HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs heart and soul?

Old
07-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Kadri has the personality that would be enjoyed if we ever allow him to play!
Agreed! Though as it stands now, I had say it's Grabo by far.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:13 PM
HenryH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
That's more suicidal than anything.
When Grabo's on the ice? That Belarusian warrior ain't afraid of anything.

HenryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:15 PM
caber93

Closest thing Leafs have to this on their current roster is Brown. Unfortunately he doesn't have the offensive skill set to go along with it.
Schenn for sure had those qualities and it was most apparent in his rookie season, but he gone

caber93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
He may not stack up to the former Leafs greats, but in terms of this roster nobody gives the effort that Grabovski consistently gives every single game. Scoring that goal against the Bruins after getting crushed twice by Chara, his heroics against the Canadiens, giving up 30 pounds by fighting Neil to pick up for a teammate. He's extremely skilled and has very admirable work ethic and leadership capabilities.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:22 AM
trickster

The heart and soul spot, the top centre spot, and the poster boy spot for Leafs Nation is sitting on a platter for Nazem Kadri. Can he claim it?
Has there ever been more incentive for a player?

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:29 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
He may not stack up to the former Leafs greats, but in terms of this roster nobody gives the effort that Grabovski consistently gives every single game. Scoring that goal against the Bruins after getting crushed twice by Chara, his heroics against the Canadiens, giving up 30 pounds by fighting Neil to pick up for a teammate. He's extremely skilled and has very admirable work ethic and leadership capabilities.
Grabs and Lupul is turning into that. The next would be Kessel, he is introverted and really gave it his all, the three of them are more to the core than may be obvious now... Not really sure about Phaneuf, he has moments where it really looks like its coming then its gone.

Personality wise Burke selections coming up appear better in that dept. The Marlies made the finals, takes good combination of things and is a good indicator of things to come.

Grabs is the spark plug, its why we payed him a bit more. Lupul last year was more internal success i feel but it was changing, he was really believing at the all star game about the team. His fav leafs moment was ot winner kessel to grabo vs the habs, pretty signif. Moment if you ask me.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:29 AM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Kessel (why hasn't anyone mentioned him yet??), lupul, and grabo. No quite in any of them. Also kadri, even though he hasn't been seen as much as the others obviously.

LeafsMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:42 AM
catgoldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsMonster View Post
Kessel (why hasn't anyone mentioned him yet??), lupul, and grabo. No quite in any of them. Also kadri, even though he hasn't been seen as much as the others obviously.
Kessel has heart and soul? : laugh:

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:55 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

The club lacks this sort of player. The way they were punked by the Bruins in their season's series shows it all too clearly. Too many followers, and even though some are character guys, nobody to lead them out of the toilet. DP is not that kind of a player nor was he ever considered that during his best days in Calgary. Grabo has heart, but the team doesn't follow him.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:29 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Playoffs makes heroes from unlikely sources, that's one of the reasons why I like them. Who knows who that guy will be on the Leafs, but If I had to bet I'd say Matt Frattin.
I think Komarov will surprise a number of people.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 02:29 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Hm, thinking about the current roster, guys I can see...

Kadri
Brown
Grabovski
Soon to be BRAD ROSS
I see it in Ty Biggs

Err...Phaneuf is not those heart and soul, he seems like The Hulk rather than a heart and soul guy. "Dion mad! Dion smash! Dion out of position! Damn...goal? DAMN! Dion blame someone else"

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 04:31 AM
TrainTracks
Rookie User

You guys throw this term around "heart and soul". But who would you consider even in the whole league in this day and age, that has equal heart to clark or gilmour?? I just think hockey as a sport doesnt have these type of players anymore, which makes me sad.

TrainTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:54 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Grabovski for sure, think Schenn would have become one. I have hopes Kadri will grow in to one as well in similar fashion to Grabovski. And while I keep making predictions in lack of current roster players Frattin and Biggs seem to have that desire and personality to act as heart and soul guys.

Some one mentioned Kessel? One of his greatest strengths and biggest flaws is that he does not care. That is as far away from a heart and soul guy you can come.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:11 AM
Interactif

Gilmour - Heart and Soul

This is one of my more memorable Doug Gilmour moments, when your best player shows no fear and has your back on the ice, good things follow. Stu Grimson goes nuts on the ice, tries to get to Wendel Clark but see what Dougie does at 3:50 of this video. Dougie, they don't many like this guy. What a great Leaf he was.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:12 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagohell View Post
In the past guys like Clark, Gilmour, Sundin and Roberts were considered the Heart and Soul of the leafs during their respective playing days.

Is there a player on the current roster that legitimately holds that moniker?

I think the Leafs would want Phaneuf to be that guy, but so far I can't really say I see it. He plays with passion, but I don't get the same sense from Phaneuf as I did from the past guys.

Do we need a playoff round or two to bring it out in a player?

this is a very poor list. i'm wondering if you are over the age of 16. if you knew the leafs well enough you would know that sundin really doesn't make that list. he hovered around a point per game, but he didn't really become heart and soul.

yes. there is nothing like the playoffs to see whether grabo is worth 5.5 million per year.

heart and soul guys in recent years:

Yushkevich, Markov, Thomas, Nolan ()

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:13 AM
gravyface

I think if this roster ever stops turning over, has a chance to solidify, and make the playoffs maybe, yeah, we'll see some heart and soul guys step up.

gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:15 AM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
this is a very poor list. i'm wondering if you are over the age of 16. if you knew the leafs well enough you would know that sundin really doesn't make that list. he hovered around a point per game, but he didn't really become heart and soul.

yes. there is nothing like the playoffs to see whether grabo is worth 5.5 million per year.

Quite possibly the worse post I've seen on here, let alone this thread.

gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:22 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Quite possibly the worse post I've seen on here, let alone this thread.
please show me a highlight package of sundin's greatest:

hits
block shots
fights
OT winners (ok there might be a couple there)

don't go there son.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:

I think you're confusing 'heart and soul' with 'fight anything that moves'. Sure guys like Clark weren't afraid to drop the mitts with anyone but Sundin WAS the heart and soul for this team (and dare I say, this city) in the late 90s-early 00's. He didn't HAVE to fight to motivate his team, to have people follow him.

07-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Atm Grabovski, & Brown are those who I see as heart and soul. 6-0 and they will still make hell for the opposing team.

As soon as the playoffs come more will rise, Kadri has it in him who will thrive in those situation, same with Phaneuf and even the silent Kessel.

07-26-2012, 06:53 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
please show me a highlight package of sundin's greatest:

hits
block shots
fights
OT winners (ok there might be a couple there)

don't go there son.
It took us like 3 years to even consider another captain after Mats left. If that doesn't tell you how much he meant to the team, I don't know what does.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:55 AM
Larcos_Unal

should be Phaneuf for what we're paying him, unfortunately he's not a very likeable human being so there goes that.

ross/biggs in a few years

Larcos_Unal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
should be Phaneuf for what we're paying him, unfortunately he's not a very likeable human being so there goes that.

ross/biggs in a few years
He isn't? What makes you say that? He seems like a nice guy in the media and in interviews. Unless you know him personally?

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:59 AM
chilfactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Quite easily Joffrey Lupul.
Agreed! Love his game!
Brown to an extent but he's injured too much and plays too little
Phaneuf can be........ I think

chilfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:05 AM
leftwinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
He isn't? What makes you say that? He seems like a nice guy in the media and in interviews. Unless you know him personally?
Completely objectively, I find something very unlike able about Dion. Like a swelling arrogance, who knows.

I just wish he would take that damn red bull hat off. He's the captain. Leafs hat.

leftwinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote