HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St. Louis Blues Top Prospects #1

View Poll Results: Who's the Blues' best prospect?
Vladimir Tarasenko 47 92.16%
Jaden Schwartz 3 5.88%
Ian Cole 0 0%
Ty Rattie 0 0%
Jake Allen 0 0%
Jordan Schmaltz 0 0%
Brett Ponich 1 1.96%
Jani Hakanpaa 0 0%
Sam Kurker 0 0%
Cade Fairchild 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-27-2012, 04:18 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

vCash: 500
Yeah, I think if the trend continues, we'll close this tonight.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:22 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Does anyone object to Schwartz being installed as #2? We could proceed straight to #3.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Lifetimebluesfan

Im not the smartest about our prospects, but I'll go ahead and say:

1. Tarasenko
2. Schwartz
3. Allen
4. Cole
5. Rattie
6. McCrae
7. Fairchild
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?

The last three spots are potentially filled in by either Ponich, Edmundson, Beach, Hakanpaa.... Who else am I missing? I feel like I'm missing someone..

Lifetimebluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:31 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I would put Sam Kurker in there somewhere. He's a long way away from being an NHLer, but I really think he's going to be a great one. Size, speed, hands, smarts, it's all there. Just needs to round out his game. College hockey should do him a lot of favors.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:12 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Why do you say that, just curious.
Well, they did draft him higher.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:16 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Well, they did draft him higher.
I always thought the Russian factor put Tarasenko below Schwartz on our draft board. If Tarasenko was Canadian, he would've been higher on our draft board, but then again, if he was Canadian, we wouldn't have gotten him.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:18 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I always thought the Russian factor put Tarasenko below Schwartz on our draft board. If Tarasenko was Canadian, he would've been higher on our draft board, but then again, if he was Canadian, we wouldn't have gotten him.
That is the assumption. But I'm not certain that is a given. Truth is they are both high level prospects. But the Blues could just as easily have had Schwartz ahead. In fact they did have him ahead. The only question is whether other factors besides the players' appraisals decided that.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:26 AM
jonlin

I think St Louis should try to do everything they can to sign Lehterä to an entry-lvl contract with good bonuses! He played 25 games in KHL last season with 26p and a +9, centring Tarasenko and Enlund. They had good chemistry. Due to a concussion he didn`t play more.

KHL: 78 26 37 63 0.81 48 24

Not too shabby. Having Lehterä and Tarasenko on the 3rd line would make Blues a very dangerous team.

jonlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:38 AM
ChicagoBlues

I am with (probably) most others here in the belief that Lehterä will not return to NA. His rights are still owned by the Blues, I think. He probably just has a smart agent who works the contracts for leverage purposes, but I don't see him coming back.

Also, he was signed to his ELC a couple years ago. HF Link and Blues link

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:12 AM
jonlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
I am with (probably) most others here in the belief that Lehterä will not return to NA. His rights are still owned by the Blues, I think. He probably just has a smart agent who works the contracts for leverage purposes, but I don't see him coming back.

Also, he was signed to his ELC a couple years ago. HF Link and Blues link
He still should be one of the top prospects here! I read he was indeed offered a contract this season and declined it because he wanted to play a whole season without injuries and also is afraid of a possible lockout! If there is a lockout there will be a LOT of players running to KHL. He probably also get paid a lot more than a entry-lvl contract!?

Old
08-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
If we offered Lehterä a contract, then it wouldn't have been much and would have been 2-way. That is ging to make it difficult to convince him to come over.

I like Lehterä, I think he might be able to do a job in the NHL and would be worth the gamble. His skating is not good, something that is overstated by some, and it is something that could hopefully be worked on. If McDonald was to retire/move on at the end of this coming season, then the prospect of a Steen-Lehterä-whoever line would make some sense for our 3rd line. I don't see it being our first choice unless he has a really strong KHL season.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:46 PM
jonlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
If we offered Lehterä a contract, then it wouldn't have been much and would have been 2-way. That is ging to make it difficult to convince him to come over.

I like Lehterä, I think he might be able to do a job in the NHL and would be worth the gamble. His skating is not good, something that is overstated by some, and it is something that could hopefully be worked on. If McDonald was to retire/move on at the end of this coming season, then the prospect of a Steen-Lehterä-whoever line would make some sense for our 3rd line. I don't see it being our first choice unless he has a really strong KHL season.
He is really strong with the puck and has a very good hockey sense! He also had good connection with Tarasenko! Both of them were >1ppg with good +/- in KHL before Lehterä got hurt. Remember - the team they played on didn`t even reach the playoffs...
Look at his stats and tell me this guy can`t make it in NHL:

KHL: 78 26 37 63 0.81 48 24 | 18 0 3 3 0.17 14 -2
SM-liiga: 197 47 123 170 0.86 138 22 | 23 9 16 25 1.09 20 8

His numbers were better than Tarasenkos if u count ppg...

Old
08-22-2012, 05:01 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post
He still should be one of the top prospects here! I read he was indeed offered a contract this season and declined it because he wanted to play a whole season without injuries and also is afraid of a possible lockout! If there is a lockout there will be a LOT of players running to KHL. He probably also get paid a lot more than a entry-lvl contract!?
I know what you mean, but each member here has their own method of selecting a prospect.

For example, I select a prospect based on how close he is to playing in the NHL. Some of that is based on his projection and post-draft hype and analysis (as in the case of 2012 draftees) and also based on which league he's in. Europeans are different, in that they may or not already be here and may or may not ever come over to play or come over for a only short period.

To me, Lehtera is down on the prospect list because he came here and tried it for a only a short period and left.

He never once has attended Blues' training camp and he was not on the 2008 rookie camp roster for Prospect Tournament. He did not participate in the Blues' 2009 Pro-Orientation Camp. He did not participate in the 2009 or 2011 Traverse City Tourney. on and on

He has participated in something with the Blues because I'm pretty sure that I have seen him in photos wearing a "Gold" jersey.

All in all, his lack of interest is a turn-off. In the end, it doesn't matter what we fans or Blues' management want. What Jori Lehtera wants is what matters.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 06:18 PM
jonlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
I know what you mean, but each member here has their own method of selecting a prospect.

For example, I select a prospect based on how close he is to playing in the NHL. Some of that is based on his projection and post-draft hype and analysis (as in the case of 2012 draftees) and also based on which league he's in. Europeans are different, in that they may or not already be here and may or may not ever come over to play or come over for a only short period.

To me, Lehtera is down on the prospect list because he came here and tried it for a only a short period and left.

He never once has attended Blues' training camp and he was not on the 2008 rookie camp roster for Prospect Tournament. He did not participate in the Blues' 2009 Pro-Orientation Camp. He did not participate in the 2009 or 2011 Traverse City Tourney. on and on

He has participated in something with the Blues because I'm pretty sure that I have seen him in photos wearing a "Gold" jersey.

All in all, his lack of interest is a turn-off. In the end, it doesn't matter what we fans or Blues' management want. What Jori Lehtera wants is what matters.
I c where ur coming from! To me - a top prospect is the the BEST DRAFTED PLAYER. A player that can only be signed by my team if he wants to play in the NHL.
It`s a shame Blues has only offered a small 2-way contract to Lehterä. They could have offered nice bonuses and got him here with Tarasenko. I understand Lehterä well - If a KHL-team offers me 2mill/ and the other offer is 100k? in AHL - What do I choose?
He`ll soon be UFA and Blues will loose him if they dont offer anything. It`s a shame cause I really think him and Tarasenko would do very well together in St Louis...

Old
08-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
I c where ur coming from! To me - a top prospect is the the BEST DRAFTED PLAYER. A player that can only be signed by my team if he wants to play in the NHL.
It`s a shame Blues has only offered a small 2-way contract to Lehterä. They could have offered nice bonuses and got him here with Tarasenko. I understand Lehterä well - If a KHL-team offers me 2mill/ and the other offer is 100k? in AHL - What do I choose?
He`ll soon be UFA and Blues will loose him if they dont offer anything. It`s a shame cause I really think him and Tarasenko would do very well together in St Louis...
I don't think there is room for Lehterä on The Blues' roster. He has almost no physical game and is weak on defence. He's a slow skater, which might hurt him more on defence than offence (as his offensive sense and offensive moves helps him in positioning in the offensive zone -and makes up for some of his lack of straightaway speed). The Blues MAY lose his rights, but that wouldn't really make me feel all that bad. He seems to be uninterested in making a great effort to strengthen his weaknesses to better prepare him for The North American game (especially for The NHL level). That tells me he's not overly concerned with trying to build an NHL career.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
We couldn't have offered him any bonuses, the CBA doesn't allow it. We could only offer him a salary.

As I said above, I'm a fan of Lehterä. I must have seen 17 or so of his games for Sibir last season. There is more to it than point production though. His skating issues are there, and would be much more exposed on the smaller ice.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote