HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

From Vapors to Supremes: my experience

Old
07-26-2012, 10:54 AM
mikeinpa
Rookie User

vCash: 500
From Vapors to Supremes: my experience

Hello all. Brand new member here. I thought Id share my experience of switching from the Vapor line to the Supreme line, which we all know are two vastly different models. I hope this post might help those of you contemplating a change in skates. First a little background:

I play forward (usually left wing) in a local rec league. I'm 5'11 & 175lbs. While Ive been skating now for ~25 years, I have only been playing competitive hockey for a quarter of that time. I'd describe myself as a pretty good skater in terms of agility, form and speed. This is important for my upcoming review. In terms of my feet, I have a very narrow and pronounced heel, a high arch and an average forefoot. All in all, i'd describe my foot as more narrow than wide. I also use the green superfeet.

A few years ago I started using the Bauer Vapor line, starting with the X30's and later upgrading to the X50's. I chose the Vapor line due to their narrower boot and their supposed speed/acceleration, which I believe they lived up to. Recently my x50's have been giving me some trouble. Regardless of how tight I tied the laces, my heel was no longer as secure as it had once been. This resulted in a loss of power in each stride as I raced up and down the ice, something that I was not okay with. I felt like I was giving 100% physically, but only getting 80% in return. With that my search for new skates began.

I went to my LHS to look at Graf's after learning how well they secure the skater's foot. I tried on a few pairs and was not entirely impressed. Graf's are very shallow skates, something I had never been used to and not in the mood to try. To my surprise the LHS salesmen pointed me to the Supreme line, stating that while the boot is generally wider, the heel is actually tighter than the Vapor line. They brought out a pair for me to try on. Their Supreme inventory was light at the time I was there, but they did have a pair of one100 LE's in my size (9.5d) and they just happened to be on sale. I tried them on and immediately fell in love! They were so much more comfortable than my Vapors. They were a little flashy for me as I like to keep a low profile on the ice. Nevertheless, I decided to buy them.

The first time out in the skates I began to wonder if I had made a mistake. The boot was considerably more stiff than my Vapors. Also, the extra length of the LS2.1 runner was throwing me off. Once I got used to these changes, however, I knew I had made the right decision.

Here is my feeling on the Supreme line, especially those with the LS2.1 runners. They are excellent for skaters who rely on stride over foot speed. I would go as far as to say that the one100's would not work well for beginners. By that I mean that the skate is not as forgiving as the Vapors and really force you to skate well. If you do skate well - knees bent, forward pitch, productive strides - you will see a marked improvement in your overall skating with the Supremes. Needless to say, I am happy to have become a Supreme guy.

Thanks for reading.

mikeinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:07 AM
TUCKER 06

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I was heavily considering going from my Vapor x:4.0/5.0 hybrids to either one80s or one100s this year, but was unsure of the repercussions this may have on my skating.

I have been hearing about how much stiffer the boot is and was also curious as to how the LS 2.1 runner would affect my skating. I personally believe I rely more upon a strong stride as opposed to quick foot movement.

What's holding me back is the fact that I just bought a ring for my fiance, so funds are somewhat limited at this point in time (and for the near future). Ah well. Hopefully I can save up a little extra cash for next year.

One thing that caught my attention was that you said that the Supreme line is a little too flashy for your taste. I couldn't believe you'd say that after coming from Vapors lol! I almost couldn't bring myself to purchase my skates because of all the silver/grey on them. They are WAY too flashy for my preference and I much prefer the look of the Supreme line to the Vapors.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:48 AM
mikeinpa
Rookie User

That's true. The Vapors are a bit flashy, arent they. The Supreme line in itself isn't that flashy, but the one100LE really stands out. Black boot on black TUUK holder with "Limited Edition" clearly visable. Don't get me wrong, the skates are gorgeous!

Considering your skating style, I really think you'd benefit from trying the Supreme line with the LS2.1 runner. You'll get a lot more out of your stride.

Congrats on the proposal

Old
07-26-2012, 11:59 AM
TUCKER 06

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I must have missed the "LE" part when I was reading your post, but I agree with you that the black TUUK holders are more flashy than the white.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I am the same height & weight as you, so I find your review very relevant.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:07 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Good info, thanks.

I am currently in Vapor 30s and I'm planning on making the switch to a higher end boot this winter. I will be looking at both the Vapor and Supreme lines so this is a good read.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

I'm wearing One100s. Love them; best skate I've ever owned. I originally wanted Vapors but they were too narrow as I'm flat footed with a wider foot. I bought the Supremes and added yellow Superfeet and have never been happier. Waxed laces help keep them tight about the ankle. I dont have black holders though-sounds pretty sweet.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I'm thinking of upgrading to the One100s if they have any leftovers in local stores.

They should be ridiculously cheap right now.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:43 PM
mikeinpa
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
I'm wearing One100s. Love them; best skate I've ever owned. I originally wanted Vapors but they were too narrow as I'm flat footed with a wider foot. I bought the Supremes and added yellow Superfeet and have never been happier. Waxed laces help keep them tight about the ankle. I dont have black holders though-sounds pretty sweet.
I just realized that I stated that I wore the green Superfeet in my initial post. I actually wear the yellow. The green is in pair of my shoes.

Old
07-26-2012, 02:35 PM
AIREAYE

It simply seems that the Supreme boot and heel fit you better. You can get stiff skates and 2.1 steel in any Vapor skate and you can modify your One100s to feel like your Vapors by profiling/pitching the steel. The speed and stride thing are just marketing lingo, you can change aspects of the steel/holder freely.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:56 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

thanks for the info, i am going to switch from my vapors to either the nexus or the supreme line. since i have a wide and flat foot i need some extra space. i tried skating with my dads flexlites and liked them except it seemed as if they had a narrow heel as well. i am guessing the nexus is the new flexlite?

vapor:narrow foot but wider heel?
supreme: wider foot but narrower heel?
nexus/flexlite: wider foot and narrow heel as well??

Thanks if you can respond to this at all

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:46 AM
mikeinpa
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
thanks for the info, i am going to switch from my vapors to either the nexus or the supreme line. since i have a wide and flat foot i need some extra space. i tried skating with my dads flexlites and liked them except it seemed as if they had a narrow heel as well. i am guessing the nexus is the new flexlite?

vapor:narrow foot but wider heel?
supreme: wider foot but narrower heel?
nexus/flexlite: wider foot and narrow heel as well??

Thanks if you can respond to this at all
I'm pretty sure the Nexus replaced the Flexlite. I tried on a pair of Nexus's and felt that they were a bit too wide in the forefoot area. Go to your LHS and ask to try on both the Nexus and Supreme. I felt the Supreme to be a such a comfortable fit for my foot, but that's just me.