HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

AJ Burnett's Pirates! | Home of the Back-to-Back NL Player of the Month

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Barajas is a veteran renown for calling a good game...and Burnett's best post-Florida/pre-Pittsburgh season came with Barajas catching him, so there's a comfort factor.
huh. Just something I would have never even considered I guess. Considering how mental Pitching is I guess it makes sense. I'm sure you guys can tell I'm fresh on the bandwagon -- well I half watched it when my roommate would turn it on last year -- but now that I actually watch consistently it is a lot deeper than I ever knew.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:31 PM
stefanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Which makes you believe that the Pirates will sign Barajas for another year. (IIRC, he is just signed for this year)
He's got a club option for next year. Think it's for 3.5M

Old
07-31-2012, 10:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Pirates beat the Cubs? All right!

Old
07-31-2012, 10:34 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
He's got a club option for next year. Think it's for 3.5M
Nice. Thanks stefanh for the info.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:36 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
huh. Just something I would have never even considered I guess. Considering how mental Pitching is I guess it makes sense. I'm sure you guys can tell I'm fresh on the bandwagon -- well I half watched it when my roommate would turn it on last year -- but now that I actually watch consistently it is a lot deeper than I ever knew.
Honestly, the pitcher-catcher relationship is something you just can't really grasp without being part of one. Many guys who are, on the surface, awful players have had lengthy careers because they just latched on to what appears to be a successful pitcher...but if you ask the pitcher they'll always give a ton of credit to that catcher. It's a bit of a symbiotic relationship, one that's basically possible because good hitting catchers are so rare.

And yeah, he does have an option that'll likely be picked up. Barajas/McKenry has been pretty productive as a tandem, though I do think we're going to start seeing McKenry doing more of the heavy lifting (at least more of a 5/5 split instead of a 3/2 split).

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
07-31-2012, 10:43 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

I would love to see the ratings that Root sports gets for the up coming Cincy series.

Those are can't miss games.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:43 PM
Dylonus

Unless Tony Sanchez miraculously turns things around, I can't imagine Barajas leaving. Plus, losing him could kill Burnett's confidence.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:45 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

The problem is Barajas can't throw out a runner.. at all.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Honestly, the pitcher-catcher relationship is something you just can't really grasp without being part of one. Many guys who are, on the surface, awful players have had lengthy careers because they just latched on to what appears to be a successful pitcher...but if you ask the pitcher they'll always give a ton of credit to that catcher. It's a bit of a symbiotic relationship, one that's basically possible because good hitting catchers are so rare.

And yeah, he does have an option that'll likely be picked up. Barajas/McKenry has been pretty productive as a tandem, though I do think we're going to start seeing McKenry doing more of the heavy lifting (at least more of a 5/5 split instead of a 3/2 split).
So you're telling me there's more to a pitcher/catcher than throwing a ball back and forth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Fort really doesn't seem any better at it to me. It really seems like teams should just have any decent runner steal all game.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
To be honest, this entire league lacks many quality catchers in that regard.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:04 PM
invictus

Is there a radio station that usual broadcasts all the Pirates games? I've decided that I should get on the bandwagon officially. No cable or anything, but I'd be down to listen to the games from here on out. So any radio feed I can get online would be super!

Old
07-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Is there a radio station that usual broadcasts all the Pirates games? I've decided that I should get on the bandwagon officially. No cable or anything, but I'd be down to listen to the games from here on out. So any radio feed I can get online would be super!
Pittsburgh is 93.7 the fan.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:05 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
the games are all on 93.7 the fan.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:24 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Is 93.7 on Iheartradio?

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
07-31-2012, 11:27 PM
invictus

Quote:
Pittsburgh is 93.7 the fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
the games are all on 93.7 the fan.
Thanks, guys! Don't worry, if they start to suck immediately, I will stop listening

Old
07-31-2012, 11:29 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Nor can McKenry...or half the catchers in this league.

Half the problem with the Pirates' steal issues is that the coaching staff doesn't want the pitchers to change their motions too much with baserunners on, which leads to longer deliveries, which leads to the majority of steal attempts being no contests even with good throws.

As long as the pitching is doing well it's really hard to complain about stolen bases...but if the pitching starts to go downhill again then it'll be a focal point.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:59 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Pirates beat the Cubs? All right!
Yes, "the best fans in baseball" were sad.

Actual quote from their d-bag play-by-play guy.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Is 93.7 on Iheartradio?
No. It pisses me off that I can't use my iPhone to listen to the game sometimes.

If anyone knows otherwise how to listen to them on your phone, please post it.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:02 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
To me.. the thread has to be changed to "AJ Burnett's Pirates". This is his team right now. He's really captivated this entire fan base as a whole. He's also taking in everything the town has given back to him and used it as positive energy.

AJ Burnett is streak killer. We won't have too many losing streaks while this guy is in the rotation. He's been a beast all year long. It's his team right now. Cutch & AJ Burnett have this town completely invested in the Pirates.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:12 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
To me.. the thread has to be changed to "AJ Burnett's Pirates". This is his team right now. He's really captivated this entire fan base as a whole. He's also taking in everything the town has given back to him and used it as positive energy.

AJ Burnett is streak killer. We won't have too many losing streaks while this guy is in the rotation. He's been a beast all year long. It's his team right now. Cutch & AJ Burnett have this town completely invested in the Pirates.
Noted and changed, though I have my doubts about Burnett's abilities to develop a video game.

I've been saying this all night...whenever the Pirates start hitting a snag, we get to AJ in the rotation and he gives us a phenomenal start. Best cheap veteran acquisition ever.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:59 AM
Iggy Smalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
No. It pisses me off that I can't use my iPhone to listen to the game sometimes.

If anyone knows otherwise how to listen to them on your phone, please post it.
Download TuneIn Radio. The app is free and boasts a 4 and a half star rating; I started using it around the NHL Draft. The amount of stations it supports on both AM/FM is outstanding. There's also a "pro" version for 99 cents.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:18 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangBanged View Post
Download TuneIn Radio. The app is free and boasts a 4 and a half star rating; I started using it around the NHL Draft. The amount of stations it supports on both AM/FM is outstanding. There's also a "pro" version for 99 cents.
Not sure it does Pirates games. I have the app, and it is great. But I wanted to use it to listen to a Sunday afternoon game, while out walking, and the FAN was playing a sports talk segment while the game was in progress. Maybe it conflicts with MLB.com radio package, I dunno.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Blitzburgh87*

2:20 start today boys. Jeff Karstens on the helm.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Gooch

I finally got to watch an AJ Burnett pitched game for the Pirates and what a game to see. Just love how he has movement on every pitch, something I just rarely see from a Pirates starter. We shouldnt be getting pissy about the ump in the 8th, he made the right calls. I am surprised in this modern day and age they actually let him finish the game with the way people are overzealous about pitch counts. Thats a whole other issue but all I can draw back upon is many many years ago when I used to pitch that I was never tired from pitching and always wanted to do more of it. I hated being limited by rules within the league as to how much I could pitch so much so my coaches would pull me from games to save my innings for later in the week when we already had a lead. I am glad Hurdle let Burnett finish it out and get the complete game shutout though, I think that goes a long way for a pitcher and their confidence and it's nothing to friggen scoff at.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I finally got to watch an AJ Burnett pitched game for the Pirates and what a game to see. Just love how he has movement on every pitch, something I just rarely see from a Pirates starter. We shouldnt be getting pissy about the ump in the 8th, he made the right calls. I am surprised in this modern day and age they actually let him finish the game with the way people are overzealous about pitch counts. Thats a whole other issue but all I can draw back upon is many many years ago when I used to pitch that I was never tired from pitching and always wanted to do more of it. I hated being limited by rules within the league as to how much I could pitch so much so my coaches would pull me from games to save my innings for later in the week when we already had a lead. I am glad Hurdle let Burnett finish it out and get the complete game shutout though, I think that goes a long way for a pitcher and their confidence and it's nothing to friggen scoff at.
Same here, finally a Pirates game on TV. Thanks WGN. After the Expos left I really never had a favorite team and being in Montreal you only get Yankees, Jays and Red Sox games, kind of boring since all we use to watch was the National league before the Expos moved. Anyways trying to get into it now and hopefully they show a little more Pirates on TV

Closed Thread