HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Offseason Armchair GM Thread Part IIX (aka VIII)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-15-2012, 10:02 PM
  #951
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,470
vCash: 500
Sheppard isn't signed either. Are they gonna do a try out for him first?

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:03 PM
  #952
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,470
vCash: 500
‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Wayne Simmonds has agreed to 6 year extension with PHI. Not sure on precise AAV but hearing it's around $4M per year.

Dayuuuuuuum, good for Philly.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:05 PM
  #953
slocal
Global Moderator
Grübermeister
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Osos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Sheppard isn't signed either. Are they gonna do a try out for him first?
Why oh why do I keep forgetting about the Sheppard. I don't get it. Why do players hold out after the arbitration period has passed? These guys aren't Doughty. Do they hope to get a better contract from SJ or are waiting for a release?


Wow, that's a decent price for Simmonds. I'm still scared of lengths like that, though.

__________________

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:11 PM
  #954
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,470
vCash: 500
I'm okay with 6 years if the guy is 24 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Why oh why do I keep forgetting about the Sheppard. I don't get it. Why do players hold out after the arbitration period has passed? These guys aren't Doughty. Do they hope to get a better contract from SJ or are waiting for a release?
They have agents. Maybe they want 2-3 year deals? I don't think they'll sign Sheppard until they see him in action. I believe DW said something like that in an interview.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:13 PM
  #955
slocal
Global Moderator
Grübermeister
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Osos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,181
vCash: 500
Yeah, I'm not an ageist when thinking about term length. I'm just not too keen on giving someone such a long term deal unless they're a super talent.

slocal is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:24 PM
  #956
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,214
vCash: 567
Am I then only one who thinks that's a bad contract? I mean, the Habs got Pacioretty for only $.5M more over the same term.

Try to wrap your head around Simmonds being paid more than Giroux.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:25 PM
  #957
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Wayne Simmonds has agreed to 6 year extension with PHI. Not sure on precise AAV but hearing it's around $4M per year.

Dayuuuuuuum, good for Philly.
He gonna get tradddded.

Rickety Cricket is online now  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:27 PM
  #958
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Am I then only one who thinks that's a bad contract? I mean, the Habs got Pacioretty for only $.5M more over the same term.
It's a good contract. MaxPac's contract is great.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:32 PM
  #959
WTFetus
Moderator
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Am I then only one who thinks that's a bad contract? I mean, the Habs got Pacioretty for only $.5M more over the same term.
Just because Pacioretty has a great contract, it doesn't mean that Simmonds' contract is bad. They bought 5 UFA years; a team would have severely overpaid if he got to FA next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Try to wrap your head around Simmonds being paid more than Giroux.
And Clowe gets paid more than Couture. Doesn't really mean anything.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:53 PM
  #960
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,214
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Just because Pacioretty has a great contract, it doesn't mean that Simmonds' contract is bad. They bought 5 UFA years; a team would have severely overpaid if he got to FA next year.



And Clowe gets paid more than Couture. Doesn't really mean anything.
I don't know what everyone's man-crush on Simmonds is about. He's a nice player, but he's not a top-6 guy and you don't pay tweeners $4M.

As for Clowe/Couture, that's because the age difference is so severe. Simmonds and Giroux are essentially the same age.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:56 PM
  #961
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
He's a nice player, but he's not a top-6 guy
...yet. Though anyone who can score 28 goals is a 2nd liner in my eyes.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 10:58 PM
  #962
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,214
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
...yet. Though anyone who can score 28 goals is a 2nd liner in my eyes.
Rode the percentages, played in an insanely offensive system, had great linemates, and #1PP time. No defensive ability, not a good possession player. He's not a 2nd liner in my eyes.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 11:04 PM
  #963
WTFetus
Moderator
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Rode the percentages, played in an insanely offensive system, had great linemates, and #1PP time. No defensive ability, not a good possession player. He's not a 2nd liner in my eyes.
He's not a 2nd liner yet. They bought a ton of UFA years though. Considering players like Jones and Hudler got 4 million this off-season, locking Simmonds up for that amount for the next 6 years doesn't sound too bad to me.

Not to mention he'll still play in an offensive system, have great linemates, and get #1PP time, which should get him 20+ goals. 20+ goals for 4 million is pretty good.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 11:11 PM
  #964
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Rode the percentages, played in an insanely offensive system, had great linemates, and #1PP time. No defensive ability, not a good possession player. He's not a 2nd liner in my eyes.
2nd leading goal scorer with only four 20 goal scorers on the team.

MaxPac is terribly one dimensional too.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 11:46 PM
  #965
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking
 
hohosaregood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,823
vCash: 500
I don't like the contract either, don't really think he's done enough to justify it but that's what Philly does. They gamble a lot on their contracts actually. Can someone explain to me Giroux's contract?

hohosaregood is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 11:48 PM
  #966
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
I don't like the contract either, don't really think he's done enough to justify it but that's what Philly does. They gamble a lot on their contracts actually. Can someone explain to me Giroux's contract?
He signed his contract extension within a month of his breakout 70+pt season. Although his 09-10 playoff performance can be considered as his breakout.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 11:54 PM
  #967
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,214
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
He's not a 2nd liner yet. They bought a ton of UFA years though. Considering players like Jones and Hudler got 4 million this off-season, locking Simmonds up for that amount for the next 6 years doesn't sound too bad to me.

Not to mention he'll still play in an offensive system, have great linemates, and get #1PP time, which should get him 20+ goals. 20+ goals for 4 million is pretty good.
I'm sure it will be a decent contract on the Flyers, but I personally wouldn't take it on the Sharks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
2nd leading goal scorer with only four 20 goal scorers on the team.

MaxPac is terribly one dimensional too.
Pacioretty scored 33 goals with David Desharnais (who's good in his own right, but no Danny Briere or Claude Giroux on the PP). Plus, Simmonds only scored 17 even strength goals. Pacioretty score 29 even strength goals. Pacioretty is a much better scorer than Simmonds, albeit one-dimensional too, I agree.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 12:51 AM
  #968
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Yeah, I'm not an ageist when thinking about term length. I'm just not too keen on giving someone such a long term deal unless they're a super talent.
I have no problem signing high effort guys like him long term. It's the really talented enigma's players that scare me long term. Anyone remember Yashin?

NWShark* is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 12:59 AM
  #969
Lebanezer
Registered User
 
Lebanezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 500
Good contract I suppose. I guess this means the classy folks in Philly will have to throw ORGANIC yellow bunched musa balbisiana at him on his future shoot out attempts. You know, now that he's a 1%'er. This offseason is so boring I'm pulling egregious anecdotes from other teams shame-boxes. Something happen!!! I mean even a lockout would be interesting, spice it up a bit.

Lebanezer is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 01:01 AM
  #970
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,470
vCash: 500
That happened in Ontario and was thrown by a Canadian. Hater.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 01:03 AM
  #971
WTFetus
Moderator
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
I mean even a lockout would be interesting, spice it up a bit.
A lock-out would probably be better for students. Extra 3 hours of studying.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 01:07 AM
  #972
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin
 
Hatrick Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: With JR
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
I think he got overpaid. To me he is a very good 3rd liner, but not a top 6 foward. He may be able to fill in from time to time, but I don't think he has the skills to be a top 6 player.

Hatrick Marleau is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 01:07 AM
  #973
Lebanezer
Registered User
 
Lebanezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
That happened in Ontario and was thrown by a Canadian. Hater.
Well they were just sharing the weath that is ontario's fruit bulk import bounty (blown away by mean Canadian). And ive been to games I both locals, and let me say this, no 70 year old Ontario woman screamed at me with the same venomous invective as the Philly wench to my left (muchos f-bombs, was at the game Richards scored in ot just a micro-second after time was up, Clowie won it in the shoot out. Never took more abuse at a sporting event and I was only in a sharks polo shirt.)

BTW, they loved my 2010 Giants World Series hat.

Lebanezer is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 01:09 AM
  #974
Lebanezer
Registered User
 
Lebanezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
A lock-out would probably be better for students. Extra 3 hours of studying.
It's good for us east coasters with real lives too - FML 10:30pm start times.

Lebanezer is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 07:38 AM
  #975
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 12,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
A lock-out would probably be better for students. Extra 3 hours of studying.
Students would still find ways to waste those 3 hours though.

Mafoofoo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.