HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nationals, Wizards, DC United, O's, Ravens....DC area sports III

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Duke33

vCash: 500
Well looks like the Nats offensive woes might be over.

Old
08-31-2012, 09:32 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Well looks like the Nats offensive woes might be over.
Serious hitting the past two games. Go Nationals.

Nice to see the O's in the hunt as they were my team in the 90s.

08-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Serious hitting the past two games. Go Nationals.

Nice to see the O's in the hunt as they were my team in the 90s.
For some reason they always seem to bomb the Cardinals when they play them here n DC, but the Nats have roughed up some decent pitchers as well. Be nice if they could take 3 of 4 total and then the abysmal Cubs come in for 4 games. Phillies taking Atlanta to extras tonight.

Meh, I can't ever feel good about the O's with Angelos's constant and ultimately failed efforts to block DC from getting a team. Add to that the Orioles are getting no support from their fan base. I was up there the other night in great weather with a good team in town and there were less than 14k in the park. I don't buy the "fans are still disenchanted" excuse. I mean it's September and it's a playoff race and they finally have some good young talent. But they still aren't supporting them.

Old
08-31-2012, 10:58 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

Meh, I can't ever feel good about the O's with Angelos's constant and ultimately failed efforts to block DC from getting a team. Add to that the Orioles are getting no support from their fan base. I was up there the other night in great weather with a good team in town and there were less than 14k in the park. I don't buy the "fans are still disenchanted" excuse. I mean it's September and it's a playoff race and they finally have some good young talent. But they still aren't supporting them.
And yet, the mighty Nationals, with their brand new ballpark and best record in baseball, fill a whopping 71.8% of their stadium for home games. They average less than 5k more fans than the O's.

Those in glass houses...

Old
08-31-2012, 11:14 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
And yet, the mighty Nationals, with their brand new ballpark and best record in baseball, fill a whopping 71.8% of their stadium for home games. They average less than 5k more fans than the O's.

Those in glass houses...
Come on now despite a horrible owner Redskins still king... More of a discussion next season how far the Nationals go and start to imprint winning in general. I know your post was more in response to an O's criticism post but agreed there is work to do on the Nationals side.

Old
09-01-2012, 07:34 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:

Those in glass houses...
They've still seen the fastest growth in the league in that respect (and among the fastest in growth for TV ratings as well, IINM).

That's pretty good considering how much of their fanbase used to belong to the O's and how this is the first time the team has ever been good.

Old
09-01-2012, 10:37 AM
hyzer23

42-27...nattys killin it on the road. that'll come in handy come post-season

Old
09-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Nice job Nats. Same can't be said about Maryland football.

http://twitter.com/edsbs/statuses/242005562273968128

Quote:
Such a jolly visual. RT @sportspickle: Somewhere Ralph Friedgen is laughing and rolling cookie dough.

Old
09-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Millhaus

Quote:

Those in glass houses...
Come on man the 1 game under .500 Nats of last year put as many people in the building each game as the currently 14 games over .500 schmOs. And how can you act like 5000 fans is nothing when it equates to 20% of Baltimore's current average attendance?

Plus as we all know, there are no baseball fans in DC, that's a fiction. So that makes the number of fans the Nats are pulling in even more impressive...

Old
09-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Come on man the 1 game under .500 Nats of last year put as many people in the building each game as the currently 14 games over .500 schmOs. And how can you act like 5000 fans is nothing when it equates to 20% of Baltimore's current average attendance?

Plus as we all know, there are no baseball fans in DC, that's a fiction. So that makes the number of fans the Nats are pulling in even more impressive...
Exactly. Besides...28,000 or thirty-something thousand is a heck of a lot better than a pathetic 13k-something on a gorgeous summer night with a team making a run at the Yankees and a first place opponent in town.

But watch, they'll make the playoffs and suddenly all these disenchanted fans will come back in droves and we'll hear about the great fan base, blah blah blah.

Old
09-02-2012, 01:11 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

It takes time to heal the kind of damage Angelos has done. It's hard to get a city excited about a team that has done so poorly for so long. The fans didn't come back to the Capitals until after they reached the playoffs. The Orioles also don't have a Stephen Strasburg or Bryce Harper to attract the fans. Adam Jones and Matt Wieters aren't quite the same PR phenoms as the whiz kids in DC.

Old
09-02-2012, 09:20 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Exactly. Besides...28,000 or thirty-something thousand is a heck of a lot better than a pathetic 13k-something on a gorgeous summer night with a team making a run at the Yankees and a first place opponent in town.

But watch, they'll make the playoffs and suddenly all these disenchanted fans will come back in droves and we'll hear about the great fan base, blah blah blah.
Yup, one game that you went to is emblematic of the whole season's attendance. It's not 29k vs. 24k per game, like the facts actually say. Not to mention, DC and its suburbs is much more populous than Baltimore and its suburbs, as well as being significantly more recession proof.

But hey, don't let that stop you from being a tool. Your life-long fandom of the Nats has earned you that right.

Old
09-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Fans should show up for games involving playoff-contending teams. That simple

The Orioles are doing well enough that there's no excuse for lackluster attendance. I barely saw anyone during one of those O's - White Sox games a few days ago. Come on...show up fans

Old
09-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Fans should show up for games involving playoff-contending teams. That simple

The Orioles are doing well enough that there's no excuse for lackluster attendance. I barely saw anyone during one of those O's - White Sox games a few days ago. Come on...show up fans
In one of those games even the MASN O's announcers made some remark about the weak turnout and how they were surprised it was continuing despite the comfortable weather and the fact Baltimore was making a move in the standings.

Old
09-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
It takes time to heal the kind of damage Angelos has done. It's hard to get a city excited about a team that has done so poorly for so long. The fans didn't come back to the Capitals until after they reached the playoffs. The Orioles also don't have a Stephen Strasburg or Bryce Harper to attract the fans. Adam Jones and Matt Wieters aren't quite the same PR phenoms as the whiz kids in DC.
Are you seriously equating Washington as a hockey town to Baltimore as a baseball town? Seriously...?

I understand why your average SchmO's fan would have a hard time getting on board after Angelos' shenanigans but this is a very exciting young O's team and it is disappointing IMO that such a baseball town wouldn't be supporting the first good team a while, and a very good at that, a decent amount more enthusiastically.

But whatever...

Old
09-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Are you seriously equating Washington as a hockey town to Baltimore as a baseball town? Seriously...?

I understand why your average SchmO's fan would have a hard time getting on board after Angelos' shenanigans but this is a very exciting young O's team and it is disappointing IMO that such a baseball town wouldn't be supporting the first good team a while, and a very good at that, a decent amount more enthusiastically.

But whatever...
I was just giving an example of the situation at hand, with a team I knew you'd be familiar with. I wasn't equating Washington with Baltimore in any respect.

But Baltimore hasn't been a baseball town in a while. It was a baseball team when it had an annually competitive team who was the only show in town. Since then the Orioles have tanked and the NFL has returned. It's hardly a baseball town any more, nor has it been for a while.

Old
09-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:

Those in glass houses...
The Nationals are 14th in the MLB for percentage and average attendance (~30K). Not too bad, much improved. I thought they would still be lower. This season should help them with season tickets, hopefully, moving forward.

Some great pitching lately. Detwiler was fantastic today. I'll be heading to see Gio pitch on Wednesday.

Old
09-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

The worst pet peeve for me is seeing empty seats. It's not good to see on television. It's a poor environment for the players, it shows lack of support especially in a playoff race. It's sickening. Fans don't have to like Angelos, but show up, support the players on the field during a race. Make it an amazing atmosphere.

Anyway, Virginia Tech won today, but barely. Worried that this team will not have that type of luck again, and will falter to someone else. Good win, though

Old
09-04-2012, 08:35 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
LaRoche is 3 for 3 so far tonight. Do the Nats resign him or let him walk and put Morse at 1st?

Old
09-04-2012, 08:50 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
LaRoche is 3 for 3 so far tonight. Do the Nats resign him or let him walk and put Morse at 1st?
Can't remember if either the player or the team (LaRouche) have an option next year. If he is a FA man I'd probably go with Morse at 1st and loose a little D. Guess Morse's contract situ is always something to consider but must admit not up to speed with the contracts next season.

Old
09-04-2012, 08:56 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

The option is a mutual one. Morse is signed through next season at a reasonable price (6 mil?)

If they're serious about pursuing someone like Bourne (I think he'll be overpaid and hope the Nats stay away but who knows) they can afford to be selective at 1st. Keep Laroche and trade Morse, or let Laroche walk and move Morse to 1st. Maybe offer Laroche a QO to try and get a draft pick, and let him make the choice for you.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Old
09-04-2012, 10:28 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Die Yankees, heh. A universal truth.

Old
09-04-2012, 10:32 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

I can't help but get the feeling they are peaking too soon and will fall back to earth.

Right?

Sure is fun though.

Old
09-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Capitlols

The four game series against the Yanks will determine the season.

Closed Thread