the startign goalie for it so what about that! in the mainland our AA is their AAA and their AAA players get lookes at!

Old
01-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Adele

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesGoalie
So what about 4 A's wouldnt you think scouts go there and most AAA players play high school hokcey here in newfoundland AAA isnt very big casue there is so few teams and you have to travel so far! but there are many teams in high school even little towns with 500 people liek bishop's manages to put a team together! And the past weekend there was a AA midget team try out in buchans newfoudnland i was their and was ranked #1 i am the startign goalie for it so what about that! in the mainland our AA is their AAA and their AAA players get lookes at!
Last year at the 4As, the only ones getting evaluated were the refs. Yes, most AAA players do play high school hockey but next weekend the AAA Leafs are at Western (unless it is delayed) which would be too bad because everyone loves playing for their school.

I don't know where you ever got the idea that our AA is equal to the mainland's AAA. That is far from the truth. Do you ever notice the wide variety of categories when it comes to the All Newfoundland (if you play for an association). It ranges from A to maybe K. A teams are generally from St. John's, Mount Pearl, CBR, maybe Goulds. Why are there no teams from Bishops entered into the A or even B categories. If you are from the Grand Falls area, maybe you should look into a hockey program run by Jack Lee or maybe Andy Sullivan. If you are that good - perhaps you will make one of their travelling teams and get looked at. What high school team do you play for? I'll go and watch you at the Confederation Cup!

Old
01-27-2005, 03:03 PM
EaglesGoalie

Quote:
Last year at the 4As, the only ones getting evaluated were the refs. Yes, most AAA players do play high school hockey but next weekend the AAA Leafs are at Western (unless it is delayed) which would be too bad because everyone loves playing for their school.

I don't know where you ever got the idea that our AA is equal to the mainland's AAA. That is far from the truth. Do you ever notice the wide variety of categories when it comes to the All Newfoundland (if you play for an association). It ranges from A to maybe K. A teams are generally from St. John's, Mount Pearl, CBR, maybe Goulds. Why are there no teams from Bishops entered into the A or even B categories. If you are from the Grand Falls area, maybe you should look into a hockey program run by Jack Lee or maybe Andy Sullivan. If you are that good - perhaps you will make one of their travelling teams and get looked at. What high school team do you play for? I'll go and watch you at the Confederation Cup!
I play fro the EVH Eagles i am number 31 in the white jerserys and 21 in the dark i have all red itech 10.8 vamp gear. But in the mainland its called Major minor that equals our AAA thats all i was saying i never meant to say that is the same calibur of hockey

Old
01-27-2005, 06:08 PM
EaglesGoalie

Our first game is 3:30 pm at smallwood stadium were playing Mt.Pearl Sr. our second games is satruday at 10:30 and thats in the Glacier and we are playing millwood prep school from nova scotiaand then saturday we play again in southern shore against stephenville at 3

Old
01-28-2005, 08:07 AM
Adele

Quote:
Our first game is 3:30 pm at smallwood stadium were playing Mt.Pearl Sr. our second games is satruday at 10:30 and thats in the Glacier and we are playing millwood prep school from nova scotiaand then saturday we play again in southern shore against stephenville at 3
I have your games noted and I will see what I can do to get there.

Old
01-28-2005, 09:15 AM
EaglesGoalie

ok cool

Old
01-31-2005, 10:01 AM
gamerman44

eagles goalie you are obviously a duster not worthy of lacing up the skates for one AAA goalie in the province scouts do go to watch 4a but not for u they go to watch the real talent. teh goalies wgho have been off the island and ha e gotten the exposure for themselves. if u are as good as u say u are why didnt u try out for a program of excellence team i guess ur not as good as u think now a really goalie going some where is markyetamn he has been in contact i heard with over 5 q teams how many have u heard from. i dont live in newfoundland so i dont know him so dont think im one of his biddies all i know is that he is a great goalie with a bright future

Old
01-31-2005, 11:41 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly
eagles goalie you are obviously a duster not worthy of lacing up the skates for one AAA goalie in the province scouts do go to watch 4a but not for u they go to watch the real talent. teh goalies wgho have been off the island and ha e gotten the exposure for themselves. if u are as good as u say u are why didnt u try out for a program of excellence team i guess ur not as good as u think now a really goalie going some where is markyetamn he has been in contact i heard with over 5 q teams how many have u heard from. i dont live in newfoundland so i dont know him so dont think im one of his biddies all i know is that he is a great goalie with a bright future
Classless post.

Goaltenders are a crap shoot in the best of times. What a goalie does at 15 and 16 has very LITTLE bearing on what type of player he will be in his 20's.

I could sit here and come up with multiple examples to back up that claim.

In contact with 5 Q teams? Who cares? I know last year a kid who was ranked in round 1 in the Q draft who had all 16 teams contact him and he wasnt even drafted. Teams contact most players, that is part of their job. To get some back ground info on them. In this day and age with QMJHL scouting, teams need to contact players to ask whether they even want to play Junior because a large amount of them are going prep school/NCAA now.

The best goaltender in Nova Scotia Midget hockey hasnt been in conact with ANY QMJHL teams as of now. Does that mean he sucks? Nope. That means it is JANUARY!!! Teams dont usually start contacting players until March or after.

You must be that kids dad I'm guessing. It is quite obvious by that last line. Trust me, I know when a hockeyparent is talking about their own kid. You should do him a favour and stop whoreing him on public messageboards.

Old
01-31-2005, 01:32 PM
Adele

Hey Eagles Goalie,

Irregardless of who thinks what or who says what, it is how you feel inside that counts. If you feel that you are good and you have been told that you are good, then go for it. There will be scouts watching and the key to it all is that every time you step on the ice, whether it be for practice or for a game, you give it your all. If you have the heart and the desire to excel at what you want to be, as the saying goes "life is what you make of it". Anyway, it is only three days away until the Confederation Cup - good luck in your games. As I said, if I get a chance to watch you, I will definitely do that. I have the schedule and I already looked up when you are playing so I have it posted.

Old
01-31-2005, 07:50 PM
EaglesGoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly
You obviously knwo what your talking about man CHHH not really we had a tournment on the 28-30 we went 4-0 beat gander in the first game 4-3 then we played botwood and won 6-0 and then we played lewisporte 6-2 in the championship we played gander and beat them 12-1 i must be doing something right!

Old
02-08-2005, 07:40 PM
EaglesGoalie

We got second in teir 2 in confederation cup we went 0-3 in the frist roudn and in the frist 2 games we had a 2-0 lead, my knee was bad on thursday and was ok friday i played our third game friday we lost 5-4 but i got kicked out for fighting i got 2 2 and 2 so i gto to play oru next game we won all our or gaems then untill the championship then we lost to discorvery 4-3 andrew duffett is a crazy goalie! one of the best i ever seen! and hes only 16! not even scouted! anyways just letting you knwo how we did! and our goalie palyed **** but thats all you can do

Old
02-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Newfoundlander84

Quote:

We got second in teir 2 in confederation cup we went 0-3 in the frist roudn and in the frist 2 games we had a 2-0 lead, my knee was bad on thursday and was ok friday i played our third game friday we lost 5-4 but i got kicked out for fighting i got 2 2 and 2 so i gto to play oru next game we won all our or gaems then untill the championship then we lost to discorvery 4-3 andrew duffett is a crazy goalie! one of the best i ever seen! and hes only 16! not even scouted! anyways just letting you knwo how we did! and our goalie palyed **** but thats all you can do
Discovery's goalie is Jonathan Duffett, 16 yrs old and has been scouted before. He plays for the Tri-Pen Frost AAA Midget program. I seen the tier II championship and I thought your goalie played well, needs to work on that glove side though, I think he may have let 2 or 3 goals past his glove but overall his play was good.

Old
02-09-2005, 08:12 AM
Adele

I would say Duffett was scouted away i.e. Moncton tournament. Last year I don't think Duffett even played high school hockey only AAA. I was at the 4As and I can't remember him being there

Old
02-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Newfoundlander84

Duffett wasn't at 4A last year, but he was 2 years ago.

Old
02-09-2005, 06:02 PM
EaglesGoalie

Quote:
I would say Duffett was scouted away i.e. Moncton tournament. Last year I don't think Duffett even played high school hockey only AAA. I was at the 4As and I can't remember him being there
after the championship game duffett was sakeing hands with us me and my buddy josh were talking to him about him being scouted and he said he wasn't

Old
02-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Newfoundlander84

Believe me, he plays AAA, he has been scouted before, he may just not know it.

Old
02-11-2005, 12:19 AM
EaglesGoalie

yea probally

Old
02-11-2005, 04:30 PM
EvilCl0wn14

How about western NF.. any talent over that way?

Old
02-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Newfoundlander84

There is talent on the Western team, but there are no standout players like T.J. Smith, or Tim Caines were in previous years.
This is the same story for every team, there is no real standout talent in the league as there was in pervious years.

Old
02-14-2005, 04:48 PM
biff44

Steve Pearson is lighting the lamp playing Jr. B hockey for the NE Huskies in Ma. He is the #2 scorer on the team and is draft eligible for the Q this spring. He's from Newfie.

Old
02-22-2005, 06:14 PM
Andrew Stagg

i agree with eagle goalie ..theres not enough scouts looking at the centreal teams/league..seems likeits all about the east coast...players from central have to go out there or to the west coast to get noticed because we dont have a AAA team wich is stupid..theres alot of great players in central that arnt being noticed because they just cant aford to make trips to st. johns and west coast evryweekend wich isent fair..ifd some scouts came down to look at the central high school league i bet u theyed find alot of players theyd like..on the 25th and 26th there are going to be 4A qoulifyers held in grandfalls winsor at joe byrne stadium...there wuikll be some great players not being able to go to the 4A's because there team jus cnat cut it and they will never get the chance to be seen

Closed Thread