HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bellevue/Seattle NHL franchise?

Old
07-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenayfan View Post
Pretty darn easy when your up against the likes of Bettman.
Damn, I should just drop out of school to work for the NHL then!

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:00 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
If Phoenix does move, then the owners should take one lesson from Phoenix.

Build it in Seattle not Bellevue. Learn from the Glendale vs Phoenix situation.
There was a Seattle guy on the radio here yesterday, he said the other guy who's trying to get a team there (not the one who owns the Wolves) is talking about a P3 stadium project in the SoDo area with the other stadiums there. He said this guy (his name's probably in this thread and I'm just too lazy to check) is "miles ahead" of Levin.

Additionally I have used my extensive knowledge of Seattle to come up with some possible names:
Seattle Green Coffee Mermaids
Seattle Fish Throwers
Seattle Grunges
Seattle Softwares

I feel they all truly capture the magnificence of the Pacific Northwest.

Last edited by PRNuck: 07-27-2012 at 02:16 PM.
PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:04 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Barring Phoenix or Florida level ticket prices, I question the idea that thousands of Canadians are going to drive several hours to see every single game of a team they probably have no allegiance to. Sure maybe for a few years, but if the team is crap 5 years later are people really going to be putting in the time and effort when you can just pay a little more and get tickets to the Canucks?

I just don't see NHL hockey working in Seattle and if they're pinning their hopes on Canadians filling up the stadium as a long term solution then they've already failed.
100% Agree

This is unrelated to any opinion I have on whether Seattle should have an NHL team or not but to justify putting it there on the grounds that Canadians will fill the stadium is a mistake.

Are they going to build a stadium in North Bellvue so that Canadians can shave 30 mins off their drive down? Why spend a theoretical $10 on ticket and $50+ on gas plus 6+ hours of driving time over just spending $80 on an upper bowl ticket at Rogers Arena? Not to mention the dollar being at par (something that won't last forever) and the volume of Canadians currently going south being so high (also something that won't last forever).

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Passthedonuts

Quote:

Glendale and Bellevue are nothing alike.

Bellevue is very central, and very affluent - Glendale is neither.

To use Metro Vancouver analogies. Bellevue is like Burnaby in terms of location and prominence, but with West Vancouver level wealth. Glendale would be like Langley, or the far flung areas of Surrey.

If it's determined that NHL hockey can success in Metro Seattle (open for debate), Bellevue would be as good of a location as any in terms of drawing a crowd. That said, the bigger issue is whether or not they have the available or suitable land to host an arena.

Passthedonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:34 PM
maxell91
B.O.B.

How about burlington or tulalip? Bellevue's a little far for my liking.

maxell91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:

Bellevue is pretty close to Seattle. If they built the arena in the Northwest corner of the city the drive from Seattle might not be too bad.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:12 PM
sunnyvale420

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
Would this be expansion or relocation?

Remember other cities with stadiums already built are KC and Vegas
Where is this arena in Vegas? You have to drive out of town and through military property just to get to the Nascar track...

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:17 PM
billvanseattle

There has been talk of putting the arena in the same location as the football and baseball stadiums ....

It would be very nice if they put the arena in the Everett area though, and made the drive down for Canadians a little easier, but that is only going to be part of the package.

The seattle metro population is larger than the Vcr one, by about 50%, but spread out over 5 times as much area. If they go to the north side of seattle to accomodate Canadians coming down, it will mean a hellish drive for those in Tacoma.

If you think traffic is bad in VCR, try rush hour (its a lot more than an hour) in Seattle.

No one is going to have seasons tickets for the Seattle NHL and drive down from Canada and not have a Nexus card ...

anyhow, it would be fantastic for Vancouver to have 6 games where they can commute by bus, like the eastern teams do. Those games would sell out, as would, I suspect, Montreal toronto Edm Calgary and a major boost for the top teams as well, Bost, NYR, Chic, Det and a few others. They may even get some attendance from Calif for those games.

Would it be a success ... probably. It would have a better success than the Grizzlies in VCR did.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I'd catch a few games for sure, Bellevue is such a nice city.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:57 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post
Where is this arena in Vegas? You have to drive out of town and through military property just to get to the Nascar track...
I can't remember where, but it's in the city. I went to a Las Vegas Lightning game there when I was kid, got Radek Bonk's autograph!

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Carl Carlson

A seattle team would be great but I doubt it happens anytime soon.

Carl Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:04 PM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

I would be ecstatic if Seattle got a team. My friends and I would be down there in full force every single Canucks game no question. I would be down there for Flyers games as well. Man, I hope this happens.

Seattle is a great city.

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:17 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I think Seattle would be a much better market than some of the sunbelt teams already in the league and wouldn't have to rely on Vancouver fans supporting that team. I also think Canucks-Seattle games would see a lot of Canuck fans traveling down there though.
So you have 3 games covered, what about the other 38? A Saturday Canucks game in Seattle could probably have a full house of Vancouver fans.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 03:22 AM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
So you have 3 games covered, what about the other 38? A Saturday Canucks game in Seattle could probably have a full house of Vancouver fans.
Calgary and Edmonton games could be pretty full too...Perhaps.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 03:28 AM
Smokey McCanucks

Bellevue would be a bad idea, downtown Seattle though...that'd be great! They'd have to be called the Metropolitans or the Thunderbirds though, anything else is unacceptable to me.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 03:53 AM
Derp Kassian

I don't want a NHL team in the NW unless we get an NBA team back.

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:14 AM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
I don't want a NHL team in the NW unless we get an NBA team back.

I do not see a correlation ....

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:01 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I can't remember where, but it's in the city. I went to a Las Vegas Lightning game there when I was kid, got Radek Bonk's autograph!
It was the IHL Thunder you saw, and they played out of the Thomas and Mack arena, which is FAR too small for an NHL team and booked so regularly that the arena didn't want the Thunder there anyway, as they made more money off of other events than they did off IHL hockey.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:24 AM
kootenayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post

Me either, nor do i give two hoots about the NBA.

kootenayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Derp Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post

I want a second major franchise in Van before Seattle gets 4

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Barring Phoenix or Florida level ticket prices, I question the idea that thousands of Canadians are going to drive several hours to see every single game of a team they probably have no allegiance to. Sure maybe for a few years, but if the team is crap 5 years later are people really going to be putting in the time and effort when you can just pay a little more and get tickets to the Canucks?

I just don't see NHL hockey working in Seattle and if they're pinning their hopes on Canadians filling up the stadium as a long term solution then they've already failed.
Canuck fans, no. Unless the Canucks are playing of course. But there are a lot of fans of O6 team up here, as well as the Flamers and Coilers. I'd definitely go down there to see the Bruins at face value than pay over $100 to sit in the upper bowl with you crazy animals!

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Katani Kalan

Seattle Metropolitans would be sweet and theres history there as they won the Stanley Cup in 1915 becoming the first US based team to do so.

Katani Kalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:05 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Canuck fans, no. Unless the Canucks are playing of course. But there are a lot of fans of O6 team up here, as well as the Flamers and Coilers. I'd definitely go down there to see the Bruins at face value than pay over $100 to sit in the upper bowl with you crazy animals!
There'd be a bit of a bump for those games, but you can say that about almost anywhere that doesn't have a huge fanbase. Places like Florida and Phoenix see spikes in attendance when popular teams visit, but as we've seen that only gets you so far. Counting on Canadians to fill up thousands of seats every single night (which is what Levin suggested) is silly. There would be some people who'd come down to watch their favorite team, but who's going to drive 3+ hours each way to see Columbus, Nashville, Dallas, etc. with any kind of regularity?

Not to mention, unlike with Florida, Phoenix, San Jose, etc. there'd be a closer place (Vancouver) for all these Canadians to watch their favorite team visit. If you're in Phoenix and want to see the Bruins play there's only one game in town; if you're a Canadian within driving distance of Seattle, there's a much closer (albeit more expensive) option in Vancouver.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:06 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
So original 6, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary should have dependable boosts. Add in star games, particular cross conference games like Crosby, Ovechkin and Stamkos visiting. Probably add Phillie to that too. I wouldn't call all those games auto-sellouts, but I believe Seattle itself would have good support to start (without needing Phoenix level prices), with a boost for a good portion of the schedule seems like a recipe for success.

deckercky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 15539
The Seattle Totems were a professional ice hockey franchise in Seattle, Washington. They were a member of the Western Hockey League between 1958 and 1974. In their last season of existence, the Totems played in the Central Hockey League, 1974-75. They played their home games in the Civic Ice Arena and later at the Seattle Center Coliseum. The Totems won three WHL Lester Patrick Cup championships in 1959, 1967 and 1968. The Totems were one of the few American-based professional clubs to play the famed Soviet Red Army team. On December 25, 1973 the Totems lost to the Soviets 9-4. A rematch between the two clubs was held on January 4, 1974. Led by Don Westbrooke's three goals, The Totems won the game 8-4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Totems