HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

[#7] Voting -- HFStars 2012 Top-20 Prospects -- [#8] Discussion

View Poll Results: Who's the Stars' #7 prospect?
Bystrom 2 4.35%
Eakin 24 52.17%
Fraser 3 6.52%
Glennie 4 8.70%
Guptill 0 0%
Molin 0 0%
Ritchie 0 0%
Shore 0 0%
A. Smith 0 0%
R. Smith 11 23.91%
Stransky 2 4.35%
Winther 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-25-2012, 03:49 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
[#7] Voting -- HFStars 2012 Top-20 Prospects -- [#8] Discussion

‏‏‏‏ 
pos.
country
acquired
round
change
% of vote
 ‏‏‏‏Jack Campbell
G
1st
 ‏‏‏‏Jamie Oleksiak
D
1st
 ‏‏‏‏Alex Chiasson
RW
2nd
 ‏‏‏‏Radek Faksa
C
1st
new
 ‏‏‏‏Brenden Dillon
D
FA
 ‏‏‏‏Patrik Nemeth
D
2nd

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:00 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
This will be a landslide for Eakin, who I like. But I'm still going Fraser, as I think he has more upside and isn't much further off from the NHL.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:04 PM
BigG44

Would be interesting to see Eakin, Glennie, and Fraser go the next three. Could be Dallas' future Peg line.

Hopefully Winnipeg gets to the West ASAP. I'm sure they'd dominate the Jets .... showoffs.

I think I'm going Glennie, Eakin, and Reilly for the next three though.

Old
07-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Fly Like a C5

vCash: 500
7. Eakin
8. Fraser - I know he has some issues with his skating and defense, but he knows how to score goals. The skating and defensive issues can be worked out. Starting the season in Cedar Park will be good for him, and I think he'll be one of the first call ups.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Phil Connors*

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on Fraser. 37 goals in the AHL isn't bad. Is he sniping those or just pick up garbage/crashing the net?

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:36 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
Can anyone give me a quick rundown on Fraser. 37 goals in the AHL isn't bad. Is he sniping those or just pick up garbage/crashing the net?
Cin is a better reference, but the few games I saw where he scored he has a very good, "goal scorer's" shot.

His only flaws are defense and skating, but hard work usually can fix that. As long as he's committed to bust his *** in the off-season, that shouldn't hold him back from the NHL. My only knock ... and it's probably nitpicking ... is why hasn't he done anything about the skating yet? Guys like Jamie Benn and Alex Chiasson with obvious skating flaws essentially put that label behind them pretty quickly. I don't know enough about Fraser's career before Dallas though. Maybe he dealt with off-season injuries when he was younger that prevented him from training to his best ability in the summer.

Old
07-25-2012, 04:37 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Would be interesting to see Eakin, Glennie, and Fraser go the next three. Could be Dallas' future Peg line.

Hopefully Winnipeg gets to the West ASAP. I'm sure they'd dominate the Jets .... showoffs.

I think I'm going Glennie, Eakin, and Reilly for the next three though.
I'm a bonehead. I just realized I confused Garbutt's home with Fraser. Fraser isn't from Winnipeg. The three Peg guys are Eakin, Glennie, and Garbutt.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:48 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Can't vote yet, but it'll be Eakin here easy.

R. Smith is next for me. Him and Fraser are both mostly goal scorers, but Smith seems more well rounded and I think he'll have a better career.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:06 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Eakin going 7th, very nice prospect pool

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
He's a defense's worst nightmare. He's a player who is just always in the right place to score, and it's not luck. He's one of the few who can see the game ahead of everybody else, so it looks like he's a magnet for the puck. Good shot helps too.

Holy crap our prospect pool is deep when our number 8 has 37 goals in the AHL.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Everyone *****es about his skating but it's already improved from what it was & going to gary roberts camp will only make it better. I'm not making the exact comparison but Brett Hull didn't have good skating but knew where to go on the ice and had a way above average shot just like Fraser. I see him more as a Ryder clone but regardless his offense makes up for his defincies which I think are overblown. Scoring matters and his shot plus positioning is more than acceptable.

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:44 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Everyone *****es about his skating but it's already improved from what it was & going to gary roberts camp will only make it better. I'm not making the exact comparison but Brett Hull didn't have good skating but knew where to go on the ice and had a way above average shot just like Fraser. I see him more as a Ryder clone but regardless his offense makes up for his defincies which I think are overblown. Scoring matters and his shot plus positioning is more than acceptable.
This. Its why I've been voting him since #5. 37 goals at the AHL level >>>>>> anything the remaining forward prospects have proven.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:23 AM
Dave Karp

vCash: 940
Eakin and then Fraser. I'd like to rank Glennie next after Eakin due to his draft pedigree but you cannot dispute Fraser's scoring prowess in the AHL.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:37 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Karp View Post
Eakin and then Fraser. I'd like to rank Glennie next after Eakin due to his draft pedigree but you cannot dispute Fraser's scoring prowess in the AHL.
Draft pedigree should mean absolutely nothing outside of the most recent draftees. If it didn't, Glennie would be a better prospect than Chiasson, R. Smith, and Vincour, which clearly isn't true.

The one thing that Glennie has on most of our other forwards is that he's more of a playmaker than a sniper. Fraser and R. Smith are primarily goal scorers, and I wouldn't expect Chiasson to be one either. That's the one hole we have in our organization at this point, a playmaking winger, which is why I think Glennie will eventually have a spot in the NHL.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:20 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post

The one thing that Glennie has on most of our other forwards is that he's more of a playmaker than a sniper. Fraser and R. Smith are primarily goal scorers, and I wouldn't expect Chiasson to be one either. That's the one hole we have in our organization at this point, a playmaking winger, which is why I think Glennie will eventually have a spot in the NHL.
By all accounts isn't Chiasson a playmaking winger?

Old
07-26-2012, 05:18 AM
English stars fan

Went Eakin here. Next up is a real tricky one. Glennie, Smith and Fraser all around a similar level. For me I think Fraser takes it though. 37 goals in the A is not to be sniffed at and if he can work out his skating and defense there's no reason he couldn't be a perennial 20 goal guy. I see Smith and Glennie being perhaps more rounded 2-way players who may well prove to me more valuable long term, but Fraser has and always has had that goalscoring touch at ever level.

English stars fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:31 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
By all accounts isn't Chiasson a playmaking winger?
Just based on the times I watched him at BU, I wouldn't label him a sniper or a playmaker because he's not a one trick pony. He does it all. He has a well rounded offensive game to go along with his polished defensive game.

At the NCAA level with BU, he seemed to be the Terriers version of Loui Eriksson. They don't exactly play identical games (like Jere and Loui do), but they both are (were in Chiasson's case) the primary guy you could put in any situation for their team. In Chiasson's case, he had the added dimension of being his teams top faceoff threat. I've never seen faceoff stats for the NCAA, but in the games I watched he consistently dominated in the faceoff circle.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:15 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Reilly Smith hands down. Has 25-30 goal potential and is defensively responsible. Killed penalties for Miami this year. also went through a drought where the team overall was struggling he easily could've had 40 goals this year

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

I got Reilly Smith here. I don't know what everybody sees in Eakin, but I hope he meets the expectations posters here have for him.

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
I got Reilly Smith here. I don't know what everybody sees in Eakin, but I hope he meets the expectations posters here have for him.
I'm going to vote for Guptill or Ritchie or Glennie before I vote for Reilly Smith.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:58 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Most are picking Eakin because at the absolute worst, he's an average 3rd line center. Probably the safest prospect in our pool ATM.

Old
07-26-2012, 02:20 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Most are picking Eakin because at the absolute worst, he's an average 3rd line center. Probably the safest prospect in our pool ATM.
I could very easily see him have a Toby Petersen type career

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 02:21 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
I'm going to vote for Guptill or Ritchie or Glennie before I vote for Reilly Smith.
58 goals in his last 2 years of college didnt impress you?

Old
07-26-2012, 03:05 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
58 goals in his last 2 years of college didnt impress you?
Just being devils advocate here because I'm a Reilly Smith fan, but if that argument works then Austin Smith would be in the discussion too and likely considered higher than Reilly. NCAA production isn't the end all be all in prospects IMO.

I think it's fair to say those 3 players he mentioned along with Reilly Smith are all very impressive, and it wouldn't be a major knock on any of them to rate one higher than the other.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:14 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Just being devils advocate here because I'm a Reilly Smith fan, but if that argument works then Austin Smith would be in the discussion too and likely considered higher than Reilly. NCAA production isn't the end all be all in prospects IMO.

I think it's fair to say those 3 players he mentioned along with Reilly Smith are all very impressive, and it wouldn't be a major knock on any of them to rate one higher than the other.
Austin Smith scored 36 goals as a 23 year old senior in the ECAC.
Reilly Smith scored 30 goals as a 20 year old junior (austin only scored 10 as a junior) in the CCHA. Two year totals Reilly Smith 58 goals Austin Smith 46. Reilly Smiths performances blows Austins out of the water.