HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AJ Burnett's Pirates! | Home of the Back-to-Back NL Player of the Month

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2012, 10:39 PM
End of Line
Human After All

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
Not to mention their catcher will be suspended.
For what?

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
08-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Making contact with the umpire.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:00 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Makes sense then lol.

Old
08-02-2012, 04:09 AM
Jaded-Fan

Just one more stat to make you worry about keeping up the pact that they have:

Cincinnati Reds 450 RS 383 RA +67
Pittsburgh Pirates 431 RS 395 RA +36
St. Louis Cardinals 518 RS 416 RA +102

RS = Runs Scored
RA = Runs Allowed

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standings

Coupled with the Pirates basically having everything from injuries to one run game wins going hugely in their favor thus far, you have to worry that the record will fall to the stats eventually and some of these things going right will have to fall off at some point. And that the unbelievably bad luck compared to statistics that has hurt St. Louis will conversely also have to reverse.

Old
08-02-2012, 05:55 AM
porrylogspop

Ipod fodder

I get picked on at work for having Barbie girl on my IPOD, but when I was a bouncer at a night club when it was big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

hen I did my semester abroad in Aarhus, Denmark I took an intensive Danish language course for the month leading up to classes starting...where at the end of it we basically had to make giant ***** of ourselves for the enjoyment of the teachers. My teacher asked what we knew about Danish culture...and Barbie Girl was the first thing that popped to mind (despite the fact that Søren Kierkegaard played a huge role in me going to Denmark, I go with that thing). So our skit was traditional Danish dancing (which inevitably broke down quickly into every awful dance move we knew) set to Barbie Girl. Soon that song was played at every international student party, at all the clubs, and it usually involved a bunch of Polish and Spanish people buying shots for me when it came on.

And more recently...when I was in Finland this March I went to this club in Levi and my friend said he was going to the bathroom...he comes back and soon the DJ says, "We have a weird request here...For Kevin, your favorite song...I sincerely hope this isn't true." and starts playing that goddamned song.

Old
08-02-2012, 07:13 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post

RS = Runs Scored
RA = Runs Allowed

Coupled with the Pirates basically having everything from injuries to one run game wins going hugely in their favor thus far, you have to worry that the record will fall to the stats eventually and some of these things going right will have to fall off at some point. And that the unbelievably bad luck compared to statistics that has hurt St. Louis will conversely also have to reverse.
You can't really use season totals since we were negative in runs scored the first two months of the season.. Since may 25th we've had one of, if not the best record in baseball, while being near the tops in homeruns and runs scored.

Compile June and July totals and you'll have a better idea.

Old
08-02-2012, 07:51 AM
sniugneP

Yeah, plus we got Snider and Sanchez. Our bench is better without McGehee and Sutton. I'm not really concerned about hitting.

I'm more concerned about McDonald. He has to bounce back big time.

Old
08-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Steve Durbano

Quote:

RS = Runs Scored
RA = Runs Allowed

And an asteroid might hit the earth before the season ends too.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Durbano View Post
And an asteroid might hit the earth before the season ends too.
Umm, asteroids hit earth daily, hundreds of them.

In any event the point regarding the Cardinals certainly is true. They should win more in coming months given the stats.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
And given the most recent trend with the Pirates, so could the Pirates.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Steve Durbano

Quote:
Umm, asteroids hit earth daily, hundreds of them.

In any event the point regarding the Cardinals certainly is true. They should win more in coming months given the stats.
Look, we all know in the back of our minds that this team isn't a serious World Series contender. Cant we just enjoy the ride?

Old
08-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

I have zero delusion of the Pirates winning the World Series this year. I do, however, have every reason to believe that they are a playoff team. Especially at 16 games over .500.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Illinest

Quote:

RS = Runs Scored
RA = Runs Allowed

The Pirates' results don't have to do anything. The Pirates have the same chance of being lucky in the second half that they had in the first half.

At any rate - until we see what kind of an impact Snider and Sanchez and Rodriguez have we can't assume that the run differential will be the same. I think that the team has been improved by a good bit. I really like the Snider acquisition.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Not to mention their catcher will be suspended.
He's actually on the 7 day DL so even though his suspension would be over after game Friday's game he won't be playing at all this weekend.

They've done just fine without Votto so far though.

08-02-2012, 12:01 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Durbano View Post
Look, we all know in the back of our minds that this team isn't a serious World Series contender. Cant we just enjoy the ride?
I agree with this. We are winning close games and finding ways to fight back in games. It's very fun right now to watch their emotion and passion on the field. It's also very fun to see Cutch and AJ take this team on their back and get us somewhere we haven't been for a VERY long time. Let's just kick back and ride the wave.

If we get into the postseason, teams will exploit our weaknesses. Throw around Cutch and run all over our catchers. Plus our hitters will have to go up against some of the best pitching out there. We would need one hell of a lucky run to make it to the WS. Never impossible (LA Kings), but not likely.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:14 PM
regard

I get the feeling Jaded is waiting to show up and say "I told you so" regardless of the outcome to this season. Its just a matter of when the season is over.

Whatever, in the meantime watching Pirates baseball is alot of fun right now.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:28 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
I get the feeling Jaded is waiting to show up and say "I told you so" regardless of the outcome to this season. Its just a matter of when the season is over.

I'm not trying to stick up for either side, but I don't think it matters. We are a team on the rise. These 1-2 run games could have gone either way. I just think now, we know our problems and can really approach them in the offseason to get a good solid team. We have AJ/Wandy and that is a great 1/2 punch for our team.

Now if management is finally on board, we go forward each year. Some will be better than the others. It's the nature of the game.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post

Heh. No doubt this is true.

I do like these players, well except for our shortstop and catcher who can outhit a pitcher, it is just my dislike for the ownership I can not get by.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Dylonus

All tickets bought between now and tomorrow at 11:59 PM for any home game for the rest of the regular season are on sale. All tickets have no service fees of any kind.

Want a plan a game to go to together my brothers?

Old
08-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
I have zero delusion of the Pirates winning the World Series this year. I do, however, have every reason to believe that they are a playoff team. Especially at 16 games over .500.
This.

Winning has been nice, it's kept Jaded largely on the sidelines the past month.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
08-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
All the way up to July 30th, Philadelphia's asking price on Hunter Pence for Pirates was Starling Marte, Lincoln and more. Pretty pricey.
Quote:
Rob Biertempfel ‏@BiertempfelTrib
Another trade offer #Pirates considered and rejected on deadline day: Arizona proposed SS Stephen Drew for two minor leaguers at mid- to lower-levels of system -- and NOT either Taillon or Heredia.
Why wouldn't the Pirates do any of those trades?

Starling Marte could have been traded, and we traded Lincoln for an OF with question marks, I don't think the "and more" would have been a significant piece. Hunter Pence is a solid outfielder.

We clearly need an upgrade at SS, we were offered Drew for 2 mid to low ranked prospects (A and AA maybe) and we declined?

Yeah, the Pirates want to win.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

vCash: 50
The Drew non-trade makes no sense. But I'm fine with not getting Pence. He's only slightly better than Garrett Jones this year. That's not worth Marte+Lincoln.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Steve Durbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I agree with this. We are winning close games and finding ways to fight back in games. It's very fun right now to watch their emotion and passion on the field. It's also very fun to see Cutch and AJ take this team on their back and get us somewhere we haven't been for a VERY long time. Let's just kick back and ride the wave.

If we get into the postseason, teams will exploit our weaknesses. Throw around Cutch and run all over our catchers. Plus our hitters will have to go up against some of the best pitching out there. We would need one hell of a lucky run to make it to the WS. Never impossible (LA Kings), but not likely.
I think getting to the one game Wildcard playoff would feel like Game 7 of the WS around the Buc Nation. I'd have that game 7 Wings/Pens feeling without a doubt.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Oxide

vCash: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Why wouldn't the Pirates do any of those trades?

Starling Marte could have been traded, and we traded Lincoln for an OF with question marks, I don't think the "and more" would have been a significant piece. Hunter Pence is a solid outfielder.

We clearly need an upgrade at SS, we were offered Drew for 2 mid to low ranked prospects (A and AA maybe) and we declined?

Yeah, the Pirates want to win.
Arizona probably wanted one of Hanson or Polanco and even if we did get Drew our lineup would have been heavy with lefties.
Also a year and a half of a aging Hunter Pence isn't worth Marte and Lincoln.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
The Drew non-trade makes no sense. But I'm fine with not getting Pence. He's only slightly better than Garrett Jones this year. That's not worth Marte+Lincoln.
Yeah, this year, but not overall. If we acquired Pence, the Pirates would have likely kept him beyond this season. If the Pirates are in win now mode, I think they should have made that trade for Pence, IMO. Pence helps now, Marte isn't even a solid, full time MLB player yet, and with Presley, McCutchen, Tabata and Bell, I think it makes Marte expendable, especially when bringing in another solid OF.

Drew is having a down season, but he's still a better shortstop than Barmes, Pirates management really do not care if they win, do they?

Closed Thread