HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stan-ding Pat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2013, 05:57 AM
  #251
The Good Doctor
RIP HST (1937-2005)
 
The Good Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas City
Country: United States
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
Stan Bowman clearly is history's greatest monster.

The Good Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:07 AM
  #252
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!
 
Sir Psycho T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 3,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
great, now we expect a Cup and if we don't win it, the summer will be awful with Coldsteel telling how bad Bowman is for not filling holes during the season and Bobby talking about wasted year while Hossa and Keith get older and older...
Right with all this talent we should just expect to get into the play-offs and nothing else. The last 2 years were amazing right?

Yes we expect a cup as we should. Vancouver, Boston, Pitt, etc all expect the same thing. The best teams expect to win, as in win the Championship, it's true in every sport.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:23 AM
  #253
KyleJRM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Right with all this talent we should just expect to get into the play-offs and nothing else. The last 2 years were amazing right?

Yes we expect a cup as we should. Vancouver, Boston, Pitt, etc all expect the same thing. The best teams expect to win, as in win the Championship, it's true in every sport.
Fans are not teams. Teams should expect to win every year to keep themselves motivated throughout the season. Fans can expect that if they want, but it doesn't help anything and sets them up for disappointment.

KyleJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:04 AM
  #254
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Right with all this talent we should just expect to get into the play-offs and nothing else. The last 2 years were amazing right?

Yes we expect a cup as we should. Vancouver, Boston, Pitt, etc all expect the same thing. The best teams expect to win, as in win the Championship, it's true in every sport.
Stop being a spoiled baby, and be happy we have a cup contender.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:30 AM
  #255
Retail1LO
Registered User
 
Retail1LO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 5,208
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Brendan Morrow is a free agent at the end of this season. I'd love to trade for him for the Cup run. He shouldn't cost a fortune and would give us some grit, leadership, and a wealth of playoff experience. I wouldn't even mind inking him to a deal for another year. Would love to work Corey Perry into the fold too but...there's just know way it's even remotely possible.

Retail1LO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:37 AM
  #256
Retail1LO
Registered User
 
Retail1LO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 5,208
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
The fact is, the NY Yankees exist in a world without any financial constraints whatsoever. They can literally buy the best talent available in the game on a whim, and field a team better than a handpicked all-star team from every other team in the league. They still don't win every World Series. Anyone can be beat Anyone. At any time.

Just ask the New England Patriots of 18-1 fame.

Retail1LO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:18 AM
  #257
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Right with all this talent we should just expect to get into the play-offs and nothing else. The last 2 years were amazing right?

Yes we expect a cup as we should. Vancouver, Boston, Pitt, etc all expect the same thing. The best teams expect to win, as in win the Championship, it's true in every sport.
No, we should expect more than the last 2 years. We should just realize that only 1 team can win the Cup and it wouldn't be the end of the world if we are not that 1 lucky team.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:34 AM
  #258
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotch View Post
No team is perfect, and no team can be perfect under a cap system.

I will take this team (when healthy) over any other in the league. That statement tells me Bowman has done his job. Of course he should continually look to improve the team, and I'm sure he does. But if Stan doesn't make a trade that doesn't mean he failed at his job.

Question: If Bowman stands pat and the Hawks lose game 7 in the SCF does that mean Stan failed?

Right now, as the team is constructed, I don't see a single hole that another team could exploit to give the Hawks less than a 50/50 chance at winning any playoff series (1st, 2nd, WCF, SCF). Sure the team could get better at the 2nd center spot but it doesn't have to in order to have a good shot at winning the Cup.
Simple question: would the Hawks have a significantly better chance to win the Cup with a legit 2nd line center? IMO, that's a big hell yes.

I agree with everything you say, except when the Hawks are this close, you do everything you can to win the Cup. Especially with a deep prospect pool and very limited roster spaces for them.


Last edited by Beukeboom Fan: 03-03-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:37 AM
  #259
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
No, we should expect more than the last 2 years. We should just realize that only 1 team can win the Cup and it wouldn't be the end of the world if we are not that 1 lucky team.
this+ the fact Bowman has consistently stocked our system with talented players and the hawks are poised to be serious contenders this season. so instead of selling the farm to try to win in one year we can compete every year.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:38 AM
  #260
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,991
vCash: 500
We would definitely be better with a 2nd line C, but nobody wants to give what it will take.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:32 PM
  #261
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!
 
Sir Psycho T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 3,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Stop being a spoiled baby, and be happy we have a cup contender.
Do we? We have a talented team, Cup contender? Haven't seen that the last 2 years. I'll be happy when this team succeeds in the play-offs.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:38 PM
  #262
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!
 
TorMenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rockford, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,905
vCash: 500
You have to be kidding. Yes we have a cup contender. Just because we didn't win the cup the last 2 years doesn't mean we didn't have a contender. Even if we didn't win this year, we'd still have a contender. Nobody is saying we have a championship team, but yes we have a team that has the potential to beat anyone, that is exactly what a contender is.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:43 PM
  #263
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Do we? We have a talented team, Cup contender? Haven't seen that the last 2 years. I'll be happy when this team succeeds in the play-offs.
Clearly, Vancouver wasn't a contender last year, neither was Boston, or Pittsburgh, or Detroit.

Clearly, if you lose in the playoffs, that means you weren't a contender over the course of the season.

I lurrrv it.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:41 PM
  #264
The Good Doctor
RIP HST (1937-2005)
 
The Good Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas City
Country: United States
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
The only team that's a contender is the one that wins the Cup. My logic is undeniable.

The Good Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:43 PM
  #265
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!
 
TorMenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rockford, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Doctor View Post
The only team that's a contender is the one that wins the Cup. My logic is undeniable.
I wouldn't really say undeniable because you said the only team that's a contender. I think the team playing the cup is also a contender since they are contending for the cup...

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:49 PM
  #266
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 22,596
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
I wouldn't really say undeniable because you said the only team that's a contender. I think the team playing the cup is also a contender since they are contending for the cup...
Pfft. More like cup pretender amirite?

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:53 PM
  #267
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,920
vCash: 500
FML, forget it.


Last edited by HockeySensible: 03-03-2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: flskaoenvoeanvonjldnvanvjakjabv
HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:19 PM
  #268
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,223
vCash: 500
Nothing wrong with wanting Chicago to fix its roster holes just because the team is very good already.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:23 PM
  #269
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 22,596
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Nothing wrong with wanting Chicago to fix its roster holes just because the team is very good already.
Nothing at all. And I'd be shocked if Bowman doesn't bring in some help at the trade deadline.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:25 PM
  #270
theaub
Lets go Hawks!
 
theaub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Markham, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,666
vCash: 500
Its funny because if the Hawks add a legit #2C and lose in the first round it'll be the same people complaining that Bowman gave up assets.

theaub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:27 PM
  #271
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Its funny because if the Hawks add a legit #2C and lose in the first round it'll be the same people complaining that Bowman gave up assets.
Given the specific opinions people like me have put out there, I highly doubt this.

Assuming, of course, it is indeed a legitimate #2C as you suggested. Not a joke like Morrison.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:31 PM
  #272
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Given the specific opinions people like me have put out there, I highly doubt this.

Assuming, of course, it is indeed a legitimate #2C as you suggested. Not a joke like Morrison.
People cried about giving up a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a legitimate top-4 Dman because we lost in the first round. They'd lose their minds if Bowman gave up a McNeill or Danault or something tangible for a #2C and we lost in the playoffs.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:56 PM
  #273
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 22,596
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
People cried about giving up a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a legitimate top-4 Dman because we lost in the first round. They'd lose their minds if Bowman gave up a McNeill or Danault or something tangible for a #2C and we lost in the playoffs.
People lost their minds because a bunch of folks hated Oduya and didn't think he was a top 4 defenseman.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:09 PM
  #274
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
People lost their minds because a bunch of folks hated Oduya and didn't think he was a top 4 defenseman.
And those bunch of people would still bring that up if Oduya ever had a bad stretch. Bowman haters gon hate.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:14 PM
  #275
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,150
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Its funny because if the Hawks add a legit #2C and lose in the first round it'll be the same people complaining that Bowman gave up assets.
Never, not even even for rental. If they lose it means they needed more, makes the move even more favorable.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.