HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How will Jeff Skinners new contract affect future contract of our kids?

Old
08-08-2012, 08:03 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 1677
How will Jeff Skinners new contract affect future contract of our kids?

Looking at Jeff Skinner's contract reportedly 6 years at a cap hit of 5.72

previous first overall picks (yes i know Skinner was not a first overall--but Hall, Nuge and Yakupov are a step down from some of the previous first rounders and I think Skinner is a good comparison for a starting point)

Stamkos-- got 7.5 a year cap hit
Tavares got a contract with a 5.5 cap hit
Kane 6.3 cap hit
Toews 6.3 and Staal 6.00--Johnson went first but is a d and has struggled he got 3.75

Looking at those numbers, With Hall and Eberle the first ones up. I think we will be looking at contracts for 5.5 to 6.0 for both.

Do you think we can get them signed to 6 to 8 year deals at that rate?

I know I want to stay away from contract that have a cap hit of 7mill + but that is just me. I think if we can get the kids under long term deal where they are all under 6mill cap hit a year--that would leave money for further down the roster

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:40 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
5.5-6.0 in a 70 million cap is roughly 8% of the cap. if you can get four top tier offensive players locked up for 32% of your cap with that caliber of talent? sounds fine to me.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

vCash: 500
Whether they sign in this CBA or not, I hope it's under 6 mill. With that said, I was never a fan of those 10+ year contracts. I hope the Oilers avoid those type of contracts to be honest.

Also, I'd like to say I love John Taveras for signing a contract like that. lol.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Musashi

what are the chances they sign like Skinner before the new cba?

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:19 AM
djdub
#6cups

I wonder why Tambo isn't pushing hard to sign Hall and Ebs to long term extensions? I know it is most likely their agent telling them to wait but I would assume Skinner's agent was too. Tambo seriously need to stop sitting on his hands.

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:22 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post
I wonder why Tambo isn't pushing hard to sign Hall and Ebs to long term extensions? I know it is most likely their agent telling them to wait but I would assume Skinner's agent was too. Tambo seriously need to stop sitting on his hands.
How do you actually know that he's doing nothing? Rarely do these things get leaked to the media in Edmonton.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Skm

I would offer a very similar deal (to Skinner's) to both Hall and Eberle right now.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:27 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 10185
Quote:
How do you know he isn't? There's been talk of a possible rollback of salaries in the new CBA, maybe Hall and Eberle want to wait?

OilDrop37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Cam98

i think now seeing skinners contract... being more then tavares lol.... i see eberle/hall signing minimum 6m

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:29 AM
oakfield

Quote:
I love how this is always the sentiment if no announcement has been made. Must be sitting on his hands. Definitely.

oakfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Summary

vCash: 1574
So tired of hearing them reffered to as "our kids". It's gotten beyond creepy, for goodness sake Eberle is 22 now! How long is this supposed to last.

Not just as a pet peeve of mine but frankly, the Oilers aren't gonna be a good hockey team as long as we're still focused in the offseason on finding players that can help shelter or "protect the kids". The team isn't some communal nest. They're playing hockey with the big boys now

Summary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Petro Points

6M x 6yrs for both Hall and Ebs please.

Getting more then Tavares and Skinner should make them happy.
Locking up the 2 for 6yrs should make EDM happy.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:04 AM
AvOiL
5-14-6-1

I'd be happy with $50 MM/8 year deals for the big 4. $6.25 MM cap hit might be a bit high, but you're locking them in long-term.

AvOiL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summary View Post
So tired of hearing them reffered to as "our kids". It's gotten beyond creepy, for goodness sake Eberle is 22 now! How long is this supposed to last.

Not just as a pet peeve of mine but frankly, the Oilers aren't gonna be a good hockey team as long as we're still focused in the offseason on finding players that can help shelter or "protect the kids". The team isn't some communal nest. They're playing hockey with the big boys now
kinda agree that the 22 now is the 25 of old. Guys like Eberle and Gagner should be hitting the prime years very shortly.
No one considers guys like Giroux and Stamkos kids anymore.

The only 'kid' over the age of 22 is Sid

Having said that... our top line talent does require some sheltering just due to their size. We need size\grit in top 6 to compliment the skill.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summary View Post

Not that big of a deal but I'm kind of in agreement, I find it creepy too haha. There's too many of them to write it out each time so I usually say "young guys" or something along those lines.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:18 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Haha. Just opened the thread to comment how creepy I find it when people say"our kids". Glad to see I'm not alone.

But also, how does Skinner get more than Tavares? I'd rather have Tavares any day and twice on Sundays.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Haha. Just opened the thread to comment how creepy I find it when people say"our kids". Glad to see I'm not alone.

But also, how does Skinner get more than Tavares? I'd rather have Tavares any day and twice on Sundays.
The Islanders somehow got Tavares to sign a VERY favourable contract.

I kind of feel bad for him, if he played in almost any other market people would realize how good he is and it seems like he is going to be locked into that limbo market for years to come. He was the #4 scoring center in the league in his 3rd year in the league. Also being above 51% in the dot is not bad for a 21 year old.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

The 5.5 Tavares signed for is probably a higher % of the cap than the 5.752 that Skinner signed at.

I think it means we can get all the kids signed longish term for around 5.75-6.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:46 AM
BowDangles

I think Tambo might be a little nervous to pull the trigger on a Hall deal, for all we know he could come back as a completely different player after the surgery.

That being said I would be willing to take the risk and hopefully get them signed to identical contracts similar to Skinner.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:57 AM
okgooil

any where between 5.5-6.5 for longer than 6 years I am ok with. I really hope they sign closer to 5.5 and for more than 10 years, but, Just get them locked up and I am happy.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I think Tambo might be a little nervous to pull the trigger on a Hall deal, for all we know he could come back as a completely different player after the surgery.

That being said I would be willing to take the risk and hopefully get them signed to identical contracts similar to Skinner.
Baaahh! When was the last time we gave a terrible deal to a player coming off of shoulder surgery?

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
any where between 5.5-6.5 for longer than 6 years I am ok with. I really hope they sign closer to 5.5 and for more than 10 years, but, Just get them locked up and I am happy.
Look what the bolded has done to Luongo's value around the league.
I would rather have us stick to a deal that takes them to last year of RFA. Maximum for anyone should be a 8yr deal.

Luongo minus the length of his contract would have fetch VAN a lot more then what he will fetch now.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:31 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
I would rather have us stick to a deal that takes them to last year of RFA. Maximum for anyone should be a 8yr deal.

Luongo minus the length of his contract would have fetch VAN a lot more then what he will fetch now.
Being 30 is what hurt Lou and the Nucks when he signed that deal. Not a fan of those deals, but any GM that gives a 30 year old a 12 year deal needs to give their head a shake.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:41 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post

I disagree, every one around here seems to be against the long term deals and I really don't know why. It is a gamble, no doubt, but not signing them to a long term deal is a gamble to. I would gladly take the chance and lock them up long term. Sign them to a 3 year deal, then watch them become superstars and ask for 8-9 mill at that time.

there are plenty of long term deals that have worked out great for the team.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:52 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
5.5-6.0 in a 70 million cap is roughly 8% of the cap. if you can get four top tier offensive players locked up for 32% of your cap with that caliber of talent? sounds fine to me.
add in a stud D man at 10 % and a real good goalie at 5 %. A real good second line C man at 8% and we have a sound team with 45 % left to fill in the team

supert is offline   Reply With Quote