HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nationals, Wizards, DC United, O's, Ravens....DC area sports III

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Capitlols

vCash: 500

Old
01-15-2013, 02:29 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Nats signing Soriano?

If nothing else, I like the implication that the Lerners are willing to spend well over $100 mil on the payroll. Wonder if this means they want to package Morse + Clippard (or similar) to get a better return.

Don't like losing the 1st rounder (and the pool money) though.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:37 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Nats signing Soriano?

If nothing else, I like the implication that the Lerners are willing to spend well over $100 mil on the payroll. Wonder if this means they want to package Morse + Clippard (or similar) to get a better return.

Don't like losing the 1st rounder (and the pool money) though.
So Soriano will be seen as a set-up guy to Storen, or is Storen on notice with this signing?

Old
01-15-2013, 02:40 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Davey always talks about wanting an A and B bullpen. If he's true to that, they alternate I guess.

Who knows though.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:01 PM
WcRoenick97

This is how you run a team, Mr. Leonsis. Strike while the iron is hot.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:17 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

My favorite speculation is that they now want to do something like Morse/Storen/Det for Price. Dreamland, but it's fun to go there now and again.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Capitlols

$12.55MM AAV for Rafael Soriano?! Insane.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by WcRoenick97 View Post
This is how you run a team, Mr. Leonsis. Strike while the iron is hot.
Pay $14M per year for a reliever? On a team that already has a pretty good bullpen? I guess in a league with no cap you can make that sort of move. If you want to compare that to the Caps though, Mr. Leonsis actually did open his pocket book and has spent to the cap the last several years. That includes burying Nylander. He couldn't have just gone out and acquired someone like Gaborik back when he was a free agent. That would be about the best parallel I could draw. In a capped league, you really can't afford to overpay, especially when it isn't an area of need.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:12 PM
WcRoenick97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Pay $14M per year for a reliever? On a team that already has a pretty good bullpen? I guess in a league with no cap you can make that sort of move. If you want to compare that to the Caps though, Mr. Leonsis actually did open his pocket book and has spent to the cap the last several years. That includes burying Nylander. He couldn't have just gone out and acquired someone like Gaborik back when he was a free agent. That would be about the best parallel I could draw. In a capped league, you really can't afford to overpay, especially when it isn't an area of need.
LOL, QUE? What moves did the Caps make when they were winning the President's trophy and finishing first in the east? Were they adding that second line center we needed? Were they adding a top pairing D? No. Forgive me, but why did the Nats lose in Game 5? Their bullpen didn't blow it did they?? Oh wait, they did. Also, this gives Rizzo a lot more flexibility when it comes to trading Morse and packaging a righty. Rizzo/Lerner >>>>> McPhee/Ted. Never thought I would say it, but it's true. Oh and I won't even bring the Wizards into this conversation.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

14 mill for a bull pen pitcher is insane and a horrible contract. Do they lose draft picks in this signing?

but now that we are stuck with him the trade theory is interesting, I cant see tampa moving price but what a rotation we would have if we landed him with gio and stars

Old
01-15-2013, 06:38 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
14 mill for a bull pen pitcher is insane and a horrible contract. Do they lose draft picks in this signing?

but now that we are stuck with him the trade theory is interesting, I cant see tampa moving price but what a rotation we would have if we landed him with gio and stars
They lose their 1st (31 overall) for this signing. Plus the allotted pool money that comes with it.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:42 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

The Nats have the most talented roster in baseball. Doesn't guarantee them a chip obviously, but they've given themselves a hell of a chance to bring a title to DC in one of the premier four sports for the first time in two decades (respect to DC United though.) Very excited about the upcoming season. Our run prevention mechanisms are out of this world btw. Incredible staff, dominant pen potentially and tremendously athletic defensive players everywhere on the field. It'll be worth watching this club for defensive prowess alone.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:46 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Aggressive move by the Nationals. Sort of a luxury move but one they can afford atm. Hopefully Davey can save his BP a bit more than he did last year.

01-15-2013, 07:09 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
14 mill for a bull pen pitcher is insane and a horrible contract.

Just speaking from a contract perspective, an overpriced bullpen piece for the Nats means nothing right now. The money was going to be invested in the team for luxury items since the crux of the roster is already set or added to the Lerners' already incredibly well-stocked coffers. Last year with a payroll north of 90 million dollars the Nats likely made 50 or 60 million dollars in profit when you factor in their television deal, gate revenue, revenue sharing, mlb's national television deals, huge uptick in team store merchandise sales etc. Maybe more than that (Forbes annually projects the profits clubs bring in, but since clubs arent required to disclose earnings, Forbes can't really give an exact figure.) The television deal is increasing appreciably no matter what transpires with the MASN situation (and could increase substantially if things break the Nats way), new national t.v. contracts have been negotiated that will offer a significant bump to teams in the forthcoming years, the Nats attendance, which was up about 30 percent last season (the second highest gain in baseball), is undoubtedly going to increase perhaps appreciably this season, merchandise sales in-park are probably going to go up proportionally as well, and of course the Lerners' are insanely wealthy away from baseball thanks to having the foresight to build the preeminent shopping center in what's essentially a recession proof metro area (a huge metro area that happens to be the wealthiest metro area in the country on a per capita basis. A metro area that's also one of the two or three fastest growing metro areas in the country.)

Point is, they can damn sure afford this pittance of a contract (for them of course.) If you want to argue that perhaps the money could've been allocated better (like in an extension for Zimmermann), that's fine, but really, they can do both. Very soon, perhaps even right now this club could carry a 150 million dollar payroll and still turn a profit going forward. The elder Lerner is getting up there in years, so perhaps he wants to give this thing a legitimate go, and I applaud him for that. Not to mention the fact that this city and area deserve to have a team other than the Redskins behave like a big market club so I applaud the fact that right now our payroll projects to around 120 mil (although as Brs noted, there could be moves forthcoming that'll trim that number a bit).

Last edited by TheFountainhead: 01-15-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 07:16 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

One of the LA teams has the most talented roster in baseball. Not the Bats.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:59 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
One of the LA teams has the most talented roster in baseball. Not the Bats.
Agree to disagree.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Josh Hamilton and Zack Grenkie both signed for 15 mill per year.

One plays every day for 15mill
One pitches 200+ innings for 15mil

if you think 14 mill and a 1st round pick for 60 innings of 2.5 era is good spending you prolly think the cubs are a well run team

Old
01-15-2013, 08:04 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

It's 7, 7, and then 14 5 years from now. The time value and total commitment matter, especially to a guy like Ted Lerner.

Not that I think the Nats had any particular need for Soriano nor am I happy to see the pick gone. But you can't compare the Dodgers'/Angels' signings with this one; AAV is meaningless in baseball when you're below the luxury tax.

Last edited by brs03: 01-15-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 08:10 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Josh Hamilton and Zack Grenkie both signed for 15 mill per year.

One plays every day for 15mill
One pitches 200+ innings for 15mil

if you think 14 mill and a 1st round pick for 60 innings of 2.5 era is good spending you prolly think the cubs are a well run team
Of course their contracts required term as well as annual salary to get them to sign on the dotted line. Pretty significant difference between two years at that number and the respective years both of those individuals have committed to them. Also, I didn't address the pick concession, just the admittedly excessive salary figure.

Btw, I do think that the Cubs are well run. Theo ftw.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:45 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I love the move, personally. What a pitching staff.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:59 AM
EroCaps

Rizzo just impresses. That roster led by Davey Johnson has crazy potential. They still have assets coming back for Morse, too. Great stuff.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:42 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by WcRoenick97 View Post
LOL, QUE? What moves did the Caps make when they were winning the President's trophy and finishing first in the east? Were they adding that second line center we needed? Were they adding a top pairing D? No. Forgive me, but why did the Nats lose in Game 5? Their bullpen didn't blow it did they?? Oh wait, they did. Also, this gives Rizzo a lot more flexibility when it comes to trading Morse and packaging a righty. Rizzo/Lerner >>>>> McPhee/Ted. Never thought I would say it, but it's true. Oh and I won't even bring the Wizards into this conversation.
Money for those players doesn't appear out of nowhere though. When you are in a league with a cap, you can't have superstars at every position. Ted opened up his pocketbook as far as he could. You're trying to draw parallels to situations where the rules are different. That's not a fair comparison in my book.

Now, if Ted had been like someone such as Loria and was raking in big profits but was in the bottom 1/3 of spending, I could see the whining as more valid.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:45 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFountainhead View Post
Of course their contracts required term as well as annual salary to get them to sign on the dotted line. Pretty significant difference between two years at that number and the respective years both of those individuals have committed to them. Also, I didn't address the pick concession, just the admittedly excessive salary figure.

Btw, I do think that the Cubs are well run. Theo ftw.
Just out of curiosity, what moves has Theo made in Chicago that gives you the impression that the Cubs are being well run?

Old
01-16-2013, 07:53 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

14 mil a year for a reliever? Obviously Rizzo hasn't read Lewis's Moneyball and Billy Beane's perspective on relievers.

As a Mets fan and knowing the Mets history with Latin closers, KROD, Armando Benitez and currently Frank Francisco, I'd be a tad hesitant with your jubilation at this moment Nats fans.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:55 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Rizzo just impresses. That roster led by Davey Johnson has crazy potential. They still have assets coming back for Morse, too. Great stuff.
Nats fans are over valuing what they believe Morse might return. I've heard some on the radio talking about a pitcher and prospects. I don't see such a return coming for him.

Closed Thread