HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2012-2013 Possible Line Combos

Old
08-09-2012, 08:24 AM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I'm back to at least wanting to see how it meshes at the start of the season, given how well they ended the season with Umberger - and especially given that Dubinsky-Anisimov-Prospal was apparently a proven combo in New York.
If by start of the season, you mean training camp. Sure. However, I think the team is just asking for problems if they think that is 2/3rd's of a competitive line in the West. Brassard would have to show something that he has never shown with any consistency and Cam would have to make a monumental jump.

Could you run these guys as a second line? Sure. Why bother? What are we trying to accomplish? Brassard's offense doesn't make up for his other deficiencies and pairing him with Atkinson is likely to aggravate the situation more than help it.

If you want to pair these guys up against some of the bottom teams in the East, you might get away with it. But we would have to see dramatic improvement in both players, especially Brassard, to make that a viable line playing the better teams in the West. You are just asking to get taken advantage of.

We have so many options for the top six, I have no idea why we would want to consider seriously one of the weakest forward combos in the defensive zone we will have on the entire team. That could be the weakest.

Last edited by blahblah: 08-09-2012 at 09:50 AM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:55 AM
cslebn

Trying a hand at this, though I doubt we'll see steady lines throughout the year while Richards experiments. There's a lot of new faces and new potential combos with a lot of 2nd lines.

Dubi - Anisimov - Umberger
Prospal - RyJo - Brass
Foligno - Letestu - Atkinson
Gillies/Boll - Dmac - Dorse

JMFJ - Wiz
Tyutin - NikNik
Aucoin - Murray/Savard/Moore/Erixon/whoever

Bob
Eddy the Eagle

I like this because the first line would be able to play great D against other opposing top lines and each player on the ice could take the draw. The second line concerns me a bit defensively but I would let Johan and Brass swap out a bit as it goes. I'd really like to find a better 4th line LW....

cslebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslebn View Post
Eddy the Eagle
I understand you like making Gretzky's head bleed, but it's time to put down NHL 94

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:07 PM
cslebn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I understand you like making Gretzky's head bleed, but it's time to put down NHL 94
actually it was from playing street hockey as a kid; my buddy from chicago had a goalie tarp we put over the goal that was ed belfour. I figured a tarp could stop more pucks than mason.

that said, Gretzky bleeding is always good

cslebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 04:00 PM
BJFan1

I've been giving some hard thought on this topic... what it would look like. I remember at the end of last season, we had a "top" line that gained a little traction playing together, so I'll start with them on my top.

L1: Umberger - Brassard - Atkinson

L2: Prospal/Foligno - Dubinsky - Johnanson (RyJo / Dub switch off playing center, gives RyJo some room to learn since he got screwed last season, but also takes pressure off of him to give him some room to work, plus some chemistry between Prospal and Duby. Put Foligno on this line and you got a little more offensive threat.)

L3: Anisimov - Letestu - Foligno/Prospal

L4: Gilles/Boll - MacKenzie - Dorsett

D1: Wiz - JMFJ

D2: Tyutin - Nikitin

D3: Murray - Aucoin

Sub1: Moore
Sub2: Erixon (starts in AHL)

G1: Bobrovsky
G2: TBD (meaning will it be a Mason that knows how to play or the one that lets in soft pucks)

There's my thoughts. Now, as long as the season actually happens...

BJFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:47 PM
ZachACA

Unless he completely dominates in camp, I feel like RyJo should start in Springfield on their top line, let him see if he can be successful in a league like that before we're expecting him to dominate up here.

Umberger - Brassard - Atkinson (this line had good success together, keep them together until it doesn't work)
Foligno - Dubinsky - Anisimov (could be our most exciting line, all guys wanting a bigger spotlight on the team)
Prospal - Letestu - *Edit*Dorsett (could easily be our most defensively sound line and can put in goals)
Gillies - MacKenzie - Boll (wish we could drop Boll, bring up Bass)

Johnson - Wisniewski
Nikitin - Tyutin
Moore - Aucoin (I think Murray plays 9 games and then goes back to Juniors, no need to eat a year of his contract this year, we're stacked at D)

Savard - Erixon is the top line in Springfield. Let Prout or Holden be the seventh guy.

Last edited by ZachACA: 08-10-2012 at 06:53 PM.
ZachACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachACA View Post
Unless he completely dominates in camp, I feel like RyJo should start in Springfield on their top line, let him see if he can be successful in a league like that before we're expecting him to dominate up here.

Umberger - Brassard - Atkinson (this line had good success together, keep them together until it doesn't work)
Foligno - Dubinsky - Anisimov (could be our most exciting line, all guys wanting a bigger spotlight on the team)
Prospal - Letestu - Dubinsky (could easily be our most defensively sound line and can put in goals)
Gillies - MacKenzie - Boll (wish we could drop Boll, bring up Bass)

Johnson - Wisniewski
Nikitin - Tyutin
Moore - Aucoin (I think Murray plays 9 games and then goes back to Juniors, no need to eat a year of his contract this year, we're stacked at D)

Savard - Erixon is the top line in Springfield. Let Prout or Holden be the seventh guy.
Dubinsky getting double shifted? He's gonna be spent by the second week of the season.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:53 PM
ZachACA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Dubinsky getting double shifted? He's gonna be spent by the second week of the season.
Ahh, meant to type Dorsett, crud.

ZachACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Fist a couple of givens. We all have admitted and come to grips with the fact we won't really have a top line, there is some talent that may get there at some point but not at this time. We also don't really have a classic third checking line. Three fair 2nd lines is probably the best description of the forward core. To that end, not going to label them 1,2,3 or even 2 A,B,C; in keeping with the Capt America theme I am dubbing them the Red, White, and Blue lines. (Note: the Russian flag is also red, white, and blue.) The expectation is for the TOI to be evenly divided, really rolling four lines. The order is not important and they can be matched-up as needed. Think it provides a good overall balance. Play hard, play fast, make it hurt, keep it close and own the third period.

Red: Dubinsky-Anisimov-Atkinson
With as many new faces take advantage of what existing chemistry there is, so we start with the NYR pair. Anisimov gives you some size at center, necessary to compete in the Western Conference. The thought is Dubinsky should have a comeback year and will score some goals. Together the pair is defensively responsible. Atkinson is probably as close as we have to a sniper, but is still a little green around the edges defensively so putting him here gives some balance and the opportunity to learn without being too much of a liability. I also like having Dubinsky riding shotgun for Cam, as there will be some that would like to take a run at a slightly undersized threat, especially if he can start to light it up.

White: Umberger-Brassard-Foligno
Again there is some history here with RJ and Brass. I know many have advocated keeping the CUB line together. My opinion is that it is just too much of a defensive liability. Why just ask for it? Splitting Brass and Atkinson give a better over all balance, for now and Cam learns his trade things can change. Foligno brings a scoring touch and a little bit of nasty to the table. Just feels like a good fit here.

Blue: Prospal-Johansen-Letestu
Can't think of anyone on the CBJ I would rather have working along side RyJo as he learns than Vinny. He is the consummate professional and should really help as well as providing a scoring touch. Letestu on the other side can help as well. About as good a situation as you could ask for to boost the career of your future #1 center.

Black: Gillies/Boll-Dmac-Dorsett
As in Black & . Not a lot else need be said. Hard hitting, forechecking line with enough skill to add some offense.

Tyutin-Nikitin
Wiz-JJ
Aucoin-(Murray/Moore/Erixson/Savard)

Hard to know who steps up for the the 6th spot. Think best two of the four "youngs" stay up and rotate through the 5/6 slot with Aucoin. My guess is Murray and Moore with Erixon and Savard in SPR. At least until the inevitable man games missed.

Well there it is. It is a roster with a lot of depth, but not a lot of top end skill. There is some promise and some hope for the future, just not sure when that future will arrive. It is a foundation upon which a successful program can be built, but even that foundation won't be complete with the goal question yet to be settled.

Should be a fun year.

Join the Battle

I post, therefore I am.

Last edited by Roadman: 08-11-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 09:35 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Fist a couple of givens. We all have admitted and come to grips with the fact we won't really have a top line, there is some talent that may get there at some point but not at this time. We also don't really have a classic third checking line. Three fair 2nd lines is probably the best description of the forward core. To that end, not going to label them 1,2,3 or even 2 A,B,C; in keeping with the Capt America theme I am dubbing them the Red, White, and Blue lines. (Note: the Russian flag is also red, white, and blue.) The expectation is for the TOI to be evenly divided, really rolling four lines. The order is not important and they can be matched-up as needed. Think it provides a good overall balance. Play hard, play fast, make it hurt, keep it close and own the third period.

With as many new faces take advantage of what existing chemistry there is, so we start with the NYR pair. Anisimov gives you some size at center, necessary to compete in the Western Conference. The thought is Dubinsky should have a comeback year and will score some goals. Together the pair is defensively responsible. Atkinson is probably as close as we have to a sniper, but is still a little green around the edges defensively so putting him here gives some balance and the opportunity to learn without being too much of a liability. I also like having Dubinsky riding shotgun for Cam, as there will be some that would like to take a run at a slightly undersized threat, especially if he can start to light it up.

Again there is some history here with RJ and Brass. I know many have advocated keeping the CUB line together. My opinion is that it is just too much of a defensive liability. Why just ask for it? Splitting Brass and Atkinson give a better over all balance, for now and Cam learns his trade things can change. Foligno brings a scoring touch and a little bit of nasty to the table. Just feels like a good fit here.

Can't think of anyone on the CBJ I would rather have working along side RyJo as he learns than Vinny. He is the consummate professional and should really help as well as providing a scoring touch. Letestu on the other side can help as well. About as good a situation as you could ask for to boost the career of your future #1 center.

As in Black & . Not a lot else need be said. Hard hitting, forechecking line with enough skill to add some offense.

Tyutin-Nikitin
Wiz-JJ

Hard to know who steps up for the the 6th spot. Think best two of the four "youngs" stay up and rotate through the 5/6 slot with Aucoin. My guess is Murray and Moore with Erixon and Savard in SPR. At least until the inevitable man games missed.

Well there it is. It is a roster with a lot of depth, but not a lot of top end skill. There is some promise and some hope for the future, just not sure when that future will arrive. It is a foundation upon which a successful program can be built, but even that foundation won't be complete with the goal question yet to be settled.

Should be a fun year.

Join the Battle

I'm (not really) pete goegan and I approve this lineup!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:

Tyutin-Nikitin
Wiz-JJ

Should be a fun year.

Join the Battle
Was going through it in my head the other day and came up with the same line combos, assuming Johansen sticks. I'd previously said that he needs to be playing top 6 minutes somewhere, but thought Vinny and Letestu would be a good fit as far as linemates go. The other three lines just make sense to me, and I'm glad you chose a color scheme to name them because who knows how ice time is gonna be split.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:10 AM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:

Tyutin-Nikitin
Wiz-JJ
I would go with this to start the season. I am in the 'send Johansen to the AHL' camp unless he really earns a spot. But assuming he makes it with the club, I like this.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:53 AM
FlaggerX

to make a point, what really defines these lines is the checking line. Your top line will be defined by the opposing coach, because that's the line he'll try to match his checkers up against. You define your own third line as the line you send out against their regulars. Your fourth line is also defensive, but used mostly to give the top nine a break unless you're really deep. Dubinsky and Anisimov are both noted for their defensive play, so you don't send them out with Atkinson who's a scorer.

So lets start be defining top nine players by their abilities

Brassard (offense)
Atkinson (offense)
Umberger (2 way)
Prospal - O
Johansen - offensee.
Foligno - 2 way
Letestu - O
Dubinsky 2 way
Anisimov - 2 way
Dorsett - Defense

That's ten guys to fill nine spots. Injuries take that down, and if RyJo isn't ready his stay in the AHL also brings it down to nine, but for now that's leave it at ten. If Calvert regains his form we could be up to eleven. So I think the best place to start is to decide which of these players can make up the checking line. Which leaves :

Umberger
Anisimov
Dubinsky
Foligno
Dorsett

Dorsett I put on there not for his scoring even though he potted 12 goals last year, but for his attitude, defense and never quit style makes him a natural. When he's on the energy line we'll know we're contenders, but that's where i get the Anisimov-Dubinsky-Dorsett checking line.

Brass is clearly our best playmaker so he centers the top line. Someone can take faceoffs if need be, but that's one area where he has clearly improved. Johansen (if ready) or Letestu centers the next scoring line. Prospal, Atkinson and the two guys who aren't on the checking line fill in the rest. If we add a forward with more top six potential then we reshuffle again. Perhaps Umberger perhaps dropping to the checking line. If Ryjo really is ready to play, and Calvert comes back and we stay healthy, then our fourth line may look like Calvert-Letestu--????

I think it wrong to think offense first, but defense first and then look at which players can fit in what role. Given that we don't have Malkin and Crosby like players to make a truly obvious top line, start with the checking line and build out from there.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:58 AM
candyman82

Quote:

Tyutin-Nikitin
Wiz-JJ

Should be a fun year.

Join the Battle
Great work, these are among the most intriguing line combos I have seen

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
to make a point, what really defines these lines is the checking line. Your top line will be defined by the opposing coach, because that's the line he'll try to match his checkers up against. You define your own third line as the line you send out against their regulars. Your fourth line is also defensive, but used mostly to give the top nine a break unless you're really deep. Dubinsky and Anisimov are both noted for their defensive play, so you don't send them out with Atkinson who's a scorer.

So lets start be defining top nine players by their abilities

Brassard (offense)
Atkinson (offense)
Umberger (2 way)
Prospal - O
Johansen - offensee.
Foligno - 2 way
Letestu - O
Dubinsky 2 way
Anisimov - 2 way
Dorsett - Defense

That's ten guys to fill nine spots. Injuries take that down, and if RyJo isn't ready his stay in the AHL also brings it down to nine, but for now that's leave it at ten. If Calvert regains his form we could be up to eleven. So I think the best place to start is to decide which of these players can make up the checking line. Which leaves :

Umberger
Anisimov
Dubinsky
Foligno
Dorsett

Dorsett I put on there not for his scoring even though he potted 12 goals last year, but for his attitude, defense and never quit style makes him a natural. When he's on the energy line we'll know we're contenders, but that's where i get the Anisimov-Dubinsky-Dorsett checking line.

Brass is clearly our best playmaker so he centers the top line. Someone can take faceoffs if need be, but that's one area where he has clearly improved. Johansen (if ready) or Letestu centers the next scoring line. Prospal, Atkinson and the two guys who aren't on the checking line fill in the rest. If we add a forward with more top six potential then we reshuffle again. Perhaps Umberger perhaps dropping to the checking line. If Ryjo really is ready to play, and Calvert comes back and we stay healthy, then our fourth line may look like Calvert-Letestu--????

I think it wrong to think offense first, but defense first and then look at which players can fit in what role. Given that we don't have Malkin and Crosby like players to make a truly obvious top line, start with the checking line and build out from there.
The point was to not send out offensive and defensive lines but to assemble three balanced lines and the Black line. By your own player definition, each of the proposed lines contains 2 two way players and a offensive player. Balance, each line defensively responsible but offensively capable. Since we don't have the high end talent try and make match up as difficult as possible.

It's all a preliminary guess anyway. There is a very long way to go befor opening night.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:56 PM
NYR713

Hey CBJ folks. I was cruising through to see what you guys were thinking of Dubi and AA and this thread seemed to have the most current discussion. I thought maybe I could offer an honest evaluation... which some of you seem to already know.

First, Dubi was one of my favorite players... and still will be. This guy brings tons of heart and when he is relied upon, like when Gaborik was hurt for some of the 10-11 season, he'll put up points. I personally feel that last season was a fluke for him in stats and a lot had to do with Tortorella's questionable coaching and lineup decisions. Dubi never even got a true shot to play top 6 minutes last season with Richards and healthy Gabby on the team. He went from leading the team in scoring the season before to being relegated to the 3rd line so they could "spread the wealth" if you will.

But, he forechecks hard, hits anything that moves and will sacrifice his body for his team and stick up for teammates. Just don't expect him to win many fights... unless he fights Mike Richards who he seems to own on a regular basis..haha. I think if he's given the chance to be a regular top 6 guy, he'll be a 25-30 goal scorer... especially outside of Tortorella's horrible offensive system.

AA is slightly frustrating because you can see all the offensive skill he has but hasn't put it all together yet. That isn't to say he's lazy... meaning not the Zherdev type. He's still solid defensively, positionally sound and gives his all. One day, possibly this season, he's going to bloom offensively and could also end up a 20-30 goal scorer when he hits his prime years. Just don't expect much physical play, even though he's 6'4" 200+.

2 seasons ago one of our best lines was Dubi - AA - Callahan and both players also played well with Prospal on occasion. Both can play C or Wing and both are solid PK'ers (which is now a big question mark in NY). I don't know enough about CBJ's to say where they'll fit in your lineup but I've seen Umberger and Prospal enough to say that if one of these guys can move to RW, any combination of those 4 players would be a pretty solid line.

I wish you guys the best this season and I'll be watching CBJ games when I can.

NYR713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:28 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks for the info, NYR713, most of us are very excited to see how the new guys change our team. Needless to say, many of us will also be following the Rangers closely and pulling for your new guy, too!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:51 PM
BrankoRadivojevic

Defensemen headed to Springfield

With a LOT of young, quality defensemen attempting to break the Blue Jackets this year, I was wondering who you guys think is going to get sent down. Thanks.

Erixon
Murray
Savard
Moore

BrankoRadivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 07:57 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrankoRadivojevic View Post
With a LOT of young, quality defensemen attempting to break the Blue Jackets this year, I was wondering who you guys think is going to get sent down. Thanks.

Erixon
Murray
Savard
Moore
Erixon and Savard.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:01 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Assuming Erixon comes into camp with the attitude he wants to be here and he's going to take a starting job away from someone else, Murray gets 9-game tryout, then back to juniors.
Savard starts the season in Springfield.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:03 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Erixon and Savard.
My picks too for now, but lots can change after camp.

08-18-2012, 08:12 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Erixon and Savard.
Now that I think about it, this might make more sense than what I posted. If you send Murray to juniors, can you recall him? If you send Erixson to Springfield, you CAN recall him when the inevitable injuries happen.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 08:15 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Now that I think about it, this might make more sense than what I posted. If you send Murray to juniors, can you recall him? If you send Erixson to Springfield, you CAN recall him when the inevitable injuries happen.
Nope.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:14 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

God, why do I feel like I'm the only one here with a ton of faith in Savard? I really think he's going to turn out the best out of him, Erixon, and Moore. I'm afraid he might not get his chance here though, which would be a shame.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 09:18 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
God, why do I feel like I'm the only one here with a ton of faith in Savard? I really think he's going to turn out the best out of him, Erixon, and Moore. I'm afraid he might not get his chance here though, which would be a shame.
I see a lot of Savard love, but for the life of me I don't understand it. He skates like Bernie Kosar, and really, really soft. I know he's very young, and the potential is there, but right now, I really prefer Moore's game, warts and all.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote