Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonathan Bernier??

Old
07-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

vCash: 500
Jonathan Bernier??

The guy has requested a trade and I think would be a fantastic pick up by featser. L.A fans were cheering for him to take over quicks spot at the start of the season. He is a former 11th overall pick and has the potential to be a franchise goalie down the road. The maple leafs have reportedly offered L.A Matt frattin and a 3rd. I think we could top them with a offer of Karllson, nemisez, 4th. They get a similar prospect in nemisez to frattin, plus they get a goalie in return to back up quick plus a 4th. Than with Bernier in the fold he can back up kipper this year and be counted on in big games. Irving could spend the year in the ahl or Europe and get some conditioning and than next season when kipper may be gone we could have Bernier to be our #1 and have ramo and Irving battle it out for the back up role.

Thoughts on proposal and the Jonathan Bernier himself??

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
The guy has requested a trade and I think would be a fantastic pick up by featser. L.A fans were cheering for him to take over quicks spot at the start of the season. He is a former 11th overall pick and has the potential to be a franchise goalie down the road. The maple leafs have reportedly offered L.A Matt frattin and a 3rd. I think we could top them with a offer of Karllson, nemisez, 4th. They get a similar prospect in nemisez to frattin, plus they get a goalie in return to back up quick plus a 4th. Than with Bernier in the fold he can back up kipper this year and be counted on in big games. Irving could spend the year in the ahl or Europe and get some conditioning and than next season when kipper may be gone we could have Bernier to be our #1 and have ramo and Irving battle it out for the back up role.

Thoughts on proposal and the Jonathan Bernier himself??
Just wondering where that was heard?

I don't think this is a big concern right now... With Irving, Ramo, Brossoit, Gillies, Ortio in the system... (yes I know about Irving, but I think it will all work out.)

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

It was posted by some hnic reporter on twitter. It was all offer the leaf board also. Plus I look at all the goalies you listed and I take Bernier over any of them all day. Ramo has already played in the NHL once and failed and bolted to Europe what's to say he won't fail again. Irving has been developing a long time and he would be the only one I'd be hesitant to move but if it's a 1 for 1 I again take Bernier all day. I mean all the goalies we have, have the possibility of maybe being future starters but even if they do I become starters I don't see any of them becoming great solid number 1's, most of them will probably turn out to be back ups. Where as Bernier has the ability to become a FRANCHSE goalie. Goalies with his talent and him only being 23 years old don't go on the market everyday and when they do you need to jump on them. He has Cory Schneider written all over MaYBE even better than Schneider, and look at Vancouver they are trying to ship luongo a franchise goalie out for Schneider. The fact is i think kipper has a max of 3 years left and by that time Bernier will be 26 and be in his prime. I can't think of anyone on the market that would be a better replacement for kipper in the future than Bernier.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:32 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
LA is going to be looking for a decent return for him, they won't accept a low-ball offer.

Nemisz
Karlsson (Dump)

is a start, but we would need to add another value asset and I would prefer not to give up another pick.

Maybe Ferland or Reinhart could get it done, but thats what I think it would take. I am not sure I make that deal.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

If we are adding another valuable asset like the two you mentioned above I don't do the deal either.

Old
07-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

LA would have no interest in Karlsson, its questionable if he is even an NHL caliber goalie. I think they would definitely have an interest in Irving, but we would need to add.

To Calgary:

Bernier

To LA:

Irving
Nemisz
2014 2nd

Those are all Sutter draft picks to, I bet they pull the trigger on that. Its alot, but I'd honestly do it. It would be small potatoes in the long run.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:47 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Yes I would acquire Bernier. Calgary should be grabbing goalies until they find one who can legitimately replace Kipper.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:55 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
LA would have no interest in Karlsson, its questionable if he is even an NHL caliber goalie. I think they would definitely have an interest in Irving, but we would need to add.

To Calgary:

Bernier

To LA:

Irving
Nemisz
2014 2nd

Those are all Sutter draft picks to, I bet they pull the trigger on that. Its alot, but I'd honestly do it. It would be small potatoes in the long run.
I could see LA taking that. Thing is there is no way id do it. Irving could end up being better than Bernier.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
It was posted by some hnic reporter on twitter.
Stopped reading here. Link or you've got nothing.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I could see LA taking that. Thing is there is no way id do it. Irving could end up being better than Bernier.
He could, but to this point Bernier has shown he has the potential to be a bonafide top starting goalie in this league. While Irving has shown lots of promise, Bernier would have to clearly be considered an upgrade.

I like Nemisz, but he will likely never be more than a 3rd liner at best. We used to say he would be a Nystrom with better hands, while the hands part is still true his skating remains a real issue. 3rd liners are extremely easy to replace in FA so to me, Nemisz is expendable.

We would have 2 sesaons to reacquire that 2nd. So really, we are losing Irving but getting an upgrade with elite potential, losing a potential 3rd liner at best that is easily replaceable, and a 2nd. If LA would do that deal, I'd absolutely make that trade.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:50 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

No if we are trading Irving. We finally get a good goalie that was brought up in our organization. We have put the time into getting him ready and now were just gonna trade him? No way.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Yeah, I'd offer Irving+ easily. At this point, we don't even know if Irving is going to remain in NA next year. Should he stay and lose out to Karlsson in training camp, he'd have to be waived to go the AHL.

Bernier would be a much more solid bet.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:33 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
He is better than any of our young goalies but the last thing we need is another goalie when we would have to give up significant assets.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:35 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

Ummm.. does everyone forget we have Ramo?!

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Going after Bernier would be a terrific waste of time and assets; assets which the Flames can ill afford to give up. When they're so many more pressing concerns to deal with, (i.e. centre quality, depth and defensive prospects), goaltending should be one of the last things the Flames should be thinking about.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Going after Bernier would be a terrific waste of time and assets; assets which the Flames can ill afford to give up. When they're so many more pressing concerns to deal with, (i.e. centre quality, depth and defensive prospects), goaltending should be one of the last things the Flames should be thinking about.
?... Kipper is 36 right after the start of next season, he's at an age that he could retire any year now. Irving played well in his NHL audition last year but let's keep it in perspective. He played less than 400 total minutes and had a GAA over 3, and he might not be on the NHL roster next season considering Karlsson is signed and Irving would have to clear waivers. Realistically, our goalie prospects are at a minimum of being ready 4 years from now.

How could we not use more security for goaltending at the NHL level?

Old
07-19-2012, 09:57 AM
tfong

Because we don't have the extra assets to waste on Bernier whom is relatively unproven. His numbers aren't out of this world either And Brossoit has huge numbers sofar especially in the playoffs.

So why give up anything for a position we are not weak at?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:02 AM
TheHudlinator

(To Fleury) While his 5v5 GAA was terrible he was lights out on the pk letting in 1.84 GAA while Kipper had 5.18 and Karlsson had 8.77. Irving Also faced an average of 33.1 shots a game while Kipper faced 27.9 and Karlsson faced 25.7. The only reason his GAA is so screwed is the Boston game with out that he had a GAA of 2.5.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:07 AM
tfong

Sav % is a better indicator than GAA.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:13 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Sav % is a better indicator than GAA.
Yes it is GAA is more of a team stat my point was with out one of the worst games I have ever seen Irving's GAA is rather good given that his team scored an average of 1.7 goals when he played without the boston game they scored an average of 2 (not great).

Old
07-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Because we don't have the extra assets to waste on Bernier whom is relatively unproven. His numbers aren't out of this world either And Brossoit has huge numbers sofar especially in the playoffs.

So why give up anything for a position we are not weak at?
I want to see what he can do in a professional league before I make any proclamations about him. There is a huge difference from the dub to the AHL.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:31 AM
tfong

Quote:
I want to see what he can do in a professional league before I make any proclamations about him. There is a huge difference from the dub to the AHL.
Berniers junior numbers weren't even as good is my reference point:p

From a raw potential standpoint Brossoit could be better than Bernier.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Berniers junior numbers weren't even as good is my reference point:p

From a raw potential standpoint Brossoit could be better than Bernier.
And my point is Junior is not "always" a good indicator of good a goalie will end up being. Goalies take a long time to develop and I want to see how Brossoit ends up doing in Abbotsford first. Obviously he has all the tools, hopefully he progresses as expected.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
(To Fleury) While his 5v5 GAA was terrible he was lights out on the pk letting in 1.84 GAA while Kipper had 5.18 and Karlsson had 8.77. Irving Also faced an average of 33.1 shots a game while Kipper faced 27.9 and Karlsson faced 25.7. The only reason his GAA is so screwed is the Boston game with out that he had a GAA of 2.5.
394 NHL minutes in 4 pro seasons. 6 and a half games. The stats are pretty irrelevant with that sample size.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:52 PM
tfong

Quote:
And my point is Junior is not "always" a good indicator of good a goalie will end up being. Goalies take a long time to develop and I want to see how Brossoit ends up doing in Abbotsford first. Obviously he has all the tools, hopefully he progresses as expected.
Oh I kno, I'm just questioning the need for another goalie prospect at this time. It's not like Bernier has eye poppin numbers in his limited starts.