HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Semin signs with Carolina

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Thee Implication
Gaaaaary Roberts!

vCash: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
NYR
CAR
BOS
PIT
PHI
WAS
FLO

...will make the playoffs! And thats BUF, TBL, OTT, NJD fighting for the last playoff spot. WIN, MON, TOR, and NYI bringing up the rear.

Realistically, Leafs aren't making the playoffs.

Time to sell our UFAs for picks at the deadline. Lupul, MacArthur, Connolly, Lombardi, Bozak, and Steckel gone.

After the deadline:

JVR Kadri Kessel
Kulemin Grabs Frattin
D'Amigo Colborne Ashton
Komarov McClemment Brown

Gunnarsson Phaneuf
Liles Franson
Gardiner Komisarek
Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens
That looks brutal

Old
07-26-2012, 03:13 PM
mooseOAK*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruski View Post
hahaha ****! This is exactly the deal i wanted us to sign him to.

1 year, $7-8mil. Whats the risk? We spend up to the cap?
There is some risk given that Semin is an undesirable teammate but there is no point. One year of Semin solves nothing even if Burke wanted to screw up his dressing room.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:17 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsToronto View Post
That looks brutal
Hopefully it is. Would you rather a 9th place finish? LOL.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Kurtz

Quote:
even if we did trade for luongo, we don't need all of the $9mil in cap space currently available.

you can also bet that there will be 3+mil in salary going the other way in any Luongo deal.
That'd still add 3-4 mil of salary with Franzen unsigned, leaving no room for a 7mil player.

Regardless, Burke doesn't sign Russians, and wings are our strength. Semin made 0 sense. Better question to ask is why Washington, Pitt, Detroit, Jersey,Florida, etc didn't bother pursuing the guy. What was their reason exactly?

Old
07-26-2012, 03:20 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
That looks brutal
It would look better if our 1st line LWer was in the lineup.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:21 PM
deuce457

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
The East never sleeps.With Ward in net, 2 Stalls and now Semin,Carolina steps over To. easy.
The Canes were already better then the leafs last year,

I think this guarantees the leafs will not be better then Carolina this year.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:21 PM
javier

Gee, if Semin is so wonderful, and can make a team soooo much better then why did it take so long to get him signed? And to a one year contract to boot. Did anyone watch the July 1st free agent frenzy show on TSN and the way people were talking about him? So put two and two together and maybe you'll get an idea that this is not a desirable player to have going foward.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:22 PM
HellasLEAF
Bring back Killer

Carolina has absolutely gotten better, make no mistake. Semin's value has always lied in the regular season. It's playoff time you worry about having him on your team. But regular season? The Canes chances of making the playoffs just improved significantly.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:22 PM
samwitch

That'll be a really solid top 6 they've got now. Wow.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Hyperglide

The Sperm bank line. Semin-Staals

Old
07-26-2012, 03:28 PM
calvo2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Contenders? For what? Certainly not the Stanley Cup.
they have a far better chance than the leafs....and i'm a leaf lifer

Old
07-26-2012, 03:29 PM
deuce457

Quote:
That looks brutal
yes it looks brutal, but the guy is right, leafs arent making the playoffs, so at the deadline, deal all the UFAs for picks, Suck and draft Nathan MacKinnon.

Old
BudForLife

We are slowly sinking further down the conference.

Burke's gotta be working on something...this waiting is killing me

Old
Thee Implication
Gaaaaary Roberts!

There is no way Burke is done yet- hopefully

Old
07-26-2012, 03:30 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
That's certainly nothing to sneeze at. Thayve got a good core in the making down there.
Time will tell how they will gel with the new bodies added, but to me, that top 6 doesn't look all the imposing. We have better (and considerably younger) wingers, our #2Cs are comparible, so it's really Eric who tips the scales.

Defensively, they'll have to rely on Ward once again to bail them out as much as he can.

Also, other than the 2 Staals and Skinner, I wouldn't conisder the rest a part of their core.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:31 PM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
Gee, if Semin is so wonderful, and can make a team soooo much better then why did it take so long to get him signed? And to a one year contract to boot. Did anyone watch the July 1st free agent frenzy show on TSN and the way people were talking about him? So put two and two together and maybe you'll get an idea that this is not a desirable player to have going foward.
It really is quite funny that there's such a wide gap between experts assessment of Semin and some people here's isn't it?

I knew this thread would be funny and it hasn't disappointed.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Ruski

Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
There are enough quotes from media and GMs that show they don't like him. That is true. However, there are several players and executives that also say he is a generational tallent and if he just "cared a bit more", could be one of the best in the league. On a one year deal we aren't risking much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
That'd still add 3-4 mil of salary with Franzen unsigned, leaving no room for a 7mil player.

Regardless, Burke doesn't sign Russians, and wings are our strength. Semin made 0 sense. Better question to ask is why Washington, Pitt, Detroit, Jersey,Florida, etc didn't bother pursuing the guy. What was their reason exactly?
Same as my comment above...you are both right that its a risk and he may only show up for half the games and score 25goals, but at the end of the day a one year risk is not that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
There is some risk given that Semin is an undesirable teammate but there is no point. One year of Semin solves nothing even if Burke wanted to screw up his dressing room.
I don't buy into that mumbo jumbo...how is a new guy going to screw up the dressing room full of professionals in one year? These are supposed to be tough, profesional men and I highly doubt they will fall apart emotionally because of one guy.

Finally, i don't know how many of you have played competive sports but in my experience its pretty common that on ANY team you have misfits and people that "don't give a ****". Sometimes its the truth and they really don't care and other times they just don't fit in. Sometimes you go to a new team and you play 5X better, although your skill level didn't really change and vice versa.

All i am saying is that unless we have some kind of a plan to spend the 9mil of cap we have left, plus whatever contracts we are bound to trade away between now and the deadline, i would rather sign a guy like semin to a one year deal and see where it takes me. Whether he is a leader or even a good guy isn't such a big deal on a 1-year term. Think about it....he signs one year in Carolina...he HAS TO realize that this is it for him...if he doesn't perform above expectations this season, he can forget about signing a lucrative long-term deal on ANY NHL team.

I bet he goes all out in this contract year to prove he is worth $7+mil in the future. Watch for a career year, if he gets enough playing time!

Old
07-26-2012, 03:33 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
Quote:
There is no way Burke is done yet- hopefully
I hope he looks at the situation backs off. No sense in trading young assets when you are probably not making the playoffs anyways.

I hope he backs off this year and prepares for a firesale.

Reloading for 2013 makes way more sense for the Leafs going forward.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Thee Implication
Gaaaaary Roberts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
I hope he looks at the situation backs off. No sense in trading young assets when you are probably not making the playoffs anyways.

I hope he backs off this year and prepares for a firesale.

Reloading for 2013 makes way more sense for the Leafs going forward.
This would be I guess the smart option. Its pretty hard for me to look forward to a tank year. I always want to try for the post season

Old
07-26-2012, 03:39 PM
deuce457

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Time will tell how they will gel with the new bodies added, but to me, that top 6 doesn't look all the imposing. We have better (and considerably younger) wingers, our #2Cs are comparible, so it's really Eric who tips the scales.

Defensively, they'll have to rely on Ward once again to bail them out as much as he can.

Also, other than the 2 Staals and Skinner, I wouldn't conisder the rest a part of their core.
Did Carolina not finish ahead of toronto last year?

yes they did

and they have gotten better this year,

the argument is that the the leafs need to do something if they think they are going to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. You can say that NJ has gotten weaker, but I like Montreal more this year, Tampa has tried to improve their goaltending and defence,

I think the leafs are realistically looking at 12th this year if they dont make any changes

Old
07-26-2012, 03:41 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I don't buy into that mumbo jumbo...how is a new guy going to screw up the dressing room full of professionals in one year? These are supposed to be tough, profesional men and I highly doubt they will fall apart emotionally because of one guy.

Finally, i don't know how many of you have played competive sports but in my experience its pretty common that on ANY team you have misfits and people that "don't give a ****". Sometimes its the truth and they really don't care and other times they just don't fit in. Sometimes you go to a new team and you play 5X better, although your skill level didn't really change and vice versa.

All i am saying is that unless we have some kind of a plan to spend the 9mil of cap we have left, plus whatever contracts we are bound to trade away between now and the deadline, i would rather sign a guy like semin to a one year deal and see where it takes me. Whether he is a leader or even a good guy isn't such a big deal on a 1-year term. Think about it....he signs one year in Carolina...he HAS TO realize that this is it for him...if he doesn't perform above expectations this season, he can forget about signing a lucrative long-term deal on ANY NHL team.

I bet he goes all out in this contract year to prove he is worth $7+mil in the future. Watch for a career year, if he gets enough playing time!
The Leafs aren't a veteran team and if Semin was signed anywhere that is the type of team that I guessed that he would sign with.

The NHL has determined that Semin is only worth a one year deal and that does the Leafs no good given Burke's statement that his plan is long term at this time. Maybe if it was true that what some people tell us is a fact being that Burke's job is on the line and he is desperate to save it but I never felt that way and never expected him to try to sign this guy.

Guess we will have the same threads next summer.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:44 PM
AtotheT
Sick, Wicked & Nazty

CAR top-6 looking respectable now after adding Semin and Staal, looking like another playoff spot is getting locked up. Come on Burke!

Old
07-26-2012, 03:46 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce457 View Post

yes they did

the argument is that the the leafs need to do something if they think they are going to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. You can say that NJ has gotten weaker, but I like Montreal more this year, Tampa has tried to improve their goaltending and defence,

I think the leafs are realistically looking at 12th this year if they dont make any changes
Making the playoffs is not the goal, building a contender is. Signing Semin to a 1 year contract would accomplish nothing towards that goal.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:47 PM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:

yes they did

Carolina 82 points
Toronto 80 points

Old
07-26-2012, 03:51 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

yes they did

Seems there are a lot more tankers than they let on.

Go 'Canes Go.

Interesting that the 'Canes had to go that high to land him. Wonder how many teams they had to outbid?

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
Closed Thread