HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The maddest/saddest you have ever been after a game

Old
07-29-2012, 02:38 AM
goosh
TwoForRoughing

vCash: 500
Saddest:

San Jose Sharks vs. LA Kings 2011 playoffs WCQF game three, when the Sharks came back from a 4-0 deficit (at Staples) and won it in OT.

That was the first (and only) time I ever cried after a hockey game.

Maddest:

Kings vs. Sens in November of 2010, when the Kings lost 3-2 in regulation and scored TWO goals that were disallowed (replay showed both should have counted but apparently it was "inconclusive"). Damn Eric Furlatt.

Last edited by goosh: 07-29-2012 at 03:06 AM.
goosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 06:14 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
2000 Eastern Conference Finals, game 7.

-Lindros getting KO'd by Stevens in the 1st period, Elias scoring with a little over 2 minutes to go in a tie-game. What a ****ing loss that was.

2004 Eastern Conference Finals, game 7.

-Really thought that was the year. After the miraculous game 6 win, I thought the momentum would have carried over.

2010 Stanley Cup Finals, game 6.

-Kane, OT winner.
These are probably 2, 3, & 4 for me. Number 1 without a doubt is Game 7 of the 1987 finals. The Edmonton Oilers broke my ten year old heart. I remember that night better than any other from my childhood.

mja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 07:15 AM
danincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Red Wing fans seem to have an excuse prepared for just about every season they didn't win the Cup in the last decade. "We were too tired from winning the first two games of the series to show up for Game 7 two weeks later" takes the cake though.
Heh, did you actually read my post? I'm not complaining about every year, I'm complaining about '09 and if you want to explain the totally odd and last minute scheduling change that completely benefited the healthy Pens then go for it.

danincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

2006 Turin Olympic Final.

Still hurts.

Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:41 AM
vadnais1972

Maddest - Game 2 of the 1974 finals. The favored Bruins did not look great in Game 1 or Game 2. A win would have sent them to Philly up 2-0. Moose Dupont scores with under a minute to go to tie it and Bobby Clarke scores the winner in OT. HUGE momentum switch and confidence builder for the Flyers. This game lost the series for Boston.

Saddest - Game 7, 1979 semi finals. This was the Bruins only real chance to end the Montreal dynasty. Gilles Gilbert stands on his head and they have a 3-1 lead heading into the third and 4-3 lead with just a few minutes to play. You all know the rest. Sort of the end of an era for both teams.

vadnais1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:56 AM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

Saddest/Maddest - After game 7 of the 2011 SCF. But the vodka helped.

End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Maddest:

Kings vs. Sens in November of 2010, when the Kings lost 3-2 in regulation and scored TWO goals that were disallowed (replay showed both should have counted but apparently it was "inconclusive"). Damn Eric Furlatt.
I was at this game - the Sens probably couldn't have gotten out of there fast enough; they knew they got away with two points they had no business having (hell, after the first disallowed goal you could see Carkner (?) laughing with his teammates on the bench about getting away with pulling the net off).

As for the Smyth high-stick, I've never liked that the referee has to make a ruling on the ice in real time, and that deficient position holding up if the replay is inconclusive. There's no way a referee can make that call accurately in real time, and if it's so close that it's inconclusive, call it a goal. Tie should go to the offense

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by danincanada View Post
Heh, did you actually read my post? I'm not complaining about every year, I'm complaining about '09 and if you want to explain the totally odd and last minute scheduling change that completely benefited the healthy Pens then go for it.
I think what people forget is that the schedule was based on how quickly the Red Wings ended the Hawks' series. If they won Game 5 (and they did) the series would start on Saturday and then Sunday. If they lost Game 5 and had to play another game or two, the series would have started the following Saturday regardless.

I really think the whole scheduling issue should be put to bed though since the Wings won both back to back games. It was the Pens AND the Red Wings that had to play back to back games, so there really wasn't an advantage there. After watching the 2008 and 2009 final (best finals in a while) it was clear to me that the Red Wings were better than the green Penguins in 2008 and the Penguins were hungrier and on a mission in 2009. The better teams won.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadnais1972 View Post
Maddest - Game 2 of the 1974 finals. The favored Bruins did not look great in Game 1 or Game 2. A win would have sent them to Philly up 2-0. Moose Dupont scores with under a minute to go to tie it and Bobby Clarke scores the winner in OT. HUGE momentum switch and confidence builder for the Flyers. This game lost the series for Boston.

Saddest - Game 7, 1979 semi finals. This was the Bruins only real chance to end the Montreal dynasty. Gilles Gilbert stands on his head and they have a 3-1 lead heading into the third and 4-3 lead with just a few minutes to play. You all know the rest. Sort of the end of an era for both teams.
Same for me.

Though maddest has about 100 games tied for second.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
I'm not saying you specifically are complaining about every year.

When Detroit won the first two games of the series, any "schedule maker screwed us" excuse was taken off the table (not that it should have been on the table in the first place). Should the Penguins have been made to wait nine days so the poor Red Wings could get healthy? Pittsburgh ended their conf. final series one day before Detroit, and had to travel. Detroit got a couple days off, which is as many as any team should get. Injuries are part of playoff hockey, if we waited for every team to heal up the Cup would be getting awarded in August.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:21 PM
candyman82

Maddest: Watching Columbus blow a two goal lead in the third on New Years Eve against the Caps last season.

Saddest: Final game of 2011-2012, knowing I had just watched Rick Nash play his last game as a Blue Jacket

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:24 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

maddest: some (non) calls by McCreary in the semis and finals in Nagano 1998. McCreary is awesome, but some stuff he missed there was brutal... (from homer point of view?)

honorable mentioning goes to game 3 of this years 1st round against the Pens

saddest: probably quarterfinals elimination on the 2004 WC, CZE-USA 2:3 after shootout. Sad b/c the tournament took place in Prague (and Ostrava) and that was our only loss in the tourney.

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 03:33 PM
goosh
TwoForRoughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I was at this game - the Sens probably couldn't have gotten out of there fast enough; they knew they got away with two points they had no business having (hell, after the first disallowed goal you could see Carkner (?) laughing with his teammates on the bench about getting away with pulling the net off).

As for the Smyth high-stick, I've never liked that the referee has to make a ruling on the ice in real time, and that deficient position holding up if the replay is inconclusive. There's no way a referee can make that call accurately in real time, and if it's so close that it's inconclusive, call it a goal. Tie should go to the offense
It was really frustrating, cause it felt like the ref just blew it down out of instinct when he saw a "high" stick. In that situation, the "initial" call should hold little to no merit.

That may have been the only hockey game that I solely blamed the loss on the refs

goosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
mad: 2011 playoffs, round one, game six against chicago.

sad: 2011 playoffs, round four, game seven against boston. especially after the game as i'm watching dead-eyed suburbanites trash my hometown on the news, and i'm getting scary sounding text updates from friends who are caught in the middle of the wreckage, teargas flying on the streets, being stuck on top of the parkade they were watching the game from because a car was blown up on the lower level and the structure is on fire.

not sure i'll ever get over that crazy year.
The final game was both the maddest and saddest for me. Both for the on the ice stuff and off the ice. In '94 we weren't supposed to be that good, taking a powerhouse like New York to the brink was a moment of pride, even if what came after was a moment of shame. But in 2011, not only were we good enough to deserve victory, but the way the world deified Boston for playing like thugs and hooligans, and vilified Vancouver for refusing to defile the game made me sick to my stomach. And it was only made worse by the citizens of Vancouver not being able to maintain the class of the team.

07-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Islanderfan17

This past season, the home game of the Toronto/Isles back to back, we got completely shafted by the refs 2 games in a row. I've never walked away from going to a game more angry at the reffing than I was this one. I witnessed Phil Kessel slash Andy MacDonald LITERALLY in front of a ref AS HE WAS WATCHING and the ref did not call anything. That whole back to back we had a total of 1 PP even though the 2nd game was one of the dirtiest I saw all season.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I'd have to disagree with that, Devils came out flying and Avs were hanging by a thread until Footer scored, that goal was the turning point in those series. To me it looked like NJ was going to crush them in the 1st period.
(Re: 2001 SCF Game 6) I was watching it while vacationing in California and haven't seen it again since, but what I remember is the Devils being in control until they "scored" an early goal that didn't count because it was kicked in. They seemed to sag after it was waved off, and Colorado started to get some life.

Someone who didn't hate both teams at the time probably has a clearer recollection, but that's what stood out to me.

Sadekuuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:10 AM
Bougieman

vCash: 200
The 2011 game 7 Stanley Cup Playoffs post game riots here in Vancouver. So disheartening, appalling, infuriating, and humiliating -- all at once. Losing the game I would get over (barely), but I still haven't gotten over what those clowns did to my city.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:09 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
Saddest: 2010 WCQF, Game 7: Detroit blows out Phoenix on home ice. Was the first time I cried after a hockey game since the 2002 gold medal game.
Easily my Maddest. I think I'm still mad.

Coyotes rolled over and died. Gutless and pathetic are too nice of adjectives for that performance.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:19 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Then you also have this beauty where the linesman told the Penguin player to get off the ice cause there were too many men. LOL, never seen that in an NHL game before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3WmdGZZWDQ
Refs talking to the players about penalties happens a little more often than you think. I recall seeing the refs tell Ovechkin in last year's 24/7 "if you keep that up, we're gonna have to call a penalty on you".

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:33 AM
danincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I think what people forget is that the schedule was based on how quickly the Red Wings ended the Hawks' series. If they won Game 5 (and they did) the series would start on Saturday and then Sunday. If they lost Game 5 and had to play another game or two, the series would have started the following Saturday regardless.
No, originally the series was supposed to start on Saturday if both teams swept their series. The Red Wings won in 5 but the NHL went ahead with starting on Saturday anyways. Regardless of what the NHL was planning at the time, that year saw the quickest leap into the finals (only 2 full days off) and an unheard of back to back games for 1 and 2. It was a very strange way to set up the schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I really think the whole scheduling issue should be put to bed though since the Wings won both back to back games. It was the Pens AND the Red Wings that had to play back to back games, so there really wasn't an advantage there. After watching the 2008 and 2009 final (best finals in a while) it was clear to me that the Red Wings were better than the green Penguins in 2008 and the Penguins were hungrier and on a mission in 2009. The better teams won.
No, it shouldn't be put to bed. I watched the Red Wings all year and it was easy to see how playing those back to backs so quickly affected them and the rest of the series. They gritted those first two games out but it was not fun to watch cause they had no legs. The NHL effectively wore them down and the fresher and healthier Pens won the war of attrition in the end. No way in hell does the NHL rush the finals if Crosby is on the shelf instead of Datsyuk.

Injuries happen and either way the Pens were going to be healthier but the last thing the Wings needed was to be rushed into a series and play back to backs.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:40 AM
danincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I'm not saying you specifically are complaining about every year.

When Detroit won the first two games of the series, any "schedule maker screwed us" excuse was taken off the table (not that it should have been on the table in the first place). Should the Penguins have been made to wait nine days so the poor Red Wings could get healthy? Pittsburgh ended their conf. final series one day before Detroit, and had to travel. Detroit got a couple days off, which is as many as any team should get. Injuries are part of playoff hockey, if we waited for every team to heal up the Cup would be getting awarded in August.
Actually, only "a couple days off" is very unusual as I've shown earlier. The GMs agreed earlier in the year that it would be more than just 2 days off but that all changed thanks to Bettman (and apparently NBC).

No one would ask that the finals be delayed that much, just the standard 4 days would have been fine. Throw in the back to backs and it was very extreme. No one would ask that the Red Wings have time to heal up. Everyone knew how beat up the Wings were going in so the rushed schedule really benefitted one team.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

vCash: 50
Quote:
No, originally the series was supposed to start on Saturday if both teams swept their series. The Red Wings won in 5 but the NHL went ahead with starting on Saturday anyways. Regardless of what the NHL was planning at the time, that year saw the quickest leap into the finals (only 2 full days off) and an unheard of back to back games for 1 and 2. It was a very strange way to set up the schedule.

No, it shouldn't be put to bed. I watched the Red Wings all year and it was easy to see how playing those back to backs so quickly affected them and the rest of the series. They gritted those first two games out but it was not fun to watch cause they had no legs. The NHL effectively wore them down and the fresher and healthier Pens won the war of attrition in the end. No way in hell does the NHL rush the finals if Crosby is on the shelf instead of Datsyuk.

Injuries happen and either way the Pens were going to be healthier but the last thing the Wings needed was to be rushed into a series and play back to backs.
You think the Penguins were so much fresher? Their first two series were straight up battles against rivals Philadelphia and Washington that lasted 6 and 7 games. They did sweep the even more battered Canes in the ECF but the first two series were certainly taxing.

Starting on Saturday/Sunday also gave the NHL prime time coverage, uncontested by the NBA Finals which had not started yet.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:43 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Torres hit on Hossa then we go on the PK. The whole building was frothing at the mouth.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:55 AM
danincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
Refs talking to the players about penalties happens a little more often than you think. I recall seeing the refs tell Ovechkin in last year's 24/7 "if you keep that up, we're gonna have to call a penalty on you".
Please, your team had possession in the offensive zone and had 6 guys on the ice for more than just a few seconds. That's a penalty, not a warning. Don't pretend there was nothing wrong with it. A warning about playing too rough is completely different.

While we're on the topic of officiating...go back and watch the last few minutes of game 6 in '08. The refs were desparately trying to get that series to 7 games. While on the PP Malone knocked Lilja's stick out of his hands and then Sykora pushed it away so he couldn't pick it up (which is a obvious penalty and helped lead to a goal) and later Datsyuk was probably going to score on the empty net and was tripped (no penalty was called). It was a bloody joke and it's hard not to think the NHL had an agenda there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-uGANtwk5M

Old
07-30-2012, 10:03 AM
danincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
You think the Penguins were so much fresher? Their first two series were straight up battles against rivals Philadelphia and Washington that lasted 6 and 7 games. They did sweep the even more battered Canes in the ECF but the first two series were certainly taxing.

Starting on Saturday/Sunday also gave the NHL prime time coverage, uncontested by the NBA Finals which had not started yet.
There is no denying who was in better shape going into those finals. The Red Wings were older and played a 7 games series against the Ducks (travelling to Cali.) although obviously that's not something to complain about because those were a given.

When comparing injuries it wasn't even close. Datsyuk missed the first 4 games due to a bad ankle and Lidstrom and Ericsson had surgery just days before the finals started. Everyone knew the Red Wings were limping into that series.

So what you are saying is that the NHL should worry about competing with the NBA even if it means putting one of the teams to a clear disadvantage with a rushed schedule. I don't think that's how the league should be run.