HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Herbie carnegie quebec aces jersey

Old
02-02-2013, 09:54 AM
todg

vCash: 500
Herbie carnegie quebec aces jersey

I am interested in buying a Quebec Aces hockey jersey for a player named Herbie Carnegie. Does anyone know where i might find one? Ebbets Field only has Beliveau's jersey. Please help been looking a long, long time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

todg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Killion

Well, I see you found www.ebbets.com which also has a beautiful vintage (but its new) Quebec Aces jacket on its site, on sale actually, $136.99 marked down from $179. Maybe you could buy that & then go and buy Carnegies number in chenille on a felt back & get it sewn onto the sleeve; "Carnegie" embroidered onto the front? Or, buy the Beliveau and get the number changed professionally or even email ebbets and ask them if they'll do it.... I doubt very much if you'll find anyone anywhere else re-producing the actual jersey or even stocking blanks in that colour scheme (white body with green shoulder inserts green stripes on the bottom, red stripes at the elbows with a tie down on the neck), however, there are cottage manufacturers who you can commission to knit them, identical replicas', but a warning they can be pricey ($400+). Try google search. There was a poster here on hf who did it himself, name escapes me. Uses even the same weight wool or cotton/wool blends as the originals as well, so Im not talking some homespun sweater made by your Aunt Fanny or Granny. He'd get the Crests & numbers made by embroidery companies if he couldnt source them ready made, one-off's. Looked absolutely authentic.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:18 AM
todg

thanks for the great idea

KILLION YOU'RE A GENIUS!!!
i never thought of that. i will buy beliveau' jersey and get the number changed like you said. the only problem now is that i never searched for beliveau's jersey so i have no idea where to get an AUTHENTIC one. also who would sell the numbers exactly like or close to what was actually used on the jersey. i hate to bother you again but i need your help. oh by the way, THANK YOU AGAIN!!! HF Boards Rocks!

todg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 931
I could actually see me wearing the Beliveau one, instead of some borderline NHL-talent like Herb Carnegie.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Canadiens1958

Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by todg View Post
i never thought of that. i will buy beliveau' jersey and get the number changed like you said. the only problem now is that i never searched for beliveau's jersey so i have no idea where to get an AUTHENTIC one. also who would sell the numbers exactly like or close to what was actually used on the jersey. i hate to bother you again but i need your help. oh by the way, THANK YOU AGAIN!!! HF Boards Rocks!
The seller may be able to switch the #9 Beliveau for the #7 Carnegie since they are a cut and sew operation.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...007361952.html

1951-52 Quebec Aces roster with numbers above. Teams from that era did not have nameplates.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by todg View Post
Yer WELCOME! So email ebbets & ask them. Want the number changed to 7 from 9. If they cant do it then ask for a blank back on the jersey and take it in to a local crest & embroidery company, match the color & font, get em to whip you up a #7. Even if they only sell it with the #9 just buy it anyway & take it somewhere to be fixed. No nameplate on the originals as C58 indicates however some people dont care about that, and if you want, go right ahead and get one made up, sewn on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
I could actually see me wearing the Beliveau one, instead of some borderline NHL-talent like Herb Carnegie.
Well, Herb just happens to be the first black guy to play in the NHL so culturally he's an important figure in the history of the game, on top of being a role model and inspiration to many who followed, particularly so as he was legally blind in one eye. The guy is absolutely revered in San Diego where he played for years, still coaching (or was last I heard a few years ago) kids etc....

Old
02-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
I'd wear a Jean Marois or a Jack Gelineau.

Fortunately, given the era, they probably wore the same number and I could get two for the price of one.

I'd wear a Carnegie one, too - would be an interesting talking point.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I'd wear a Carnegie one, too - would be an interesting talking point.
... check out the Quebec Aces Team
Jacket Taco. Nice lookin unit actually.

www.ebbets.com

Old
02-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... check out the Quebec Aces Team
Jacket Taco. Nice lookin unit actually.

www.ebbets.com
That's a sweet jacket - I love the green on there. Crap - they've got a Totems sweater now!

If any of y'all are ever in Seattle, I highly recommend visiting these guys. Top quality craftsmanship - I have a few baseball hats (including a Seattle Pilots and a Kansas City Athletics) and I have a 1967 Penguins sweater. The factors is (or used to be, at least) a history buff's dream.

And I bet that they'd do a custom job if asked.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Killion

Quote:
Crap - they've got a Totems sweater now!
... uh oh. Got room on your card?

Old
02-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
... uh oh. Got room on your card?
Unfortunately, I'll be within walking distance of the factory two weekends hence.

Better bring a spare carry-on bag!

Old
02-05-2013, 08:06 AM
justsomeguy

Quote:
Well, Herb just happens to be the first black guy to play in the NHL so culturally he's an important figure in the history of the game, on top of being a role model and inspiration to many who followed, particularly so as he was legally blind in one eye. The guy is absolutely revered in San Diego where he played for years, still coaching (or was last I heard a few years ago) kids etc....
Think you're confusing/amalgamating Herb Carnegie and Willie O'Ree.

Mr Carnegie never played in the NHL although most of the men who played with and against him in the QSHL say he had the neccessities to carve out an extended career in the league if he had been given the chance. Often compared to Buddy O'Connor in terms of style and talent.He passed away last March. Was every bit the role model that Jean Beliveau is. Pretty good golfer too.

Mr O'Ree is still based in the San Diego area. Was extensively involved in the NHL's Diversity Task Force up to acouple years ago. Have not spoken to him since the All-Star Game was in MTLso I'm not sure what his involvement is these days. He has spent a lot of time coaching and running clinics for minority kids and adopted a lot of the philosophy that Carnegie put in place for his Future Aces program.

Last edited by justsomeguy: 02-05-2013 at 08:16 AM.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Mr Carnegie never played in the NHL although most of the men who played with and against him in the QSHL say he had the neccessities to carve out an extended career in the league if he had been given the chance. Often compared to Buddy O'Connor in terms of style and talent.He passed away last March. Was every bit the role model that Jean Beliveau is. Pretty good golfer too.
Yes, MAYBE he could have played in the NHL. Obviously it was the Original-6 so even if he could'nt he was no slouch. Becouse you see, there is nothing in his resumé that puts him above several other players that did'nt play in the NHL either. I just think he would be a pretty sad role model if he's heralded as a victim of discrimination by the Rangers executives if he in fact, was'nt. Which might just be the case here.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:29 AM
justsomeguy

He turned down the Rangers offer of a minor-league contract that would have paid him significantly less money than he was earning in the Q. He was in his late 20s and had a family to support at that time in his life.

Sort of a shame that folks run him down for putting his family first. Sort of like saying Tumba Johannson couldn't have competed in the NHL when he actually turned down the contract the Bruins offered because signing it would mean he could no longer represent Sweden internationally.

As to his resume. Stats do not give an accurate picture of contemporary players and do a less complete job on guys from the past, particularly from lower-level and long-defunct leagues.

Newspaper articles from the era help fill out a picture of players from the past but so do the memories of their peers. Have spoken to many former pros from the 40s and 50s ( from career minor leaguers to Hall of Famers) and the overwhelming consensus is that Herb Carnegie could have made a go of it in the NHL, particularly if he got a shot at it when he was in his early to mid-20s.

justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Yes, MAYBE he could have played in the NHL. Obviously it was the Original-6 so even if he could'nt he was no slouch. Becouse you see, there is nothing in his resumé that puts him above several other players that did'nt play in the NHL either. I just think he would be a pretty sad role model if he's heralded as a victim of discrimination by the Rangers executives if he in fact, was'nt. Which might just be the case here.
I still don't see why we should only remember players if they were star NHL players.

Isn't there a place for the Allan Besters, the Glen Goodalls, the Guyle Fielders? Isn't there a place for the Herb Carnegies?

I came across a goaltender named Bryan Mountain in my stats compiling the other day - now, that's a heck of a name for a goaltender, and I wanted to know more about him. What's wrong with remembering players like Bryan Mountain?

Old
02-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
I still don't see why we should only remember players if they were star NHL players.

Isn't there a place for the Allan Besters, the Glen Goodalls, the Guyle Fielders? Isn't there a place for the Herb Carnegies?

I came across a goaltender named Bryan Mountain in my stats compiling the other day - now, that's a heck of a name for a goaltender, and I wanted to know more about him. What's wrong with remembering players like Bryan Mountain?
For sure. But i'm a little tired of the misinformation that has been spread around about him just becouse everybody is so certain the Rangers were racists. Also becouse he was black and they really wanted him to have been better than he was becouse it's cool i guess. I'm sure other people remember the exact specifics but one thing is that his accomlishments in the lower QPHL-league has been said to have actually been done in the QSHL where Beliveau later played and at a young age at that blew Carnegie out of the water. Borderline Original-6 player is what i have heard when not counting false facts.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

That's fair - and Herb Carnegie's level as a player may deserve its own thread (although I'm fine with it here).

Old
02-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Killion

Ooops... ya thats right too. Dyslexia? Senility? Confused myself there. Herb Carnegie, not Willie O'Ree. My Bad.

.... and Im with Taco on this one. The more obscure the jersey & the player, the more I actually appreciate the individual wearing or collecting such items. Shows' a real depth of appreciation of the eccentric (the finestkind as they say in Maine) variety for the game & its players at all levels.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Ooops... ya thats right too. Dyslexia? Senility? Confused myself there. Herb Carnegie, not Willie O'Ree. My Bad.

.... and Im with Taco on this one. The more obscure the jersey & the player, the more I actually appreciate the individual wearing or collecting such items. Shows' a real depth of appreciation of the eccentric (the finestkind as they say in Maine) variety for the game & its players at all levels.
Yes of course. I highly dislike both the Canadiens and Beliveau(Well becouse he was a too high profiled player to wear), but just wanted to use it as an entry into the Carnegie-fanboy slashing. I would have Herbs jersey on my wall if i dont have others to obtain first. Sleeping pills starts to set in, must stop posting. Pill induced grammar problems in my last reply i think would have given me a warning or worse for racism if i had not cought up on it.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Killion

Quote:
I would have Herbs jersey on my wall...
Ya, no worries... have you got a Salming Kiruna jersey? That'd be a great one to have. You could wear it on the dock while grillin', trying out his recipe's from his book. Salming Salmon with the Herbs' goin into the accompanying Green Pea Sauce instead of hanging them on your wall. Particularly tasty. Wash it down with a coupla cases of Carlsbergs Carnegie 175th Anniversary Porter ...

guy still looks like a Million Bucks, and wouldnt surprise me if capable of playing in the NHL to this day...