HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXI: Weepy Tears & Angst (A. Kostitsyn Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2012, 01:25 AM
PensFan68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Semin's agent said he wanted to play for the Pens, and Shero had the cap space so it's a reasonable assumption to say he passed on Semin (or Semin got sick of waiting for Shero to wait on Doan).

Going after ZP doesn't mean he can't also pursue other guys at the same time, just in case. Whitney, Penner, Samuelsson and PAP would have been decent plan Bs. yes the other guys are reclamation projects, but they were cheap and could have been gotten for free.
Just because Semin's agent said he wanted to play here doesn't mean he really wanted to for any price. If shero offered 6.5 and the canes offered 7 he signed that. No way to say he passed on him for sure, as well as no way to say he for sure offered a contract.

If RS had deals on the table for ZP and RS, then yes, he couldn't pursue anyone else. Even if it was just for ZP, what's the point in pursuing another forward if you feel you can get the one you need? I'll give you the rec projects on the cheap, but I'm not pursuing Whitney when I think I have a great shot at ZP.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:33 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
Just because Semin's agent said he wanted to play here doesn't mean he really wanted to for any price. If shero offered 6.5 and the canes offered 7 he signed that. No way to say he passed on him for sure, as well as no way to say he for sure offered a contract.

If RS had deals on the table for ZP and RS, then yes, he couldn't pursue anyone else. Even if it was just for ZP, what's the point in pursuing another forward if you feel you can get the one you need? I'll give you the rec projects on the cheap, but I'm not pursuing Whitney when I think I have a great shot at ZP.
No one knows if Shero offered Semin a contract. But IMO, if he offered anythign close to 7M Semin'd be a Penguin.

That's essentially what I'm saying. He put all his eggs in the ZP basket and when ZP signed in Minny he was ****ed. The bolded is wrong. He could have easily talked to Whit (or any of the other FAs) about a deal in the event that ZP didn't sign, but he didn't set up that safety net.

That last bolded reminds me of the kid who doesn't apply to any safety schools because they think they'll get into their first choice. "I think I'll get into Harvard so I'm not going to apply to Brown or Dartmouth."

Old
07-27-2012, 01:33 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

I miss Steve Sullivan.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:34 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
LOL. If you don't think Letang's agent would pull the "Well, you paid a 21 goal scoring forward $7m for a year" in his contract negotiations with Shero, you aren't being honest with yourself. Same with Malkin's agent.

I'm sure Neal would be sitting there after another 40 goal season thinking maybe he is underpaid if the Pens value Semin enough to pay him more than him.

These guys want to win, but there is something with human nature knowing that you bust your ass and work harder than a guy, out produce him, and yet he's getting paid way more than you. It happens everyday in real life and pisses people off. Hockey players are no different.

Shero has built a culture in Pittsburgh that is not based on the NYR/Philly we're going to outbid people out of desperation. Like it or not, agree with it or not, that's just how he is. Burkle ***** money for breakfast. I'm sure if Shero wanted Semin, he could've had him. I just don't think he was willing to sacrifice "future" issues at paying a $7m cap hit for him. $5m and I think he would've.
Those guys are going to get paid regardless.

I just don't see that view point, now if he was locking him up for 3 years at 7 million per, that would be different. Making a long term commitment says a lot more than paying a premium for a guy over one year.

If guys are going to pout over what someone makes for one season when it makes the team as a whole better, then the culture you're talking about has failed.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:36 AM
PensFan68

Quote:
No one knows if Shero offered Semin a contract. But IMO, if he offered anythign close to 7M Semin'd be a Penguin.

That's essentially what I'm saying. He put all his eggs in the ZP basket and when ZP signed in Minny he was ****ed. The bolded is wrong. He could have easily talked to Whit (or any of the other FAs) about a deal in the event that ZP didn't sign, but he didn't set up that safety net.

That last bolded reminds me of the kid who doesn't apply to any safety schools because they think they'll get into their first choice. "I think I'll get into Harvard so I'm not going to apply to Brown or Dartmouth."
Didn't Whitney decide before ZP/RS?

Old
07-27-2012, 01:43 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
Didn't Whitney decide before ZP/RS?
Yes he did. Shero could have asked him to wait a few days if they had a deal in place.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:53 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

The only thing at this point that can make up for this abysmal off season is if we make a trade for Bobby Ryan.

Old
07-27-2012, 02:23 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
The only thing at this point that can make up for this abysmal off season is if we make a trade for Bobby Ryan.
Ryan's value just got higher now that he's the guy available for the people that missed out on Nash, potentially Doan, and Semin.

The guy the Ducks would have wanted, is now in Carolina. The kind of package that it would take to get Ryan, is probably something we all don't want to hear or think about, unless Shero fleeces their ass.

Old
07-27-2012, 02:45 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I'd rather sign Kostitsyn than open up any holes on the current roster by trading for Stewart.
agree.

Old
07-27-2012, 02:46 AM
KaylaJ
I like stories

Quote:
Yes he did. Shero could have asked him to wait a few days if they had a deal in place.

And why exactly would Whitney wait around for the Pens while Parise made his decision?

Old
07-27-2012, 03:24 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

If Shero wasnt willing to take a risk on Semin there is a zero percent chance that he'd take Andrei Kostitsyn who is by far the most cancerous of the Kostitsyn brothers. It really feels like Pens fans see the few flashy goals hes scored vs us in the past and think thats the player he is.

Last edited by Letang fan 58: 07-27-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old
07-27-2012, 04:15 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
And why exactly would Whitney wait around for the Pens while Parise made his decision?
To play for a contender and possibly win another Cup before he retired?

To play with Sid or Geno?

To play in the East, for a team that a a much better travel schedule than Dallas?

Old
07-27-2012, 04:23 AM
Honour Over Glory

Stewart sucks, I would rather the team went after Andrei Kostitsyn for a year and let Beau develop and really make a run for it in 2013-2014.

Old
07-27-2012, 04:25 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
To play for a contender and possibly win another Cup before he retired?

To play with Sid or Geno?

To play in the East, for a team that a a much better travel schedule than Dallas?
Whitney has a cup ring, would he like another one? Sure, but he also knows at his age, his window to "cash in" isn't all that wide and so he went and did what was best for him and his family and signed the best deal possible and maybe he gets lucky, maybe he doesn't...

I also think players that age know that the Pens aren't going to keep them around that long, they want someone to grow with Sid & Geno and so they will use them as stop gaps and I don't think many vets are all that fond of it - those that have been in that position before and signed with a team for 1yr and then were discarded.

Sounds mean, but that is how it was with Sullivan and various other older players that the Pens brought in for 1-2yrs and then said goodbye.

Old
07-27-2012, 04:28 AM
Frederick Stanley
Shirai Ryu

It's a good thing we don't neet wingers.

But holy ****, 7 million for Semin?

Old
07-27-2012, 04:32 AM
Florentino Ariza

I don't see how it's absurd. It's a one year deal and he's one of the most gifted hockey players in the world.

Old
07-27-2012, 04:34 AM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

Honestly at this point if Shero can't work magic in a trade for a guy like Ryan, I'd much rather just save the tons of caps space and put all the chips on the table and say F-it here we go with what he have and see how the kids and the team as a whole responds.

It's pretty sad when people are left with nothing to get excited about than AK46

Old
07-27-2012, 04:50 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
#GenoNation

Meh, I'm fine with just singing AK46 at this point. I just don't see how we can offer a better package of players than some of the other teams. Anything new on the Doan front?

Old
07-27-2012, 05:12 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

At this point, just go with what we've got unless Shero can swing some sort of trade.

Nobody else left worth signing. Doan isn't coming here, never was. Everyone else is trash.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:24 AM
jdc147
Black & Gold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
Meh, I'm fine with just singing AK46 at this point. I just don't see how we can offer a better package of players than some of the other teams. Anything new on the Doan front?
Last report, in Pittsburgh friday. #Doanwatch.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:47 AM
Terrapin

I haven't checked the remaining available FAs. I know there is pretty much **** left. But are there any wingers that actually have size and are physical? Sure, bringing in a 40 goal scorer would be nice, but I'd be just as happy getting someone that's big, mean, tough, and can bang in 20 goals from in front of the net.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:55 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
If Shero wasnt willing to take a risk on Semin there is a zero percent chance that he'd take Andrei Kostitsyn who is by far the most cancerous of the Kostitsyn brothers. It really feels like Pens fans see the few flashy goals hes scored vs us in the past and think thats the player he is.
not that it makes me optimistic about Shero's will of signing him, but Kostitsyn would sign for a less than half than what Semin got.

And under the current circumstances, getting for free a potential top 6 winger for a team that currently sports Dupuis and Kennedy on its 1st line should be a no brainer.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:58 AM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
I miss Steve Sullivan.
Agreed.

Had we re-signed him, there would be zero discussion about our offense and everyone would be more focused on the real area of need...2012-13 defense.

Our 2014-15 defense will be full of Norris candidates, I'm sure, but I'm more than a little anxious about the troops we have for this year.

Old
07-27-2012, 07:04 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I haven't checked the remaining available FAs. I know there is pretty much **** left. But are there any wingers that actually have size and are physical? Sure, bringing in a 40 goal scorer would be nice, but I'd be just as happy getting someone that's big, mean, tough, and can bang in 20 goals from in front of the net.
Kostitsyn won't go in front of the net, but he does pretty much everything else. His physical game is very underrated and like I said many time in Montreal he wasn't given much of a chance and always seeing 3rd line minutes. Never played with an elite player except Kovalev years ago and they were the best line on the team. He also played with Plekanec and Cammalleri the year they beat us and they were by far the best Habs line. Low risk high reward IMO

Old
07-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKV Jungle Friends View Post
Agreed.

Had we re-signed him, there would be zero discussion about our offense and everyone would be more focused on the real area of need...2012-13 defense.

Our 2014-15 defense will be full of Norris candidates, I'm sure, but I'm more than a little anxious about the troops we have for this year.
I really liked Sullivan as well, was a great fit and helped this team out a lot. For what he makes it's too bad he couldn't come back for 1 more year

Closed Thread