HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rick Nash+S.Delisle+cond. 3rd to NYR for Dubinsky+Anisimov+Erixon+2013 1st (Part III)

Old
07-30-2012, 10:49 AM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Gaborik dynamic with Nash and Kreider on the team will be interesting. Gaborik's $7.5M in 13-14 could become an issue off the ice depending upon where and how the cap is set with McDonagh,Stepan, Hagelin and Sauer(depending on his health)up for new contracts next summer. Stepan's price will only increase playing with Gaborik or Kreider or Nash. The combined cap hit for McDonagh.Stepan, Hagelin and Sauer is $4.3M counting Mac's bonuses. That will be Mac's cap hit in his next contract. 5 years/$20M.
As long as the cap stays the same, we will likely have at least 10 mill available next season to resign Stepan McDonagh, Hagelin and Sauer. Probably more pending Delzotto's contract and Drury's buyout off the Cap.

Should we be able to resign all 4 of them and remain cap compliant, the two people who we would probably need to worry about are Girardi, and Kreider, since Gaborik, Lundqvist, and Callahan's cap hit are likely to stay the same at their age and current price.

As long as we are cap compliant for the 2013 - 2014 regular season, I think there is a good chance we can keep all of our players during the 2013 - 2014 season. Or at worst let Gaborik go and resign 3/4 of them.

If the New CBA really lowers the Cap, then it will also lower a players average $$ worth in the league so we should still be ok.

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
I just wonder if Nash's weakness for finding open ice will not mesh well with Stepan.

Stepan seems to do best when he plays with a guy like Gaborik who can find the open spot on the ice, and position himself for a one timer. Stepan's strength is then getting a puck to the open man for that shot.

I wonder if Nash would even do well with a guy like boyle, who can just give Nash the puck let him do his thing, and crash the net?
The thing is, Nash is fantastic around the net. Of all the games I've watched over his career, his best nights have been when he's just powering to the goal and not trying to be fancy or pretty. If he plays that game, he should open up plenty of space for the guys on his line. Nash will find the net just like he always has.

He fits that role with Stepan, and he can play that role with Richards and Gaborik if he can learn to trust his teammates to carry the puck. That's always been an issue for him.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The thing is, Nash is fantastic around the net. Of all the games I've watched over his career, his best nights have been when he's just powering to the goal and not trying to be fancy or pretty. If he plays that game, he should open up plenty of space for the guys on his line. Nash will find the net just like he always has.

He fits that role with Stepan, and he can play that role with Richards and Gaborik if he can learn to trust his teammates to carry the puck. That's always been an issue for him.
I can see why he had trust issues in Columbus, it will take some adjustments but I think he'll learn to use and rely on his line mates a lot more here. This might be what some people are hinting at when they say he still has a little "juniors" in his game. Hopefully he can just relax a bit and take advantage of being on a better team.

Hoping he takes it to the net a lot, and uses his skill to create space when he needs to. We've all seen his goal against Phoenix where he dangles past two defenders and undresses the goalie, he can do it. I just don't think he will have to do that here.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Im partial to a Richards/Gaborik and Stepan/Nash tandem as well.

Eventually, I think Kreider winds up on the left with Richards and Gaborik most nights. Hagelin filled that role admirably last season with his speed and ability to hound the puck on the forecheck. Kreider possesses speed as well, but perhaps more importantly, he is bigger and stronger than Hagelin which should help create more space. He also has higher offensive upside.

I really like the prospects of a Nash - Stepan - Callahan line following that up. Hagelin shifts to the 3rd line most nights playing with Boyle and Pyatt.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:20 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
As long as the cap stays the same, we will likely have at least 10 mill available next season to resign Stepan McDonagh, Hagelin and Sauer. Probably more pending Delzotto's contract and Drury's buyout off the Cap.

Should we be able to resign all 4 of them and remain cap compliant, the two people who we would probably need to worry about are Girardi, and Kreider, since Gaborik, Lundqvist, and Callahan's cap hit are likely to stay the same at their age and current price.

As long as we are cap compliant for the 2013 - 2014 regular season, I think there is a good chance we can keep all of our players during the 2013 - 2014 season. Or at worst let Gaborik go and resign 3/4 of them.

If the New CBA really lowers the Cap, then it will also lower a players average $$ worth in the league so we should still be ok.
It will cost more than $10M to re-sign those 4 players next summer. Assuming Sauer returns and remains healthy. The other 3 players have good seasons and are healthy.

The Rangers have $51.2M committed for 13-14 which doesn't include Del Zotto. The cap will need to stay at $70.2M or the Rangers will need to make someone a cap casualty for 13-14.

Callahan will command more dollars than $4.25M AAV.

The players aren't accepting another rollback in salaries.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Faltorvo

I come in pieces.

Just doing a bit of research for my pooly draft.

I'm curious on who you think Nash and Calli play with this year.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:31 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
I come in pieces.

Once everyone is playing, I think it will be

Nash - Richards - Gabby
Cally - Stepan - Kreider

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Rangerfan4life90

I would use
Nash-Richards-Cally
Kredier-Stepan-Gaborik

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

When the Rangers went looking for a Center to play with Gaborik they specified they were looking for a Lefty. Gabby being a Left handed Shot on the the Right Wing. Richie the Left handed Center.

Guessing the same could apply here with Nash. Start the season on the right side while Gaborik is out. Left handed Nash, gettinmg fed by the Left handed Richards. Then upon Gaboriks return move him to the left wall to play with the Right handed Stepan. Best scoring threats getting fed more naturally on the forehand by thier respective centers... Make sense?

Like rolling out 2 real solid lines anyways. Keeps the opposition guessing on how to counter. With the depth I think this team would benefit better that way.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:14 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
I come in pieces.

No one really knows with Torts.

It won't be a constant, I will guarantee that.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:46 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
No one really knows with Torts.

It won't be a constant, I will guarantee that.
If it is, something really really special is going on.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 04:40 AM
Ola

e
Quote:
I come in pieces.

I think its very hard to tell. A few pieces needs to fall into place for everything to work -- and right now I doubt anyone knows what those pieces are.

1. We don't have a transition play in NY. We get the puck deep and go after it without a plan. You need to be really fast in on the forecheck for that to work. Carl Hagelin greatly helped Brad Richards in this sense, because when he and Brad played together -- Hags chased down pucks and Brad could play with it more.

Hagelin did not score in the PO's, but playing him with Richards is a great use of assets.

2. If Hagelin plays with Richards, Nash will either have to play at RW or don't play with Richards.

We already have Cally and Gabby at RW. Of course it makes more sense to play Nash in the long run at LW...

I think you can bank on that we will see;
Nash-Richards-Cally,
early on. Callahan when distrubuting the puck could be a problem on that line. When we got the puck and has Nash and Richards on the ice, we don't want to give it away. Cally looses alot of pucks (while winning back his fair share too). Its possible that it will make more sense to have a little smarter player there...

Hagelin-Stepan-Gabby (when healthy) is the logical choice after that. Pyatt could play in Gabby's position until he is healthy.

Kreider-Boyle-Pyatt is a big tough line that makes slot of sense. Before Gabby is healthy, Asham is not a bad option with Boyle.

Rupp-Halpern-Ashaham with Haley, or a wildcard possibly playing over Haley, before Gabby is healthy.

But when things aren't working, Torts will change things up. He will go back to Gabby with Richards, and maybe play all three on the same line for shorter stretches. My guess is also that Hagelin could be more missed next to Richards than what people might expect -- and especially during the "boring" month's of the season, December-February -- a player like Richards will benefit from having a nut like Hagelin next to him who every single shift is hunting down pucks. Stepan and Nash are a decent fit together.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
I'd even try a Kreider-Richards-Nash, 2 huge wings.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:07 AM
darko

Quote:
It will cost more than $10M to re-sign those 4 players next summer. Assuming Sauer returns and remains healthy. The other 3 players have good seasons and are healthy.

The Rangers have $51.2M committed for 13-14 which doesn't include Del Zotto. The cap will need to stay at $70.2M or the Rangers will need to make someone a cap casualty for 13-14.

And yet people on here wanted to give Doan (35+) a 3 year contract.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:09 AM
darko

Kreider - Richards - Gaborik
Nash - Stepan - Callahan

No idea why people are putting Callahan on 3rd line. Giving Hagelin top-6 PT over Callahan makes zero sense to me.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:46 AM
petejudge

Nash - Richards - Callahan
Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik
Hagelin - Boyle - Pyatt

top line works with nash and richards as the primary scorers and callahan being the guy to work for pucks, forecheck, make the right passes when needed. i think this line would be deadly.

kreider and gaborik on the 2nd line are obviously very different players but i think compliment each other well. kreider works hard and can get pucks in the dirty areas and move them out to stepan and gaborik while also having the sense to score a bunch too.

3rd line is less desirable for me but the whole line works their ***** off and could score a few goals, as long as boyle doesn't have as disastrous a season as he did last year

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Mr. Nash is a gentleman

Quote:
Dear Blue Jacket Fans,

Thank you for the unwavering support you have shown me over the past nine seasons.

I am so fortunate to have had the chance to call Columbus home and to say proudly that I am from the Buckeye State.

Thanks for the memories. Thanks for everything.

Rick Nash

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
Mr. Nash is a gentleman

Sounds like his heart is still in Columbus and he is not fully committed to the Rangers.

I don't believe that, but I wanted to be the first to say it.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Sounds like his heart is still in Columbus and he is not fully committed to the Rangers.

I don't believe that, but I wanted to be the first to say it.
Quick, trade him back! And send Kreider to Boston while we're at it!

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Nich

Without Gabby

Hags - Richie - Nash
Kreider - Step - Cally
??? - Boyle - Pyatt
Rupp - Halpern - Asham

With Gabby

Nash - Richie - Gabby
Kreider - Step - Cally
Hags - Boyle - Pyatt
Rupp - Halpern - Asham

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:27 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Once everyone is playing, I think it will be

Nash - Richards - Gabby
Cally - Stepan - Kreider
Why why both Kreider and Callahan play the off wing, when each is more comfortable in their natural position?

IMO, when Gaborik gets back, he plays next to Stepan. They had chemistry, people forget that even when Richards and Gaborik had success together, Tortorella still was satisfied with that pairing. Nash will be paired with Richards, and Stepan and Gaborik will be the other line. Tortorella will mix and match the other wings on those lines. I think Kreider ends up with Stepan and Gaborik.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
Mr. Nash is a gentleman

That is really awesome.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:30 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
I think this is what the lines will look like:

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan
Rupp-Halpern-Asham

Gives us two first lines, pretty much - if Kreider can put up 25ish goals and be a dangerous player, it'll make the top-6 that much more dangerous. A 40-goal threat on each, a playmaking center on each line, and a speedster on each. Great balance.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
I come in pieces.

I would say there is a good chance, C is Richards and Stepan, RW is Gaborik and Callahan and LW is Nash and either Kreider or Hagelin......so with that Nash playing LW would likely get Callahan on RW if they decidde to split the scoring between 2 lines and Gabby plays with Stepan

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:40 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

If they need a cap casualty, it HAS TO be Gaborik.

He will be 31-32 and hasn't been able to stay healthy through his career.

They could trade him and get some valuable assets in return.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote