HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TML Fans, Are you prepared to part with your 1st in 2013 to land a 1C ?

View Poll Results: TML Fans, Are you prepared to part with your 1st in 2013 to land a 1C ?
No. We keep all of our draft picks even if it means missing the playoffs again. 40 24.24%
Yes. If it lands us a young center and makes us competitive for many years. 84 50.91%
Yes. I would rather use a 1st than trade Kadri and Mo Riles for Getzlaf. 14 8.48%
Yes. JVR and McClement make us more competitive. 1 0.61%
No. This years' draft is the deepest in years. 26 15.76%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-27-2012, 12:37 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

vCash: 500
TML Fans, Are you prepared to part with your 1st in 2013 to land a 1C ?

The reason I bring this up is because it could be worth the risk.

A 1C could make us much better and help us compete for a possible playoff spot. If that occurred our 1st pick would be between 16th and 30th. If it looks like another sub-par season then we can get a late first by using our forward depth at the trade deadline.

Our current assets are decent, but if we offer a 1st teams will take our proposal very seriously.

I also ask the question because I am wondering if leaf fans covet 1st rounds pick more or less than they used to.

What do you think?

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:38 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post

A 1C could make us much better and help us compete for a possible playoff spot. If that occurred our 1st pick would be between 16th and 30th. If it looks like another sub-par season then we can get a late first by using our forward depth at the trade deadline.

Our current assets are decent, but if we offer a 1st teams will take our proposal very seriously.

I also ask the question because I am wondering if leaf fans covet 1st rounds pick more or less than they used to.

What do you think?
Absolutely not. Steer the course. Draft you're own.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:38 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Depends on who the player is and what else we'd have to give up along with the 1st

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
I think it will cost more than just our 2013 1st round pick to get a number one center which is why people become more hesitant. If it is just the one pick, I say hell yes. If it is more than just the one pick, then we are losing serviceable assets along with a pick that we may use to draft someone of similar caliber. That's when I begin to question if it is worthwhile.

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Drmckool
Truculence!

Crosby, Malkin, RNH, E/J Staal, H. Sedin, Kesler, Richards, Giroux, or Stamkos sure pull the trigger. Anything else, probably not.

Drmckool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
Only if we add to it because it would have to be a damn good centre to give up the 1st rounder. Like really, really good. Great even.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Kitsy

I am usually very against ideas like this but I would be open to doing something like it if the return was Getlzaf and Gets would re-sign for an extended period. If we could rope in Bernier for Frattin and a 2nd and Getzlaf for a 1st, our team could look something like this in 2-3 years

JVR - Getlzaf - Kessel
Lupul - Grabby - Kadri
Kulemin - Colborne - Ashton
D'Amigo - McClement - Koromov

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Reilly - Gunnarsson
Holzer - Blacker

Bernier
Reimer

I think that is a team that fights for a stanley cup if JVR, Gardiner, Reilly, Bernier, Kadri, Reimer round out to somewhat of what they project. Looking at that first line makes me so excited.

I know projected rosters involving potential trades are speculative and not worth much, but dreaming has been my substitute for reality as a leafs fan.

Kitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Midna

There are players I would be willing to trade that pick for who play that position, yes.

Midna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Depends on who the player is and what else we'd have to give up along with the 1st
Came to post exactly this.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:47 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

My personal preference is to keep the pick.

However, if you must trade the pick, make sure it is a younger guy like Duschense who you know will make an impact, and for a long time. Getzlaf is not the right guy to trade our pick for. It also doesn't give Anaheim a piece to work with for several years, so they may not want a long term asset.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Ricky Bobby

Depends! But probably not as long as we've got that huge question mark in net.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:04 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post

What do you think?
Is there a trade on the table involving those pieces right now? Like the Bernier to Toronto trade that would occur either yesterday or today?

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:11 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Frankly, who cares whether or not Maple Leaf fans are prepared to part with the team's 2013 1st? If Burke trades the pick, it's gone and it's time to move on. Why sit and moan and groan and wine about things that we really have no control over?

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

No, especially not with the depth of the upcoming draft.

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Al14

Stamkos or maybe Tavares, yes sure, trade the first.

Hell will freeze over before the above happens.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Aplayaz2000

back to trading picks huh?

DURrrrr

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:24 PM
I Believe

Tough to say. I would, but the only #1C I see realistically available would be Getzlaf, and he's a UFA next year. Not sure i'd do it for Stastny. Can't really see who else is out there on the trading block.

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
For a young/youngish, legit #1?

Absolutely.

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Whydidijoin*

Depends on the player we could get. Nothing is off limits.

The value of 1st round picks has not changed just because a bunch of babies like to whine about the Kessel trade.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Absolutely not! The reason a 1A center of this nature becomes "available" is due to issues this center would have. It would be a center that has regressed, or has attitude problems, high contract demands, personal problems, etc.

1A centers rarely get traded and it would have to take a major issue for a team to trade that player. It would be preferable to grab one in this draft regardless of where we sit on draft day. We have learned our lesson in the past by trading away first round picks for veterans, or players that fill a need like Tom Kurvers only to lose out on a Scott Niedermayer in the draft.

Stay the course and draft a center like Kopitar which Los Angeles did. It will take years for these players to develop like Kopitar, but eventually the team will be better for it. Los Angeles was patient and eventually won it all.

Getting a center now is going to help in getting into the playoffs but what counts is the Stanley Cup. The best way to get to the Stanley Cup is to draft the STUD center as they are rarely traded if ever. Save the first round pick and draft the BPA center.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Griffski

Package it up for Jamie benn lock him down for 7 years.

Griffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:44 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
For a young/youngish, legit #1?

Absolutely.
And it is not even close. Add Kadri too if needed.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

It would totally depend on who the player is we are getting in return, and what on top of that pick we have to add to land that player.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:02 PM
IBeL13f

Sure. Burke's a smart man, and even the years he traded away 1st-round picks, he made up for it by acquiring 1st-round picks, as well as former 1st-round picks. The thing about Burke is that when he deals away assets, he builds those assets back up. He moved out two or three future building blocks for Kessel (1 definite building block), but then used lesser assets, or assets that would not be returning (Beauchemin, Lebda, Versteeg, Kaberle, Stajan/Hagman/White/Mayers) into many building blocks (Lupul, Gardiner, Franson, Biggs (potential), Percy (potential), Colborne (potential), Liles, Phaneuf, Ashton (potential)).

I would rather not move it, personally, because I like drafting our own talent with our own picks, and if we under-perform, then we get the excitement of a high pick like Rielly. But if Burke does move it, I trust we'll be getting a great player for it, like we did in the Kessel deal, and that he will be doing everything he can to once again move some of our lesser or expiring assets for more important pieces (MacArthur, Lombardi, Connelly, etc.).

So I'd rather not, but I'll probably be ok with it if he does.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Depends on the player of course but considering we still aren't close to competing, I'd rather keep the pick. I'd considering trades of such sort as we get closer to the draft but not before the season.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote