HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

10 Teams Still Under Cap Floor

Old
07-27-2012, 05:47 AM
mytor4*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
while i agree, i am not sure what requirements the league looks at in regards to trade. I might be way of but i seem to remember a trade being voided concerning the devils trying to get rid of a contract. Cap circumvention. anyways i also havent kept track of the additions to cap dump acquisitions. I seem to remember a couple getting 2nd rounders with the dump.
I would like to see this trade you seem to remember.
I can't recall any trade being voided because one team is dumping a big'bad contract to another team .Don't think that is considered cap circumvention.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:55 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Isn't Detroit like 25M under the cap ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:58 AM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
This is possible one of the most dumbest idea's i have read on these boards.
If small market teams can't even reach the cap floor than they shouldn't even be in the league.If anyone thinks that [ example ] the Habs are going to have give up value assets for a team needing to trade for Gomez there following the wrong sport.
Ever think if the Coyotes had a better management in place they wouldn't be in the predicument they are in.
Sorry but he's definitely right and I can see this being used down the road. Do you really think a team is going to take on Gomez and that contract for nothing? What happens when some of these players with long term contracts start to decline to the point where the team needs to trade them to make other improvments to the team?A team under the cap can just overpay some free agents with a yr contract to make it to the cap floor, they don't have to help other teams get out of their bad contracts. I know yr going to say why would a FA sign the one yr deal. They would to get overpayed and get traded as a rental to a playoff team at the end of the season. If they play well in the playoffs, they would be in good position to receive another overpayment of a contract with longer term.

Last edited by Oshie97: 07-27-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Oshie97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:05 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Sorry but he's definitely right and I can see this being used down the road. Do you really think a team is going to take on Gomez and that contract for nothing? What happens when some of these players with long term contracts start to decline to the point where the team needs to trade them to make other improvments to the team?A team under the cap can just overpay some free agents with a yr contract to make it to the cap floor, they don't have to help other teams get out of their bad contracts.
He's right about that except not small market teams. Big market teams who are rebuilding, this is something they can consider. Accepting cap dumps is certainly an asset that has been done in trades before...LA took Oleg Tverdovsky from the Canes as a cap dump...part of the Gleason for Jack Johnson deal.

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:08 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
Sorry but he's definitely right and I can see this being used down the road. Do you really think a team is going to take on Gomez and that contract for nothing? What happens when some of these players with long term contracts start to decline to the point where the team needs to trade them to make other improvments to the team?A team under the cap can just overpay some free agents with a yr contract to make it to the cap floor, they don't have to help other teams get out of their bad contracts.
First off the team with these bad contracts are their own doing.Also the Coyotes don't have to take Gomez's contract for nothing.That is decided between the two teams in what each other are willing to trade for,not the league saying you have to take or give this.
Next if i decide that i want to trade a player with a bad contract and another team is interrested in that player ,why should i have to give up valuable assets if the other team is willing to do a straight up trade.
Trying to make it mandatory to give up assets when trading a so call bad contract will never happen.
Dumbest idea i have read yet to date.
If i need to reach the cap floor and can do so by trading a 7th rd pick fo Thomas or Gomez what give the league the right to say to Boston or Montreal that they HAVE TO INCLUDE MORE going to the Coyotes.NEVER NEVER.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:13 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

For Nashville, Capgeek only has 5 defensemen listed on their roster, so they'll be over the floor even if they don't sign anyone else. But they'll probably bring in a 2nd pairing dman.

Andrei Kostitsyn is 100% not coming back.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:29 AM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
First off the team with these bad contracts are their own doing.Also the Coyotes don't have to take Gomez's contract for nothing.That is decided between the two teams in what each other are willing to trade for,not the league saying you have to take or give this.
Next if i decide that i want to trade a player with a bad contract and another team is interrested in that player ,why should i have to give up valuable assets if the other team is willing to do a straight up trade.
Trying to make it mandatory to give up assets when trading a so call bad contract will never happen.
Dumbest idea i have read yet to date.
If i need to reach the cap floor and can do so by trading a 7th rd pick fo Thomas or Gomez what give the league the right to say to Boston or Montreal that they HAVE TO INCLUDE MORE going to the Coyotes.NEVER NEVER.
You are really incoherent. Try reading next time. I never said the league would make anyone give or take anything. It is between the two teams. A overpayed player on the decline is not going to entice anyone to trade for them unless they have assets coming with them. Why would the Coyotes trade a 7th for Gomez when they can overpay a FA and be out of the contract by the end of the yr? The FA would benefit them more and not help a competitor.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
He's right about that except not small market teams. Big market teams who are rebuilding, this is something they can consider. Accepting cap dumps is certainly an asset that has been done in trades before...LA took Oleg Tverdovsky from the Canes as a cap dump...part of the Gleason for Jack Johnson deal.
I agree usually big market teams do this more often than smaller ones but LA taking Tverdovsky is a perfect example of a team giving up assets to get rid of a bad contract.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:57 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Gee, I guess I shouldn't of said Gomez was useless afterall.

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:02 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 136
it has been suggested that the current cap ceiling and cap floor could be rejigged under the NEW cba where there is no longer a cap floor or ceiling and for teams to get revenue sharing their payroll and tickets sales will be looked at

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:03 AM
CB Joe

There will be a new CBA before the season starts. Most likely the cap and/or the cap floor will be lowered.

Last edited by CB Joe: 07-27-2012 at 08:33 AM.
CB Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:04 AM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
Ottawa is going to restructure Alfie's contract. Give him more money.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:07 AM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
There is be a new CBA before the season starts. Most likely the cap and/or the cap floor will be lowered.
Even if it's lowered wouldn't that be negated by the players salaries decreasing?

Old
07-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Even if it's lowered wouldn't that be negated by the players salaries decreasing?
Was thinking the same thing. I just can't see there not being some sort of base salary reduction associated with a cap/floor shift unless its like 3 million or less and they include an amnesty.

It's not that I particularly care whether you force teams to get under/over when provided appropriate time to do so, but it's entirely possible that this negotiation goes late into the summer, training camp or a lockout. There's just no way to reasonably expect teams to be able to add/subtract salary over such a short time frame to become cap compliant.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frea_K View Post
Ottawa is going to restructure Alfie's contract. Give him more money.
That still won't change this year's cap hit.

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:05 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 306
As you mentioned Kane gets the Jets easily past the floor this season. Chevy needs to be careful with is resources as after next season Enstrom, Bogosian, Wheeler, Little and Burmi will all need new contracts. While they can shed some salary (Antro, Hainsey), overall they will have to spend a lot more money to keep their core together.

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:07 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Was looking at capgeek, and was kinda shocked at how many teams still need to hit the cap floor (54.2M). Anyways, this thread is to see how each team is gonna hit that magic number. Most teams are very close and have an RFA or two to sign that'll put them over,

Most of this is obvious if you just look at the numbers, but from the teams who aren't one RFA or a 4th liner away from being over, I'd like to hear how you plan on getting over the cap floor.
If the cap ceiling is $61m under the new cba, then I would expect the floor to be $16m-$20m less then the ceiling. That would make the cap floor $41m-$45m.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...s_this_summer/
Over the past couple of weeks, reports have appeared suggesting the NHL salary cap, under the current collective bargaining agreement (CBA), could increase as high as $69 million for 2012-13, and if the NHLPA uses its right to escalate that figure by five percent, to potentially $72 million.

That number, however, could be temporary, for it’s expected the league will seek to reduce the players share of revenue, from the current 57 percent down to around 50 percent, in the next CBA, which would mean a salary rollback to facilitate a reduction of the cap ceiling and floor.

Johnson also noted a $69 million cap “implies $61 million midpoint” on around $107 million/team revenue. He concluded (and Mirtle concurred) a new mid-point would be $53.5 million, so the new cap ceiling would be $61.5 million.”

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:18 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

This isn't the forum for CBA discussion but the NHL players aren't taking a rollback again. The NBA players and NFL players didn't accept a rollback in salaries when they accepted a % cut.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:21 AM
gmyx

FYI, Ottawa with Buttler's buyout is 3 791 667 short of the floor. his cap hit is 1 050 000$ but the buyout caphit this year is 50 000$.

gmyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:25 AM
Ishad

Quote:
I can see the cap coming down, I don't see players accepting another roll back.

Ishad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Vitto79

In the new agreement will the cap not go down?
Also will teams not likely be able to buy out crap contracts and have it not go on the cap? Reddem , Gomez? Thomas may be moved or he may be just bought out like these guys and not on the cap

going to be interesting. No good UFAs left though

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:54 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishad View Post
I can see the cap coming down, I don't see players accepting another roll back.
And that possibility (lower cap w/o rollback) is why no teams are going to scramble to reach the floor now.

Not only will it be easier to reach the floor, but there will probably be additional players available as teams scramble to get under the new cap.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:54 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Isn't Detroit like 25M under the cap ?
Nah, 13 mil and Abdelkader unsigned and 6 dman signed.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:55 AM
PriceIsGod
#TokarskiTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticHab View Post
Finally time for Gomez to shine.
In the AHL

PriceIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:57 AM
TOGuy14

Thomas to Phoenix could be a win / win for both teams.

Phoenix doesn't actually need to pay out that $5M, Boston gains more cap space.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote