HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXI: Weepy Tears & Angst (A. Kostitsyn Edition)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-26-2012, 05:57 PM
  #76
Shrimper
WinItFor#58
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 62,328
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
If Hollywood has taught me anything, the underdog always wins. Look at LA. Good thinking
Would be a nice way to shut up the people who say we won't be able to afford all of these "huge" contracts in the future.

Shrimper is online now  
Old
07-26-2012, 05:59 PM
  #77
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 29,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Would be a nice way to shut up the people who say we won't be able to afford all of these "huge" contracts in the future.
I can just picture Tangradi as our Rudy

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 05:59 PM
  #78
Zbynek
Registered User
 
Zbynek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Madrid, Spain
Country: Spain
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Just because he didn't offer him 7M doesn't mean he wasn't interested or giving his own offers.
So what was his offer then? 6M? Is it really worth that extra 1M (which is just sitting there in unused cap) to let him walk to the Hurricanes?

It's just utterly infuriating to see a skilled guy like Semin walk to the Canes on a 1 year deal, especially if it meant we lost out on it because we didn't offer an extra 1mil that we have to spend. An extra 1mil that we might not use at this point.

You could argue that we will save some money to use at the deadline, but as the Dan Bylsma system has shown us, players do not adjust to it easily. I would have much rather preferred to overpay Semin a little bit, for just 1 year, and let him play through camp/preseason/the entire season to adjust to Bylsma's system. Rather than acquire Iginla/Lupul/whoever at the deadline and see them fail in our system.

Zbynek is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:01 PM
  #79
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin
 
SuburbanRhythm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
how generous of you. as if Lovejoy could tip the scales in any deal.
I disagree. I can absolutely see Lovejoy walking into a room where someone is trying to precisely weigh something, trip, fall into the scale, and tip it over.

SuburbanRhythm is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:03 PM
  #80
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 29,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
So what was his offer then? 6M? Is it really worth that extra 1M (which is just sitting there in unused cap) to let him walk to the Hurricanes?

It's just utterly infuriating to see a skilled guy like Semin walk to the Canes on a 1 year deal, especially if it meant we lost out on it because we didn't offer an extra 1mil that we have to spend. An extra 1mil that we might not use at this point.

You could argue that we will save some money to use at the deadline, but as the Dan Bylsma system has shown us, players do not adjust to it easily. I would have much rather preferred to overpay Semin a little bit, for just 1 year, and let him play through camp/preseason/the entire season to adjust to Bylsma's system. Rather than acquire Iginla/Lupul/whoever at the deadline and see them fail in our system.
I'm not saying you are wrong. I don't know. I'm saying with the information we have it is impossible to actually form an informed opinion of Shero's moves with regards to the deal. We know exactly one thing: he signed in Carolina for 7M. Does that make it a mistake by every GM that didn't sign him but had the room to do so? Or did Alex Semin make a different decision than we wanted and now are we wrongly placing our anger on Shero? As Pens fans we all think this is the obvious choice if the money is the same. Maybe that wasn't the issue. Maybe he doesn't like our team. Maybe he wants less media scrutiny after getting blasted all off-season. Maybe he wants warmer weather. Maybe he knows he's a lazy russian and would get benched by Bylsma and would rather coast somewhere else for a year before fleeing to Russia. Maybe he doesn't like Dan Bylsma's face. Maybe he reads these boards and wants to watch us have a melt-down. Who knows.


Last edited by Ogrezilla: 07-26-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:07 PM
  #81
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Mod Powers
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 24,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post

are you not entertained!?
If i could time-travel for fun I would go back in time, snatch that stick out of his hand and surgically alter his nose with a good cross-check. Gladly take an overnight in the clinker for it, although the cops would probably be on my side.

132 lb tough guy with a hockey stick, vandalizing a business because his team lost a hockey game. :no: What a loser.

Who does he think he is, Fogel?? Fogel is likable.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:07 PM
  #82
Aiastelmon
Fire DB
 
Aiastelmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,231
vCash: 500
I fully expect Shero to wait until closer to the deadline. We're good for the regular season, lots of depth. He can build up the trade value of all of our defenseman by giving them ice time. If Niskanen has another good year, he will have a hell of a lot of value at the deadline. Martin could as well. At that point we can easily score a guy like Iginla on his contract with our cap space. Why would you package up a bunch of our great prospects and kill your cap for 4 years by trading for a Nash when you could let the young guys develop and have lots of leverage at the deadline?

Very few teams have the depth at D that we have, and a guy like Niskanen can have a lot of value if you trade him at the right time. I think we'll see a Gogo like season out of Nisk this year too.

Also, having Semin get buried in Carolina rather than signing a cap friendly 2 year deal with Philly or even NJD makes me happy.

As of now, Philly is worse than last year, and they don't even have Bob to fall back on in net any more who used to kill us. Good luck with Bryz.

I'm not worried at all. We have a good mix of proven vets, superstars, and a few slots open for kids to win. Shero has made some plays out there to see if we can snatch a big player, but I am sure he's not going to reach just to make a deal.

Aiastelmon is online now  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:09 PM
  #83
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,131
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
I disagree. I can absolutely see Lovejoy walking into a room where someone is trying to precisely weigh something, trip, fall into the scale, and tip it over.
it's humor that will pull us through #DoanWatch #KostitsynWatch #TangradiTopSixWatch #IginlaWatch #PoachAnOldManDallasWingerWatch #PerryWatch and the rest.

Crafton is online now  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:09 PM
  #84
Zbynek
Registered User
 
Zbynek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Madrid, Spain
Country: Spain
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
If the Semin news broke and it was a 1 year/7M deal to the Penguins, pretty much everyone here would be pumped as hell. Myself included.

Really hoping Shero has something up his sleeve. Don't know if I can stomach TK or Tangradi playing on Crosby's wing. I think I would rather have Cooke up there with him

Zbynek is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:10 PM
  #85
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 29,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
If i could time-travel for fun I would go back in time, snatch that stick out of his hand and surgically alter his nose with a good cross-check. Gladly take an overnight in the clinker for it, although the cops would probably be on my side.

132 lb tough guy with a hockey stick, vandalizing a business because his team lost a hockey game. :no: What a loser.

Who does he think he is, Fogel?? Fogel is likable.
so no, you are not entertained?

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:11 PM
  #86
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 29,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
If the Semin news broke and it was a 1 year/7M deal to the Penguins, pretty much everyone here would be pumped as hell. Myself included.

Really hoping Shero has something up his sleeve. Don't know if I can stomach TK or Tangradi playing on Crosby's wing. I think I would rather have Cooke up there with him
If he outperforms them at camp, he will. It should be pretty much open for anybody to grab at this point.

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:12 PM
  #87
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Mod Powers
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 24,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
so no, you are not entertained?


I am impressed by your JPG relevancy to panic and mayhem, however that photo pisses me off just enough because of what it represents that I had to speak out against the Vancouver Machine.

Really I'm just projecting my Carolina anger at the "victim" of a Vancouver Cup loss. Can you tell how angry I am over Semin?

Furious... furious anger.



So angry am I. It burns like red hot pokers gouged into my eyeballs, this anger. Boy I am hot under the collar, let me tell you.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:13 PM
  #88
Aiastelmon
Fire DB
 
Aiastelmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
So what was his offer then? 6M? Is it really worth that extra 1M (which is just sitting there in unused cap) to let him walk to the Hurricanes?

It's just utterly infuriating to see a skilled guy like Semin walk to the Canes on a 1 year deal, especially if it meant we lost out on it because we didn't offer an extra 1mil that we have to spend. An extra 1mil that we might not use at this point.

You could argue that we will save some money to use at the deadline, but as the Dan Bylsma system has shown us, players do not adjust to it easily. I would have much rather preferred to overpay Semin a little bit, for just 1 year, and let him play through camp/preseason/the entire season to adjust to Bylsma's system. Rather than acquire Iginla/Lupul/whoever at the deadline and see them fail in our system.
We will snag Iginla at the deadline for very little, he will play on Sid's wing and score a butt pile of goals in the playoffs and beat a few guys down who mess with 87, then re-sign with us. Mark it down.

Aiastelmon is online now  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:16 PM
  #89
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 29,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post


I am impressed by your JPG relevancy to panic and mayhem, however that photo pisses me off just enough because of what it represents that I had to speak out against the Vancouver Machine.

Really I'm just projecting my Carolina anger at the "victim" of a Vancouver Cup loss.
I am sorry to bring up so much suppressed rage. I just thought that picture was some funny **** to post to a mother****er for a quick laugh. But I read your post and it made me think twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiastelmon View Post
We will snag Iginla at the deadline for very little, he will play on Sid's wing and score a butt pile of goals in the playoffs and beat a few guys down who mess with 87, then re-sign with us. Mark it down.
I like the cut of your jib we need some positive energy in here

speaking of which


Keep cool my babies

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:16 PM
  #90
gordie
Registered User
 
gordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiastelmon View Post
We will snag Iginla at the deadline for very little, he will play on Sid's wing and score a butt pile of goals in the playoffs and beat a few guys down who mess with 87, then re-sign with us. Mark it down.
Don't want Iginla for the same reason I don't want Doan. Too much money for too much age.

gordie is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:18 PM
  #91
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 12,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiastelmon View Post
We will snag Iginla at the deadline for very little, he will play on Sid's wing and score a butt pile of goals in the playoffs and beat a few guys down who mess with 87, then re-sign with us. Mark it down.
I do wonder if Calgary will finally sell him off at the deadline since he'll be in his final year and may not re-sign if he wants to chase a Cup.

I don't think he'll be had cheaply just because of what he means to Calgary. Although I do wonder if this is where we could take advantage of them being so high on Pouliot.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:18 PM
  #92
KaylaJ
Honey Bun
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 13,497
vCash: 500
RT @aaronward_nhl: All indications Detroit #RedWings out of Shane Doan sweepstakes.Asking price too high. #NHL #TSN



Interesting

KaylaJ is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:20 PM
  #93
SteelFish87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
RT @aaronward_nhl: All indications Detroit #RedWings out of Shane Doan sweepstakes.Asking price too high. #NHL #TSN



Interesting
I think that means the pens are out too

SteelFish87 is online now  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:21 PM
  #94
DegenX
Mixing the Kool-Aid
 
DegenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
RT @aaronward_nhl: All indications Detroit #RedWings out of Shane Doan sweepstakes.Asking price too high. #NHL #TSN



Interesting
Then that means we're probably out, too. I'm OK with that

DegenX is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:21 PM
  #95
Ugene Malkin
****!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 20,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
RT @aaronward_nhl: All indications Detroit #RedWings out of Shane Doan sweepstakes.Asking price too high. #NHL #TSN



Interesting
Very..

Ugene Malkin is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
  #96
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 14,231
vCash: 500
I'm out on Doan. He's not worth what he'll get. Downside of his career. Let's do a trade.

mpp9 is online now  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
  #97
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Mod Powers
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 24,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Don't want Iginla for the same reason I don't want Doan. Too much money for too much age.
If you wouldn't gladly take a rental-Iggy at 35 for a massive Cup run and possibly another couple years after, especially if they price wasn't that high, you're too worried about the age thing.

11 straight 30+ G seasons with a couple 50+ and 40+ in there tells me he just MIGHT be a good guy to have on this team for the playoffs.


2001 CGY 82 52 44 96
2002 CGY 75 35 32 67
2003 CGY 81 41 32 73
2005 CGY 82 35 32 67
2006 CGY 70 39 55 94
2007 CGY 82 50 48 98
2008 CGY 82 35 54 89
2009 CGY 82 32 37 69
2010 CGY 82 43 43 86
2011 CGY 82 32 35 67

Iginla and Doan are not comparable despite their age, because one of them has already slowed down and one of them is still full-tilt. Not to mention one of them is just flat-out more skilled than the other. And this is a guy whose put those numbers up on some pretty ****** teams... .

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
  #98
Shrimper
WinItFor#58
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 62,328
vCash: 50
If Detroit can't get Doan with all their cap space then I'm worried about what he's asking.

Also, you think our off-season bad? Detroit's must be worse. Missed out on Weber, Suter, Parise, Doan and Semin.

Shrimper is online now  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
  #99
gordie
Registered User
 
gordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
RT @aaronward_nhl: All indications Detroit #RedWings out of Shane Doan sweepstakes.Asking price too high. #NHL #TSN



Interesting
When the Gray Wings don't want you and they have an open checkbook to play with, what does that say about Shane Doan's real value?

gordie is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:24 PM
  #100
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 29,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
If you wouldn't gladly take a rental-Iggy at 35 for a massive Cup run and possibly another couple years after, especially if they price wasn't that high, you're too worried about the age thing.

11 straight 30+ G seasons with a couple 50+ and 40+ in there tells me he just MIGHT be a good guy to have on this team for the playoffs.


2001 CGY 82 52 44 96
2002 CGY 75 35 32 67
2003 CGY 81 41 32 73
2005 CGY 82 35 32 67
2006 CGY 70 39 55 94
2007 CGY 82 50 48 98
2008 CGY 82 35 54 89
2009 CGY 82 32 37 69
2010 CGY 82 43 43 86
2011 CGY 82 32 35 67

Iginla and Doan are not comparable despite their age, because one of them has already slowed down and one of them is still full-tilt. Not to mention one of them is just flat-out more skilled than the other.
Iginla would be the perfect short-term addition to our team.

Ogrezilla is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.