Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Finland Youth Teams - U20, U18, U17 & U16

Old
11-07-2010, 09:10 AM
SveduPelle

vCash: 500
Finland Youth Teams - U20, U18, U17 & U16

This is a thread where we can discuss the rosters and individual players in all of the Finnish national youth teams and see how they do in the different tournaments during the season. Personally I think that the national team games are a great international showcase for the talented finnish players and that these games can indicate what kind och talents we have got in Finnish hockey.

During the previous weeks almost all of the different Finnish youth teams have been announced for tournaments during November.
And there are some very interesting and promising guys in the rosters of the various youth teams:

U20 Team to the Karlovy Vary 4 nations tournament 12.11-14.11:

Goalies:
Sami Aittokallio, Ilves
Joni Ortio, TPS

Defenders:
Jyrki Jokipakka, Ilves
Tommi Kivistö, Jokerit
Nico Manelius, Jokerit
Olli Määttä, JYP/D Team
Juha-Pekka Pietilä, Pelicans
Sami Vatanen, JYP
Jesse Virtanen, Lukko

Forwards:
Joel Armia, Ässät
Joonas Donskoi, Kärpät
Oula Palve, Jyp
Julius Junttila, Kärpät
Joel Mustonen, Skellefteå
Iiro Pakarinen, KalPa
Jesper Piitulainen, SaPKo
Teemu Pulkkinen, Jokerit
Toni Rajala, Ilves
Miikka Salomäki, Kärpät
Henri Tuominen, Ilves
Jaakko Turtiainen, HPK
Valtteri Virkkunen, Blues

Injuries: Mikael Granlund, HIFK

Interesting: Due to Mikael Granlunds injury Oula Palve has been called in and defender Olli Määttä born 94 gets a chance to show what he can do. Almost everyone in this roster has played in the SM-Liiga this season which is a good sign when we are getting closer to the WJC. This won´t be the final roster sent to the WJC but on the other hand it won´t change a lot.

The players which I´m curious about are Oula Palve, Joel Mustonen, Olli Määttä and Juha-Pekka Pietilä. These players are pretty unknown for me so it will be fun to see if they could challenge the other safe guys for a spot in the final WJC roster.

U18 Team to the 4 nations tournament in Sundsvall Sweden 12.11- 14.11:

Goalies:
1 Samu Perhonen, JYP
30 Richard Ullberg, HIFK

Defenders:
2 Roni Rukajärvi, Kärpät
3 Henri Auvinen, JYP
4 Ahti Oksanen, Blues
5 Ville Pokka, Kärpät
7 Otso Rantakari, HIFK
8 Joonas Valkonen, Blues
9 Niklas Nevalainen, Ässät

Forwards:
12 Henri Ikonen, KalPa
13 Markus Hännikäinen, Jokerit
15 Ville Järveläinen, HPK
16 Heikki Liedes, HPK
18 Matti Lamberg, Kärpät
19 Aleksi Rekonen, Jokerit
20 Kalle Torniainen, Djurgården
21 Sami Salminen, HIFK
23 Tomi Wilenius, Ilves
25 Markus Granlund, HIFK
26 Ville Ahlgren, Ässät
27 Henri Ruotsalainen, Blues
28 Toni Kallela, KalPa

Interesting: 3 underaged players in this group with Kalle Torniainen, Henri Ikonen and Ville Pokka. Ville Pokka born 94 played his first SM-Liiga game with Kärpät yesterday.
It´s nice to see that slowly some of these players already get the chance to represent their teams in the finnish SM-Liiga!

Injury: Teuvo Teräväinen has been injured for a longer time now and I don´t know his current status, but he is definitely a guy that should be part of this roster when healthy.

U17 Team against the czechs this coming week:

Goalies:
Ville Husso, HIFK
Janne Juvonen, Jokipojat

Defenders:
Mikko Lehtonen, TPS
Rasmus Ristolainen, TPS
Santeri Saari, Jokerit
Samuel Salmivirta, HIFK
Mikael Seppälä, KalPa
Juuso Vainio, HPK
Mikko Vainonen, HIFK

Forwards:
Samu Markkula, JYP
Jaakko Hautamäki, Lukko
Juuso Ikonen, Blues
Oskari Lehtinen, TPS
Aleksi Mustonen, Jokerit
Topi Nättinen, JYP
Eemeli Pöytälaakso, Kärpät
Aleksi Rutanen, Blues
Saku Salminen, HIFK
Jonatan Tanus, Tappara
Ville Tenosalmi, JYP
Niklas Tikkinen, Blues
Mikko Virtanen, KooKoo

Interesting: Definitely some really talented players in this squad with Sami Salminen´s younger brother Saku, Oskari Lehtinen, Aleksi Mustonen, Jonatan Tanus, Topi Nättinen, Rasmus Ristolainen and Ville Husso.
Sasha Barkov born 95 should also in my opinion get a chance in this roster. Couple of days ago Sasha and Jonatan Tanus played for Tappara U20 Team and both got an assist. These are guys to look out for!

In general I´m very intrigued with many guys in the different youth teams and I personally think that the future for finnish hockey looks brighter than in many many years!

I´m gonna try to update this thread as much as I can but I hope that all of you Finland fans can help me to keep this thread up to date!

SveduPelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 09:16 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Despite the topic only mentioning the IHJWC, there's already an established thread in place for the escapades of the U20 group in here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=783776

It is not a bad idea to keep track of the rest of the junior groups, IMO.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 10:08 AM
SveduPelle

This thread discusses the different youth teams during the whole season and not only regarding the WJC

Old
11-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SveduPelle View Post

U18 Team to the 4 nations tournament in Sundsvall Sweden 12.11- 14.11:

Goalies:
1 Samu Perhonen, JYP
30 Richard Ullberg, HIFK

Defenders:
2 Roni Rukajärvi, Kärpät
3 Henri Auvinen, JYP
4 Ahti Oksanen, Blues
5 Ville Pokka, Kärpät
7 Otso Rantakari, HIFK
8 Joonas Valkonen, Blues
9 Niklas Nevalainen, Ässät

Forwards:
12 Henri Ikonen, KalPa
13 Markus Hännikäinen, Jokerit
15 Ville Järveläinen, HPK
16 Heikki Liedes, HPK
18 Matti Lamberg, Kärpät
19 Aleksi Rekonen, Jokerit
20 Kalle Torniainen, Djurgården
21 Sami Salminen, HIFK
23 Tomi Wilenius, Ilves
25 Markus Granlund, HIFK
26 Ville Ahlgren, Ässät
27Henri Ruotsalainen, Blues
28 Toni Kallela, KalPa
Is this guy related to Reijo Ruotsalainen?

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 04:28 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
This thread discusses the different youth teams during the whole season and not only regarding the WJC
And like I said, it's definitely a worthwhile thread for the younger age groups. I also mentioned that despite its title, the thread I pointed out pretty much acts like a general U20 topic.

But eh. Guess it's not my position to talk about these things in the first place since I'm not a moderator in here. I just hate it when I have to hobble between different threads to follow a single subject.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 05:43 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Injury: Teuvo Teräväinen has been injured for a longer time now and I don´t know his current status, but he is definitely a guy that should be part of this roster when healthy.
I don't know if Teräväinen would be in the U18 roster, just because he's never been in that group and I don't know if he's considered a potential player for the U18 championships. I definitely hope so, he's one of the most potential undrafted finnish players at the moment.

Edit. Apparently he did play already 4 U18 games with Finland this season

I heard he's getting fit and is already practicing with his team. He should be back in Jokerit's U20-games soon.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 09:59 AM
SveduPelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
I don't know if Teräväinen would be in the U18 roster, just because he's never been in that group and I don't know if he's considered a potential player for the U18 championships. I definitely hope so, he's one of the most potential undrafted finnish players at the moment.

Edit. Apparently he did play already 4 U18 games with Finland this season

I heard he's getting fit and is already practicing with his team. He should be back in Jokerit's U20-games soon.
Yes he did and many of the Jokerit-fans are really excited about him! Hope he gets fit soon and gets a chance in the national team!

Old
11-08-2010, 10:03 AM
SveduPelle

Henri Ruotsalainen is not related to Reijo Ruotsalainen what I know atleast. But soon we got a new Reijo in Vatanen

Old
11-09-2010, 07:22 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Interesting: Definitely some really talented players in this squad with Sami Salminen´s younger brother Saku, Oskari Lehtinen, Aleksi Mustonen, Jonatan Tanus, Topi Nättinen, Rasmus Ristolainen and Ville Husso.
Sasha Barkov born 95 should also in my opinion get a chance in this roster. Couple of days ago Sasha and Jonatan Tanus played for Tappara U20 Team and both got an assist. These are guys to look out for!

In general I´m very intrigued with many guys in the different youth teams and I personally think that the future for finnish hockey looks brighter than in many many years!

I´m gonna try to update this thread as much as I can but I hope that all of you Finland fans can help me to keep this thread up to date!
son of Alexander Barkov?

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
son of Alexander Barkov?
Yes, i think so

Old
11-27-2010, 07:38 AM
TheRocket87

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
son of Alexander Barkov?
Yes he indeed is the son of the Tappara legend. Based on what I've seen he's a very promising kid and has a real knack for goal scoring. On the other hand I don't see why people are going so crazy about Tanus. Yes he's a solid skater and has decent shot but I think he is lacking in the hockey IQ department. I see him becoming a new Antti Pihlstöm and Finland is producing too much of those brainless speed skaters already. I'm really concerned when I see the junior national team selections for Finland as most of the forwards are really small and their only weapon is skating (of course there are exceptions like Salminen and Teräväinen). Why not take the bigger guy that has the creativity and vision and try to work on their skating like they do in the big hockey countries.

TheRocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarki87 View Post
Yes he indeed is the son of the Tappara legend. Based on what I've seen he's a very promising kid and has a real knack for goal scoring. On the other hand I don't see why people are going so crazy about Tanus. Yes he's a solid skater and has decent shot but I think he is lacking in the hockey IQ department. I see him becoming a new Antti Pihlstöm and Finland is producing too much of those brainless speed skaters already. I'm really concerned when I see the junior national team selections for Finland as most of the forwards are really small and their only weapon is skating (of course there are exceptions like Salminen and Teräväinen). Why not take the bigger guy that has the creativity and vision and try to work on their skating like they do in the big hockey countries.
Tanus is like 5’6’’ tall and probably won’t grow that much anymore, so he’s going to find it hard to achieve the level that Pihlström is at the moment. As a player Tanus is closer to Joni Karjalainen. Also I don’t think he’s lacking that much in the hockey IQ department, in my opinion he’s a pretty smart player. It’s true that Barkov has a higher upside as a pro player than Tanus, but it’s also clear that in comparison Tanus is readier to play with the U17 national team than Barkov. At the moment Tanus plays the game with a higher level of intensity and is therefore better involved with what’s happening on the ice.

In junior NT games the pace of the game is so fast that in Finland there aren’t too many prospects in a single age group that are able to play at that level. It’s better for bigger and perhaps a bit slower players to play on a level where they are able to be more involved with the game. Eventually some of the bigger players will catch up with the smaller and more agile players. Once the U20 national team is selected, some of the smaller players will be replaced with bigger players.

The big hockey countries like USA, Canada and Sweden have prospects that are big, gritty, skilled and smart, but also skate pretty well. It’s rare to see a prospect like this in Finland. The problems in Finnish hockey come from much deeper than from junior national team selections.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 06:05 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Tanus is like 5’6’’ tall and probably won’t grow that much anymore, so he’s going to find it hard to achieve the level that Pihlström is at the moment. As a player Tanus is closer to Joni Karjalainen. Also I don’t think he’s lacking that much in the hockey IQ department, in my opinion he’s a pretty smart player. It’s true that Barkov has a higher upside as a pro player than Tanus, but it’s also clear that in comparison Tanus is readier to play with the U17 national team than Barkov. At the moment Tanus plays the game with a higher level of intensity and is therefore better involved with what’s happening on the ice.

In junior NT games the pace of the game is so fast that in Finland there aren’t too many prospects in a single age group that are able to play at that level. It’s better for bigger and perhaps a bit slower players to play on a level where they are able to be more involved with the game. Eventually some of the bigger players will catch up with the smaller and more agile players. Once the U20 national team is selected, some of the smaller players will be replaced with bigger players.

The big hockey countries like USA, Canada and Sweden have prospects that are big, gritty, skilled and smart, but also skate pretty well. It’s rare to see a prospect like this in Finland. The problems in Finnish hockey come from much deeper than from junior national team selections.
According to eliteprospects tanus is 5'9, and why would he not grow anymore when he's only 15? The kid is small, yes but he's absolutely fearless. I've seen him play once in Jr. A (todays game against Blues) and he threw like half a dozen quality hits against guys way bigger than him.

Barkov played also in the same game and his game looked a bit more polished than Tanus'. Tanus was definately the one who stood out of the two though. Both interesting young prospects

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 05:50 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
According to eliteprospects tanus is 5'9, and why would he not grow anymore when he's only 15? The kid is small, yes but he's absolutely fearless. I've seen him play once in Jr. A (todays game against Blues) and he threw like half a dozen quality hits against guys way bigger than him.
There has to be some air in that measurement (=5'9''), since he doesn't look any taller than 5'6'' or maybe 5'7''. The reason why I think he's probably not going to grow that much anymore is that he doesn't look much - if any - taller than what he looked last year. Naturally I would gladly be at fault with this sentiment, since he has the talent and the enthusiasm to be a successful hockey player.

Old
11-28-2010, 01:58 PM
YARR123

Quote:
There has to be some air in that measurement (=5'9''), since he doesn't look any taller than 5'6'' or maybe 5'7''. The reason why I think he's probably not going to grow that much anymore is that he doesn't look much - if any - taller than what he looked last year. Naturally I would gladly be at fault with this sentiment, since he has the talent and the enthusiasm to be a successful hockey player.
He does look awfully small, yes. I hope you're wrong and he ends up like 6'5. Then again, some guys I know for a fact to be around 5'8 - 5'10 looked pretty much the same size as tanus, so he could be 5'7 or 5'8 but i doubt he would be only 5'6

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 10:30 AM
edd1e

How do you see our lines in WJC without Granlund?

Who's our first line center?

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 11:10 AM
FrankTheTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
How do you see our lines in WJC without Granlund?

Who's our first line center?
Erik Haula is our best center now but that's other thing who will play at first line. Here's my lines:

Rajala-Nättinen-Pulkkinen
Pakarinen-Haula-Armia
Donskoi-Salomäki-Junttila
Turtiainen-Tuominen-Partanen
Virkkunen

First line:
Nättinen is perfect two-way center for Rajala and Pulkkinen. Nättinen is also pretty good playmaker.

Second line:
Haula can share the puck to Armia and Pakarinen can make room for these two.

Third line:
These guys knows each others so they might have good chemistry.

Fourth line:
Our only "badass line". They can give hits and play for defence.

FrankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 02:20 AM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank View Post
Erik Haula is our best center now but that's other thing who will play at first line. Here's my lines:

Rajala-Nättinen-Pulkkinen
Pakarinen-Haula-Armia
Donskoi-Salomäki-Junttila
Turtiainen-Tuominen-Partanen
Virkkunen

First line:
Nättinen is perfect two-way center for Rajala and Pulkkinen. Nättinen is also pretty good playmaker.

Second line:
Haula can share the puck to Armia and Pakarinen can make room for these two.

Third line:
These guys knows each others so they might have good chemistry.

Fourth line:
Our only "badass line". They can give hits and play for defence.
That looks decent even without Granlund on it. Thanks.

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:08 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Last season Armia was best goal scorer in U17 hockey challenge.

This season group:
Code:
30  Janne Juvonen       03.10.94  179/75 L  Jokipojat
31  Oskari Setänen      28.04.94  184/86 L  Lukko

2  Mikko Lehtonen      16.01.94  179/80 L  TPS
 4  Mikko Vainonen      11.04.94  187/94 L  HIFK
 5  Rasmus Ristolainen  27.10.94  187/84 R  TPS
 6  Santeri Saari       18.10.94  184/87 L  Jokerit
 7  Markus Kojo         30.03.94  190/93 L  Ässät
 9  Ville Pokka         03.06.94  182/86 R  Kärpät
15  Taneli Siikaluoma   23.04.94  179/65 L  Kärpät
29  Jimi Kuronen        17.05.95  174/75 L  HIFK

8  Kalle Torniainen    28.03.94  177/77 L  Djurgården, SWE
10  Juuso Ikonen        03.01.95  169/70 R  Blues
12  Samu Markkula       27.02.94  174/76 L  JYP
13  Mikko Virtanen      07.03.94  182/74 R  KooKoo
14  Topi Nättinen       01.04.94  174/69 R  JYP
16  Joni Nikko          05.01.94  187/86 L  Lukko
18  Jonatan Tanus       04.06.95  170/70 L  Tappara
20  Teuvo Teräväinen    11.09.94  177/68 L  Jokerit
21  Jaakko Hautamäki    29.01.94  184/78 L  Lukko
22  Artturi Lehkonen    04.07.95  174/64 L  TPS
24  Henri Ikonen        17.04.94  182/80 L  KalPa
26  Rasmus Kulmala      21.06.94  169/71 L  TPS

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Tormentor

Team Finland's goals @ 2011 World under-17 hockey challenge

Old
01-05-2011, 05:01 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Thanks, much appreciated. In case you Saw the games can you give me a short report on Teräväinen, Torniainen and Ristolainen. How did they look, potential etc. etc.

Old
01-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latexi84 View Post
Thanks, much appreciated. In case you Saw the games can you give me a short report on Teräväinen, Torniainen and Ristolainen. How did they look, potential etc. etc.
Teuvo Teräväinen – Overall a good skater, but his acceleration and top speed aren’t ideal for a player of his size, hopefully he manages to gain some more speed. A good passer and a playmaker, has some offensive imagination to set up really nice plays. It’s obvious that he’s a skilled puckhandler, must have spent a lot of time with a puck. Has a good scoring touch, but needs more strength to his shot. He’s not very big nor strong. In some situations he could be a slightly more competitive and show more courage. When the conditions favour him - he’s an offensive dynamo, when they don’t - his contribution and level of involvement diminishes. The top North American teams forced him to play on the perimeter and pretty effectively took away the time and space from him. I don’t see him as a NHL prospect at the moment, but I’m often wrong, so who knows. A nice prospect nevertheless.

Kalle Torniainen – A good skater; nice speed, excellent agility and smooth footwork. A smart player; times his moves well and makes himself available for a play. A good passer and is able of playing fast paced touch and go hockey. His stickhandling isn’t overly fancy, but he’s able of controlling the puck really well both in traffic and at full speed. Seems to recognize scoring chances and has a fairly good shot for his age. Disciplined, reliable in all situations, works hard, has an excellent endurance and is a tireless checker. Not very big and needs more strength, fairly weak along the boards and didn’t have much business going in front of the net against the top North American teams. Has a really low stance while taking a faceoff. With a late growth spurt he might have a better chance of developing into a NHL player, but as of now I think that European elite leagues are a more likely destination.

Rasmus Ristolainen – A strong skater for his size, has the ability to rush the puck up the ice. Not quite as poised with the puck as before, but there were still two or three occasions when he rushed the puck from end to end, one of them would’ve been a highlight reel goal if it had ended in the net. Has grown a lot during the last two seasons and it seems to have affected his coordination and mobility a bit. I think that he’s still adapting to his new body, so things should improve in the near future. His passes are strong and mostly accurate. Has a nice slapper and he’s a pretty good power play guy, but slightly more imagination would be required for him to become a force on the point. Has a good physical presence and his defensive game has really improved from last season. Will stand his ground and won’t tolerate any false doing towards his teammates. Has a lot of potential and doesn’t have any major weaknesses, so developing into a NHL player is a possibility. Still, a lot of work is required and there’s room for improvement in all areas of the game.

Old
01-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Teuvo Teräväinen – Overall a good skater, but his acceleration and top speed aren’t ideal for a player of his size, hopefully he manages to gain some more speed. A good passer and a playmaker, has some offensive imagination to set up really nice plays. It’s obvious that he’s a skilled puckhandler, must have spent a lot of time with a puck. Has a good scoring touch, but needs more strength to his shot. He’s not very big nor strong. In some situations he could be a slightly more competitive and show more courage. When the conditions favour him - he’s an offensive dynamo, when they don’t - his contribution and level of involvement diminishes. The top North American teams forced him to play on the perimeter and pretty effectively took away the time and space from him. I don’t see him as a NHL prospect at the moment, but I’m often wrong, so who knows. A nice prospect nevertheless.

Kalle Torniainen – A good skater; nice speed, excellent agility and smooth footwork. A smart player; times his moves well and makes himself available for a play. A good passer and is able of playing fast paced touch and go hockey. His stickhandling isn’t overly fancy, but he’s able of controlling the puck really well both in traffic and at full speed. Seems to recognize scoring chances and has a fairly good shot for his age. Disciplined, reliable in all situations, works hard, has an excellent endurance and is a tireless checker. Not very big and needs more strength, fairly weak along the boards and didn’t have much business going in front of the net against the top North American teams. Has a really low stance while taking a faceoff. With a late growth spurt he might have a better chance of developing into a NHL player, but as of now I think that European elite leagues are a more likely destination.

Rasmus Ristolainen – A strong skater for his size, has the ability to rush the puck up the ice. Not quite as poised with the puck as before, but there were still two or three occasions when he rushed the puck from end to end, one of them would’ve been a highlight reel goal if it had ended in the net. Has grown a lot during the last two seasons and it seems to have affected his coordination and mobility a bit. I think that he’s still adapting to his new body, so things should improve in the near future. His passes are strong and mostly accurate. Has a nice slapper and he’s a pretty good power play guy, but slightly more imagination would be required for him to become a force on the point. Has a good physical presence and his defensive game has really improved from last season. Will stand his ground and won’t tolerate any false doing towards his teammates. Has a lot of potential and doesn’t have any major weaknesses, so developing into a NHL player is a possibility. Still, a lot of work is required and there’s room for improvement in all areas of the game.
Thank you VERY much, and if you don't mind it would be nice to know about Jonathan Tanus and Juuso Ikonen aswell

Old
01-05-2011, 04:34 PM
ChadS

I remember Tomek Valtonen(Jokerit U20 head coach/ex-player) mentioning before this season, that Teräväinen was one of the couple kids he saw taking the biggest step in development during last summer(within Jokerit juniors). He started the season with Jokerit U20 team and has 9 points in 13 games so far, but was injured and I think he was out way over a month. Now he's back and I don't think he had many games before the U17 tournament, but nevertheless was Finland's best point scorer.

When he returns to Jokerit, he'll probably be put on a line with Jere Karjalainen and Alexander Ruuttu. Today against SaiPa U20, -95 born Aleksi Mustonen played in that spot and actually got his first point in the U20 league(3 games played).

Alexander Ruuttu was another player mentioned by Valtonen after the summer and he has looked really good lately. First he played his first 2 games in a pro league with the Finnish U20 team in Mestis, scoring 2 points, and today he continued his point run with 4 assists against SaiPa U20. This kid could become something and I have him as a possible suprise for the next WJC if he continues what he's got going on.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:44 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latexi84 View Post
Thank you VERY much, and if you don't mind it would be nice to know about Jonathan Tanus and Juuso Ikonen aswell
Juuso Ikonen – A good skater, has good quickness both in his feet and hands. Plays with a lot of intensity; moves fast, handles the puck at the same time, and makes quick and usually correct decisions. All happens in one smooth motion and it enables him to play well in traffic. Has a lot of heart and plays bigger than his size, takes the body and goes to the corners in front of 200 lbs defensemen. In some ways he resembles Mikael Granlund at this age, you don’t have to watch him for long to understand that he has talent. It’s a pity that he’s so small, but hopefully he grows to be a bit taller. His father, a former Kiekko-Espoo star Juha Ikonen is 5’10, so I guess there’s some hope.

Jonatan Tanus
– Overall a good skater, but gaining another gear wouldn’t hurt since he’s not a big player. Has good intensity in his game, wants to be part of the game and wants to be a difference maker. Seems to be a fairly versatile player, does it all. Loves the puck and is a bit selfish, which sometimes leads him to try too much. It’s a fairly rare quality in a Finnish hockey player, so not at all bad. A good passer and has some playmaking ability to set up plays. He seems to be fairly broadshouldered for his age and size, so I’m not expecting him to grow that much anymore, but hopefully I’m wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Alexander Ruuttu was another player mentioned by Valtonen after the summer and he has looked really good lately. First he played his first 2 games in a pro league with the Finnish U20 team in Mestis, scoring 2 points, and today he continued his point run with 4 assists against SaiPa U20. This kid could become something and I have him as a possible suprise for the next WJC if he continues what he's got going on.
He seems to have grown from last season. Gaining some size, speed and muscle has really transformed his game, he’s a tough customer in Jr.A. I understand why Valtonen likes this kid, he plays a fairly similar game to him. I wish he would be a month younger, so he could play at the WU18C’s.