HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs heart and soul?

Old
07-26-2012, 07:29 AM
leaferbeliever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryH View Post
Very proud of Grabo that game!

leaferbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

As of right now I think our heart and soul player is without a doubt Grabovski. The guy is the warrior of our team and seems to go the extra mile to pump up his teammates.

In time Kadri has the potential to take over that as well.

Someone pointed out Komorov will surprise some people and I have to agree with them. He wont score a lot of goals but he will be that agitator who gets under the opposing teams skin.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:34 AM
paulster2626
Shape up or ship out

vCash: 400
Getzlaf and Perry, duh...

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:35 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
I think you're confusing 'heart and soul' with 'fight anything that moves'. Sure guys like Clark weren't afraid to drop the mitts with anyone but Sundin WAS the heart and soul for this team (and dare I say, this city) in the late 90s-early 00's. He didn't HAVE to fight to motivate his team, to have people follow him.
no i'm not. yushkevich, thomas, and gilmour didn't exactly fight everything that moves.

yes sundin was pretty good, but you cannot deny that he wasn't loved like gilmour / clark were loved. i remember many fans of the leafs embraced the idea of a Sundin for Lindros trade. he won over many, but there were still plenty of skeptics.

for the record i liked sundin, but he never did it like Thomas and the others mentioned in this thread. good, but not great.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:46 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Old
07-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
please show me a highlight package of sundin's greatest:

hits
block shots
fights
OT winners (ok there might be a couple there)

don't go there son.
should be easy to find examples of when he put the team on his back and carried them a lot further than the fan favorites you mention. heart and soul guys do all they can to help their team win and never take a shift off.

not surprised at all you don't see that in Sundin.

btw, Thomas scored 0.61 points per game in the playoffs. Sundin .90 per game.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Drew75

We've been drafting and collecting some of those guys ...

Ross immediately comes to mind, along with Biggs - I think in 3 years they will be the heart and soul of this team.

Right now, it would be between Grabovski and Brown, with potentially Kadri, D'Amigo, and Frattin in the wings.

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Ricky Bobby

Gilmour, Sundin and Roberts also all played on much deeper teams with great goaltending.

Hockey is the ultimate team game and no one player can singlehandly carry the team on his back. The closest we have to a positional player who can take over a game and inspire his teammates is Phaneuf who did just that in the first half of last season. Problem is that when Phaneuf started to drop off, the rest of the team didn't pick up the slack.

Kessel is our most talented player but he doesn't inspire people and out of C, W and D a winger has the least influence on controlling a game.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:23 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
should be easy to find examples of when he put the team on his back and carried them a lot further than the fan favorites you mention. heart and soul guys do all they can to help their team win and never take a shift off.

not surprised at all you don't see that in Sundin.

btw, Thomas scored 0.61 points per game in the playoffs. Sundin .90 per game.
yeah, but i love game winning goals. thomas also gets no credit for doing the dirty work for Sundin.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
yeah, but i love game winning goals. thomas also gets no credit for doing the dirty work for Sundin.
Thomas gets credit from me for being a good player. loved the guy. but he was not in the same class as Sundin in either ability or "heart and soul"

Old
07-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
When you finish 21-29 the past 4 years, the question is maybe it's time to go out and find some actual, heart and soul players.

Everyone seems to keep mentioning Grabo? <chuckle>

Some of us remember Clark, Roberts, Domi, Gilmour, Tucker, Foligno, Bomber, Mccoun, Rouse, Mccabe, Sundin, Corson, Yuskevich.

Grabo? Playoffs? huh?
Exbihit A:

Exbihit B:

Couldn't find a video with all of it in but I believe this is enough evidence for Grabovski to qualify for heart and soul player. Brown and Lupul also to an extent. I completely agree with the names you have there but currently Grabovski, Brown and Lupul might be the only ones we have. Timmy Brent was one too.

Doug Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

Quote:
You can say the same about Sundin I mean Thomas had to get the puck on his stick from someone. Managed to get a few clips of Sundin doing what he did best.

But you know not a heart and soul player at all

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:03 AM
The Iceman

Quote:
please show me a highlight package of sundin's greatest:

hits
block shots
fights
OT winners (ok there might be a couple there)

don't go there son.
YUP,
brutal post...
Sundin 2nd ALL TIME in regular season OT goals and 7th ALL TIME in Game Winning Goals.
How many ALL TIME lists do any Leafs make?
He came back from EVERY injury WAY quicker than anyone expected.
Always put up great scoring numbers despite not having top line mates for most of his career.
DUDE was a WARRIOR and a HALL OF FAMER and you don't think he was a heart and soul guy....BRUTAL

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:07 AM
The Iceman

Brings a tear to the eye....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ1e1270vrk

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:09 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
Brings a tear to the eye....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ1e1270vrk
homer criesssssssssssssssssss

Old
07-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
YUP,
brutal post...
Sundin 2nd ALL TIME in regular season OT goals and 7th ALL TIME in Game Winning Goals.
How many ALL TIME lists do any Leafs make?
He came back from EVERY injury WAY quicker than anyone expected.
Always put up great scoring numbers despite not having top line mates for most of his career.
DUDE was a WARRIOR and a HALL OF FAMER and you don't think he was a heart and soul guy....BRUTAL
I have no idea why agreement is able to continue to troll like he does with no consequences.

sure this will be quickly deleted though while the troll lives on

Old
07-26-2012, 09:14 AM
HenryH

Yeah, Sundin is one of the tops for most overtime goals, in the top 10 for most game winning goals, scored a lot of big goals even in the playoffs and such. He was a leader for the Leafs for many years.

HenryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:20 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagohell View Post
In the past guys like Clark, Gilmour, Sundin and Roberts were considered the Heart and Soul of the leafs during their respective playing days.

Is there a player on the current roster that legitimately holds that moniker?

I think the Leafs would want Phaneuf to be that guy, but so far I can't really say I see it. He plays with passion, but I don't get the same sense from Phaneuf as I did from the past guys.

Do we need a playoff round or two to bring it out in a player?
Phaneuf needs a little help. He's often the only one battling. Schenn got beat up by Chris Neil last year and was shy afterwards. Physically he didn't help. Ditto for Komi, who after his beating by Lucic, didn't offer any help.

I don't understand the abuse Phaneuf takes. He throws big hits fairly often, which is tough, because of suspensions. Fights and sticks up for teammates, scores, and plays against the other teams top lines -- with some of the worst support at center and in the net -- in the entire NHL.

Leafs need more Phaneufs -- not less. When they get a goalie that stops a beach ball and some centers that can match up defensively things will improve greatly.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:35 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

people here are clearly not old enough to remember the debate. i'm not debating that he wasn't a good player. he was. get that straight. his heart and soul was certainly questioned. i know that wendel and gilmour are hard acts to follow, but to many sundin didn't live up to them. i remember Don Cherry ripping on Sundin when he went over and played for Vancouver. "If you go on another 19 game goalless streak like you did when Toronto was in a playoff race the fans of Vancouver will let you have it. Mark my word."

Old
07-26-2012, 09:46 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
I have no idea why agreement is able to continue to troll like he does with no consequences.

sure this will be quickly deleted though while the troll lives on
because a discussion has two sides sometimes.

you want it to be:

sundin was great. yep. next topic.
kessel is great. yep. next topic.
kadri will be great. yep. next topic.

?

Old
07-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

The epic end of season collapse or as Burke calls it "This is akin to an 18-wheeler going right off a cliff, and I've never seen anything like it before in my life. I don't know what happened," was due in large part to the team lacking any sort of intestinal fortitude.

It was that lacking of heart and soul that allowed such a disaster to occur.

In Minnesota GM Fletcher's team also had a big collapse however he went out and got NJ captain Parise and one of Nashville's leaders and addresses his teams lack of leadership and heart.

What has Burke done to address the Leafs situation?

07-26-2012, 09:57 AM
HenryH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The epic end of season collapse or as Burke calls it "This is akin to an 18-wheeler going right off a cliff, and I've never seen anything like it before in my life. I don't know what happened," was due in large part to the team lacking any sort of intestinal fortitude.

In Minnesota GM Fletcher's team also had a big collapse however he went out and got NJ captain Parise and one of Nashville's leaders and addresses his teams lack of leadership and heart.

Well the season doesn't start for another couple months so there's still lots of time for changes in the Leafs roster is there not?

HenryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:08 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:

It's a good question. It needs to be addressed. If BB can't do it in the offseason, it should be worked on until the trade deadline. For the record Armstrong was not that kind of guy either. you have to show more than pom-poms and post game interviews to lead a team.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:12 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

Ownership makes moves like Parise and Suter, not GM's.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:28 AM
nsleaf

Only winning teams have heart and soul players. Would a player really want to be called the heart and soul of the current Toronto Maple Leafs?

nsleaf is offline   Reply With Quote