HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A lot of Balej-hoo about nothing ?

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Sam I Am

vCash: 500
A lot of Balej-hoo about nothing ?

I saw Balej play several times in Hamilton last year and he really looked good. Way better than Lundmark is capable of showing IMO. At times, it looked as if Balej was toying with the opposition--he was that good.

But Balej has always struck me as an all-or-nothing type of player--as pure skill players often are. The player he reminds me of more than anybody is Russ Courtnall--same physique, same skill-set.--for those old enough to remember. Sure Courtnall had a career in the bigs, but he was always less than the sum of his parts.

This year, seven goals all seaon long. Yikes. If I was a Ranger fan, I'd definitely start to worry...especially when I see Balej's name in the second spot on the NHL depth chart.

(http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com...hchart.cgi?NYR)

Old
01-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Fletch

He toyed with the oppopsition...

in the playoffs too...you can't do that in the NHL...at least he cannot because he's just not an elite talent.

Old
01-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Considering the Pack's style of play, and their leading scorer only has 11 goals, I wouldn't be so worried. He's been struggling a bit, but I don't think it's time to sound the alarm and jump ship.

Old
01-06-2005, 04:43 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

The fact that Balej is 2nd on the depth chart for RWs is an indication of just how little talent in the organization is currently ready for NHL play. It's going to take several years before the damage done to this organization begins to fade and by then Balej will either have learned how to maximize his talent on the ice or will be overtaken by someone else.

Doing a total rebuild takes lots and lots of time. Freaking out now because one prospect is not having a stellar season in the AHL is jumping the gun. There will be a lot more pain for fans to endure before things even begin to get better.

Old
01-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
The fact that Balej is 2nd on the depth chart for RWs is an indication of just how little talent in the organization is currently ready for NHL play. It's going to take several years before the damage done to this organization begins to fade and by then Balej will either have learned how to maximize his talent on the ice or will be overtaken by someone else.

Doing a total rebuild takes lots and lots of time. Freaking out now because one prospect is not having a stellar season in the AHL is jumping the gun. There will be a lot more pain for fans to endure before things even begin to get better.
This is exactly what I am thinking too. Be prepared for much short-term pain. We'll see three or four years from now about that long-term gain...

Old
01-07-2005, 09:39 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
This is exactly what I am thinking too. Be prepared for much short-term pain. We'll see three or four years from now about that long-term gain...
Short term pain? We've had 7 years of it. I can wait a bit longer.

Old
01-07-2005, 09:52 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Its worth the pain to have a playoff team for many years in the future. Plus the pain wont be as bad as watching a team of star players underachieving almost every game of the season and miss the playoffs.

Old
01-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Its worth the pain to have a playoff team for many years in the future. Plus the pain wont be as bad as watching a team of star players underachieving almost every game of the season and miss the playoffs.
Agreed. Although the Rags may sink further in the standings before things look up.

Two star players remain on the roster who are currently setting new standards in underachievement. Jagr and Holik should be moved even though it is clear that the Rangers will have to eat large parts of their salaries. (I think that the Caps are helping out in Jagr's case). Then Ranger management can try out a strategy that is completely foreign to them--patience.

Old
01-07-2005, 02:51 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Agreed. Although the Rags may sink further in the standings before things look up.

Two star players remain on the roster who are currently setting new standards in underachievement. Jagr and Holik should be moved even though it is clear that the Rangers will have to eat large parts of their salaries. (I think that the Caps are helping out in Jagr's case). Then Ranger management can try out a strategy that is completely foreign to them--patience.

Dont forget Nylander who I think was coming off an injury season for him. He is a good playmaker but a bit soft but very skilled.

Old
01-07-2005, 04:09 PM
in the hall

Quote:
I saw Balej play several times in Hamilton last year and he really looked good. Way better than Lundmark is capable of showing IMO. At times, it looked as if Balej was toying with the opposition--he was that good.

But Balej has always struck me as an all-or-nothing type of player--as pure skill players often are. The player he reminds me of more than anybody is Russ Courtnall--same physique, same skill-set.--for those old enough to remember. Sure Courtnall had a career in the bigs, but he was always less than the sum of his parts.

This year, seven goals all seaon long. Yikes. If I was a Ranger fan, I'd definitely start to worry...especially when I see Balej's name in the second spot on the NHL depth chart.

now after seeing how great Balej was, why the hell would you be concerned when you know he's better then his numbers

it's because you're happy out of bitterness and want to rub it in

you did not even state one negative and you have not seen him play this season, yet you're telling us to be concerned this after seeing him dominate the same competition

Old
01-07-2005, 08:37 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:

Thanks Sam....after this post Balej went nuts in the last game. 2G and 2A.

Old
01-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Sam I Am

It hardly surprises me--as I said, he can dominate by virtue of his skill alone. Tell will tell whether his flash is in the pan....

Old
01-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
now after seeing how great Balej was, why the hell would you be concerned when you know he's better then his numbers

it's because you're happy out of bitterness and want to rub it in

you did not even state one negative and you have not seen him play this season, yet you're telling us to be concerned this after seeing him dominate the same competition
Take a pill. I asked about how he's been playing because I no longer have the opportunity to see him play. Frankly, I hope he works out. He's an entertaining player to watch...Lord knows the league could use more players with some style.

Old
01-13-2005, 03:36 PM
burner10115

Quote:
Take a pill. I asked about how he's been playing because I no longer have the opportunity to see him play. Frankly, I hope he works out. He's an entertaining player to watch...Lord knows the league could use more players with some style.
Xactly. Either way he turns out, it should be very entertaining.

Old
01-13-2005, 07:14 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I think he has refined his game under McGill

Quote:

and all goal scorers go through what he is going through. The real question is whether his game has slid or has he added to his game. He has worked hard to get the defensive side of his game in order. Sometimes the offense suffers when you try to become a better all round player. Plus, he really doesn't belong in the AHL anymore.

Old
01-13-2005, 07:52 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:

You can't go all young kids. You need some verteran established NHL players. Now it can be argued that Holik, Jagr, Kasparitis, Nylander and Poti aren't the group of verterans you want leading a young team, but that's a different argument.

Closed Thread