HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Davis Payne, new assistant coach

Old
07-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
Yes that's right.

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Mayor's manor posted a bunch of interesting factoids that try to connect Payne and the Kings:

http://mayorsmanor.com/2012/07/10-ti...sistant-coach/

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
If i am not completely wrong, Kompon was a Blues employee too before joining the Kings.
I think he was the video scout.

Hopefully not a bad sign

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:02 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
If i am not completely wrong, Kompon was a Blues employee too before joining the Kings.
I think he was the video scout.
You are correct, he was a video coach under Joel Quenneville. Now he's back with Joel in Chicago.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:09 PM
MsWoof

Payne was on TSN1050 this morning. I only heard bits and pieces but they asked him about Sutter's personality and one thing stood out. He said Sutter has been in contact with all the players over the summer. I think that's really important because they need to remember that they have a job to do in a couple of months, assuming there won't be a stoppage/lockout. Now compare that to Ron Wilson who barely talked to his players DURING the season! Phil Kessel was asked about Wilson before the firing and commented that they hardly ever talk.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:19 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Payne was on TSN1050 this morning. I only heard bits and pieces but they asked him about Sutter's personality and one thing stood out. He said Sutter has been in contact with all the players over the summer. I think that's really important because they need to remember that they have a job to do in a couple of months, assuming there won't be a stoppage/lockout. Now compare that to Ron Wilson who barely talked to his players DURING the season! Phil Kessel was asked about Wilson before the firing and commented that they hardly ever talk.
Not everyone has the same style.

I'm not a Ron Wilson lover here, but the man has had a very accomplished coaching legacy and reached the cup finals twice. He'll get another coaching gig as well, likely mid-season. The man knows his stuff.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:29 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

DP's an attack attack attack style of PP coach. Our shot totals with the PP will go up and we will always have a body in front of the net while he is running things. He is really good thinking on the fly too. He wasn't ready to take the reigns in Stl but he has come a long ways and is really highly thought of around the game.

Give him a couple of months and watch us go.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:13 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Not everyone has the same style.

I'm not a Ron Wilson lover here, but the man has had a very accomplished coaching legacy and reached the cup finals twice. He'll get another coaching gig as well, likely mid-season. The man knows his stuff.
There's no excuse for not talking to your players. He was a horrible coach in Toronto, arrogant, sarcastic and without a good record to back it up.

Old
07-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
There's no excuse for not talking to your players. He was a horrible coach in Toronto, arrogant, sarcastic and without a good record to back it up.
Not only that, but when was the last time Ron Wilson coached a team that was relevant? His style is antiquated. He had his success in the late 90s, but it ran its course. How can anyone forget his silly antics in Washington when he decided to ice 3 defensemen and 2 forwards. Sure he led them to a Cup run in '98, but that team was a mess shortly thereafter.

And he's reached the Cup Finals once, not twice. The last team he coached that reached the playoffs was the 2007-08 Sharks.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

I think personnel was just as big if not a bigger problem with the Kings PP than tactics.

For years the PP pretty much consisted of lobbing one-timers to Stoll with Handzus, Smyth, Brown whoever standing in front creating screens or trying to bury rebounds on the rare shots that actually hit the net. I understand sometimes you have to give whats taken to you, and that is why Stoll was so open all the time because no one respected him as a finisher on the PP. But even this season by the end of the year they had Richards on the point, and while he was a major improvement over Stoll, he still struggled as many forwards do to play the point on the PP.

I don't see the Kings with a forward who is a natural fit to play the point, perhaps Kopitar could do it but he is at his best on the half wall, no use messing with that. Would like to see the Kings return to having Doughty with either AMart or Slava on the point, with Brown and Carter as the other two forwards with Kopitar up front. Brown should be able to play in front of the net and do some of the sandpaper work while Carter tries to get into open space as he is the Kings best natural finisher.

That leaves you with a second unit with Richards assuming more of a half wall qb (similar to Kopitar) with Williams and probably Penner hopefully creating traffic in front.

I am really curious to see what they do with the PP this season, it truly has nowhere to go but up.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:35 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I wouldn't classify him as horrible in Toronto. If you take away the final month or so he was in toronto, I thought he had made some good progress with the Leafs and had that team in a playoff spot. Hard to argue with his methods since Carlyle came in and the losing kept up as well. I don't expect him to have a good record either, since Toronto was going through a half-ass rebuild at the time and outside of a half-season of Reimer, he never had much in the way of goaltending, not to mention a top line. Toronto has to be one of the worst teams in terms of talent out there right now. You take away Phil Kessel and Lupul and that team is filled with underachievers (Connolly) and third/fourth liners trying to be more than they are (MacArthur).

I'm never going to be a big Ron Wilson supporter, but the man has coached four teams for nearly two decades in the NHL and sits fourth all-time in games coached, and 6th all-time in wins.

If you want to point a finger in Toronto, it should be at Brian Burke. From the Kessel trade to UFA misfires like Komisarek and Connolly, to resignings players for to much (Grabovski), Burke has done little in the way of development for the future. He has yet to permanently fix the goaltending situation, has an average defense, one good line upfront, and a middle of the pack at best prospect pool which is bouyed heavily by Morgan Rielly (who only got selected by the Leafs because of how bad they fell off at the end of the season).

Sorry, not ranting here, just disappointed by the efforts of Burke in Toronto. He's the one who fits your description of Ron Wilson in Toronto.

Old
07-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I hated seeing Richards on the point on the PP because everyone knew he was going to lob these soft wristers on net. He was at his best playing down low on his off-wing, which is where he scored from twice when on the PP.

The Kings have three defensemen (Doughty, Voynov, Martinez) capable of playing the point, but I thought Mitchell was a good addition to the 2nd PP unit since he is capable of getting his shot through from the point and he has a pretty heavy shot that he can let rip. If they go with a forward on the point, I think I prefer Stoll over Richards simply because he has a better shot.

Even Kopitar would rotate up to the point when handling the puck so he might not be a bad option, especially if the Kings go in an umbrella formation with Doughty at the top, Kopitar on the half wall, Richards down low on the right side, and Brown in front of the net and Carter open on the opposite wing or high slot. They should have three shooting options with Carter, Doughty and Kopitar on the top PP unit.

They also have other options to ice on the 2nd PP unit with Penner or Gagne on LW, Stoll, Williams, Voynov and Martinez.

Old
07-30-2012, 04:48 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Credit to Niesy on JftC for unearthing this:

http://www.fluctu8.com/podcast-episo...44-104623.html

Payne's analysis of the Kings was spot on. The entire podcast is worth a listen (Kings material is about halfway in to the podcast).

"LA was a team that, going into these playoffs, as things were shuffling out in the Pacific Division…LA was the one team that a lot of us were nodding our heads, saying, "They’ve got their act together, and this might be a tough first round matchup for anybody," whether it was St. Louis or Vancouver, or however it shuffled out.

They’ve got the ability to play the game in a number of different ways. They’re a big team – they’re a playoff style team. So throw out the regular season. They went through some changes and had to work to this point to kind of find themselves -- a big-bodied team with good goal-tending, a lot of experience on the back-end that can defend well.

If they’re able to keep the game close, it’s a matchup that I think Vancouver is really going to have to get to their A game [to beat]."

"It’s not an 8 versus 1, it’s two Western Conference teams going at it."

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:42 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I wouldn't classify him as horrible in Toronto. If you take away the final month or so he was in toronto, I thought he had made some good progress with the Leafs and had that team in a playoff spot. Hard to argue with his methods since Carlyle came in and the losing kept up as well. I don't expect him to have a good record either, since Toronto was going through a half-ass rebuild at the time and outside of a half-season of Reimer, he never had much in the way of goaltending, not to mention a top line. Toronto has to be one of the worst teams in terms of talent out there right now. You take away Phil Kessel and Lupul and that team is filled with underachievers (Connolly) and third/fourth liners trying to be more than they are (MacArthur).

I'm never going to be a big Ron Wilson supporter, but the man has coached four teams for nearly two decades in the NHL and sits fourth all-time in games coached, and 6th all-time in wins.

If you want to point a finger in Toronto, it should be at Brian Burke. From the Kessel trade to UFA misfires like Komisarek and Connolly, to resignings players for to much (Grabovski), Burke has done little in the way of development for the future. He has yet to permanently fix the goaltending situation, has an average defense, one good line upfront, and a middle of the pack at best prospect pool which is bouyed heavily by Morgan Rielly (who only got selected by the Leafs because of how bad they fell off at the end of the season).

Sorry, not ranting here, just disappointed by the efforts of Burke in Toronto. He's the one who fits your description of Ron Wilson in Toronto.
Burke has been awful but Wilson is just as bad. He came in here with a massive chip on his shoulder and it got worse over the years. His sarcasm and arrogance in combination got him fired. I am so glad he's gone and I hope Burke is next, he is so passive in his trades and with his rules. He and Wilson were the faces of the team and that's problem #1, the players should be the faces. Giving Phaneuf the captaincy because he walked into the dressing room and changed the radio station does not make a good captain yet that's what they did.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

This article somewhat relates to the Kings' personnel behind the bench and whether or not Bernie Nicholls will be returning. If it's up to him, he'll be back.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...medium=twitter
Quote:
Asked about his future, Nicholls said he's under the assumption he'll be back working again with the Kings next season. Assistant coach Jamie Kompon, who didn't have his contract renewed at the end of June and moved on to the Chicago Blackhawks, was notified not long after the season concluded. Nicholls hasn't heard anything from the team one way or another at the point, believing he would have been told already if he wasn't returning.
"It'd be fun to do the same thing that I did last year, but obviously it's up to Darryl and whatever they want," said Nicholls.
"If there's a place for that again this year, I'd love to do it."