HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

AJ Burnett's Pirates! | Home of the Back-to-Back NL Player of the Month

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2012, 10:29 PM
  #826
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Barajas is a veteran renown for calling a good game...and Burnett's best post-Florida/pre-Pittsburgh season came with Barajas catching him, so there's a comfort factor.
huh. Just something I would have never even considered I guess. Considering how mental Pitching is I guess it makes sense. I'm sure you guys can tell I'm fresh on the bandwagon -- well I half watched it when my roommate would turn it on last year -- but now that I actually watch consistently it is a lot deeper than I ever knew.

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
07-31-2012, 10:31 PM
  #827
stefanh
Registered User
 
stefanh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Which makes you believe that the Pirates will sign Barajas for another year. (IIRC, he is just signed for this year)
He's got a club option for next year. Think it's for 3.5M

stefanh is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 10:32 PM
  #828
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Lesshaus > Morehaus
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,380
vCash: 500
Pirates beat the Cubs? All right!

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 10:34 PM
  #829
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
He's got a club option for next year. Think it's for 3.5M
Nice. Thanks stefanh for the info.

td_ice is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 10:36 PM
  #830
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,502
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
huh. Just something I would have never even considered I guess. Considering how mental Pitching is I guess it makes sense. I'm sure you guys can tell I'm fresh on the bandwagon -- well I half watched it when my roommate would turn it on last year -- but now that I actually watch consistently it is a lot deeper than I ever knew.
Honestly, the pitcher-catcher relationship is something you just can't really grasp without being part of one. Many guys who are, on the surface, awful players have had lengthy careers because they just latched on to what appears to be a successful pitcher...but if you ask the pitcher they'll always give a ton of credit to that catcher. It's a bit of a symbiotic relationship, one that's basically possible because good hitting catchers are so rare.


And yeah, he does have an option that'll likely be picked up. Barajas/McKenry has been pretty productive as a tandem, though I do think we're going to start seeing McKenry doing more of the heavy lifting (at least more of a 5/5 split instead of a 3/2 split).

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 10:43 PM
  #831
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,577
vCash: 500
I would love to see the ratings that Root sports gets for the up coming Cincy series.

Those are can't miss games.

td_ice is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 10:43 PM
  #832
Dylonus
Registered User
 
Dylonus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 10,324
vCash: 500
Unless Tony Sanchez miraculously turns things around, I can't imagine Barajas leaving. Plus, losing him could kill Burnett's confidence.

Dylonus is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 10:45 PM
  #833
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 5,515
vCash: 500
The problem is Barajas can't throw out a runner.. at all.

Harv is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 10:47 PM
  #834
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Honestly, the pitcher-catcher relationship is something you just can't really grasp without being part of one. Many guys who are, on the surface, awful players have had lengthy careers because they just latched on to what appears to be a successful pitcher...but if you ask the pitcher they'll always give a ton of credit to that catcher. It's a bit of a symbiotic relationship, one that's basically possible because good hitting catchers are so rare.


And yeah, he does have an option that'll likely be picked up. Barajas/McKenry has been pretty productive as a tandem, though I do think we're going to start seeing McKenry doing more of the heavy lifting (at least more of a 5/5 split instead of a 3/2 split).
So you're telling me there's more to a pitcher/catcher than throwing a ball back and forth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
The problem is Barajas can't throw out a runner.. at all.
Fort really doesn't seem any better at it to me. It really seems like teams should just have any decent runner steal all game.

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
07-31-2012, 10:57 PM
  #835
Dylonus
Registered User
 
Dylonus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 10,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
The problem is Barajas can't throw out a runner.. at all.
To be honest, this entire league lacks many quality catchers in that regard.

Dylonus is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 11:04 PM
  #836
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,805
vCash: 500
Is there a radio station that usual broadcasts all the Pirates games? I've decided that I should get on the bandwagon officially. No cable or anything, but I'd be down to listen to the games from here on out. So any radio feed I can get online would be super!

invictus is online now  
Old
07-31-2012, 11:04 PM
  #837
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 5,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Is there a radio station that usual broadcasts all the Pirates games? I've decided that I should get on the bandwagon officially. No cable or anything, but I'd be down to listen to the games from here on out. So any radio feed I can get online would be super!
Pittsburgh is 93.7 the fan.

Harv is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 11:05 PM
  #838
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Is there a radio station that usual broadcasts all the Pirates games? I've decided that I should get on the bandwagon officially. No cable or anything, but I'd be down to listen to the games from here on out. So any radio feed I can get online would be super!
the games are all on 93.7 the fan.

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
07-31-2012, 11:24 PM
  #839
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,329
vCash: 500
Is 93.7 on Iheartradio?

__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 11:27 PM
  #840
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Pittsburgh is 93.7 the fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
the games are all on 93.7 the fan.
Thanks, guys! Don't worry, if they start to suck immediately, I will stop listening

invictus is online now  
Old
07-31-2012, 11:29 PM
  #841
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,502
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
The problem is Barajas can't throw out a runner.. at all.
Nor can McKenry...or half the catchers in this league.

Half the problem with the Pirates' steal issues is that the coaching staff doesn't want the pitchers to change their motions too much with baserunners on, which leads to longer deliveries, which leads to the majority of steal attempts being no contests even with good throws.

As long as the pitching is doing well it's really hard to complain about stolen bases...but if the pitching starts to go downhill again then it'll be a focal point.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 11:59 PM
  #842
Mr. T
Registered User
 
Mr. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Pirates beat the Cubs? All right!
Yes, "the best fans in baseball" were sad.

Actual quote from their d-bag play-by-play guy.

Mr. T is online now  
Old
08-01-2012, 01:21 AM
  #843
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!
 
Jules Winnfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Is 93.7 on Iheartradio?
No. It pisses me off that I can't use my iPhone to listen to the game sometimes.

If anyone knows otherwise how to listen to them on your phone, please post it.

Jules Winnfield is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 02:02 AM
  #844
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,056
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
To me.. the thread has to be changed to "AJ Burnett's Pirates". This is his team right now. He's really captivated this entire fan base as a whole. He's also taking in everything the town has given back to him and used it as positive energy.

AJ Burnett is streak killer. We won't have too many losing streaks while this guy is in the rotation. He's been a beast all year long. It's his team right now. Cutch & AJ Burnett have this town completely invested in the Pirates.

ColePens is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 02:12 AM
  #845
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,502
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
To me.. the thread has to be changed to "AJ Burnett's Pirates". This is his team right now. He's really captivated this entire fan base as a whole. He's also taking in everything the town has given back to him and used it as positive energy.

AJ Burnett is streak killer. We won't have too many losing streaks while this guy is in the rotation. He's been a beast all year long. It's his team right now. Cutch & AJ Burnett have this town completely invested in the Pirates.
Noted and changed, though I have my doubts about Burnett's abilities to develop a video game.

I've been saying this all night...whenever the Pirates start hitting a snag, we get to AJ in the rotation and he gives us a phenomenal start. Best cheap veteran acquisition ever.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 02:59 AM
  #846
Iggy Smalls
Registered User
 
Iggy Smalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
No. It pisses me off that I can't use my iPhone to listen to the game sometimes.

If anyone knows otherwise how to listen to them on your phone, please post it.
Download TuneIn Radio. The app is free and boasts a 4 and a half star rating; I started using it around the NHL Draft. The amount of stations it supports on both AM/FM is outstanding. There's also a "pro" version for 99 cents.

Iggy Smalls is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 08:18 AM
  #847
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangBanged View Post
Download TuneIn Radio. The app is free and boasts a 4 and a half star rating; I started using it around the NHL Draft. The amount of stations it supports on both AM/FM is outstanding. There's also a "pro" version for 99 cents.
Not sure it does Pirates games. I have the app, and it is great. But I wanted to use it to listen to a Sunday afternoon game, while out walking, and the FAN was playing a sports talk segment while the game was in progress. Maybe it conflicts with MLB.com radio package, I dunno.

td_ice is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 08:25 AM
  #848
Blitzburgh87*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,647
vCash: 500
2:20 start today boys. Jeff Karstens on the helm.

Blitzburgh87* is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 08:35 AM
  #849
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 13,890
vCash: 500
I finally got to watch an AJ Burnett pitched game for the Pirates and what a game to see. Just love how he has movement on every pitch, something I just rarely see from a Pirates starter. We shouldnt be getting pissy about the ump in the 8th, he made the right calls. I am surprised in this modern day and age they actually let him finish the game with the way people are overzealous about pitch counts. Thats a whole other issue but all I can draw back upon is many many years ago when I used to pitch that I was never tired from pitching and always wanted to do more of it. I hated being limited by rules within the league as to how much I could pitch so much so my coaches would pull me from games to save my innings for later in the week when we already had a lead. I am glad Hurdle let Burnett finish it out and get the complete game shutout though, I think that goes a long way for a pitcher and their confidence and it's nothing to friggen scoff at.

Gooch is offline  
Old
08-01-2012, 08:41 AM
  #850
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I finally got to watch an AJ Burnett pitched game for the Pirates and what a game to see. Just love how he has movement on every pitch, something I just rarely see from a Pirates starter. We shouldnt be getting pissy about the ump in the 8th, he made the right calls. I am surprised in this modern day and age they actually let him finish the game with the way people are overzealous about pitch counts. Thats a whole other issue but all I can draw back upon is many many years ago when I used to pitch that I was never tired from pitching and always wanted to do more of it. I hated being limited by rules within the league as to how much I could pitch so much so my coaches would pull me from games to save my innings for later in the week when we already had a lead. I am glad Hurdle let Burnett finish it out and get the complete game shutout though, I think that goes a long way for a pitcher and their confidence and it's nothing to friggen scoff at.
Same here, finally a Pirates game on TV. Thanks WGN. After the Expos left I really never had a favorite team and being in Montreal you only get Yankees, Jays and Red Sox games, kind of boring since all we use to watch was the National league before the Expos moved. Anyways trying to get into it now and hopefully they show a little more Pirates on TV

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.