HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXI: Weepy Tears & Angst (A. Kostitsyn Edition)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-28-2012, 01:31 PM
  #676
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Has anyone considered that we could actually use Sutter as trade material for a winger...?
Yeah, then we can use that winger to trade for a 3rd line center!

Jacob is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 01:47 PM
  #677
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Has anyone considered that we could actually use Sutter as trade material for a winger...?
I've been saying that for a while. A third line center role is easier to find as a UFA and the Pens wouldn't have to overpay for him. Who really cares about a revolving door on the third line. I also wouldn't mind trying out Sutter on the wing too.

#66 is online now  
Old
07-28-2012, 01:48 PM
  #678
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71
 
SinfulCobraZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Yeah, then we can use that winger to trade for a 3rd line center!

SinfulCobraZ is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 02:00 PM
  #679
vyktor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
i doubt we sign him, and i certainly dont want the pens to overpay him.

but of all the ufas that were available at the start of free agency, i really thought/think doan was arguably the best fit for the pens.

hes capable of creating some of his own offense (which really only crosby and malkin can reliably do), very physical, plays with playoff/warrior mentality, hungry to win, and is a great veteran presence (which i honestly think the pens could still use). i also think he has more in the tank than some people around here think. i think he can still be valuable a few years from now.

that said, the numbers weve been hearing for him are obviously too much.

but he could be a great addition.
And he is a RHS who can score on the PP, the only thing that scares me is the 4th year, but Martin will definitely be gone by then lol, Sometime you have to pay that price/ take that chance.

vyktor is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 02:01 PM
  #680
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
We certainly can at some point. I want to see what we have with him first. He's already stellar defensively and if his offense improves his value will only go way up.
I don't think anyone will want to deal Sutter for a winger once they get a taste of what he can do in a Pens jersey. Even if they do, I doubt Shero will considering his commitment to being 3 strong down the middle.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 02:21 PM
  #681
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I've been saying that for a while. A third line center role is easier to find as a UFA and the Pens wouldn't have to overpay for him. Who really cares about a revolving door on the third line. I also wouldn't mind trying out Sutter on the wing too.
I was one of a few Canes fans that thought Sutter would have been a better winger than center. Obviously he was very good defensively, but I think his speed on the wing would work well. He also has under-rated playmaking ability, a decent shot, and IMO, the best hockey IQ on the Canes last year.

Unfortunately, the Canes couldn't afford to ever do that because he was too valuable in his defensive role, but I still think he'd make a solid top 6 winger.

Boom Boom Anton is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 02:33 PM
  #682
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood
 
Ragamuffin Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 15,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
The more time passes, the more I would much rather head into camp with what we have and give Tangradi and Bennett a chance to fill our gaps offensively. If they fail, so be it, and we make a trade, but I can't sit here and criticize Shero's development of offensive prospects and also advocate for never giving them the playing time and opportunity to make the jump.

All those players i pointed out in my last post got consistent playing time at the NHL level, not 6 minutes with Adams and Asham every 5th game.

If there are no players out there that blow us away then I'd prefer to develop within than sign another stopgap like Sullivan, even though i appreciate what he brought to the table last year.
There's a difference between giving rookies a chance and going into the season depending on at least one rookie to play with Sid or Geno.

ET should have gotten 3rd line time all last season so we'd know if he could fill in the top 6 this season.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 02:55 PM
  #683
SEALBound
Registered User
 
SEALBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I've been saying that for a while. A third line center role is easier to find as a UFA and the Pens wouldn't have to overpay for him. Who really cares about a revolving door on the third line. I also wouldn't mind trying out Sutter on the wing too.
Trading a 3C for winger...how has no one ever thought of this before!??

I wanted to start this year with:

Staal-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

Soooooooo bad! I was thinking about this yesterday and I still hold that:

Sullivan-Crosby-Staal
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Dupuis-Kennedy
Asham-Vitale-Adams

could have been a Cup wining lineup.

SEALBound is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 03:18 PM
  #684
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Lesshaus > Morehaus
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Has anyone considered that we could actually use Sutter as trade material for a winger...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Yeah, then we can use that winger to trade for a 3rd line center!

Yah, that about sums that idea up. Wouldn't it have been much smarter to trade Staal for a stud like Ryan instead of trading him for a less offensive version of Staal, who in turn won't get us nearly as good a winger while leaving a gap at 3C? Common guys. Sutter is going nowhere. He's a very solid replacement for Staal and less expensive.


All things Detroit:

Lidstrom Replacement: Kronwall. They've been grooming him for that job for years and he has put up some big numbers when asked so he's got it in him to be a good replacement (obviously no one is going to truly replace the greatest D of all time arguably... whoever steps in it will be a step down).

Franzen for Orpik: I can't see them trading him for any of our D other than Letang and that would be big overpayment. He's one of the few guys on that team capable of scoring 30G and still in his prime and at a low cap hit (albeit for another 8 years). He's also good in the playoffs. I'd consider it though, if Dumoulin already had a year of experience under his belt and was doing well. Orpik is going to slow down at some point so having Franzen (who could play our style of game very well) for the next 5-6 years wouldn't be a terrible thing. Maybe in a couple years that option will exist for us as our various D develop.

Generally Detroit is not a good trading partner for us.


Stafford: would be an upgrade over TK or Tangradi for sure. If it wasn't too costly, I'd consider it.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 03:28 PM
  #685
Dupree13
Registered User
 
Dupree13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Yah, that about sums that idea up. Wouldn't it have been much smarter to trade Staal for a stud like Ryan instead of trading him for a less offensive version of Staal, who in turn won't get us nearly as good a winger while leaving a gap at 3C? Common guys. Sutter is going nowhere. He's a very solid replacement for Staal and less expensive.
It would have been if Staal didn't sandbag Shero into trading him only to Carolina.

Dupree13 is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 03:38 PM
  #686
Zbynek
Registered User
 
Zbynek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Country: Portugal
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
I don't buy this, but FWIW:

http://m.ottawasun.com/2012/07/27/bu...an-buy-him-out

Pens offer Doan 4 yrs 24M.
No no no no no no.

God no. No. No. No.

Zbynek is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 03:51 PM
  #687
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,342
vCash: 500
We weren't getting Ryan for one year of Staal under any circumstances. Staal also had every right to choose the path he chose. He wanted to wait and test UFA unless he got traded to his brothers team. Nothing wrong with that.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 03:56 PM
  #688
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
We weren't getting Ryan for one year of Staal under any circumstances. Staal also had every right to choose the path he chose. He wanted to wait and test UFA unless he got traded to his brothers team. Nothing wrong with that.
I still think he could have let Shero know his Carolina preference less publicly. Then again, Michalek wanting out is still nothing but a vague suspicion and people like the Staal return heaps better, so what am I even complaining about? It worked out in the end.

TorstenFrings is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 03:56 PM
  #689
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Lidstrom Replacement: Kronwall. They've been grooming him for that job for years and he has put up some big numbers when asked so he's got it in him to be a good replacement (obviously no one is going to truly replace the greatest D of all time arguably... whoever steps in it will be a step down).
CV, notwithstanding the precipitous dropoff from Lidstrom to Kronwall, let's look at who becomes the Red Wings' second best defenseman with Lidstrom and Stuart's departures:

Ian White.

That's a situation for a contender, right there.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 04:10 PM
  #690
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post


it's safe to say this .GIF backfired

hahaha true!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
I miss Steve Sullivan.

I miss Damien Brunner

jmelm is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 04:35 PM
  #691
DegenX
#FireMorehouse
 
DegenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I've been saying that for a while. A third line center role is easier to find as a UFA and the Pens wouldn't have to overpay for him. Who really cares about a revolving door on the third line. I also wouldn't mind trying out Sutter on the wing too.
It would certainly be worth experimenting with in camp/pre-season and trying Jeffrey in the 3C spot.

Kunitz-Crosby-Sutter
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Jeffrey-Dupuis
TK-Vitale-Glass
Adams

DegenX is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 04:37 PM
  #692
SEALBound
Registered User
 
SEALBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,080
vCash: 500
NHLToday ‏@TheInsiderNhl
Heard that #Wild have had talks with #Pens about Heatley and setoucghi

Don't care if legitimate source or not...I need rumors of action! This one is juicy and satisfies me.

Martin+Kennedy+Strait/Bortz/pick?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Dany Heatley ($7.500m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Shane Doan ($6.000m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.726m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m)
Brian Strait ($0.605m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.900m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,504,333; BONUSES: $110,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,695,667

Shut up! Its July!


Last edited by SEALBound: 07-28-2012 at 04:43 PM.
SEALBound is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 04:38 PM
  #693
OnMyOwn
Extremist
 
OnMyOwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: State College
Country: United States
Posts: 8,788
vCash: 500
Probably about asking price for each, not getting both at same time.

I wouldn't mind either.

OnMyOwn is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 04:54 PM
  #694
Terrapin
Registered User
 
Terrapin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
It would certainly be worth experimenting with in camp/pre-season and trying Jeffrey in the 3C spot.

Kunitz-Crosby-Sutter
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Jeffrey-Dupuis
TK-Vitale-Glass
Adams
I'm going to identify a new psychological disorder called TDS- Tangradi Derangment Syndrome. This is a prime example. You have Tangradi, who has 1 goal in 41 games on the 2nd line, and Dupuis, who had 25 goals last year on the 3rd line.

This disorder is quickly turning into an epidemic.

Terrapin is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 04:54 PM
  #695
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
I don't know if the connection means anything, but Dany Heatley was drafted 2nd overall in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft by the Atlanta Thrashers. The GM of the Thrashers was Don Waddell, who is a pro scout for the Penguins.

Also, there is a connection between Fletcher and Shero with Fletcher being assistant GM for the Pens under Ray Shero.

Flat Stanley is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 04:58 PM
  #696
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 16,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
NHLToday ‏@TheInsiderNhl
Heard that #Wild have had talks with #Pens about Heatley and setoucghi

Don't care if legitimate source or not...I need rumors of action! This one is juicy and satisfies me.

Martin+Kennedy+Strait/Bortz/pick?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Dany Heatley ($7.500m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Shane Doan ($6.000m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.726m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m)
Brian Strait ($0.605m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.900m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,504,333; BONUSES: $110,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,695,667

Shut up! Its July!
Is that twitter reliable at all?

mpp9 is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 04:58 PM
  #697
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,502
vCash: 50
that Heater rumor is old as dirt (July 24th to be precise). was already discussed pages and pages ago. still i wouldn't mind him at the deadline. Iggy/Heater/B.Morrow/any other 32+ winger shouldn't be targeted before the deadline in my opinion.

Crafton is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 04:59 PM
  #698
DegenX
#FireMorehouse
 
DegenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I'm going to identify a new psychological disorder called TDS- Tangradi Derangment Syndrome. This is a prime example. You have Tangradi, who has 1 goal in 41 games on the 2nd line, and Dupuis, who had 25 goals last year on the 3rd line.

This disorder is quickly turning into an epidemic.
And I'm going to identify a new psychological disorder called FTCC - Failure To Comprehend Context. What I said was:
Quote:
It would certainly be worth experimenting with in camp/pre-season and trying Jeffrey in the 3C spot

DegenX is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 05:01 PM
  #699
Terrapin
Registered User
 
Terrapin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
And I'm going to identify a new psychological disorder called FTCC - Failure To Comprehend Context. What I said was:
And like I said yesterday, may as well experiment with Adams and Macintyre on those lines as well. They both score more than Tangradi.

Terrapin is offline  
Old
07-28-2012, 05:01 PM
  #700
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I don't know if the connection means anything, but Dany Heatley was drafted 2nd overall in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft by the Atlanta Thrashers. The GM of the Thrashers was Don Waddell, who is a pro scout for the Penguins.

Also, there is a connection between Fletcher and Shero with Fletcher being assistant GM for the Pens under Ray Shero.
don't forget Mike Yeo

Ogrezilla is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.