HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Enstrom re-signs 5 year, 28.75 million contract extension (Beginning 2013-2014)

Old
07-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
And this is why everyone in Atlanta left, no commitment from ownership.

Players want to have owners who care about winning and will do whatever it takes which TNSE is modeling.
Hopefully one day we will all be celebrating at a Cup parade one day my friend! I followed the coyotes for several years post Jets 1.0. And my brother did right up until last summer. so I can appreciate the dedication.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:57 PM
almostawake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
I wonder how this impacts Bogo extending. He's not going to want to being on the 2nd PP unit forever.
It's almost impressive how ridiculous this post is.

Enstrom, in no way, shape, or form, blocks Bogosian on the PP.

Bogosian is a RIGHT shooting defenceman and for the time being his main asset on the PP is his shot.

Enstrom is a LEFT shooting defenceman and his main assets on the PP are his mobility, passing, and ability to QB the PP.

Bogosian would be over joyed to have a guy like Enstrom passing the puck to him on the PP, but until he surpasses BYFUGLIEN, or they move BYFUGLIEN to the front of the net, or BYFUGLIEN gets traded, Bogo will be on the 2nd PP unit.

In case you missed it, I was trying to make it clear that Byfuglien is the guy blocking Bogosian's path to the 1st PP unit, not Enstrom.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Nothing Is New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Maybe not yet, but I certainly think as soon as this season and beyond that Bogosian could be a legitimate #1 PP guy. His skating and shot are top notch. Bogo has all of the offensive tools needed in my opinion to be a great offensive contributor. When he was drafted his offense, skating and physical game were his #1 tools.

It's going to be really disappointing if we don't give Bogosian prime offensive opportunities. I'm not worried though, I still feel he's naturally too good not to earn and receive those offensive opportunities.
During John Anderson's otherwise regrettable tenure as Thrash coach, he did use Bogo in a more offensive role. One thing that stuck out was that Bogo can really skate and bring the puck up the ice - at times (pardon me Hockey Gods) he looked like B. Orr - skating. Of course, his shot was average and often not on net and he may not have made the best passing decisions - but he definitely has strong potential here - IMO.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
The one thing I found weird during the conference call is that it sounded as if Toby (and Chipman) were both present during negotiations. I don't know if they were just saying he was around for the beginning and the end, but typically players stay out of negotiations and let their agents handle it.

I wonder if him being there impacted the price at all. Typically players when present either sign for less or don't sign at all, as they feel insulted during negotiations.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
During John Anderson's otherwise regrettable tenure as Thrash coach, he did use Bogo in a more offensive role. One thing that stuck out was that Bogo can really skate and bring the puck up the ice - at times (pardon me Hockey Gods) he looked like B. Orr - skating. Of course, his shot was average and often not on net and he may not have made the best passing decisions - but he definitely has strong potential here - IMO.
Ah JA, he was a special guy.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:04 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Between then and now, he must have mail ordered for a cannon! His shot is anything but average...consistently beats goaltenders - cant seem to beat posts. Must have led the league in posts

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:04 PM
buggs

vCash: 128
Quote:
It just seems so painfully obvious that Bogo could be on the 1st unit.

Place Byfuglien down low and let Toby and Bogo handle the points like they used to back in Atlanta before Buff.
Or move Byfuglien back to the 2nd unit? That would make it stronger wouldn't it?

Gotta say I'm pleased to see this signing, at least as much from the notion of players signing in Winnipeg and dispelling the myth that it's a bad place to be, as anything else. Others said it first, I'm just agreeing. I had no idea how Enstrom felt about the city and organization, so seeing those quotes was nice.

Wrapping up Kane would be a nice capper to this summer.

I wonder if they'll extend any of Bogosian, Wheeler, Little or Burmistrov before next summer?

buggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:05 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
It's almost impressive how ridiculous this post is.

Enstrom, in no way, shape, or form, blocks Bogosian on the PP.

Bogosian is a RIGHT shooting defenceman and for the time being his main asset on the PP is his shot.

Enstrom is a LEFT shooting defenceman and his main assets on the PP are his mobility, passing, and ability to QB the PP.

Bogosian would be over joyed to have a guy like Enstrom passing the puck to him on the PP, but until he surpasses BYFUGLIEN, or they move BYFUGLIEN to the front of the net, or BYFUGLIEN gets traded, Bogo will be on the 2nd PP unit.

In case you missed it, I was trying to make it clear that Byfuglien is the guy blocking Bogosian's path to the 1st PP unit, not Enstrom.
Offensive dman stand in his way. It was just a thought. And teams frequently start two players at the point with the same hand.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:07 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Hopefully this stops all the "my teams garbage spare parts" for enstrom thread

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
I remember last season Bogo took the puck on an end-to-end rush and roofed it - bar-high, unfortunately...but if he'd scored, that would've been in the running for Play of the Year on TSN.

I guess he's been instructed to concentrate primarily on D (and with good results this year) - but you can certainly see flashes of his offensive talent when he decides to show it.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:11 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 521
Quote:
Maybe not yet, but I certainly think as soon as this season and beyond that Bogosian could be a legitimate #1 PP guy. His skating and shot are top notch. Bogo has all of the offensive tools needed in my opinion to be a great offensive contributor. When he was drafted his offense, skating and physical game were his #1 tools.

It's going to be really disappointing if we don't give Bogosian prime offensive opportunities. I'm not worried though, I still feel he's naturally too good not to earn and receive those offensive opportunities.
Too bad it's not as easy as sticking Buff down low on the PP and letting Bogo and Enstrom man the points... Hey, waitaminute...

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
At age 21, you think that's it for Bogo? Sorry. That skating, that shot...that belong on a #1 PP unit...for sure when he's developed a bit more.
Never said that was it. Believe me, I'm a huge fan of Bogosian and think there's still some major untapped offensive potential. But as of right now, he's more suited for the #2 unit, and I think his main value for the Jets as of right now is logging tough 5 v 5 minutes.

Bogo was still averaging 2:27 minutes of PP TOI/game (compared to Buff at 3:29 and Enstrom at 3:17), so it's not as though he's going to stagnate. Also, it's not as though the PP units are concrete. Bogo may very well get promoted to the #1 unit if Buff/Enstrom aren't getting it done at any given time. I also like Lynk's suggestion of possibly using all 3 on the #1 unit.

Quote:
And that's just it. Bogo has the tools to push Enstrom and Buff for minutes on the first unit, it's not as though the Jets need to make room for him. Competition is always a good thing.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Huffer

Great, Great news.

Losing Enstrom would have left a massive hole on the LD.

Also stops the possibility of possibly losing him for nothing, which to me is cardinal sin #1.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:15 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

Quote:
It just seems so painfully obvious that Bogo could be on the 1st unit.

Place Byfuglien down low and let Toby and Bogo handle the points like they used to back in Atlanta before Buff.
I should have read ahead! Great thinking, Lynk!

Old
07-27-2012, 02:17 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Ah JA, he was a special guy.
Come on, Lynk...the puck just didn't bounce our way.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Come on, Lynk...the puck just didn't bounce our way.
I can still hear all 82 post game press conferences and I can't remember many without that famous catchphrase.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:19 PM
hockeyarena

vCash: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
I should have read ahead! Great thinking, Lynk!
yup then occassionally cycle Buff up there on the fly for a 1-time bomb to throw off their PK. Problem with having Buff man the point is the opposing PK knows we're looking to Buff for the shot every time so they shadow him. Saw it many times last year where they essentially dared Enstrom to shoot because they know he's got no power...apart from the 1 or 2 absolute snipes we witnessed.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:24 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I like Enstrom with Byfuglien and since we'll probably have Jokinen on the 1st PP also that will really raise up the options for Enstrom.

The second PP will probably have Postma and Bogosian on the point... with maybe Hainsey or Jokinen replacing Postma.

I'm guessing our PP will be top 15 this year... Just need to trade Hainsey for picks and then picks for a guy who succeeds with tough 5v5 and PK (like a left handed Bogo )

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:27 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

Quote:
I can still hear all 82 post game press conferences and I can't remember many without that famous catchphrase.
Mr. Dark Cloud? You gotta admit he had a hell of a playoff mustache when he coached the Wolves though!

Old
07-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Huffer

5.75 per?? Nice!

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:10 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

great value at 5.75 since that is less than some weaker defenseman have recieved for shorter contracts!!

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:11 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Yeah, that's a steal.

Old
07-27-2012, 03:11 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

5.75 million per year is a little higher than I thought he would get but who cares? We're well below the salary cap anyways.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:12 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Still have bald spots. "Time to shuffle the lines for only the 60th time this season!"

Old
07-27-2012, 03:13 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

5yr 28.75mm
Good deal for the jets

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote