HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer Moves $e7en: Ding, Dong, the Doan is Signed! Oh Happy Day!

Old
07-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
hodgson is above average defensively... at this point. he looked pretty bad in those first weeks, on a new team, in a new system, with new linemates...

hodgson demonstrates the awareness that should give fans confidence in his ability to develop a well rounded 2 way game.

ennis is bad defensively, and demonstrates no such awareness.

ennis may be the next briere... and that would be great. briere was terrible defensively when he was here.

contrary to your belief, hodgson isn't bad at everything simply because kassian was traded for him
At this point, Hodgson is not defensively sound. He has a history of being that, but not in the NHL yet. During his time with the Canucks, our coach had to give him extremely sheltered minutes.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
He is 21. Seriously hold off on your absolute rule of judgement for a little while longer.
Correct, and if/when I see it on the ice than guess what? That's what I'll base my opinion off of.

Many posters want to force the truth in a positive direction so they can point their finger and say, "See!?! I'm super smart!" Meanwhile they look super dumb because they aren't making realistic observations o how he has played so far. They have to be patient and see if he does become the player they are pretending he is right now.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
At this point, Hodgson is not defensively sound. He has a history of being that, but not in the NHL yet. During his time with the Canucks, our coach had to give him extremely sheltered minutes.
Nucks fans told us Sulzer was lackluster and wouldn't see the ice as well. I've thought both players were much better in the defensive zone than the Vancouver fans had given then credit for. Neither is winning awards but neither made me cringe either. Heck Ruff had Hodgson on the PK without practice time and he didn't look out of place.

My optimism for Hodgson is mainly based off Gary Roberts. The off ice effort that we don't see had turned several of his disciples into league leaders. A 10th overall pick with Hodgson's pedigree will hopefully thrive in that regime now that his back is rehabbed.

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Nucks fans told us Sulzer was lackluster and wouldn't see the ice as well. I've thought both players were much better in the defensive zone than the Vancouver fans had given then credit for. Neither is winning awards but neither made me cringe either. Heck Ruff had Hodgson on the PK without practice time and he didn't look out of place.

My optimism for Hodgson is mainly based off Gary Roberts. The off ice effort that we don't see had turned several of his disciples into league leaders. A 10th overall pick with Hodgson's pedigree will hopefully thrive in that regime now that his back is rehabbed.
I thought Sulzer was pretty good for an 8th defenseman myself, but Coho scares me most of the time when in his own zone. It's mainly because of his speed though, which can and will be worked on at the Roberts camp.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:54 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

You could tell Hodgson knows the position defensively by watching him closely away from the puck. Pretty clear that he has been at the position for a while IMO. Good to see.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:00 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
You could tell Hodgson knows the position defensively by watching him closely away from the puck. Pretty clear that he has been at the position for a while IMO. Good to see.
agreed he knwos how to play it I think he just needs to get better at it is all. Hopefully he reaches his potential sooner than later so we dont have to put up with all these CoHo/BZK comparisons..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
agreed he knwos how to play it I think he just needs to get better at it is all. Hopefully he reaches his potential sooner than later so we dont have to put up with all these CoHo/BZK comparisons..
I agree that he knows how to play defensively. Just needs to work on skating issues.

Then he can get more of these type of goals

Old
07-27-2012, 11:14 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
I agree that he knows how to play defensively. Just needs to work on skating issues.

Then he can get more of these type of goals

absolutely, the kids got great hockey sense and thats something you just can't teach....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit

Hodgson has a terrible first step. He tries to stride off of it instead of bursting into it. Take away that first step and he's an average skater, unfortunately....

I just picked up the NHL Vault and since Vancouver is my Western team I've been steadily working my way threw last season. I'm only half way into December so premature to make a sweeping point but I'm going to anyway. Vancouver looks awful in their own zone. There's lose forwards all over the slot and the shots they give up arent from the boards but always seam to come right from the slot. Was this just part of this years early season struggles or is poor D zone control common? With the complaints I've heard about Erhroff, Sulzer and Hodgson's defensive play then seeing them each be considerably better whenthey got here I can't help but wonder if the problem is coaching and not the players.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:24 PM
McTank

That slapper is just filthy

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:32 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:

I thought he was brutal on the PK early in his Sabres tenure. That's not a knock on him, neccessarily, but it was not a pretty thing to watch early on. And considering he only played a total of 18 minutes on the PK all year, I suspect that his PK time slowly dropped as it became apparent that he wasn't ready for that type of duty yet.

misterchainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Hodgson has a terrible first step. He tries to stride off of it instead of bursting into it. Take away that first step and he's an average skater, unfortunately....

I just picked up the NHL Vault and since Vancouver is my Western team I've been steadily working my way threw last season. I'm only half way into December so premature to make a sweeping point but I'm going to anyway. Vancouver looks awful in their own zone. There's lose forwards all over the slot and the shots they give up arent from the boards but always seam to come right from the slot. Was this just part of this years early season struggles or is poor D zone control common? With the complaints I've heard about Erhroff, Sulzer and Hodgson's defensive play then seeing them each be considerably better whenthey got here I can't help but wonder if the problem is coaching and not the players.
The entire last season for us was terrible in terms of defensive zone play, and goaltending literally carried us to 1st in the NHL...

Old
07-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Der Jaeger

I don't think Hodgson and Ennis will be fighting each other for the Selke, but they will be better than they are right now, particularly Hodgson. Ennis might not get a lot better defensively, but he might become so good offensively that it's OK.

Everything is going to come in time. Trashing 22-ish year old players for what they don't do yet is kind of like judging a beauty pageant from the dressing room before the girls are ready. Give it some time.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I don't think Hodgson and Ennis will be fighting each other for the Selke, but they will be better than they are right now, particularly Hodgson. Ennis might not get a lot better defensively, but he might become so good offensively that it's OK.

Everything is going to come in time. Trashing 22-ish year old players for what they don't do yet is kind of like judging a beauty pageant from the dressing room before the girls are ready. Give it some time.

And on the flip side..... So is handing them the crown.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:09 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit

Quote:
I don't know if your analogy works. The dressing room sounds fun to me.

Old
07-28-2012, 12:12 AM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:

I agree totally. His issues during the span I mentioned seemed more self-inflicted from eagerness than a lack of ability/willingness to play a defensive game. His in-zone defensive play at even-strength I thought was rather underrated. As his skating improves and he settles into his role I do think Hodgson will be a pretty good center in his own end. Certainly not a liability.

misterchainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
And on the flip side..... So is handing them the crown.
Does that matter?

The discussion is currently centered around if Hodgson, and to some degree, Ennis, will improve defensively as they get older.

How does giving them 1/2 line minutes play into that?

Old
07-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
I don't know if your analogy works. The dressing room sounds fun to me.
It's the "beauty" of the analogy.

It's convincing on a couple levels. You can like it for the analogy. Or you can like it for being in the dressing room with models as they are getting ready.

It's a win-win for everyone.

Old
07-28-2012, 01:28 AM
McTank

I think ennis is underrated defensively, I noticed him working his a$$ off to get back last season. He isnt lazy defensively so the defensive game WILL come

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:57 AM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Yes and no...

Is he as responsible as Henrik or Kesler? no...but that's a pretty elite list. Cody thinks the game better than most, his defensive game will grow quickly....it's not terrible at present either.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:06 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Yes and no...

Is he as responsible as Henrik or Kesler? no...but that's a pretty elite list. Cody thinks the game better than most, his defensive game will grow quickly....it's not terrible at present either.
Not saying it'll suck forever, but it isn't average right now.

Old
07-28-2012, 02:11 AM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Not saying it'll suck forever, but it isn't average right now.
I agree with the assessment about speed...if he gets better there it will do wonders in his own zone, but he has the head to improve this aspect of his game....and props to another Vancouverite on the Sabres board! I love going to Sabres and Canucks games for the amount of blue and gold I see in the crowd!

Old
07-28-2012, 02:19 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
I agree with the assessment about speed...if he gets better there it will do wonders in his own zone, but he has the head to improve this aspect of his game....and props to another Vancouverite on the Sabres board! I love going to Sabres and Canucks games for the amount of blue and gold I see in the crowd!
His skating is kinda awkward, so he'll need to fix that.

And it's better to have Sabres fans infiltrating RA than to have Leafs fans there...

Old
07-28-2012, 02:22 AM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
His skating is kinda awkward, so he'll need to fix that.

And it's better to have Sabres fans infiltrating RA than to have Leafs fans there...
Ain't that the truth!

Old
07-28-2012, 02:31 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit

Let's be honest few things in this world are worse than leafs fans... maybe MAGs defense but it's debatable.