HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

GM Report Card

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-27-2012, 07:53 PM
  #126
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by LombardiTool View Post
Pretty much. He did go,into more,specifics. Didn't like their draft. Doesn't like their centers... Specifically said they couldn't match with LA. Way overpaid for guys like and Wideman. Team very old and up against the cap.
That's the problem. If he would actually look at and evaluate the moves Feaster has made without that blatant ignorance then I would respect his viewpoint.

Every player that Calgary drafted (7) was ranked in the top 65 skaters amongst Central Scouting. Again, instead of evaluating the entirety of the draft he focuses on the supposed "reach" of Jankowski at 22. Did he not touch on the drafting of Baertschi, Guadreau, Granlund and Brossoit last year? Probably not, because as it stands now that looks like a positive!

Feaster has also completely taken it upon himself to lower the age group of the team, so that point is also moot.

Over the last year Calgary has lost;
33 year old Olli Jokinen
30 year old Rene Bourque
33 year old Tom Kostopoulos
33 year old Scott Hannan
37 year old Brendan Morrison
30 year old David Moss
32 year old Niklas Hagman
35 year old Daymond Langkow
33 year old Ales Kotalik
32 year old Robyn Regehr

Average Age - 32.8

Over the last year Calgary adds;
25 year old Chris Butler
26 year old Blake Comeau
26 year old Roman Cervenka
19 year old Sven Baertschi
30 year old Mike Cammalleri
25 year old Blair Jones
29 year old Dennis Wideman
28 year old Jiri Hudler
29 year old Lee Stempniak

Average Age - 26.33

---

Wideman might be slightly overpaid, but the market dictated his asking price (Wizniewski signing primarily). I did not hear the interview but I can assume that he did not mention that Wideman and Hudler fill two absolutely huge needs on the Flames current roster and undoubtedly make them a stronger team today?

Of course he also does not take into consideration the great signings of Giordano (4.02M), Glencross (2.55M) and Tanguay (3.5M) because he is being overly pessimistic.

The only legitimate concern he has in my opinion is in regards to the Flames center depth. As it stands now it is far to unproven.

Quite frankly I would give Feaster a B-/C+ myself.

Giving Feaster an F- based upon the fact that Calgary is not completely "rebuilding" is sheer ignorance.


Last edited by HighLifeMan: 07-27-2012 at 08:03 PM.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:55 PM
  #127
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,407
vCash: 50
Moves by Burke in the last year:
- Signed Liles, good cap hit for the number of points he gets. Compared to other offensive dmen who signed recently looks like a good deal.
- Traded Aullie for Ashton. Hockey trade for both clubs trading from a team strength for a weakness. Since both are still currently prospects, hindsight will tell us who wins the trade.
- Signed Grabbo. People generally don't like the amount he signed for, I personally think the cap hit is fair. He is an energy guy who gives his all and puts up some decent points.
- Acquired JVR for Schenn. Before the trade happened I can't count the number of times I heard people say Leafs would need to add a 2nd round pick. JVR adds size to our top forwards which was a need while trading from a positional strength. Great trade for Toronto in my opinion.
- Got Kulemin to sign to a fair contract for his past season performance which was a career low. Looks to be a great signing as he should rebound.
- Signed McClemant. Looks to be a good signing to help solidify our bottom 6 until our prospects are ready to take over in a couple years. Should also help our PK, but I'm not convinced until it happens due to other players such as Dupuis who were brought in to help but didn't.
- Signed Frattin to a contract that in my opinion will be a huge steal these next couple of seasons.
- The draft seemed solid. Didn't draft any current positional weaknesses which some are upset about but I'm okay with it since they would still be prospects and by the time they are developed it may no longer be a team weakness.
- Bought out Armstrong which was a mistake in my opinion. We have ample cap space to hold onto him/can afford to put in the minors. Appears Burke's morals made him buy him out thus giving Armstrong a chance to play somewhere else since he was no longer apart of the leafs future.
- Yet to resign Franson (if he remains a leaf is still yet to be determined)
- Didn't overpay for any UFAs, none really fit what we needed anyways so am happy about this.
- Yet to fill our #1 center or goalie position. No #1 centers have been traded yet so can't fault him for that. Apparently gave a very good offer to Brodeur but he didn't sign. Next best goalie was Vokoun who many are upset that we didn't try harder to get.

Out:
- Schenn
- Crabb
- Rosehill
- Armstrong
- Orr (to the minors, we will see if he makes a return this season)
- Gustavsson

In:
- JVR
- McClemant

Prospects will be able to fill in the holes left by those who left. Burke has said there will be more moves this offseason. Those moves will shape our roster to what it will look like next season as to whether we will be playing people like Lombardi + Connolly on the wings on the third line or if we will use some prospects who may be able to make the jump and are more suited for a bottom 6 role.

Overall grade I would give whatever grade you say is average. He has signed the UFAs he needed to. He didn't overpay for any UFAs. He hasn't yet filled any holes but there haven't been players to fill them traded yet so can't fault him for that in my opinion. Still lots more offseason to come which can change his grading.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:57 PM
  #128
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,571
vCash: 500
Cheveldayoff:

Out: Tanner Glass, Chris Mason, Tim Stapleton, Eric Fehr, Randy Jones, Mark Flood
In: Alexei Ponikarovsky, Olli Jokinen, Al Montoya, Mark Dekanich
UFA re-signings: Jim Slater, Kyle Wellwood, Derek Meech, Toby Enstrom (2013)
RFA re-signings: Ondrej Pavelec, Evander Kane (rumored to be close)

Overall I'd say the team improved up front but got worse from a goaltending standpoint. Going from Mason to Montoya is a downgrade.

Grade: B+

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:03 PM
  #129
Pohlow
Registered User
 
Pohlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Frisco, Tx
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
Ribeiro return was questionable, and no help on a pretty weak 'D'.
I liked the Roy/Ott trade, and the Jagr and Whitney signings, but they went from "hard to play against" to borderline soft.
Morrow and Robidas, being a big part of the leadership, still being around as well is kinda "eh" too.

I go B-.
Cody Eakin can fill Ott's role. Not as effective as Ott, but he can do it. With Morrow playing a more checking role this season, and the acquisition of Aaron Rome and Jagr, I would say we are just as hard to play against. Ott wasn't the only one on the team that could hit.

Pohlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:14 PM
  #130
TopicCreator
Registered User
 
TopicCreator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
So he lost your second best forward and captain, but its okay because he resigned your 4th line.
I don't consider Parise our second best forward, Kovalchuk and Elias imo are better (not from just a point production standpoint, just overall better). Even with the point production being the main argument he was 3rd in scoring during the season and then take out the empty net goals he got during the playoffs and he's probably 3-5th in scoring. Also the captain point isn't really much because he was captain for a year and might not have even been the best candidate for the captain spot in the first place (Kovalchuk, Elias).

Quote:
has opened the door for Zajac to follow Zachs lead and walk because the roster is in drastic need of youth to keep guys like that seeing a future in signing there with the lack of a pipeline and bankruptcy looming.

And that leads to lou's next gaffe...not giving up the 1st rounder they have to for the illegal Kovalchuk contract when it was 29th overall in a blah draft all to select a potential 3rd liner in Matteau.
Okay first of all... These two paragraphs completely contradict each other. You say our team has a drastic need of youth (even though we really don't) and then you bash Lou for trying to get more youth in our team?

Second of all... Have you even seen Matteau play yet? You know who else was projected to be a 3rd liner when they were drafted? Adam Henrique. In 2-3 years if Matteau even turns into half the player Henrique is then Lou would get heat for NOT drafting him.

Quote:
NJ fans can try and tell others how terrible he is but Zach is and was a huge part of that franchise and his loss with no replacement brought in will sting-----A TON.
No arguing that Zach was very good and fairly important to the Devils but he wasn't the entirety of the franchise. It will sting to not have him yes, but the absence of Zach does not make the Devils a pushover team. And who knows whether Lou can find a replacement, the off-season isn't over and anything from trading Bobby Ryan to a young rookie/prospect coming out of nowhere (ala Henrique) can happen.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
Nobody has to talk to Zajac.

Remove yourself as a devil fan for a second and think about it.

If you're Zajac, a kid who will be a huge Ufa next season and who will have probably 20 teams making offers, do you not think it highly likely he feels just like zack did and sign with a team not near financial ruin and one with a better current roster as well as a deep pool to supplement a good lineup in a salary capped league?

What do put the odds at of Zajac not reaching Ufa?

Lou has his work cut out just like he did with zack...if they struggle it wil be even a tougher sell then it was for zack
1) I hope you're not actually from the US because if you aren't foreign and you struggle with simple grammar then I feel like you would also struggle with handling internal team knowledge of your rival team.

2) Zajac will not leave like Parise did. Parise left because he was offered an impressive amount of money, given a chance to play at home with his family, and a chance to play alongside his apparently good friend Ryan Suter, to sum it up; money, family, and friends was Parise's reason. Zajac has nearly all (if not all) his brothers in the Devils system so it's pretty hard to abandon your brothers and disrespect the man that gave them the chance to play hockey in the first place.

3) Are the Devils REALLY in financial ruin? We just built an arena and we (like any other team would) have a fairly large debt to pay for it. We also had a bad year in which our financial revenue probably took a dive. Also, iirc most of the articles regarding the Devils financial troubles came from earlier in the year BEFORE our amazing money-making playoff run and AFTER our terrible year.

TopicCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:46 PM
  #131
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicCreator View Post
I don't consider Parise our second best forward, Kovalchuk and Elias imo are better (not from just a point production standpoint, just overall better). Even with the point production being the main argument he was 3rd in scoring during the season and then take out the empty net goals he got during the playoffs and he's probably 3-5th in scoring. Also the captain point isn't really much because he was captain for a year and might not have even been the best candidate for the captain spot in the first place (Kovalchuk, Elias).



Okay first of all... These two paragraphs completely contradict each other. You say our team has a drastic need of youth (even though we really don't) and then you bash Lou for trying to get more youth in our team?

Second of all... Have you even seen Matteau play yet? You know who else was projected to be a 3rd liner when they were drafted? Adam Henrique. In 2-3 years if Matteau even turns into half the player Henrique is then Lou would get heat for NOT drafting him.



No arguing that Zach was very good and fairly important to the Devils but he wasn't the entirety of the franchise. It will sting to not have him yes, but the absence of Zach does not make the Devils a pushover team. And who knows whether Lou can find a replacement, the off-season isn't over and anything from trading Bobby Ryan to a young rookie/prospect coming out of nowhere (ala Henrique) can happen.




1) I hope you're not actually from the US because if you aren't foreign and you struggle with simple grammar then I feel like you would also struggle with handling internal team knowledge of your rival team.

2) Zajac will not leave like Parise did. Parise left because he was offered an impressive amount of money, given a chance to play at home with his family, and a chance to play alongside his apparently good friend Ryan Suter, to sum it up; money, family, and friends was Parise's reason. Zajac has nearly all (if not all) his brothers in the Devils system so it's pretty hard to abandon your brothers and disrespect the man that gave them the chance to play hockey in the first place.

3) Are the Devils REALLY in financial ruin? We just built an arena and we (like any other team would) have a fairly large debt to pay for it. We also had a bad year in which our financial revenue probably took a dive. Also, iirc most of the articles regarding the Devils financial troubles came from earlier in the year BEFORE our amazing money-making playoff run and AFTER our terrible year.

somebody was asking about who those Devil fans were that want to convience everyone, including themselves just how unimportant and overated Zach was to the Devils, well look no further---here he is!

I like the "Zach shouldn't have been Captain in the first place---Kovalchuk should've been" stance...I'm sure that was your stance last summer as well.

But again you come up with no sound logic as to how will improve the team to earn that "A" devil fans are giving him.

all your hear from Devil fans is one of the following excuses=

--"the summer isn't over yet...who knows what can happen" -- real confidence inspiring right there

--"Lou can still get somebody to replace Zach's offense"---of course ignoring the fact that they are 4 weeks late for that---they're all gone!

--"Lou will make a trade...maybe for a Bobby Ryan"...my personal favorite because who are you trading for him..if it isn't Larson nobody else on the team comes close to getting anywhere near Ryan or a player of his stature.

3rd/4th liners and 4-5-6th dmen don't return a player that will significantly help what you lost when Zack bolted.

and please remember to tell me why it was a great idea to not give up the 29th pick in a blah draft when you have 2 give up the 2014 pick which is guarenteed to be lower....as in alot lower.

as for your 3 numbered points..you accuse me of not knowing about the internal working of my rival team and then go on to post how there hasn't been any finacial bankruptcy articles since last summer and prior to this yrs SCF run.

That is classic and somebody needs to read up on their OWN teams workings.

and I'm sure the whole"Zajac won't disrespect Lou" stance in your second point will be a huge factor in Travis biggest choice and contract of his professional life..

Zajac will have his choice of probrably 20 teams...do you really think a team like the Devils offers a better chance to win going forward over many other franchises out there...and one not facing financial situations that are on the verge of filing bankruptcy and then taken over by Gary Bettman?


Last edited by JR#9*: 07-27-2012 at 09:51 PM.
JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:47 PM
  #132
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
xX Hot Fuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9,818
vCash: 500
Bowman -C-

He didn't get us a 2C, goalie, or another top 4 Dman. In response to the leagues worst PP, he addresses it by hiring an ex Quenville guy who had a terrible pp in LA.

With all that said, atleast he didn't panic and overpay Carle or Wideman, he didn't trade any crucial pieces to get a stopgap like Rebeiro. You can tell he realized the trade/UFA market is obnoxious so he has to draft well, which he really has (especially this year). We have one of the best prospect pools in the league and he's setting the hawks up to have Stanley Cup depth again. We also have a lot of cap space to resign our key players.

I'm sure many hawks fans will ignore all of this and give him an F. Not surprising.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:54 PM
  #133
TopicCreator
Registered User
 
TopicCreator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
somebody was asking about who those Devil fans were that want to convience everyone, including themselves just how unimportant and overated Zach was to the Devils, well look no further---here he is!

I like the "Zach shouldn't have been Captain in the first place---Kovalchuk should've been" stance...I'm sure that was your stance last summer as well.

But again you come up with no sound logic as to how will improve the team to earn that "A" devil fans are giving him.

all your hear from Devil fans is one of the following excuses=

--"the summer isn't over yet...who knows what can happen" -- real confidence inspiring right there

--"Lou can still get somebody to replace Zach's offense"---of course ignoring the fact that they are 4 weeks late for that---they're all gone!

--"Lou will make a trade...maybe for a Bobby Ryan"...my personal favorite because who are you trading for him..if it isn't Larson nobody else on the team comes close to getting anywhere near Ryan or a player of his stature.

3rd/4th liners and 4-5-6th dmen don't return a player that will significantly help what you lost when Zack bolted.

and please remember to tell me why it was a great idea to not give up the 29th pick in a blah draft when you have 2 give up the 2014 pick which is guarenteed to be lower....as in alot lower.

as for your 3 numbered points..you accuse me of not knowing about the internal working of my rival team and then go on to post how there hasn't been any finacial bankruptcy articles since last summer and prior to this yrs SCF run.

That is classic and somebody needs to read up on their OWN teams workings.

and I'm sure the whole"Zajac won't disrespect Lou" stance in your second point will be a huge factor in Travis biggest choice and contract of his professional life..

Zajac will have his choice of probrably 20 teams...do you really think a team like the Devils offers a better chance to win going forward over many other franchises out there...and one not facing financial situations that are on the verge of filing bankruptcy and then taken over by Gary Bettman?
I never said Kovalchuk should've been the Captain, I meant Parise's role as a captain can be easily fixed with Elias or Kovalchuk (both with experience as captain). You complain about the constant arguments laid out by Devils players but you yourself constantly use the Devil's financial struggle and you seem to constantly think that the Devils are only going to decline from here on out. You seem to be trying to say that the Devils are gonna go from 2 wins away from a Stanley Cup to the New York Islanders in 2 years.

TopicCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:49 PM
  #134
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Every player that Calgary drafted (7) was ranked in the top 65 skaters amongst Central Scouting.
He could have held his original draft position and choose someone like Ceci but for whatever reason didn't. He chose, instead, to get too cute with the pick he did acquire. Ceci (Or a highly rated player like him) or what's his name - the choice should have been obvious. That is one of the big reasons why I think a C is more than fair.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:09 AM
  #135
Edgeworth*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,847
vCash: 500
Burke D-

Failed to react to the Leafs struggling goaltending issues early on despite everyone yelling at him too.

Failed to react to Trade Deadline when the Leafs were quickly sliding out of playoff contention by either selling or buying in.

Didn't make the playoffs.

Didn't make any real impact during free agency.

The draft was average. Decent pickups but nothing that help the team prospect wise. A lot of offensive d-men now.

The trade could be lateral, struggling D-man for struggling forward.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:43 AM
  #136
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromster View Post
At least give Homer a C+ for not only keeping things interesting with Weber, but also managing to get Jake signed before any other GMs could revenge-offersheet him.
Homer also got Grossmann for a 2nd and signed him for less than he would have received in this summer market.

I give him an A. Losing Carle was a plus. Suter/Parise and Weber attempts are what every team should want.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:45 AM
  #137
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Sather B+

Could get an A next year if the ultimate prize is won. His past offseasons makes me hesitant to give him the nod.
I would give Sather an A+ for as long as Gomez sucks and McDonagh is a key part of your D. Nash deal is also A+ worthy.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:46 AM
  #138
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
He could have held his original draft position and choose someone like Ceci but for whatever reason didn't. He chose, instead, to get too cute with the pick he did acquire. Ceci (Or a highly rated player like him) or what's his name - the choice should have been obvious. That is one of the big reasons why I think a C is more than fair.
Get cute? Calgary would have selected Jankowski at 14 if there was no one to trade down with...they had his name stitched on the Jersey.

They heavily scouted the kid and believed he was the BPA available. The extra 2nd round pick was just a bonus.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:46 AM
  #139
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Burke D-

Failed to react to the Leafs struggling goaltending issues early on despite everyone yelling at him too.

Failed to react to Trade Deadline when the Leafs were quickly sliding out of playoff contention by either selling or buying in.

Didn't make the playoffs.

Didn't make any real impact during free agency.

The draft was average. Decent pickups but nothing that help the team prospect wise. A lot of offensive d-men now.

The trade could be lateral, struggling D-man for struggling forward.
Getting JVR was a pretty solid move. A Top 6 forward with size that the Leafs needed.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:48 AM
  #140
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
Bryan Murray...D-........we got worse and a whole lot softer. I don't expect to make the playoffs this year. Most Sens fans would give him an A+ though even if he strangled a puppy at centre ice.
I don't get what Murray tried to do this summer. At his age, his moves seemed like the action of an immature mind in panic. Sens were doing fine last year, why so much shake up?

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:54 AM
  #141
Habsrback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
could have traded him before that...
Agreed, but Parise really vas vocal all year about how he wanted to stay in NJ. Unless insiders knew the opposite, I would not blame Lou as I simply think that Parise played everybody including his own teammates.

Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:10 AM
  #142
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA
 
LeafsandSharksfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,910
vCash: 500
I'll give a Burke a C-, outside of the Schenn/JVR swap he hasn't done very much this year and the Leafs were 26th in the league. While other Eastern teams are stacking up, Burke has failed to fill any of our real needs in net and on defence.

I get the feeling Burke's already made his big moves and now is just as baffled as we are that we can't get results.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:11 AM
  #143
Imlach a cup
Registered User
 
Imlach a cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
Feaster desperately needed centers, had very highly rated ones available at 14, traded down and made an ok pick. Still has terrible center depth. The team should have been rebuilt 3 years ago, the value of those vets just keeps dropping. Unfortunately his ownership is playing $>quality and so that roster isn't bad enough to get good picks and not good enough to win anything.

Lou built a team that made it to the cup finals. Problem is he gambled everything and doesn't have a big shiny sippy cup to show for it. Now he's stuck with a roster that's in decline and gambling on Henrique to keep improving into a true super star. What bothers me most though is how you don't forfeit that pck that probably develops into nothin but a third liner. That move alone should warrant a C.
Edit: The Sabres drafted more talent this season then you listed as your "talented" pipeline. In fact I see 5 teams that drafted better than your pipeline has total.

Darcy Regier signed Ville Leino to a 6 year deal at 4.5 a season. Luckily for him I like Hodgson and Erhroff. B

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:26 AM
  #144
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sudbury, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
Bryan Murray...D-........we got worse and a whole lot softer. I don't expect to make the playoffs this year. Most Sens fans would give him an A+ though even if he strangled a puppy at centre ice.
No. Most fans would give him a higher grade because he has done a very good job in the re-building process of this team. You're going to give him a D- because we got softer? Konopka and Carkner are top assets all of a sudden? People overrate goons. Take a look at our prospect pool. Take a look at our most recent draft. Take a look at the "last placed team" that took the Rangers to 7. Take a look at the positional needs addressed throughout the season. How on Earth do you give him a D-?!

Bryan Murray: B+

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:36 AM
  #145
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sudbury, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't get what Murray tried to do this summer. At his age, his moves seemed like the action of an immature mind in panic. Sens were doing fine last year, why so much shake up?
What shake up!? We lost Carkner, Konopka and Kuba! Two of the above barely saw the ice last season. Kuba is an aging piece that Murray decided to go elsewhere with. Bryan Murray went out and got a cheap, serviceable defenseman in Mike Lundin to fill the bottom pairing role left open. He went out and signed Latendresse to a very cheap one-year deal. This guy, like Lundin, has had some injury troubles but he has shown some high levels of potential in the past. If it doesn't work out, it's a one year deal. Tough luck.

Foligno for Methot. I'd say about half of the Sens fans on this board would say he (Foligno) was a top 6 forward while the other half would say he's a third liner. Either way, with the crop of young forwards with offensive talent coming up for the Senators, and the already filled spots in the top 6 going forward, Nick Foligno was serviceable and of value. Murray went out and addressed a major team need without going the FA route for someone they either weren't crazy about or someone they over commit or over pay for. Marc Methot seems like quite the under-rated defenseman and I think he'll thrive in Ottawa this season as he may even see ice-time with Mr. Norris himself.

There wasn't a "shake-up". Not even close. And we're not contending. Everyone is caught up on last season and how well we did based on our expectations. It seems that everyone is now thinking the Sens are ready to make a push sooner rather than later. That's not how it is. Bryan Murray is addressing positional needs and opening up spots for incoming rookies such as Jakob Silfverberg, Mika Zibanejad and Mark Stone. This time is about developing our young players that Murray has drafter and accumulated over the years.

Side note: Bryan Murray went out and got Kyle Turris this season. We may have found that 2nd line center the organization has been looking for since Vermette.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:54 AM
  #146
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
The ONLY GM worthy of an A+ is Dean Lombardi.

Traded for Richards and Carter, WON THE CUP, signs Jonathan Quick for a relatively cheap long-term deal, returns the ENTIRE Cup-winning team next season without losing a single player.

Oh and he still has a decent amount of space below the cap.

Can your GM top that?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:03 AM
  #147
TheyAreGoodScaryGood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
I gave regher an A:
Getting Hodgson and Sulzer for kassian was a steal

Trading the injured Roy on a one year deal for Ott was also a smart move IMO

Draft was amazing aswell

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:07 AM
  #148
YotesFan47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Country: United States
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Don Maloney
Current grade: B-
Expected grade by year end: A-/A+

Positives:
So far Don has done what looks like a good job in the draft though time will tell on guys like Samuelsson, Martinook, and Melindy. Brought Michalik back to the desert as well as resigning most of the key pieces (Chipchura and Summers). Has also added some good players that could impact the squad positively (Sullivan, Moss, and Johnson). Also brought in Vermette at the trade deadline to add some center depth.

Negatives:
Most of these cant be helped and unfortunately have a negative impact outside of Dons control because of the CBA negotiations and ownership standstill... Resigning of Shane Doan hasn't happened yet. Hasn't brought in a top 6 center or winger. Lost Ray Whitney to FA.

Conclusion:
I fully expect after some clarity is shined on Doan resigning and what the cap floor will be that Don will get gears turning again produce another cup contender. His grade will go up over the next 2-3 months.

YotesFan47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:14 AM
  #149
TheyAreGoodScaryGood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Get cute? Calgary would have selected Jankowski at 14 if there was no one to trade down with...they had his name stitched on the Jersey.
That is not something to be proud of, wouldve been an awful pick at 14

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 02:21 AM
  #150
Imlach a cup
Registered User
 
Imlach a cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
That is not something to be proud of, wouldve been an awful pick at 14
His argument is a prime example of why only Calgary fans think the flames are good.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.