HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

AJ Burnett's Pirates! | Home of the Back-to-Back NL Player of the Month

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 02:55 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Not those one's. I'm talking the ones they sell that look like legit jerseys, but made as a t-shirt.

Got a Cutch and Walker one. I want a Marte one, now.
May wanna hold off - if he sticks with the team he'll probably get a "real" number of his choosing instead of 64, which I'm guessing he was assigned.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:17 PM
regard

Anyone hear yet where he'll bat in the lineup?

Old
07-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Oxide

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Anyone hear yet where he'll bat in the lineup?
Leadoff

Old
07-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
How good is this guy projected to be?

Old
07-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
He's similar to last years cutch

Old
07-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
He's a very similar prospect to what McCutchen was...but we have to remember that McCutchen has exceeded all expectations, especially on the power front.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
07-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

Rob Biertempfel ‏@BiertempfelTrib

Quote:
#Pirates move Correia to bullpen. Wandy will start Saturday v #Astros. Gorkys sent to Indy

Old
07-26-2012, 04:13 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Question about baseball drafting...

Now that the Pirates couldn't sign Appel, they get the #9 overall pick next season (it is #9 right?). Is that pick a compensation pick where they also get their normal draft pick, giving them two first rounders, or does that Appel pick replace their normal pick?

Old
07-26-2012, 04:14 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
He's a very similar prospect to what McCutchen was...but we have to remember that McCutchen has exceeded all expectations, especially on the power front.
Would be nice if we could hit two home runs with these guys...

Lord knows this team deserves it.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Question about baseball drafting...

Now that the Pirates couldn't sign Appel, they get the #9 overall pick next season (it is #9 right?). Is that pick a compensation pick where they also get their normal draft pick, giving them two first rounders, or does that Appel pick replace their normal pick?
Compensation pick that has no bearing on their normal pick.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:15 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Compensation pick that has no bearing on their normal pick.
They still can only spend so much money though right? Or can they spend more since they get that comp pick?

Old
07-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucbourdon View Post
where da wrestling fans at!

yes! Yes! Yes!

Old
07-26-2012, 04:18 PM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
They still can only spend so much money though right? Or can they spend more since they get that comp pick?
They get an allotted amount to spend for every slot they draft in, which totals to what they can spend from what I understand.

They will get two first-round allotments, giving them more overall to spend.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:19 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
They get an allotted amount to spend for every slot they draft in, which totals to what they can spend from what I understand.

Ah, ok thanks for the answers guys!

Old
07-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post

Don't forget the early sandwich pick, too.

The Pirates' draft budget next year should be considerably higher.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:23 PM
bradshaw06

Quote:
Don't forget the early sandwich pick, too.

The Pirates' draft budget next year should be considerably higher.

so they'll have the 9th, 30th and 32nd with the sandwich, correct

Old
07-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
so they'll have the 9th, 30th and 32nd with the sandwich, correct
exactly!

Old
07-26-2012, 04:26 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Mmmm, sandwich

Old
07-26-2012, 04:45 PM
DJ Spinoza

Random thoughts:

1. I don't think it's likely that Marte is being auditioned for a trade. I suppose some MLB at-bats could enhance the value he has, but the sample size is so ridiculously small that it would be stupid to base anything on his first week in the majors, good or bad. I think it likely points to the fact that it will be tough to get a starter through a trade, coupled with the fact that Marte's ceiling is better than most of what's available anyways.

2. Correia to the bullpen is the right call. He's done a solid job, but now we have the depth to make this the right move. For me it seems that Burnett, Wandy, J-Mac, and Karstens are a lockdown top 4, and Bedard is a much better pitcher than Correia when he's healthy/on. If Bedard starts to look tired, Correia can spot start for him or take over if it comes to that, but...

3. If we get any kind of offer than includes a good hitting prospect or a piece that helps fill another need on the team, Correia should be dealt at the deadline. It may sound harsh and heartless, since he's overall been a sturdy pitcher, but it'd be a very good baseball move given our other starters. If not, he's possibly valuable as an emergency guy out of the pen/long reliever. [In terms of speculation, it might make it easier to move a guy like Hughes to get someone like Victorino, even though that's not an amazing move for the long term... I'd be inclined to do it just because Huntington has shown year in and year out that he can build a good bullpen from scratch].

4. This might sound crazy, but if we get a good offer for Hanrahan, I'd trade him and make Lincoln the closer.

5. Really looking forward to tonight's game. I remember when Alvarez was called up, which was nicer because I was able to get last-minute tickets right on the baseline to see his first start. I'd be doing the same if this was at home.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Oxide

vCash: 50
http://www.piratesprospects.com/2012...n-correia.html

Pirates shopping Correia.

Correia is 6-0 with a 3.89 ERA in his last seven starts. Should hold some value to a few teams in need of pitching.

Last edited by Oxide: 07-26-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old
07-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Climacus View Post
Random thoughts:

1. I don't think it's likely that Marte is being auditioned for a trade. I suppose some MLB at-bats could enhance the value he has, but the sample size is so ridiculously small that it would be stupid to base anything on his first week in the majors, good or bad. I think it likely points to the fact that it will be tough to get a starter through a trade, coupled with the fact that Marte's ceiling is better than most of what's available anyways.

2. Correia to the bullpen is the right call. He's done a solid job, but now we have the depth to make this the right move. For me it seems that Burnett, Wandy, J-Mac, and Karstens are a lockdown top 4, and Bedard is a much better pitcher than Correia when he's healthy/on. If Bedard starts to look tired, Correia can spot start for him or take over if it comes to that, but...

3. If we get any kind of offer than includes a good hitting prospect or a piece that helps fill another need on the team, Correia should be dealt at the deadline. It may sound harsh and heartless, since he's overall been a sturdy pitcher, but it'd be a very good baseball move given our other starters. If not, he's possibly valuable as an emergency guy out of the pen/long reliever. [In terms of speculation, it might make it easier to move a guy like Hughes to get someone like Victorino, even though that's not an amazing move for the long term... I'd be inclined to do it just because Huntington has shown year in and year out that he can build a good bullpen from scratch].

4. This might sound crazy, but if we get a good offer for Hanrahan, I'd trade him and make Lincoln the closer.

5. Really looking forward to tonight's game. I remember when Alvarez was called up, which was nicer because I was able to get last-minute tickets right on the baseline to see his first start. I'd be doing the same if this was at home.
I doub tthis happens anyway since I doubt Hammer is going anywhere, but what about Grilli in the 9th and Lincoln in the 8th. I think both works and I love Lincoln, but Grilli has been in those big late game spots and awesome all year.

Although, as I type it, Lincoln has been awesome of late and Grilli shakier and LIncoln just feels better to me, so nevermind...

Old
07-26-2012, 05:18 PM
DJ Spinoza

Yeah, I'm not sure about Grilli. He likes getting into trouble too much for it not to bite him as a closer. With that said, it seems really unlikely that Hanrahan would be dealt, but with Lincoln's emergence lately, selling high would be a good idea. It might go over poorly, especially if he's dealt for minor leaguers, but I also think a lot of people are turned on to Lincoln as closer.

Marte's wearing no. 6, Wandy no. 51.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Grilli has 4 career saves at the age of 35...I wouldn't want him closing. He's in his ideal spot right now.

If you're serious about a playoff push you can't trade Hanrahan mid-season. The option is always there to deal him in the off-season.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Grilli has 4 career saves at the age of 35...I wouldn't want him closing. He's in his ideal spot right now.

If you're serious about a playoff push you can't trade Hanrahan mid-season. The option is always there to deal him in the off-season.
He won't get traded. As far as I'm concerned that was purely hypothetical even though I don't know if it's necessarily a bad move if you can really get value which I think there would be a chance, but it won't happen.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Hanrahan's value would be through the roof...but he's just too valuable to even consider hypotheticals right now.

I'd be all for exploring trade options in the off-season. The shelf-life of closers in this league tends to be extremely short and the only way we're ever going to get full value out of Lincoln is if we put him in that role, since he sure as hell isn't going to be starting for us.

Closed Thread