HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wings offseason thread part #whogivesa**** - our team sucks

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2012, 03:49 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 70

Don't get me wrong I really like this kid. I thought scoring his 1st goal in his 1st NHL game was pretty auspicious....but....am I wrong in reading he didn't play a single (regular season) game with the Wings last year? At 5'9 175lbs he is small and looked it when I remember seeing him. Hope he can bulk up and leave a mark in the NHL.

Old
09-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
At 5'9 175lbs he is small and looked it when I remember seeing him. Hope he can bulk up and leave a mark in the NHL.
He's listed as a bit taller than that. 5'11 instead of 5'9 is a big difference.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475193

Old
09-09-2012, 07:19 AM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post

Don't get me wrong I really like this kid. I thought scoring his 1st goal in his 1st NHL game was pretty auspicious....but....am I wrong in reading he didn't play a single (regular season) game with the Wings last year? At 5'9 175lbs he is small and looked it when I remember seeing him. Hope he can bulk up and leave a mark in the NHL.
Each time he got a callup last year, the guy who he was going to cover for was fit enough to play.

Did you see him at the WC this year? He's NHL-ready, there is no doubt in my mind about that. There's just a logjam of bottom 6 forwards this year and he isn't ready for a top 6 role yet.

Old
09-10-2012, 01:52 PM
cnot19

I'd really like to see Tatar force himself into the lineup this year. Preferably getting some top line minutes and PP time.

Old
09-10-2012, 02:28 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnot19 View Post
I'd really like to see Tatar force himself into the lineup this year. Preferably getting some top line minutes and PP time.
Dream on.

Old
09-10-2012, 02:35 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnot19 View Post
With garbage like Sammy, Cleary and Bert still on the team................never gonna happen.

Old
09-10-2012, 02:36 PM
cnot19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
With garbage like Sammy, Cleary and Bert still on the team................never gonna happen.

Agreed, but one can only hope.

Old
09-11-2012, 04:09 PM
TatarTangle

Tatar has been my favorite prospect for some time now. At this point I hope Holland trades him to a team that can use him on their NHL roster because he has outstayed his welcome in Grand Rapids and he'll be buried there for another 3 years. If they lose the whole season I guess it doesn't matter, but the point remains the same.

Old
09-11-2012, 04:46 PM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Okay, I'll be the first to say it....

How the **** can you pass on Rozsival @ $2m for 1 year? Oh no...let's offer Colaiacovo a multi-year deal for $2.5m, because he's exactally the type of player we don't need.

Has this team become THAT unappealing to play for, or is Holland just losing it?
That was pretty much my first thought as well. Starting to wonder if Holland's heart is still in the game. It sure seems like his head isn't.

Old
09-11-2012, 05:00 PM
fimoknete

Quote:

How the **** can you pass on Rozsival @ $2m for 1 year? Oh no...let's offer Colaiacovo a multi-year deal for $2.5m, because he's exactally the type of player we don't need.

Has this team become THAT unappealing to play for, or is Holland just losing it?
i would say its both. the core of the team is over 30 or even in their late 30th and after the core are only mediocre player. no obvious top6 talent in the pipe. its obvious that the team is no longer a contender and done in 3 years when no major changes will come. having a passive gm like kenny doesnt help at all.
so i can see why nobody wants to come to detroit for a hometown discount.

finally the criticism is piling up. i got the impression that i am the only one who is seeing the nothing doing ken holland as a problem.

but i am quite sure that some people here can explain why it is a management masterpiece to pass on roszival or other good player because the genious ken holland did so.

Old
09-11-2012, 06:16 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Would love to know what Quincey's logic is for this.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=641203

Quote:
Goalie Jimmy Howard and forwards Darren Helm and Gustav Nyquist rejoined the majority of their teammates on the JLA ice for the first time this month. The only Wings not to report for the player workouts have been center Pavel Datsyuk and defenseman Kyle Quincey.
Glad to see that new contract and the thought he just needs to get up to speed is really playing in his decision making. Disappointing to hear this is what he has decided. Understand Datsyuk's position, Quincey being absent makes absolutely no sense.

Old
09-11-2012, 06:20 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quincey is in Sweden giving Lidstrom tips on how to be a great d-man.

Old
09-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

What do you guys think of this write up/summary of the Wings' off-season?
http://www.thehockeypulse.com/healin...ings/#more-210

Seemed like Holland was thinking he would make some big changes and was probably expecting to land one of Suter/Parise and came away empty handed. Not that I think Rozsival was going to be a difference maker, but he was probably the best remaining option left (and a RH dman which the Wings only have one of).

Old
09-12-2012, 01:16 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
What do you guys think of this write up/summary of the Wings' off-season?
http://www.thehockeypulse.com/healin...ings/#more-210

Seemed like Holland was thinking he would make some big changes and was probably expecting to land one of Suter/Parise and came away empty handed. Not that I think Rozsival was going to be a difference maker, but he was probably the best remaining option left (and a RH dman which the Wings only have one of).
Sounds about right. I'm not one of those that is up for signing anobody just because we couldn't land Suter. This is where it's easy to overreact and overpay for the likes of Carle, Wideman and Garrison just because you have the cap space, and start to regret it half a season into the contract. I'll live with the one or two year solution they might come up with in the end however. Rozsival could've worked for that, but there are other guys out there perfectly fine as stopgaps. And at this point I'm pretty sure it'll be a stopgap type of player similar to the Ian White signing(who might be re-signed but that's beside the point).

Quote:

Rozsival has major health concerns and is trending downwards as a player, let's not overreact.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:51 AM
The Yzerman
1983 - 4th Overall

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive
Wings' Justin Abdelkader said he expects to have new contract by tomorrow. Wants it done before lockout.
I guess we'll see Abdelkader in the Red and White after all. Can't say I'm surprised.

Old
09-12-2012, 02:31 PM
TatarTangle

^reported $1.7 million per year, thoughts?

Old
09-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake28 View Post
Meh. If it's a 4yr deal, it won't look that bad in years 3 and 4. Probably pretty good if he can continue to develop towards a 10 goal 30-35 pt player that can win face offs and kill penalties well.

Old
09-12-2012, 02:44 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Too expensive.

Old
09-12-2012, 02:58 PM
TatarTangle

I initially thought way too much money as well. The only thing he brings to the table Tootoo doesn't is killing penalties.

I'm sure Kenny's line of thinking is 'well, I DO have all this cap room...'

Old
09-12-2012, 03:20 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

I cant believe Gator would get four years. He is soooooooooooo mediocre.

Old
09-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

If the cap really goes down to 58m whenever the lockout ends a 1.7m cap hit is brutal.

Old
09-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Frk It
Thanks for Green!

Is this a bad dream? If so, is it almost over?

Old
09-13-2012, 01:28 AM
joe89

Quote:
Just like many other signings he's done over the years. Pay the player now, get a longer term, and hope you get big value at the end of the deal.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:08 AM
pdd

Quote:

Rosival is having a lot of injury issues and isn't really any better defensively than Colaiacovo, who is now apparently officially signed. But he is five years older than Carlo.

This just makes me question one thing. If Holland is going to go with the slightly more expensive, younger player in this instance to get the player in his prime... why didn't he do it with regards to Hudler/Samuelsson when we actually NEED scoring forwards? Whether it's Rosival or Colaiacovo is hardly a huge difference. Hudler is a significant upgrade from Samuelsson.

Anyways... since Abby looks to have a deal done or near done, here's what we're looking at:

Abdelkader, Justin
Bertuzzi, Todd
Brunner, Damian
Cleary, Dan
Datsyuk, Pavel
Eaves, Patrick
Emmerton, Cory
Filppula, Valtteri
Franzen, Johan
Helm, Darren
Miller, Drew
Mursak, Jan
Nyquist, Gustav
Samuelsson, Mikael
Tootoo, Jordin
Zetterberg, Henrik

Colaiacovo, Carlo
Ericsson, Jonathan
Kindl, Jakub
Kronwall, Niklas
Quincey, Kyle
Smith, Brendan
White, Ian

Gustavsson, Jonas
Howard, Jimmy

Need to trim off two forwards, and we have a roster. Eaves likely will go to LTIR, so there's one. Which leaves one of a couple situations. One of Nyquist or Brunner (probably Nyquist) goes to Grand Rapids, or we see Emmerton, Mursak, and Miller fighting for the last two spots on the roster.

The idea that the third line could potentially be Franzen/Filppula/Cleary (or Samuelsson) is intriguing, though. If Nyquist and Brunner come through as we all hope, the Wings have serious scoring depth that could make that a reality. And then there's Jarnkrok, Jurco, Sheahan, Pulkkinen, Tatar... if things work out well, will the Wings soon be very good AND one of the league's younger teams?

Closed Thread