HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Sabres Fan In Need of Guidance

Old
07-26-2012, 10:08 PM
McTank

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Kassian? I actually had my Coho jersey changed to him (got my Coho jersey a month before he was traded... ), but I'm saving up money to get my Coho Buffalo jersey. Tanev's been awesome for us though!
yes kassian, he thinks we made a terrible horrible trade and holds a grudge on CoHo

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
yes kassian, he thinks we made a terrible horrible trade and holds a grudge on CoHo
I think it was purely a hockey trade. Vancouver got the powerforward we needed, and Buffalo gets the centre they needed. Plus, Coho wanted out of Vancouver.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:17 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagaradad View Post
And good ol' plan C where you execute a no-look drop pass at the blue line without realizing the trailing guy's not there any more, leading to a breakaway and a "softee" behind Miller.
Gragnani doesn't even play here anymore, how does that still happen?

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Oh, do you guys have any good Twitter accounts to follow for Sabres news?

Old
07-26-2012, 11:37 PM
McTank

Quote:
The official sabres account, the sabres prospects account, and the WGR guys

Old
07-26-2012, 11:49 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
The local media is quite possibly the worst local media when it comes to sports--and especially hockey. I know it's shocking for such a hockey-crazed market...but there are no knowledgable hockey people who actually understand the game.

Instead you have guys who think a package of Vanek + Leopold will get you Evgeni Malkin or something...and they work for the "mainstream" outlets (WGR, The Buffalo News, etc.)

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:55 PM
McTank

The sabres prospect is the best account but it just covers the prospects, obviously. The official account is reliable. As far as rumours go, the TSN guys are the only reliable ones really

Old
07-26-2012, 11:58 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
The local media is quite possibly the worst local media when it comes to sports--and especially hockey. I know it's shocking for such a hockey-crazed market...but there are no knowledgable hockey people who actually understand the game.

Instead you have guys who think a package of Vanek + Leopold will get you Evgeni Malkin or something...and they work for the "mainstream" outlets (WGR, The Buffalo News, etc.)
Wow...at least with Vancouver you can follow at least 3 local twitter media accounts.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:00 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:

Exactly, especially when we all KNOW it would also require Leino and a 3rd too

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:09 AM
jfb392

Quote:
We have a sticky here that I try to post all player Twitter accounts in and there's a list of press on the first page.

Honestly, I only follow the official Sabres account (@BuffaloSabres), Sabres Prospects (@sabresprospects), Bill Hoppe (@BillHoppeNHL), and all of the players/prospects.
Anyone with TBN in their name is a non-follow (Sullivan is the worst because he can't even use a computer/phone, Harrington is creepy looking and likes AAA baseball mascot races more than hockey, and Vogl isn't horrible I guess but he'll retweet his idiot coworkers).
If you want Amerks news, the official account is your best bet (@AmerksHockey).
The main reporter there (@kevinoDandC) is impatient (he wrote an article last year after they lost their first game of the season that basically called for fans to boycott the team) and will retweet insufferable hardcore AHL fans that cheer against the Sabres so that they can get "their" players back.

The media is just awful here.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
We have a sticky here that I try to post all player Twitter accounts in and there's a list of press on the first page.

Honestly, I only follow the official Sabres account (@BuffaloSabres), Sabres Prospects (@sabresprospects), Bill Hoppe (@BillHoppeNHL), and all of the players/prospects.
Anyone with TBN in their name is a non-follow (Sullivan is the worst because he can't even use a computer/phone, Harrington is creepy looking and likes AAA baseball mascot races more than hockey, and Vogl isn't horrible I guess but he'll retweet his idiot coworkers).
The main reporter there (@kevinoDandC) is impatient (he wrote an article last year after they lost their first game of the season that basically called for fans to boycott the team) and will retweet insufferable hardcore AHL fans that cheer against the Sabres so that they can get "their" players back.

Thanks for all of this!

Old
07-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Cannonball0828

Quote:
Mike Harrington is the Sabres beat writer, @BNHarrington, also John Vogl @BuffNewsVogl and WGR's (local sports radio) Paul Hamilton @pham1717. Those will probably be the ones you'll find most useful.

Cannonball0828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball0828 View Post
Mike Harrington is the Sabres beat writer, @BNHarrington, also John Vogl @BuffNewsVogl and WGR's (local sports radio) Paul Hamilton @pham1717. Those will probably be the ones you'll find most useful.
Thanks!

Old
07-27-2012, 12:21 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

Forgot about Hoppe. He's the one decent reporter we've got covering the Sabres.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 50
Remember to relax a bit around here, we can take ourselves too seriously but love humor too.

Also I'm a bad poster. Watch out for me.

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Remember to relax a bit around here, we can take ourselves too seriously but love humor too.

Also I'm a bad poster. Watch out for me.
As long as you guys don't have "fire the GM/coach" threads every two months, it's cool with me

Old
07-27-2012, 01:37 AM
McTank

Quote:
As long as you guys don't have "fire the GM/coach" threads every two months, it's cool with me
Well this may not turn out how you planned then the fire darcy hate has gone down a lot but you'll see lots of fire ruff when the season goes through rough patches

Old
07-27-2012, 01:38 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Well this may not turn out how you planned then the fire darcy hate has gone down a lot but you'll see lots of fire ruff when the season goes through rough patches
Well, I've dealt with people wanting to fire the Canucks GM/coach/etc. when the team is winning... Can't be as bad as that, right? Right?!

Old
07-27-2012, 03:52 AM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Well, I've dealt with people wanting to fire the Canucks GM/coach/etc. when the team is winning... Can't be as bad as that, right? Right?!
Well, it happened here during the year we won our division, so I'm pretty sure there will be a rough stretch of games where one of those will pop up no matter how good we are.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:54 AM
buffalowing88

You're a Canucks fan...it wont take much to get adjusted. That being said just expect mediocrity and get unusually excited if anything above that occurs. As for the boards id suggest doing what I do and listening to posters who have over 1000 posts exclusively. Otherwise be it right or wrong you're going to catch an illegitimate opinion. Jame has extreme opinions but he backs it up with facts. Buffaloed/Chainshot/Jjull/Afino/Clock/JimBob will normally chip in with good points so pay attention to them.

Otherwise just enjoy a forum that is always questioning the status quo.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:06 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
hahahah welllll.
As has been noted, we're all cool with Darcy now. Since, under Pegula, he's actually surprised us a few times and gone out and made a splash...And somehow got a 1st for Paul freaking Gaustad.

But you're probably gonna see some complaints about Lindy Ruff. It'll go like this:
"WHY DOES RUFF DESTROY ALL PLAYERS/make all the d-men pinch even if they suck at skating/suck at running a PP?"
"X, y, and z are having great seasons, maybe a, b, and c just kind of suck/are slumping."
"Ruined Vanek, remember the Russian players he hated?, Luke Adam, etc."
"Adam played himself off the roster"
"Linda's been here too long, need a new voice, message is stale"
"Well, if he's good enough for team Canada, he's good enough for me"

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Niagaradad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Instead you have guys who think a package of Vanek + Leopold will get you Evgeni Malkin or something
Malkin plays for Columbus?

Niagaradad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Oh, it can be. I suspect the Sabres current duo finally goes away sooner rather than later akin to the Torrey-Arbour relationship back in the day on the Island. Eventually, everyone moves on.

As for who should go, the anti-Ruff crowd tends to come out after any loss. The anti-Regier crowd comes out after several losses. From a personal standpoint, I don't think you can have Ruff go without Regier also going nor do I think a new GM should be saddled with a previous GM's selection behind the bench so if either one goes, the other one is going as well. This season could be make or break for both.

07-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Thanks for all the responses!

Old
07-27-2012, 11:19 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
It's a little bit of a different situation when the same guys have been on the job for 15 years. Some people will continue to think one or both should be fired no matter what happens during the season just because they're so burnt out from watching them fail.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote