HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pirates: You Kissed Me and Stopped Me From Shaking And I Need You Today, Oh Wandy

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2012, 02:37 AM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Pirates: You Kissed Me and Stopped Me From Shaking And I Need You Today, Oh Wandy

The Pittsburgher Thread was conceived as a place for any Penguins fan to talk about sports of any kind and I'd say it has been a success thus far...but something happened that no one ever could have seen coming...the Pirates started winning. Along with the Pirates winning games the Pittsburgher Thread became essentially a Pirates GDT with any talk about anything else being quickly glossed over and ignored...in an effort to preserve the spirit of that thread I've received the okay to split this thread off for just Pirates talk. Jaded-fan need not apply.

To Christen this thread I decided that it was high time that I actually posted that updated top prospects list I've been promising for months now (I lost my pre-season list when my harddrive died...I swear I was early on the Alen Hanson bandwagon!). Hopefully my use of the word Christen doesn't offend Mark Appel.

A header: post-draft lists are hard to compile...if this was done a month ago everything, aside from the top two, would be different for one glaring reason. I expect/hope that more than two 2012 draftees are on this list next year, but without time it's really hard to place those prospects in a fairly deep system. On a similar note I'm not placing any of the new International free agents on the list because I just don't know enough about them...though I do find it incredibly entertaining that the Pirates' two biggest International signings so far this year are both 16 year-old Dominicans named De La Cruz costing $700k apiece. There were a handful of International prospects from the past couple signing periods I had on my shortlist...but I'm preferring to take the Greg Polanco route with them and wait until they explode in the minors before including them.

1. Gerrit Cole, RHP, 21, Altoona (AA)
The top overall pick in last year’s draft would have benefited from the new draft’s rules (not financially, mind you), as he signed at the last second and didn’t play any professional games last year, but he’s quickly made up for lost time in high-A ball this year. Cole’s stats are largely meaningless this year, as the Pirates are tweaking his delivery and his pitch selection (as with all low minors pitchers), but he’s still managed to put up great numbers and make the Florida League All-Star Game along with Jameson Taillon. Cole earned a promotion to Altoona a few weeks ago and struggled in his latest start, inflating his numbers (only 4 games).
My projection is that he’ll finish the season in Altoona, start next season in Indianapolis, and be called-up to the Majors sometime after the June cut-off date (a date early in June where a player called up doesn’t fulfill a full year of Major League service for contract purposes, effectively buying the team another year of control) when he’s good and ready. I can see a circumstance where he bypasses AAA, but I wouldn’t put money on it unless injuries above him on the depth chart force their hand.
2012 Stats: Bradenton(A+):13 G/GS, 5-1, 2.55 ERA, 1.104 WHIP, 67 IP, 69 K, 21 BB, 3.29 SO/BB, 9.3 SO/9
Altoona (AA): 4 G/GS, 2-2, 5.17 ERA, 1.532 WHIP, 15.2 IP, 16 K, 2 BB, 8 SO/BB, 9.2 SO/9

ETA: June 2013

2. Jameson Taillon, RHP, 20, Bradenton (A+)
Taillon has been messed with a bit more than Cole in the low minors, but he’s still well along his initial ETA. His innings are still being heavily controlled, but should grow considerably as the season progresses. Next year is when we need to start paying attention to his numbers, as the Pirates typically don’t let pitchers loose until they reach Altoona. Taillon has struggled a bit on the mound over the past month as he’s not been getting nearly as many strikeouts as usual, but again there is little to read into pitching statistics at this stage of the minors.
2012 Stats: 17 G/GS, 5-7, 4.43 ERA, 1.193 WHIP, 91.1 IP, 75 K, 28 BB, 2.68 SO/BB, 7.4 SO/9
ETA: June 2014

3. Starling Marte, OF, 23, Indianapolis (AAA)
Any day now we’ll see Marte in the Majors, and he’s a prospect certainly worthy of getting excited about. He profiles to be a very similar prospect as McCutchen…but we have to remember that McCutchen has exceeded his supposed ceiling. In Marte I see a hitter who’s minor league numbers should translate to the Majors, a .270-.300 hitter who hits 15-20 home runs a year while having good gap power, plus speed, and a plus glove.
2012 Stats: 88 G, .286, 10 HR, 55 RBI, 18 SB, .349/.490/.839
ETA: July 2012

4. Alen Hanson, SS, 19, West Virginia (A)
One of the rising stars of minor league baseball; Hanson recently slotted in at #40 on Baseball America’s mid-season list despite not being on the pre-season list. If anything will ever help Pirates fans move on from the horrors of the Miguel Sano saga, it’s the note that Hanson plays the same position and was signed in that same summer from the same country for roughly $3 million less. I still wish Sano would be in the system, but Hanson’s presence helps cauterize that wound.
Hanson essentially skipped State College (he played 3 games there at the end of last season) and is one of the youngest players in the South Atlantic League, and certainly one of the youngest contributors. His bat has evolved well past even the most rosy prognosticator’s expectations in his second year in the U.S., namely in the development of a power swing that no one saw coming. Hanson’s 15 home runs lead West Virginia and rank 4th in the SALLY (the top two hitters are 22 and 23 years old, respectively).
2012 Stats: 88 G, .332, 15 HR, 49 RBI, 22 SB, .394/.585/.978
ETA: September 2014

5. Luis Heredia, RHP, 17, State College (SS A)
Not enough attention is paid to the Pirates’ third prospect with ace potential…which is somewhat understandable considering he’s still a kid in many respects, but his stuff ranks up there with anyone in the system and he’s already a full year ahead of his expected development (made the GCL as a 16 year-old before expected and spent only one season there before the Pirates deemed him too good for a league largely filled with college seniors and 18-19 year-old Latin prospects) and he’s looked good doing it. It’s hard to get excited about only five starts, but Heredia has a 1.12 ERA in 5 starts in State College as the youngest player in the NY-Penn League. Most importantly he’s shown a great improvement in control, which is any young flame thrower’s weakness. He’s on the fast track to success…but considering his age that fast track is still a cross-country ride.
2012 Stats: 5 G/GS, 1-1, 1.12 ERA, 1.083 WHIP, 24 IP, 14 K, 6 BB, 2.33 SO/BB, 5.2 SO/9
ETA: 2016

6. Josh Bell, OF, 19, West Virginia (A)
Despite being drafted last year Bell has the least amount of professional experience on this list, thanks to being a deadline signee last year (for a record $5 million for a non-first rounder, a figure that doesn’t stand to be topped any time soon) and having knee surgery just 15 games into the season. The good news is that the injury wasn’t a bad one and he is expected to return before the season ends, the bad news is that his development has been effectively put on ice for half a season. With only 66 professional plate appearances there’s little to be derived from his minimal stats this year, but his upside is very real. Bell has five tool potential, but it’s rare for players to actually develop all five and his glove projects him more as a corner outfielder than center fielder (not a concern for the Pirates, thankfully). Everything is upside with Bell and there really isn’t much else to say until we actually see him play an extended amount of time in the minors.
2012 Stats: 15 G, .274, 1 HR, 11 RBI, 1 SB, .288/.403/.691
ETA: Late 2015

7. Robbie Grossman, OF, 22, Altoona (AA)
Grossman struggled mightily upon starting the season in AA, but over the past month or so he’s been one of the best batters in the Eastern League, helping his numbers come close to looking good. His April was just about hopeless…but after the end he had to his season last year and his winter ball performance I won’t hold it against him. Grossman is building a profile as a weak starter/strong finisher. He’s known for his intense all-out demeanor and playing style, so it shouldn’t be too surprising that it takes a while for him to warm up. Grossman projects to be a workman third outfielder, a guy who’s not too naturally gifted but has a work ethic and intensity matched by few. He should be a solid #3/great #4 outfielder who can play all three outfield positions very well with more gap power than home run power…his batting average will never be terribly high, but he draws walks better than anyone else in the system, even though he struggled there mightily when adjusting to AA pitching (the transition from high A to AA ball is the hardest one in the minors, so struggles early on are to be expected). He’s still sitting at 55 walks drawn in 373 plate appearances in Altoona (14.7%), after collecting a minor league high of 104 in 616 last year (16.8%) in Bradenton. For comparison’s sake, Neil Walker leads the big league club with 34 in 356 (9.6%).
2012 Stats: 84 G, .254, 7 HR, 30 RBI, 9 SB, .371/.405/.776
ETA: Late 2013

8. Jeff Locke, LHP, 24, Indianapolis (AAA)
Locke tickles me endlessly, mostly because he’s still developing in the system according to plan even after the guy he was traded for flamed out in Atlanta and then again in Pittsburgh for a second time. Locke, Atlanta’s 2nd rounder in 2006, is putting together his finest minor league season yet and is looking very much like a legitimate middle-of-the-rotation starter who can strike out his fair share of batters. If the Pirates do call up a pitcher to start games this season it’ll be interested to see which of Locke or Owens they choose.
2012 Stats: 17 G/GS, 7-5, 2.95 ERA, 1.232 WHIP, 100.2 IP, 87 K, 25 BB, 3.48 SO/BB, 7.8 SO/9
ETA: August 2012

9. Rudy Owens, LHP, 24, Indianapolis (AAA)
Owens has seen a revival to his prospect status this year after an extremely forgettable first season in AAA that saw him shut down early (he’s only 6 innings away from matching his total from last year). When a prospect like Owens comes out of nowhere (unheralded 28th round selection in 2006) and shines in the low minors and then struggles mightily in AAA it sends up a lot of red flags, especially when that prospect is a fairly light-throwing lefty. This was to be Owens’ make or break year to say if he was a legitimate prospect, or just a lefty with good-enough stuff to fool AA caliber batters. He’s responded with a great season, one certainly worth of a call-up to the bigs if necessary. Locke and Owens are really interchangeable on this list, I just prefer Locke because he builds to be a better strikeout pitcher in the Majors and they both excel with control. Owens’ strikes me more as a prototypical left-handed groundball starter (#4/5 guy) while Locke as more of an all-around lefty (#3/4 guy).
2012 Stats: 17 G/GS, 7-4, 2.89 ERA, 1.123 WHIP, 106 IP, 76 K, 20 BB, 3.8 SO/BB, 6.5 SO/9
ETA: August 2012

10. Kyle McPherson, RHP, 24, Altoona (AA)
McPherson has become the forgotten prospect this year…but it’s not hard to see why. He was a riser in the system last season who promptly got hurt this year as soon as eyes started to focus on him. McPherson started the season on the minor league disabled list with shoulder inflammation, which is not a term anyone wants to hear, but he returned to the mount a month ago without requiring surgery and has looked decent. The big thing for McPherson this year is to survive the season while putting in full-time work the rest of the way without requiring surgery. He was set to start the season in Indianapolis, but has started this year out in Altoona and will remain there until his shoulder is at full-strength. To change gears on this entry, McPherson was showing all of the necessary elements of a #3 starter before and is one of the best control pitchers in the minors, which goes nicely with the fact that he has a good fastball, one that was touching 95 in extended spring training, meaning he’s always had a nice SO/BB figure, always a favorite stat of mine. He’s pitched solidly in his return to Altoona so far this year and should find himself in Indianapolis any day now.
2012 Stats: 5 G/GS, 1-4, 4.40 ERA, 1.186 WHIP, 28.2 IP, 23 K, 5 BB, 4.6 SO/BB, 7.2 SO/9
ETA: 2014

11. Gregory Polanco, OF, 20, West Virginia (A)
Polanco is one of this season’s biggest risers in the system and it’s not hard to see why. Polanco is growing into his extensive frame and added power to his repertoire this year, hitting 12 home runs so far (2nd behind only Hanson in WV) despite retaining his speed (34 steals). Polanco is definitely someone to watch in the coming years. Polanco has the ideal build for an outfielder and gets bonus points for being a lefty.
2012 Stats: 86 G, .316, 12 HR, 59 RBI, 34 SB, .379/.512/.891
ETA: 2015

12. Wyatt Mathisen, C, 18, GCL Pirates (Rk)
Yes, I have Mathisen as the system’s top rated catcher. Yes, I have Mathisen as the system’s top rated prospect from the 2012 draft (thank you God for telling Appel to go back into the draft). The top prep catching prospect spent last season playing shortstop, but don’t take that as a sign that he’s going to have to change positions, take that as a sign that Mathisen is an amazing athlete – prep schools almost always start their team’s best athletes at short stop or center field. Mathisen has the build to be a catcher and remain a catcher, one with plus defense and plus speed (for a catcher).
2012 Stats: 18 G, .322, 0 HR, 7 RBI, 4 SB, .406/.390/.796
ETA: 2016

13. Clay Holmes, RHP, 19, State College (SS A)
Holmes, like Bell, received a record deal last year ($1.2 million for a 9th rounder) that isn’t going to be beaten any time soon, and unlike a lot of the bonus babies the Pirates have signed to big money deals only to see little to no return from in the low minors, Holmes has looked dominant in practice sessions and has carried that over into his first few minor league games. Holmes has an ideal starter’s build (6’5”, 230) and a great change-up to go with a solid fastball and curve combo. He’s a groundball innings-eater type who could rise through the system fairly quickly, despite his slow start.
2012 Stats: 5 G/GS, 2-1, 1.14 ERA, 23.2 IP, 15 K, 11 BB, 1.36 SO/BB, 5.7 SO

14. Barrett Barnes, OF, 20, State College (SS A)
Hey, a raw, toolsy outfielder? In the Pirates system? Get outta here…
The Pirates scouts definitely have a thing for these types of players. Barnes has four tool potential and looks like as pure of a center fielder that exists in the system. Barnes will be an interesting prospect to follow in the ensuing years because he certainly has all the tools necessary to be a damn fine 2nd tier prospect.
2012 Stats: 22 G, .280, 2 HR, 13 RBI, 7 SB, .396/.400/.796

15. Bryan Morris, RHP, 25, Indianapolis (AAA)
I balk at putting relief pitchers in the top 20 for obvious reasons, but Morris has a pedigree that deserves it. Unfortunately he’s the only asset remaining from the Jason Bay deal and he’s no longer a starter, but he profiles to be a good candidate to be a closer in the Majors now. He’s pitching in the set-up man role in Indianapolis (prospects rarely close in AAA, as the job is held by journeymen veterans Tim Wood (13 saves) and Doug Slaten (8), but Morris has still managed 5 of his own. Most importantly his SO/9 has risen since the move to the bullpen while his BB/9 number has fallen. Morris could be what Daniel Moskos should have been…which is so sad in so many ways.
2012 Stats: 29 G/0 GS, 1-2, 5 SVs, 2.58 ERA, 1.108 WHIP, 52.1 IP, 54 K, 12 BB, 4.5 SO/BB, 9.3 SO/9
ETA: September 2012

16. Alex Dickerson, 1B, 22, Bradenton (A+)
Dickerson was a beast of a hitter for Utah in college and has done well for himself so far in the minors. Dickerson is an interesting prospect to watch partially because he’s almost by himself at the position, but also because he has one of the best power builds and power swings of anyone in the system, but he’s yet to hit for power consistently with a wooden bat. He may be another in the long line of AAAA 1B prospects the Pirates have gone through, or he may have the swing to escape it…only time will tell.
2012 Stats: 86 G, .296, 8 HR, 64 RBI, 7 SB, .355/.442/.797

17. Justin Wilson, LHP, 24, Indianapolis (AAA)
The Indianapolis rotation certainly isn’t short on 24 year-old lefties. Wilson is one of those pitchers that you never really know what you’re going to get. On the days where he’s on he is comparable to the best pitchers in this organization…on the days he’s off you’re in for a long night. The good news here is that his SO/9 number is better than it’s been in his previous three seasons in the minors, while his BB/9 number is slowly shrinking. He profiles to be a bottom-of-the-rotation lefty, but only because of his inconsistency issues.
2012 Stats: 19 G/GS, 7-4, 4.06 ERA, 1.194 WHIP, 99.2 IP, 102 K, 48 BB, 2.13 SO/BB, 9.2 SO/9
ETA: 2013

18. Victor Black, RHP, 24, Altoona (AA)
Black was a sandwich round pick in 2009 (49th overall) and was one of the cheaper pitchers drafted that year by the Pirates, largely because he was drafted as a reliever (still BA’s 50th ranked prospect in that draft and top pure relief prospect). Black’s career was, like so many other top Pirates pitching prospects, because of injuries. A combination of shoulder and bicep injuries limited him to only 4.2 innings in 2010. 2011 was fairly rough to Black as he was recovering, but his arm has returned to full-strength this year and he’s been a dominant reliever in AA, finishing 19 of the 31 games he’s appeared in (his 6 saves lead the Curve).
2012 Stats: 31 G, 1-1, 6 SVs, 1.42 ERA, 1.368 WHIP, 38 IP, 49 K, 18 BB, 2.72 SO/BB, 11.6 SO/9
ETA: 2014

19. Nick Kingham, RHP, 20, West Virginia (A)
One of the 2010 bonus babies, Kingham was a quickly rising prospect in the system after pristine numbers in State College last year, but has struggled mightily with the promotion to West Virginia this year. Kingham’s stats this year are putrid, thanks in large part to a high home run ratio, but his upside is similar to McPherson’s and his season last year was good enough to buy him a year on the list. He profiles to be a strong innings-eater type with a low/mid 90s fastball and a plus curve and changeup.
2012 Stats: 18 G/GS, 1-7, 6.06 ERA, 1.462 WHIP, 78.2 IP, 73 K, 27 BB, 2.70 SO/BB, 8.4 SO/9

20. Tony Sanchez, C, 24, Indianapolis (AAA)
It sucks when an injury derails a kid’s career. Sanchez took two pitches to the face within a couple weeks of each other in 2010 and the second one knocked him out for the season (with an .870 OPS at the time). That second pitch to the cranium effectively cost him a year of development (he was in-line for a call-up when it happened) and his bat has gone south since then. Sanchez was also drafted as a defensive catcher, but his caught stealing numbers in the minors would make even Rod Barajas blush. I’m keeping him on this list because of his pedigree and upside, but Sanchez profiles to be little more than a platoon catching prospect at this point.
2012 Stats: Altoona (AA): 40 G, .277, 0 HR, 17 RBI, 1 SB, .370/.390/.760
Indianapolis (AAA): 27 G, .245, 4 HR, 11 RBI, 0 SB, .308/.429/.737

ETA: 2013

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
07-16-2012, 02:44 AM
Blitzburgh87*

vCash: 500
Very nice write up sir. Very impressive. LETS GO BUCS!

Old
07-16-2012, 04:55 AM
sniugneP

Excellent write up. Had Appel signs with us, I think he would rate 3rd best prospect after Cole and Taillon.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:07 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Outstanding work Big. A great read. Much appreciated.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

And might I add: the Cubs suck.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Vos

I can't wait for Marte to make it in Pittsburgh. I've been to five Indy games this year, and he is really fun to watch. He is being more selective at the plate, while still having good opposite field power. Indy's park is a big field like PNC, so power numbers should translate well.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Illinest

The only player who I feel is misplaced is Polanco.

My list would have Polanco, Wilson, and Sanchez a few spots higher. Owens and Locke a few spots lower.

I think Owens and Locke have a chance to be better than Maholm and Duke - for example - but I can't say that I expect more.

I am more interested in the riskier, higher upside players I guess. Sanchez's stock is down but if he gets comfortable at the plate again then he could still be a pretty good hitting catcher. He controls the plate even now and if the power returns then he's a prospect.
Wilson has a higher upside than the other two lefties if he can solve the control problems.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:20 AM
cassius

I'm calling it right now: second half collapse

Old
07-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Do the Pirates have a rivalry going on with any team, along the lines of the Ravens or the Flyers?

Old
07-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Illinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Do the Pirates have a rivalry going on with any team, along the lines of the Ravens or the Flyers?
I hate the Brewers and the Cardinals. It's a little bit less intense now that Tony Larussa and Fat Prince have moved on but in my opinion those are the hated rivals right now.

Braves always seem to screw us and I still have some leftover ill will from before the divisions were re-aligned for the Mets.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Being Gene Malkovich

Quote:
Football and hockey are contact sports, so the rivalries aren't the same, but along with the Brewers, Cardinals and Braves, it's good to see us competing neck and neck wtih the Reds again.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Heh. I do believe that I have dibs on that call.

The team certainly is not making the playoffs, it just has too many flaws, which have been masked by them winning a lot of one run games early in the year. Their pitching has been pitching over their head all year, and have been very lucky from an injury standpoint, especially with players who have not been known to be durable. The offense has come awake, but are now playing above their heads when they were playing below where they would reasonable have been thought to be earlier in the year.

All in all I hope that Huntington does not fear for his job and go all moron and make trades of the bulk of the future based on some illusion of what this team really is.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post
I hate the Brewers and the Cardinals. It's a little bit less intense now that Tony Larussa and Fat Prince have moved on but in my opinion those are the hated rivals right now.

Braves always seem to screw us and I still have some leftover ill will from before the divisions were re-aligned for the Mets.
But do the Brewers and Cardinals hate you? I would assume it's a Steelers Bengals type deal where they hate the Steelers, but Steeler fans look down at Bengals as the little baby brother that "tries" to compete with his older brother but can never really come close.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:59 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
No, no we don't. Not at that level. Gotta be good at some point to have those rivalries. In the 70's, we had that with Phillies. Late 80's, early 90's, we had a bit with the Mets, but that might have been a bit one sided on our side.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

Quote:
But do the Brewers and Cardinals hate you? I would assume it's a Steelers Bengals type deal where they hate the Steelers, but Steeler fans look down at Bengals as the little baby brother that "tries" to compete with his older brother but can never really come close.
Yep. And I really wouldn't even say the Cardinals are at that level (they're more like the Seahawks or something). Re-alignment squashed our three biggest rivalries (Phillies, Braves, Mets) and two decades of irrelevance killed them. Milwaukee and Cincinnati may turn into legitimate rivalries if all three can stay competitive for an extended period of time...but the only team that I can say I hate for anything they've done involving the Pirates is Milwaukee, and we haven't put up enough of a fight for them to hate us.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
No, no we don't. Not at that level. Gotta be good to at some point to have those rivalries. In the 70's, we had that with Phillies. Late 80's, early 90's, we had a bit with the Mets, but that might have been a bit one sided on our side.
I remember those, and hating the Phillies when I was a kid. You forget the Mets as well. Remember when one of them, it may have been Gooden, called a young Pirates team an embarrasment or something like that because they were enthusiastic after a win against them during a good season after many years of the Pirates being down?

Old
07-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Don't jinx it. Someone made a good point yesterday that because of the Pirates past failures people will see this as "the start of the bad slope". It's one result. Still a long way to go.

Need to do with a win in the next series though.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Don't jinx it. Someone made a good point yesterday that because of the Pirates past failures people will see this as "the start of the bad slope". It's one result. Still a long way to go.

Need to do with a win in the next series though.
They are not going to have the epic meltdown that they did last year where they won something like 15% of their remaining games. But chances are that they will come back to earth to a degree. They have had a number of good breaks that tend to even out, both in results compared to preformance numbers and health that say that at some point they will fall to the mean. But no, not even I think that they will repeat what happened last year. However, given that they will level off at some point, giving up a lot of the future for some misguided push now is what I would worry about if I were a Pirate's fan.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

If the Pirates go all-out to acquire a talent that is going to be on the roster for the foreseeable future, then I see no reason to complain. 2013 was the year the team was supposed to start making a real push...they're a year ahead of schedule, but our top prospects are all getting close to the Majors now.

I don't want us going out and getting a pure rental, though. That would be suicide.

Also remember, the Pirates have an extremely favorable schedule the rest of the season, after having one of the most absurdly difficult Aprils in history. Even if this team does settle down and nothing else is added we should still safely get that .500 monkey off our back, if nothing else. We've got a stretch of 9 consecutive games against the Cubs and Astros at the end of this month and a stretch of 12 in 18 against those two in September. That's huge. On the flip side we only have 6 games left against St. Louis.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Jerry Meals.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:32 PM
End of Line
Human After All

I can see the Bucco's and Reds rivalry coming back for sure.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
07-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Skillzz
Registered Boozer

vCash: 450
Next 5 series:
@ Colorado
vs. Miami
vs. Cubs
@ Houston
@ Cubs

Save for Miami, who is decent, but still under .500, those are three of the bottom four teams in the NL. They really need to take advantage of this stretch. Of these 16 games (Houston is a 4 game series), I think anything below 10-6 would be a disappointment.

BTW, thanks for the prospect write up. Much appreciated. Very informative and thorough.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
What games tonight could affect us, if at all then?

Old
07-16-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
What games tonight could affect us, if at all then?
Cincinnati starts a series @ Arizona tonight and we start our series @ Colorado.

Need Cincy to lose.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:58 PM
bathroomSTAAL
Tylenol and beer

Hopefully Pedro can make contact and put some balls in the air this series. The air should do the rest.

Closed Thread