HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

research request value of Biron + Boyle for Olsen + pick

Old
08-02-2012, 02:14 PM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I'd say Olsen is a relatively high end prospect. If Sketch is against bringing him at the cost of Olsen, that's one thing. Saying he'd be against moving a mid tier prospect or two - like Shalunov and LeBlanc - that'd be something else entirely.
Quote:
Would love to send a forward prospect out for Boyle, but in regards to NHL ready defensive depth? Past a question mark in Montador we've got a whole bunch of nothing and Olsen.
This is exactly what I have been saying. I don't see Boyle as being enough of an improvement to the incumbent players to warrant moving Olsen. If Johns, Holl, or Clendening were closer to being NHL ready I wouldn't have a problem with it, but as it stands now the Hawks have little NHL ready defensive depth. Injuries will happen, and in my opinion having Olsen ready to step up on D will contribute more to the season as a whole than having Boyle and Lalonde/Stanton.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I guess. I've never been a big Olsen fan, and find that prospects are just grossly overrated on HF. People always look at them and see an eventual NHL player that is better than the prospect actually turns out to be.

He's a very expendable roster piece, and very easily replaced. The Hawks have other capable defensemen in the pipeline too... it's just unnecessary to keep every single prospect you ever draft. That was just the way I was looking at it. It would be worth it. I'm not sure everyone realizes how big of an upgrade Boyle would actually be... he's good at just about everything the Blackhawks (as a team) are weak at.
Olsen is our only NHL ready D prospect. All the others are still 2 years away. Olsen can be seen as our depth and he is a good prospect. He looked OK and not out of place in his few NHL games - which is good for a rookie.

We could trade a lot of our prospects, no problem with it. You just don't trade your best D prospect for a bottom 6 player that will not be a Top6 player

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 04:12 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
I've said before that Boyle certainly brings a host of abilities this team sorely lacks. I just don't see a pipeline bursting with NHL ready defenseman.

We've got Olsen as the only guy close with upside. Stanton while close to ready is a finished product. He's a #7 at best. Clendening and Johns are each in college and won't be viable NHL options til next year at the earliest. Lalonde is a less defensively responsible Brian Connelly.

Would love to send a forward prospect out for Boyle, but in regards to NHL ready defensive depth? Past a question mark in Montador we've got a whole bunch of nothing and Olsen
In the scenario I am working out, Rangers may trade some of their Ds, this move is designed to cushion that blow; so while there can be some discussion about something in lieu or or in addition to Biron coming along with Boyle --- who I believe most of you agree is useful, just not sure as to the price --- the return must be Olsen + X, because Rangers would need an NHL ready D.

McNeil is very interesting, and along upgrade to Boyle, to which Rangers would have to add a pick, but would still prefer something around Boyle + x for Olsen + y.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 04:16 PM
bernmeister

Thanks to all for an informative and spirited discussion.

I have not audited each and every single post since the beginning, but it appears everyone who specified they were/were not in favor of the OP said so, with the balance being follow up discussion.

I have eyeballed all entries and without time to a hard count it appears that we are, or we are approximately split 50/50.

Let's see where this goes, with the principals being Olsen and Boyle, each side adding.

Again, thanks for participating...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

why don't you post it on the Main boards? Would want to know what other teams fans say

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote