HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXI: Weepy Tears & Angst (A. Kostitsyn Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2012, 01:01 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
By the time Letang is up, Orpik will be too. By that time one of our prospects (Dumoulin perhaps) will be ready to take over for Orpik. Orpik's salary can be used for Letang who is probably going to get a long term (CBA max if applicable) $6mil cap hit contract.

Malkin is gonna get the Crosby deal. At this point its too difficult to determine Sutter's potential contract.

We can survive signing Doan. Worst case, I'm sure in two years there may be team needing him if they need to get to the cap floor. Who knows, in 2 years he may want a trade back to Phoenix to end his career? No one knows.

Someone brought up trading for Iggy then resigning him...wonder what he would sign for? Think we could get a 2yr/8-10mil contract from him?
I agree that we can and am not predicting the world to end. Again: If he does sign, I am willing to be very optimistic about it and I will most obviously root for him like I do for everyone wearing a Penguins jersey, but I wouldn't call surviving a signing a good enough outcome.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
People are really under ratting Doan. He was the C for Phoenix since 03. He plays with heart & grit which is exactly what this team needs. If you need to overpay him to get closer to a cup then you do it. I would take a 35 year old Doan on a longer contract than a 26 year old Semin any day.
i agree with this. he has been the focal point on offense for a fairly successful team for many years.

just looking back at his point totals, he led the coyotoes in points for like the past 5 seasons, excluding this most recent season. can anyone comment on his play this season? only saw him sporadically this year.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
i agree with this. he has been the focal point on offense for a fairly successful team for many years.

just looking back at his point totals, he led the coyotoes in points for like the past 5 seasons, excluding this most recent season. can anyone comment on his play this season? only saw him sporadically this year.
In the playoffs he had 79 hits in 16 games while leading them in shots at 47. That's a lot of both.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:15 PM
mpp9

Doan has a serious size advantage over Kunitz. And he has produced similar numbers without an elite center. He's a significant upgrade.

We need to be asking ourselves who helps us win in the postseason. Doan does that. We didn't have enough extended shifts in the offensive zone against Philly. Doan overpowers defenders. If he's not scoring, he's wearing a team down and making smart plays in all three zones.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Terrapin

If we give Doan a 4 year deal, and the last 2 years of it are terrible because he's too old, I'd gladly take it if his 1st two years brings us a cup or two

Old
07-29-2012, 01:26 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Sure, not for free agents. Parise and Hamhuis wanted to go play for their hometown team, Suter wanted to stay in the Western Conference and Jagr wanted more money.
Only partially true. Parise wanted to play with Suter. If MN didn't sign Suter, Parise wasn't going there.

Which begs the questions: Why the hell would Parise want to play with Suter over Crosby???

Old
07-29-2012, 01:32 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
Only partially true. Parise wanted to play with Suter. If MN didn't sign Suter, Parise wasn't going there.

Which begs the questions: Why the hell would Parise want to play with Suter over Crosby???
Because they're BFFs, and for Suter, while MN/SP isn't his hometown it's only 260 miles from Madison, WI.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:44 PM
AZPenguins

Quote:

He might have wanted to be the "Man". On the Wild he is their best offensive player, he would have been 3rd best tops on the Penguins.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:48 PM
SEALBound

Why do people continue to compare potential wingers to Neal?

Completely different situations.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Why do people continue to compare potential wingers to Neal?

Completely different situations.
thank you. Using a specific contract to compare everyone else's new contract just doesn't work.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Jacob

Doan isn't coming here. He has no reason to. He has no ties to Pittsburgh, we won't be the highest bidder and several other teams can offer him an equal or better chance at a cup if that's even any interest to him. And when his contract is up he'd just move back to Phoenix or Alberta anyway, so if he's spending the next 3 years in an unknown city it'll be some place more connected and cosmopolitan like Chicago or NYC.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:08 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Doan isn't coming here. He has no reason to. He has no ties to Pittsburgh, we won't be the highest bidder and several other teams can offer him an equal or better chance at a cup if that's even any interest to him. And when his contract is up he'd just move back to Phoenix or Alberta anyway, so if he's spending the next 3 years in an unknown city it'll be some place more connected and cosmopolitan like Chicago or NYC.
I don't think anyone knows what he's doing. And judging from Shero's offseason thus far, I don't think he'll be afraid to make a competitive offer if it means filling a hole in the top 6 without moving assets.

If Doan leaves Phoenix, who knows where he ends up.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
If we give Doan a 4 year deal, and the last 2 years of it are terrible because he's too old, I'd gladly take it if his 1st two years brings us a cup or two
Meh. I think a 4 year deal is one year too long. Guerin, Knuble, and others like him have been serviceable at a later age. Doan is a warrior. He'll no doubt be a top 6 guy the next 2-3 years. That 3rd year I could see him also being a 3rd line guy for Sutter if someone like Bennett steps up. That 4th year however...3rd/4th liner.

Doan does provide this team a lot of what it was missing from Roberts/Guerin no longer on the team though.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Hophog

Quote:
I agree. I see alot of debating about whether or not 4 years is too long and what exactly we want. It doesn't come down to what's reasonable with these free agents. It's either money or where they want to live. I don't think we stand a chance to be leaders in either of those areas. We think 4 yrs at $6 million is too much which means he'll probably get 6 yrs at 7 million per. There are plenty of teams that make what appear to be bad deals. Some teams are capable of making bad deals and still come out smelling like roses. The Pens, with the exception of Martin, clearly don't take chances.

Old
07-29-2012, 03:17 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
IDK, isn't he supposedly all about the Christian farm life in the desert? And the wife too? Not that this helps Pittburgh's case any, but that does not scream cosmopolitan life style as the dealbreaker. I'd give Vancouver better odds than Chicago any day for the family reasons.

Old
07-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Borgir

Quote:

This may be tough for you to hear but not everyone wants to play for the Penguins/play with Sid...

Old
07-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:

I think it's the other way around.

Zach Parise had his heart set on playing in Minnesota, it's his hometown. Parise and Suter wanted to play on the same team together, Suter wanted to stay in the Western Conference and Minnesota is close to Suter's hometown, Milwaukee, WI.

It's not so much Parise wanting to play with Suter over Crosby, it's more of Parise wanting to play in Minnesota over Pittsburgh, plus having Suter join him is a plus for him.

Old
07-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Meh. I think a 4 year deal is one year too long. Guerin, Knuble, and others like him have been serviceable at a later age. Doan is a warrior. He'll no doubt be a top 6 guy the next 2-3 years. That 3rd year I could see him also being a 3rd line guy for Sutter if someone like Bennett steps up. That 4th year however...3rd/4th liner.

Doan does provide this team a lot of what it was missing from Roberts/Guerin no longer on the team though.
Well giving anyone his age (and his style of play) a 4 year deal for big money is a definite gamble. if signing him would bring us a cup one or two of those 4 years, it would be worth it.

Sign Doan, trade TK and Adams to Ottawa for Chris Neil, and we'd be set!

Old
07-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Well giving anyone his age (and his style of play) a 4 year deal for big money is a definite gamble. if signing him would bring us a cup one or two of those 4 years, it would be worth it.

Sign Doan, trade TK and Adams to Ottawa for Chris Neil, and we'd be set!
why would ottawa make that trade? I mean, ya I'm all for it but there's no way

Old
07-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgir View Post
This may be tough for you to hear but not everyone wants to play for the Penguins/play with Sid...

This is something a lot of people can't fathom. big name stars, in the prime of their careers, would almost always rather lead a team, then be the 4th or 5th biggest name on another team. Not that they wouldn't love playing with Sid or Geno, but pretty much all of these guys are Alpha males, and want to be 'the man'. That usually means we're catching guys on the wrong side of their careers looking for one last run (Geurin, Roberts, etc), or hoping to strike gold with some younger guys (Neal, Kuni, etc).

Old
07-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
why would ottawa make that trade? I mean, ya I'm all for it but there's no way
lol. i don't know. Would be nice though.

Old
07-29-2012, 03:50 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgir View Post

I seriously doubt that there are any players who specifically don't want to play on a line with Sidney Crosby. Is there bound to be better fits for players when you have potentially 29 different fits? Of course. But do you really think any for any player, playing with Sidney Crosby is weak part of our offer? Hint: it's not.

That's like saying you won't **** a chick because she "too hot".

Old
07-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Borgir

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
I seriously doubt that there are any players who specifically don't want to play on a line with Sidney Crosby. Is there bound to be better fits for players when you have potentially 29 different fits? Of course. But do you really think any for any player, playing with Sidney Crosby is weak part of our offer? Hint: it's not.

That's like saying you won't **** a chick because she "too hot".
Terrapin said it best...

Old
07-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Hophog

Quote:
This is something a lot of people can't fathom. big name stars, in the prime of their careers, would almost always rather lead a team, then be the 4th or 5th biggest name on another team. Not that they wouldn't love playing with Sid or Geno, but pretty much all of these guys are Alpha males, and want to be 'the man'. That usually means we're catching guys on the wrong side of their careers looking for one last run (Geurin, Roberts, etc), or hoping to strike gold with some younger guys (Neal, Kuni, etc).

I personally think this is the best way to go anyway. When you have Sid and Geno you don't need the best free agents to be on their wings. Unfortunately we haven't been able to develop anyone in that position. I don't think we need to have a dream line to have two incredible lines. It doesn't seem like it should be all the difficult to find another winger with maybe better hands than Pascal and a little bigger than Kunitz without it having to be Doan.

Old
07-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophog View Post
[/B]

I personally think this is the best way to go anyway. When you have Sid and Geno you don't need the best free agents to be on their wings. Unfortunately we haven't been able to develop anyone in that position. I don't think we need to have a dream line to have two incredible lines. It doesn't seem like it should be all the difficult to find another winger with maybe better hands than Pascal and a little bigger than Kunitz without it having to be Doan.
Tangradi has better hands than Dupuis and is more than a little bigger than Kunitz. Not the ideal scenario having such little competition for the spot, but IF Tangradi can work out he fits what we need at wing almost exactly.

Closed Thread