HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #3

View Poll Results: Who is our #3 prospect?
D Brady Skjei 1 1.02%
C Michael St. Croix 1 1.02%
D Dylan McIlrath 19 19.39%
C J.T. Miller 71 72.45%
RW Christian Thomas 3 3.06%
RW Jesper Fasth 3 3.06%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-26-2012, 05:48 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Brad View Post
I don't really know anything about any of the prospects, so can someone tell me why J.T. Miller is so much more highly regarded than Christian Thomas? I mean, Thomas had 99 points this year.
1). Points in Canadian juniors are not always a sure fire indicator of success in the NHL. See Nigel Dawes and Christian Dube for examples.

2). Size is a factor. Miller is already phycially ready to play in the NHL. In last year's exhibition game against the Debbies, he outmuscled a bigger player in Bernier along the the boards as an 18-year-old. The reports from the development camp say he's even bigger and stronger. He's strong both along the boards and in front of the net. Thomas, OTOH, looked over-matched in both Traverse City and in the pre-season. The question remains as to whether Thomas will find space to score in the NHL, especially in comparison to juniors.

3). Contrary to what a certain poster continues to say, Miller's skillset my actually be underrated. He's a very good passer and playmaker. He's also got a very good shot, which Gordie Clark has said he needs to use more. He sees the ice well, and has a high hockey IQ. He's also very intense. He's built like and plays lie a power forward. If he develops to his fullest potential, you're looking at a player similar to Kesler (without the 40 goal season.

Miller will be an NHL player...probably as close to a sure thing as the Rangers have in the organization. The jury remains out on Thomas.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

McIlrath, add Yogan.

Matt4776 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:01 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I will go with McIlrath. I think there is a better chance he'll be a top-4 defenseman than that Miller will be a top-6 forward.

Add Hrivik for his huge playoff performance. It was only a few games, but that was some dominant job he did on the AHLers. Hopefully he'll continue to improve.
The bold is probably true, but I expect both will be meaningful contributors, not necessarily stars, but real go to guys you can rely on.

Went with Brady Skjei
It's early, but I like his skating, even though not Dave Keon-esque.
Possible star potential if he has enough shot to be more of a complete backliner.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

voted mcilrath. as long as he gets/stays healthy despite the fact that he was a risky pick, he fills a need and dat size is going to be huge.

rd, size, strength, initiative, and a constantly improving game. he can be a net clearing defenseman that we could highly benefit from.

while i think miller has a higher shot at making the team this season with the loss of anisimov, dubi and lack of an offensive 3rd center-- i believe mcilrath will be a bigger impact player in the long run.

as soon as he proves himself capable in the nhl i see him as having higher value than miller, but until then miller's value to the rest of the league is wins. mcilrath's size/physicality can control momentum (assuming the work ethic stays strong) and win us games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
The bold is probably true, but I expect both will be meaningful contributors, not necessarily stars, but real go to guys you can rely on.

Went with Brady Skjei
It's early, but I like his skating, even though not Dave Keon-esque.
Possible star potential if he has enough shot to be more of a complete backliner.
too early for my vote, but he's def promising-- especially for the pick we got him at. not only does he have speed, but he can skate, too.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Broadway Brad

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Broadway Brad is offline   Reply With Quote