HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer Moves $e7en: Ding, Dong, the Doan is Signed! Oh Happy Day!

Old
07-28-2012, 07:09 AM
HiddenInLight

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Let's be honest few things in this world are worse than leafs fans... maybe MAGs defense but it's debatable.
Something that doesnt exist cant be worse then something that unfortunatly does....in hordes

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Does that matter?

The discussion is currently centered around if Hodgson, and to some degree, Ennis, will improve defensively as they get older.

How does giving them 1/2 line minutes play into that?
It doesn't. It's more in reference to peoples view of them. Just as some are "trashing" what they don't do....Some are worshipping the ground they walk on for what they think they're going to do.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Correct, and if/when I see it on the ice than guess what? That's what I'll base my opinion off of.

Many posters want to force the truth in a positive direction so they can point their finger and say, "See!?! I'm super smart!" Meanwhile they look super dumb because they aren't making realistic observations o how he has played so far. They have to be patient and see if he does become the player they are pretending he is right now.
kettle

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:58 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I think ennis is underrated defensively, I noticed him working his a$$ off to get back last season. He isnt lazy defensively so the defensive game WILL come
But Ennis can't be good defensively because he's flashy and he likes to stickhandle. The two cannot co-exist.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:49 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
But Ennis can't be good defensively because he's flashy and he likes to stickhandle. The two cannot co-exist.
Pavel Datsyuk disagrees.

But Ennis is nowhere close to Datsyuk. Ennis, at the present point in time, is simply not that good defensively. And that's not the end of the world either...he brings other things of value to the team. Just like Briere was no defensive stalwart...but Foligno-Ennis-Stafford could become a Hecht-Briere-Dumont type line if Foligno can improve his defensive game. And that would be sick.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:41 PM
dkollidas

Don't get me wrong, the idea of getting Pavelski and Clowe is great, I just think it's too early in the Sabres rebuild to make that big of a splash. They need to wait 1-2 years, let guys like Ennis, Hodgson, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia, Myers, McNabb, and Pysyk develop and then, once you have a bunch of guys on ELC's with a ton of talent, then you make your move. Maybe for a guy like Ryan when his current contract runs out, or a someone like Lucic (I know, but if he ever made UFA, I'd give him as much as he wanted), or someone of that ilk at that time. For now, sign a guy like Hecht or Langkow, or Arnott if you feel the need for a vet 3rd line center. But I feel that the best course of action for this year is to play it out and let the group develop.

Let Grigorenko battle for a roster spot, give him his 9 games and see what he does, and let Adam battle Tropp for the open wing spot with the Vanek-Hodgson line. If Girgorenko makes the roster, make it like this...

Leino-Hodgson-Vanek
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Grigorenko-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Tropp/Kaleta

Without Grigorenko...

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp/Adam
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Leino-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta

Also, just a curiosity, what about Gerbe centering the 4th line? I know he's tiny, but he's gritty, and his low center of gravity maybe helps him on faceoffs, and he's quick enough and defensively responsible, that way your 4th line could eventually be Tropp-Gerbe-Kaleta. Seems like a decent option.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Girgenburger
doginthebathtub

We should try to obtain Marcus Kruger from Chicago. Perfect bottom 6 center who can score.

Leopold + 3rd for Kruger?

Stafford for Kruger?

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Ott
Leino-Grigorenko-Tropp
Gerbe-Kruger-Kaleta

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:22 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Leopold and a 3rd is worth nowhere near Stafford.Drew for Kruger is atrocious...quietly, Stafford has turned into a legit physical top 6 winger capable of 25-30 goals a year with 100+ hits a year. I view him untouchable , he is our only top 6 player who can hit.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:36 PM
tsujimoto74

I like Kruger. He's not exactly an experienced vet (kid's like 22 or 23), but I'd be interested depending on the cost. Definitely wouldn't give Stafford for him. idk that CHI would want another defender, but something around Leo, I'd do. Or maybe something with Adam?

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
Don't get me wrong, the idea of getting Pavelski and Clowe is great, I just think it's too early in the Sabres rebuild to make that big of a splash. They need to wait 1-2 years, let guys like Ennis, Hodgson, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia, Myers, McNabb, and Pysyk develop and then, once you have a bunch of guys on ELC's with a ton of talent, then you make your move..

These notions of the team being in a "rebuilding" mode are way overboard IMO - yes, the Sabres are bringing in some youth into more prominent roles while shedding some of the past veterans but they still have a lot of talented and key performers that are veterans. This sense I get from reading through the different threads that the team is in a holding pattern or not going to be a serious competitor seems exaggerated and borne more from a combination of pent-up frustration over past veterans underachieving and an overly-optimistic, almost idealistic forecast of how the Sabres' prospects yet to play a single game at a professional level will develop.

The transition phase that the team is in now is more of a retooling, swapping out some older parts and promoting some younger parts - which seems to be the pattern for 50% of the teams in the NHL on an annual basis. There's no reason IMO to chalk off this season as borrowed time with the goal of targeting 2013-14 or beyond as the real seasons to make a push.

With seasoned vets like Miller, Vanek, Pominville, Regehr, Ehrhoff and Ott, complemented by upcoming young stars like Ennis, Hodgson, Myers, McNabb and Foligno, the Sabres can - and should - be looking to add experienced help such as Pavelski or Clowe now as much as ever.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:42 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I think this is partially what people think. He plays offensively like briere so they just assume his defense will also be like brieres

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Just say no to Hecht. Unreliability is his only calling card at the moment. Just no.

07-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Leino :burymeinfinland:

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:11 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Vanek, Gerbe, and Ott are all top-9 LWs.
Ryan, Pominville, and Leino are all top-9 RWs.

Trading Stafford doesn't require another trade.
Leino is a LW. Plus Foligno is a LW as well.

Ryan and Vanek can play both winger sides, possibly Gerbe as well. Ott maybe, don't know exactly.

Leino-Hodgson-Ryan
Foligno-Ennis-Vanek
Ott-Adam/Girgensons/Grigerenko-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta

I guess? Assuming Stafford is the only roster forward moved for Ryan (if Adam is also moved, then scratch him from the list too)

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:12 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Just say no to Hecht. Unreliability is his only calling card at the moment. Just no.
he is a safer bet than wasting 30 million on Doan...again no disrepct to Doan cuz id love him but these pipedreams are nutty

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Also, I really hope Foligno pans out.... He had an amazing month to start his career, but we're treating him as though he's a lock for a top 2 winger.

I think he'll be awesome, but I feel like I'm overrating him at this point when I step back and think about the roster.

Old
07-28-2012, 10:21 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Also, I really hope Foligno pans out.... He had an amazing month to start his career, but we're treating him as though he's a lock for a top 2 winger.

I think he'll be awesome, but I feel like I'm overrating him at this point when I step back and think about the roster.
his intangibles make him a top 9 forward no matter what. Watching this kid in Rochester was one of the greatest treats Ive ever had as a Sabres fan. I can remember in October sitting there with my friends going "watch this guy hes like a heat seeking missle he hits things he doesnt even have to"...he finishes every single check, plus he fights and boom he scores every time Id talk him up too.

Foligno is that type of player whos effort alone mixed with physical tools will keep him on a roster in the top 9 for a long long time. he likely projects at best as a 20-30 player but the hits etc make up for the 50 point offense.

Old
07-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
he is a safer bet than wasting 30 million on Doan...again no disrepct to Doan cuz id love him but these pipedreams are nutty
I don't think Doan at 30 million is a good move either. Hecht's not reliable any longer. They need a 3/4 who can play a sound defensive/shutdown role. There are still those available in free agency at this moment who aren't oft-concussed.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:47 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I don't think Doan at 30 million is a good move either. Hecht's not reliable any longer. They need a 3/4 who can play a sound defensive/shutdown role. There are still those available in free agency at this moment who aren't oft-concussed.
but not in the 1million ish range where we could likely land hecht on a 1 year contract to prove himself.

Old
07-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
but not in the 1million ish range where we could likely land hecht on a 1 year contract to prove himself.
why waste any cap space on a guy who's brain is more mush than Connollys?

I like Hecht but for the sake of him and his family he has to retire.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:10 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
why waste any cap space on a guy who's brain is more mush than Connollys?

I like Hecht but for the sake of him and his family he has to retire.
I semi-agree but if u look at my original post I said I was curious as to how his off-season has been etc and medical condition. Obviouslyly thats a huge contingency on any deal but if he's cleared to play we could do alot worse for the price we could get him for.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

We're moving on from the Hecht era. That's a step in the wrong direction.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:49 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
We're moving on from the Hecht era. That's a step in the wrong direction.
yeah we r in the ryan-doan-arnott direction

Old
07-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
yeah we r in the ryan-doan-arnott direction
RAD line?!!?

Best name since Steve , Thomas and Derek formed the STD line.

Old
07-29-2012, 10:33 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Leino is a LW. Plus Foligno is a LW as well.

Ryan and Vanek can play both winger sides, possibly Gerbe as well. Ott maybe, don't know exactly.

Leino-Hodgson-Ryan
Foligno-Ennis-Vanek
Ott-Adam/Girgensons/Grigerenko-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta

I guess? Assuming Stafford is the only roster forward moved for Ryan (if Adam is also moved, then scratch him from the list too)
Leino can play RW and actually said he prefers it when he was moved from center to LW.

At the time he said he was happy to be on wing but he actually prefered RW. My thought was come on, you can't be this much of a pain in the ass.

Last edited by joshjull: 07-29-2012 at 10:55 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote