HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Super Newb about to play shinny for the first time

Old
07-27-2012, 09:54 PM
SexyJoffreyLupul

vCash: 500
Super Newb about to play shinny for the first time

In my opinion i am awful at everything but the guys at stick and puck tell me my skating and passing isn't that bad and i should play some shinny sometime. I'm probably going to get embarrassed but i've been told that i should pass a lot and keep it simple. Any advice for me? I'm 21, starting skating in january and started practicing hockey skills in june, if that helps.

SexyJoffreyLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Erz8771

I know its cliche but just work hard and have fun. Everything will come with time.

Erz8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Kulluminati

Play hard and have a good time, guys at shinny won't embarrass you. They usually have good sportsmanship and take it easy if someone isn't that great. Just make sure you work on your skating skills, its the most important because at least that way you can keep up with the play (go to fun skates and stuff). The stick skills will come with time from practice (at stick and pucks) and from playing with others. Takes courage to pick up a sport like ice hockey as an adult, good for you.

Cheers!

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:57 PM
opivy
Sauce King

Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
To reiterate what he said, stick skills mean nothing if you can't skate. Eventually they'll take the puck from you if you're standing still even if you're Datsyuk.

Conversely, if you can skate around someone, all you have to do is pull the puck out wide and go.

Skate skate skate

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:01 PM
Ozz

If you can stay up while skating and not lose the puck randomly, you'll be fine out there. Just play "nice" and don't try shoot every time you get the puck, don't rocket passes to people who can't get them, don't get angry at others if they mess up, try not to hurt anyone, etc. Of course you'll probably run across some people who do all of those, but you don't want to lump yourself in with the likes of them.

Playing smart, looking like you care, and being a team player will get you nothing but accolades.

Last edited by Ozz: 07-27-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 03:47 AM
SexyJoffreyLupul

Well i went to a midnight shinny and i think most guys there were either younger than me or older than me but good enough to play college or other leagues. Needless to say, all of them were substantially better than me. Skating is definitely the thing i need to work most on, but it wasn't too bad. Even though they skated circles around me, i still managed to strip one guy of the puck and passed it to a forward going down the wing . It was certainly an enlightening, and exhausting experience. Probably not going to the midnight time again though.

Old
07-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Ozz

It's often a good idea to play up, thus forcing you to hang and adapt more quickly. You can certainly hone your own skills better in such a situation than playing with lesser players. It's tough to work on receiving passes or cycling the puck around when you have a group of guys who can't even control the puck, for instance. Skill produces skill.

And I know it's easy to say a focus on skating will be a priority even if you played w/lesser skilled players, but IMO there's no better way than throwing yourself to the lions so to speak and busting your ass just to not be completely annihilated. Sure you won't immediately be able to keep up but you'll also be able to work on your positioning and hockey sense at a higher level, and work that into your abilities. And you've always got the barometer of other players/teams to see how you're coming along, as opposed to playing with others lesser-skilled guys who may or may not care to really get any better just as long as they're having fun. That's cool and all, but when you're one who WANTS to get better then the mentalities are simply different.

Old
07-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Play up, but not too high up.

I find playing with players a couple tiers above you being optimal. If you're a bottom tier beer leaguer, don't end up playing shinny with ex-Juniors.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:45 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post

And I know it's easy to say a focus on skating will be a priority even if you played w/lesser skilled players, but IMO there's no better way than throwing yourself to the lions so to speak and busting your ass just to not be completely annihilated. Sure you won't immediately be able to keep up but you'll also be able to work on your positioning and hockey sense at a higher level, and work that into your abilities.
I can't skate all that well (although I've had several different coaches tell me that I DO skate well, but lack confidence) and I've only been playing for a few months, but I've found this to be the case too. I can't really keep up if I'm going to just try to skate after the puck, but by being in the place where I'm supposed to be, I find that I can contribute to my team even if I'm not the best or fastest one out there. I usually play LW and I've learned where I should be - and that being there leads to better things than if I were just chasing the puck everywhere like a dog chasing a laser light. Often, that makes up for not being the best or fastest - if I'm at the net, I can grab the rebounds - or if I'm along the boards, I'm a predictable place for someone to pass the puck to get it out of our defensive zone.

I did have a coach tell me after a recent game that by being where I was supposed to be, I was giving my team options and was more likely to get the puck and be able to do something with it by doing that. True...the other team didn't really know where to be, everyone was chasing the puck - so when I was out there, I was wide open for a pass. I was able to take it down the ice, pass it to the C and at least he got a shot off!

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:00 AM
SCBruCrew4

Just remember this. It's better to play against someone who is better than you, than to play someone who is a lot worse than you. It makes you a better player because you have to elevate your game and increase your efforts/work to play. It also teaches you things as well. Just go out and have fun.

BTW, I'm also new to the competitive side of this sport and embrace the many challenges that I will be approaching lol

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:45 AM
SexyJoffreyLupul

You guys make a lot of good points, and i think ultimately playing against bettter players did force me to think position. My only fear is being a useless pylon, and being way too over my head with all these great players. As a beginner who hasn't even taken hockey lessons, it may be a bit too high a level for me. Nonetheless, i actually had fun and plan on going to a shinny once a week, at least to gauge my improvements.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Ozz

Don't be afraid to ask your teammates for some input. If you can't keep up speed-wise, surely they will have suggestions as to where you can best position yourself or to which role you can best be utilized.

My team plays with varying rosters, and sometimes we have a few plugs. It's no problem though, they know their strengths and work on them. Once in a while we get some guys who don't know much of anything, and instead of having them go out for a free-for-all style of game (which usually is useless unless they're a stud who can do it all on his own) we'll talk with them about what they can do on a rush, on a backcheck, etc. For a slow player, joining the rush and creating a passing option is great. When in the zone, perhaps hanging at the crease a la Holstrom and creating a screen might be a great attribute. It's easy to do and surprisingly MANY are afraid to do this. I don't know why, maybe because I'm big and have no problem throwing someone on their ass if they touch me But other than that, there is much to be said about working behind the net. Defenders will almost never cover that, and by leaving yourself open there for a pass you could effectively lead an offensive charge. We do this often, and amazingly teams have trouble defending it. I honestly don't know why we don't do so more often, honestly. Anyway, if you're there you can catch a pass from one of the 'better' players. Chances are the defense will scramble, and if you can jet the puck back up to the guy who passed it to you, or a defender who is pinching to the circles a bit, you'll get a good scoring opportunity. As long as you can be comfortable with your passing under pressure, have a good eye for surveying the zone, and hit your targets, you'll gain a lot of confidence being able to pull that off and basically be responsible for creating a goal or great scoring opportunities. Only good will come from that. If you can't outskate them, outplay them

Old
07-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Kulluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyJoffreyLupul View Post
Well i went to a midnight shinny and i think most guys there were either younger than me or older than me but good enough to play college or other leagues. Needless to say, all of them were substantially better than me. Skating is definitely the thing i need to work most on, but it wasn't too bad. Even though they skated circles around me, i still managed to strip one guy of the puck and passed it to a forward going down the wing . It was certainly an enlightening, and exhausting experience. Probably not going to the midnight time again though.
Midnight shinny tends to bring out the biggest douches haha, but just have initiative and don't get discouraged. My best friend and brother in law are picking up the sport as adults and seemed to get peeved sometimes when they get dangled out by a 12 year old. It's not the kind of sport you just pick up within a month, and something that's hard to wrap your head around is that everyone sucked pretty bad at one point except for most people you're playing with it was a lot earlier in life.

Old
07-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Kulluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyJoffreyLupul View Post
You guys make a lot of good points, and i think ultimately playing against bettter players did force me to think position. My only fear is being a useless pylon, and being way too over my head with all these great players. As a beginner who hasn't even taken hockey lessons, it may be a bit too high a level for me. Nonetheless, i actually had fun and plan on going to a shinny once a week, at least to gauge my improvements.
I'd agree playing against people who are a lot better for you is pretty bad for development. It can help positioning but that's about it, and what is that when you barely touch the puck anyways. Going off my friend and in-law, you should play with people at your level. You should take hockey classes for adults, and join a beer league at the lowest division which is usually designed for people who took up the sport as an adult, this way you see a lot of the puck and can gradually develop skill. Just remember to have fun and develop your skating skills.

Old
07-30-2012, 04:11 PM
rayuelo
Have Wheeling Probs

OP, I was trying to find your location and based on your other posts (many of which are related to the Leafs), my guess is that you're in the GTA?

If you are, and if you're interested in organized pickup games geared towards beginners and low-level players, send me a PM.

I started playing earlier this year, and some of these games have been really fun as well as educational. They tend to have a good mix of bonafide adult beginners, and some experienced skaters, but the better players are encouraged to keep the flow going, as opposed to taking over the game and going coast-to-coast all the time.

rayuelo is offline   Reply With Quote