HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXI: Weepy Tears & Angst (A. Kostitsyn Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Flat Stanley

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Those quotes do not lift my spirits at this particular time as they sound like the same quotes given any other time of year / season.

In fact, whether Shero is 10 minutes away from starting TK and Duper on the Top 6 or 10 minutes away from pulling a Bobby Ryan trade, I think his responses to those type of media questions will always be the same.
Yeah I agree. Shero does repeat himself

Honestly though, Kostitsyn would be a great fit and I think Shero should try to sign him (stating the obvious, I know) lol.

But if not, I'm sure Shero will find some kind of trade for a top 6 winger.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
"Shero likes his team, but of course if there is something to make them better he will"

I hate it when he says that. Like he is going to do something that will not make his team better. Him & Blysma have mastered the art of having words come out there mouths with out saying anything.
"This team ****ing sucks. Tyler ****ing Kennedy might be in the top 6. **** me." -Ray Shero

better? Man that would make my day.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Sivek

If there's any time for Tangradi to take the bull by the horns and get some time with Sid, it's looks to be now since outside of a big trade, the team will move forward as is. Hopefully he comes to camp ready to go and gets a real opportunity.

This is me rationalizing this off-season's pursuit of a wing. I'm fully in camp of letting Tangradi play with Sid and Dupuis to start the season and go from there.

Went from Parise to Semin to Tangradi, welp.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:11 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Just thinking back fondly, the last time the fans *****ed about having a terrible off-season-- we won the cup. The last few years, we thought we had great off-seasons, and we know what happened then.

I don't really care that we got worse on paper or that holes were not addressed by the beginning of training camp. I'd much rather see the the organization realize that it's not as much of an issue of personnel as it is a lack of execution.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:13 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
If Detroit can't get Doan with all their cap space then I'm worried about what he's asking.

Also, you think our off-season bad? Detroit's must be worse. Missed out on Weber, Suter, Parise, Doan and Semin.
According to what NBCSports had earlier:

Semin’s agent, Todd Diamond, told M-Live.com that he had only one conversation with the Detroit Red Wings.

“It never got serious with them,” Diamond said.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Karnage420

well at least we'll have like 34324million to spend at the deadline.

WADE REDDEN COME ON DOWN

Old
07-26-2012, 07:17 PM
UnrealMachine

If Tangradi is part of the plan...we need a new plan.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Just thinking back fondly, the last time the fans *****ed about having a terrible off-season-- we won the cup. The last few years, we thought we had great off-seasons, and we know what happened then.

I don't really care that we got worse on paper or that holes were not addressed by the beginning of training camp. I'd much rather see the the organization realize that it's not as much of an issue of personnel as it is a lack of execution.

I think it's important sometimes to remember that even if we don't add anything more, we've already got a great team. We finished with 108 points last year despite Sid missing the vast majority of the year. Sutter is a downgrade from Staal, yes, but not by a huge amount, and having Sid for a full season more than makes up for losing Staal's offense. We also picked up an elite backup goalie who can start if Fleury falters or gets hurt.

At worst, we're no better than last year, and we were really really good last year. Yes we crashed and burned in the playoffs, but we faced the team that had our number all year, and the playoffs are a short sample size.

Annnnnnnnd we have a large amount of cap space to add now or at the deadline. This team is absurdly well positioned for success. Our biggest worry is a winger for Sid, and no matter how much we might ***** about him not having one, getting him a good winger is more of a luxury than a dire need. This team, as constructed, is good enough to win a cup.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:21 PM
redsono93

So who's left as far as UFA forwards? AK, Doan, Kristian Huselius, RJ Umberger thats all I have on my list. BTW it says J.P. Dumont is a UFA what ever happened to him? I wouldnt mind giving AK and Huselius a chance on a cheap contract kind of like Sullivan and or Sykora deals of the past.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
BRB going to read the Wings board and then the Flyers board.

edit: feels Dan Conner/Det. Sherman/Fred Flintstone/'Big Dan' Teague/Vice Dean Robert Laybourne

Old
07-26-2012, 07:22 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
I think it's important sometimes to remember that even if we don't add anything more, we've already got a great team. We finished with 108 points last year despite Sid missing the vast majority of the year. Sutter is a downgrade from Staal, yes, but not by a huge amount, and having Sid for a full season more than makes up for losing Staal's offense. We also picked up an elite backup goalie who can start if Fleury falters or gets hurt.

At worst, we're no better than last year, and we were really really good last year. Yes we crashed and burned in the playoffs, but we faced the team that had our number all year, and the playoffs are a short sample size.

Annnnnnnnd we have a large amount of cap space to add now or at the deadline. This team is absurdly well positioned for success. Our biggest worry is a winger for Sid, and no matter how much we might ***** about him not having one, getting him a good winger is more of a luxury than a dire need. This team, as constructed, is good enough to win a cup.
I was agreeing with this until this part. Major deadline deals rarely work out. Only one in recent memory was Jeff Carter, and let's be frank, the whole LA Kings playoff something to behold in general. Besides, you need to overpay during that time period. I'd rather trade earlier in the season (i.e. not deadline week) or during the off-season if it comes to that.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:24 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

What's with the trickling "xy out on Doan" tweets? Who does he think he is? Justin Schultz?

Old
07-26-2012, 07:24 PM
mpp9

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Martin/Letang
Orpik/Niskanen
Despres/Engelland

That can get us through the regular season without question. But come playoff time, Sid needs an upgrade. And if Martin doesn't rebound and Despres looks shakey, a veteran addition there couldn't hurt either.

I'm 100% with those who say if Shero doesn't get Sid a linemate, it's a failure and he should be held accountable. It's crunch time. Geno and Tanger's contracts are coming up and we've come off a very disappointing stretch of postseason performances.

But we'll be fine come fall if nothing happens. Chill folks.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
I was agreeing with this until this part. Major deadline deals rarely work out. Only one in recent memory was Jeff Carter, and let's be frank, the whole LA Kings playoff something to behold in general. Besides, you need to overpay during that time period. I'd rather trade earlier in the season (i.e. not deadline week) or during the off-season if it comes to that.
I don't think he was talking exclusively about the deadline, just between now and then. 3 of the last 4 teams to win the cup, including us, added pieces at or very near the deadline.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Martin/Letang
Orpik/Niskanen
Despres/Engelland

That can get us through the regular season without question. But come playoff time, Sid needs an upgrade. And if Martin doesn't rebound and Despres looks shakey, a veteran addition there couldn't hurt either.

I'm 100% with those who say if Shero doesn't get Sid a linemate, it's a failure and he should be held accountable. It's crunch time. Geno and Tanger's contracts are coming up and we've come off a very disappointing stretch of postseason performances.

agreed. The question will be what do we add. Do we just need one really good forward? Two pretty good forwards? A pretty good forward and a pretty good defensemen? Did Martin bounce back? Did Despres and Niskanen make Martin expendable? Is Tangradi/TK/Jeffrey playing well enough that upgrading Dupuis' spot is more important?

I would love to add right now, but there is an advantage to adding mid-season: you can have a better answer to those questions above.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I don't think he was talking exclusively about the deadline, just between now and then. 3 of the last 4 teams to win the cup, including us, added pieces at or very near the deadline.
Right. I'm saying that, whether we do it now or later, we've got room to add, and the great thing is, we don't even need to. I know it galls us but Ray Shero is right to be patient and wait for the right player for the team. There's no need to rush into anything.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:32 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
"This team ****ing sucks. Tyler ****ing Kennedy might be in the top 6. **** me." -Ray Shero

better? Man that would make my day.
I was thinking something like this...

"We are just going to bump Kennedy up & give the young guys Bennett & Tangraid a shot. Then we sit back a pray Kunitz or Neal don't get hurt because we will be totally boned if they do."

Old
07-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Martin/Letang
Orpik/Niskanen
Despres/Engelland

We're a Stanley Cup favorite supposedly right? We must get through the Rags, Flyers, and NJ, who are all bigger, more physical than us right? And you're seriously comfortable with Paul frickin Martin on the top D pairing? You're also cool with Eric Tangradi, the man that has 1 goal in 40'some games in the top 6? We aren't going to intimidate or grind any teams down (like Boston can), and outside of about 3 guys, we don't have much scoring either.

I said many pages ago this team (currently constructed) will be fighting hard for a 7 or 8 seed, and that's assuming Sid and Geno stay completely healthy.

If we 'underachieve' again this year, it will be the end of Bylsma, and likely the end of Shero. He'll be free to build his minor league defensive dynasty elsewhere.

Old
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Right. I'm saying that, whether we do it now or later, we've got room to add, and the great thing is, we don't even need to. I know it galls us but Ray Shero is right to be patient and wait for the right player for the team. There's no need to rush into anything.
That's debatable come playoff time. Everything would need to go right for that roster to be a cup roster. Tangradi would need to play great. Dupuis would need to come close to repeating last year's performance. Martin and Orpik would need to rebound and Niskanen and Despres would need to step up.

I hope that isn't the plan. But I agree with the general idea that we're better off waiting for the right deal to come along than just taking a deal because we need to do something.

Old
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I was thinking something like this...

"We are just going to bump Kennedy up & give the young guys Bennett & Tangraid a shot. Then we sit back a pray Kunitz or Neal don't get hurt because we will be totally boned if they do."
no I don't like that one

Old
07-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
We're a Stanley Cup favorite supposedly right? We must get through the Rags, Flyers, and NJ, who are all bigger, more physical than us right? And you're seriously comfortable with Paul frickin Martin on the top D pairing? You're also cool with Eric Tangradi, the man that has 1 goal in 40'some games in the top 6? We aren't going to intimidate or grind any teams down (like Boston can), and outside of about 3 guys, we don't have much scoring either.

I said many pages ago this team (currently constructed) will be fighting hard for a 7 or 8 seed, and that's assuming Sid and Geno stay completely healthy.

If we 'underachieve' again this year, it will be the end of Bylsma, and likely the end of Shero. He'll be free to build his minor league defensive dynasty elsewhere.
that bolded bit is very much wrong. We are a top 3 or 4 team in the east as things stand right now. I'd put us at 2 behind the Rangers but you could argue Boston and Philly. Anything worse than 5th would be badly underachieving.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosePuckingPenguins View Post
Orpik's play the last couple seasons has been underwhelming and I don't feel safe with throwing a couple of rookies in our defense for the season.
We could likely play 3-4 rookies most of the season and still make the playoffs. It wouldn't bother me at all to see 2 most of the season. Then shore things up at the deadline.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Flat Stanley

I don't think Paul Martin will be on the top pair with Letang. I think Despres will earn that spot, not just because Bylsma likes the idea, but because I think he is capable of earning top spot next year.

Then moving Orpik to the 2nd pair would improve our D, IMO.

Despres-Letang
Orpik-Niskanen
Martin-Engelland

Despres-Letang
Orpik-Martin
Niskanen-Engelland

Old
07-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Nikki Nine

I really don't think it's necessary to do something right now. The Stanley Cup isn't won in late July and who knows if there even is a season this coming fall.

Barring any unforseen incidents, Pittsburgh will be comfortably into the playoffs come March and it's a wonderful opportunity for Beau Bennett, Tyler Kennedy, Eric Tangradi or anyone else in the system to show that they can play with Sidney Crosby while Shero explores the trade market. Who knows what players might be available in January or if Pittsburgh even has a need for a winger at that time?

I understand that some of you want to have a finished product as early as possible but there are other possibilities that might not be as bad as you think.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:42 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Couldn't care less about regular season seeding. I want Cup!!! We have the two best players in the world. No more excuses if the team around them can't get it done.

Closed Thread