HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Farewell Sasha

Old
07-28-2012, 04:50 PM
um

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Who says I'm ok with the sucking? I've been at the front of the witch hunt, making torches for the shy ones, since the mid-1990's.

Still, I don't see Semin as anything more than a marginal piece. I don't hate the guy at all. But he's an anti-Captain. Not a core player.
an anti-Captain? what is that

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
an anti-Captain? what is that
An anti-Captain is a player you never look to for leadership.

It's possible that teams have won the Stanley Cup with anti-Captains though I can't think of any.

Yashin was an anti-Captain. Peter Klima, I think. Peter Bondra kind of was. Daigle was.

These kinds of players create a bad team dynamic...no matter how much skill they have.

Is it better to have a B- skill level player with an A+ heart or to have an A+ skill guy with a C- heart? It's difficult to put it together. You need skill to win and you need heart to win. If I were a GM, I'd do my absolute best to identify the heart of the players while young (e.g., Green, Carlson, Semin, Backstrom, Kuz, whoever...) and trade the guys who were questionable.

McPhee has rightly gone for heart in many cases (Laich, Ward, Pothier, Belanger, Arnott and others) but he overvalued their skill level at least half the time.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Alex Ovechkin ‏@ovi8

good luck to u Sema!it was gr8 time!!!!i hope we gonna play one more time together!!!!text me sometimes!hahaha
Did Ovie just ask Semin to call him, maybe?

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:54 PM
PSUCapsFan

Quote:

It's possible that teams have won the Stanley Cup with anti-Captains though I can't think of any.

Yashin was an anti-Captain. Peter Klima, I think. Peter Bondra kind of was. Daigle was.

These kinds of players create a bad team dynamic...no matter how much skill they have.

Is it better to have a B- skill level player with an A+ heart or to have an A+ skill guy with a C- heart? It's difficult to put it together. You need skill to win and you need heart to win. If I were a GM, I'd do my absolute best to identify the heart of the players while young (e.g., Green, Carlson, Semin, Backstrom, Kuz, whoever...) and trade the guys who were questionable.

McPhee has rightly gone for heart in many cases (Laich, Ward, Pothier, Belanger, Arnott and others) but he overvalued their skill level at least half the time.
So its kind of like dark matter?

PSUCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Millhaus

Quote:

Klima not only has his name on the cup he scored the OT winner in game 1 of the '90 finals...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:57 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

If Semin plays with E. Staal, he'll be at 75+ points

07-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCapsFan View Post
So its kind of like dark matter?
Basically its the person all your good canadian boys can point to when they don't feel like taking responsibility for failing to nut up at the right time. "Durr we lost because he didn't lead me hard enough in this endeavor of chasing around vulcanized rubber" and whatnot.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Klima not only has his name on the cup he scored the OT winner in game 1 of the '90 finals...

Thank you. Yeah, I thought Klima had a ring. Jagr is another guy like that. He won 2, if memory serves.

Klima, Jagr, and Semin are/were mega-talents on O who tend to take too many nights off.

Pitt dealt Jagr in his prime to us for peanuts because his act had worn thin. I remember Klima in DET and EDM...can't remember if he played elsewhere.

These types can help in a Cup run...though they are more likely to hurt (Radulov, Yashin, Jagr killed the Caps).

You have to have the right core to start with. Centers, D and G. We had a good core against Monty--though thin at C and D--and Semin was close to being the difference-maker. He couldn't quite solve Halak.

The core is worse today even w/ Ribs. Keeping Semin would've made it harder to win the Cup IMO. That $ can be spent better.

Of course, George and Ted may screw that up. But that's a different issue.

Last edited by Atlas: 07-28-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Hale Dunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCler View Post
Good luck with the Canes Sasha.

I actually think he is a decent fit there. Small market team he is not the star.

If a coach manages to channel is energy in the right way and keep his confidence up. Otherwise we will see more of the same from him.

He is not a bad kid just a shy reserved guy who gets misunderstood. I do not see that he is a jerk who looks down to his fellow players, but just being different.

So I actually wanted to keep him I think it is time to move on. We needed to get ride of a scapegoat some of our players where happy to hide behind.
?? Not the star? Who is?

For certain, if things don't go well, he will bear the brunt, even with decent numbers.

Hale Dunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:28 PM
um

Quote:

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Halpysback

Pittsburgh dealt Jagr because they were beyond bankrupt and because he got tired of carrying the team entirely on his back for like 3 years straight while nobody cared.

Also his and Semin's personalities couldn't be more different.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:13 PM
SnowBlue

Hahaha Anti-Captain!

SnowBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:

Although i agree, players like Semin are not Captain material, they have their role. Players need to have their place, sort of speak, takes all kinds. Team with too many Captains will not do very well either, IMO.
Also, coaching staff needs to recognize what they have, and create a game plan based on their strengths, when we had offensive talent we needed to go offense, full bore, like BB did when he first started, if you have Webber's and Sutter's as your center pieces, you go all-out defense. Its like, you don't go to war in a bathing suite and you don't go swimming in bullet proof vest. Our management and coaching staff seemed to lose that understanding in the past couple of years, i think... i could be wrong...

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:10 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Although i agree, players like Semin are not Captain material, they have their role. Players need to have their place, sort of speak, takes all kinds. Team with too many Captains will not do very well either, IMO.
Also, coaching staff needs to recognize what they have, and create a game plan based on their strengths, when we had offensive talent we needed to go offense, full bore, like BB did when he first started, if you have Webber's and Sutter's as your center pieces, you go all-out defense. Its like, you don't go to war in a bathing suite and you don't go swimming in bullet proof vest. Our management and coaching staff seemed to lose that understanding in the past couple of years, i think... i could be wrong...
you are right, thats why i wanted boudreau fired... which coach changes his philosophy 180 degrees in one offseason ?! answer: a coach without any philosophy. the positve about him were that he identified the caps offensive strengh at the time and let them play their game.

now i see trouble ahead... its basically the same problem with reversed roles. management singed grinders + offensive coach/style.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale Dunter View Post
?? Not the star? Who is?
There's this guy, Eric something or other. Stahl? Stall? Stal? Can't remember.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Millhaus

I guess I will put it this way, if you need a Jagr, Kovalev, Semin, Klima, or Yashin to be a real leader on your team you have not built your team in a very smart way. If your real leaders are in place and those guys can just go out and play the game then you are in a much better place.

And judging how much 'leadership' you should expect from a player by his paycheck makes very little sense to me.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Team with too many Captains will not do very well either, IMO.
I think you can use McPhee bringing in Linden as a perfect example of this. Linden was an incredible leader and on paper bringing in him and Zubrus was a fantastic move. But bringing in Linden made Oates feel his place as leader of the team was threatened and completely upset the dynamics of the team.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
There's this guy, Eric something or other. Stahl? Stall? Stal? Can't remember.
Skinner's arguably a bigger star in most ways too, although probably not considered a better player by many/any and obviously not paid as much. Jordan Staal is probably on a similar level of star-ness to Semin, and has the pressure granted by his name and the ridiculous investment the team made to get and then sign him.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
you are right, thats why i wanted boudreau fired... which coach changes his philosophy 180 degrees in one offseason ?! answer: a coach without any philosophy. the positve about him were that he identified the caps offensive strengh at the time and let them play their game.

now i see trouble ahead... its basically the same problem with reversed roles. management singed grinders + offensive coach/style.
Just for the record, i believe in what Fedorov said in some interview with Sov. Sport or something rather, the year we lost to MTL, to paraphrase: we shouldn't have knee-jerk reaction to that loss, we are 1 or 2 D, some minor adjustments and maturity away from greatness, but its exactly what happened, complete 180 in philosophy. Also, BB said it him self he should've stuck to his guns and play the style that best suited players that we had at the time, but he caved in under pressure, i bet if he could have a re-do he would've done it differently... in the end he lost the team and change might've been needed, but i still think he was/is a good coach.

...and now i have no clue what to expect. We'll see soon enough...

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Icetime

After all that talk across hfboards about what kind of monster contract Semin was going to get he signs a one year deal?

There is no better indicator of Semin's value or worth.

He was a so called PRIZED free agent and no GM wanted anything to do with him on an Open Market where everyone has tons of cash to do stupid things with.

Why is that?

I'm glad he's gone. He could thrive under the right circumstance, but he sure as heck
wasn't thriving in Washington. He was having a jolly good time with his best bud while at the same
time crafting a quality David Copperfield-esque set of disappearing acts.

Dude has a heart of glass. Sure he's a skill player so he can get by without blinking an eye on sick talent alone.

Can't stand these type of players. They're awful.

Last edited by Icetime: 07-30-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:58 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'm really not sure what your point is. Because Theodore and Fleischmann were rightfully bashed for their soft playoff performance, Semin shouldn't be? Because Nylander was rightfully bashed for his laziness and poor professionalism, Semin shouldn't be? Is that it?

Fleischmann, Theodore, and Nylander have absolutely nothing to do with Semin. It's just yet another deflection.

You still have no idea if the culture has changed or if the playoff performance has changed. No one will know until next summer.
Maybe the point ought to be to identify who keeps picking all these bad eggs?

We no sooner ship them out than we find 2 or 3 more.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:08 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
"I am sometimes seduced by skill"

That's our TeamBuilder.

What many of you Semin haters Just Do Not Get is that plenty of us are fine with Semin leaving....its the fact that we WILL NOT REPLACE him that is galling. For a team "trying" to win a cup, you cant bleed the amount of talent that the Caps have, and feel good about it.

You just cant. Not without some "I hate Semin" blinders on.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
After all that talk across hfboards about what kind of monster contract Semin was going to get he signs a one year deal?

There is no better indicator of Semin's value or worth.

He was a so called PRIZED free agent and no GM wanted anything to do with him on an Open Market where everyone has tons of cash to do stupid things with.

Why is that?

I'm glad he's gone. He could thrive under the right circumstance, but he sure as heck
wasn't thriving in Washington. He was having a jolly good time with his best bud while at the same
time crafting a quality David Copperfield-esque set of disappearing acts.

Dude has a heart of glass. Sure he's a skill player so he can get by without blinking an eye on sick talent alone.

Can't stand these type of players. They're awful.
Maybe you and NBTW can repair your relationship over your hatred of Semin. Also, your post didn't have as much caps lock as usual. I'm disappointed.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:25 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Farewell and adieu to you, fair DC ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of DC. For I've received orders for to sail back to Carolina. And so nevermore shall we see you but 7 times a year, again.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 07-30-2012 at 12:43 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Icetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Maybe you and NBTW can repair your relationship over your hatred of Semin. Also, your post didn't have as much caps lock as usual. I'm disappointed.
SEMIN is a PROBLEM CHILD.

I don't HATE the guy. I'm just HAPPY that he has MOVED ON.

SEEMS like too many CAPS FANS are UNREASONABLY NERVOUS that SEMIN will KILL US whenever he RETURNS.

IMO he will be far too DISTRACTED about the PROSPECT of many VODKA SODA'S with OVECHKIN and GREEN after the GAME.

Are you SAYING I should LAY OFF the CAPS LOCK?

Might not be a bad idea.

Last edited by Icetime: 07-30-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote