HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stan-ding Pat

Old
03-03-2013, 05:57 AM
The Good Doctor
RIP HST (1937-2005)

vCash: 500
Stan Bowman clearly is history's greatest monster.

The Good Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:07 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
great, now we expect a Cup and if we don't win it, the summer will be awful with Coldsteel telling how bad Bowman is for not filling holes during the season and Bobby talking about wasted year while Hossa and Keith get older and older...
Right with all this talent we should just expect to get into the play-offs and nothing else. The last 2 years were amazing right?

Yes we expect a cup as we should. Vancouver, Boston, Pitt, etc all expect the same thing. The best teams expect to win, as in win the Championship, it's true in every sport.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:23 AM
KyleJRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Right with all this talent we should just expect to get into the play-offs and nothing else. The last 2 years were amazing right?

Yes we expect a cup as we should. Vancouver, Boston, Pitt, etc all expect the same thing. The best teams expect to win, as in win the Championship, it's true in every sport.
Fans are not teams. Teams should expect to win every year to keep themselves motivated throughout the season. Fans can expect that if they want, but it doesn't help anything and sets them up for disappointment.

KyleJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:

Stop being a spoiled baby, and be happy we have a cup contender.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Brendan Morrow is a free agent at the end of this season. I'd love to trade for him for the Cup run. He shouldn't cost a fortune and would give us some grit, leadership, and a wealth of playoff experience. I wouldn't even mind inking him to a deal for another year. Would love to work Corey Perry into the fold too but...there's just know way it's even remotely possible.

Retail1LO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
The fact is, the NY Yankees exist in a world without any financial constraints whatsoever. They can literally buy the best talent available in the game on a whim, and field a team better than a handpicked all-star team from every other team in the league. They still don't win every World Series. Anyone can be beat Anyone. At any time.

Just ask the New England Patriots of 18-1 fame.

Retail1LO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:

No, we should expect more than the last 2 years. We should just realize that only 1 team can win the Cup and it wouldn't be the end of the world if we are not that 1 lucky team.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotch View Post
No team is perfect, and no team can be perfect under a cap system.

I will take this team (when healthy) over any other in the league. That statement tells me Bowman has done his job. Of course he should continually look to improve the team, and I'm sure he does. But if Stan doesn't make a trade that doesn't mean he failed at his job.

Question: If Bowman stands pat and the Hawks lose game 7 in the SCF does that mean Stan failed?

Right now, as the team is constructed, I don't see a single hole that another team could exploit to give the Hawks less than a 50/50 chance at winning any playoff series (1st, 2nd, WCF, SCF). Sure the team could get better at the 2nd center spot but it doesn't have to in order to have a good shot at winning the Cup.
Simple question: would the Hawks have a significantly better chance to win the Cup with a legit 2nd line center? IMO, that's a big hell yes.

I agree with everything you say, except when the Hawks are this close, you do everything you can to win the Cup. Especially with a deep prospect pool and very limited roster spaces for them.

Last edited by Beukeboom Fan: 03-03-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:37 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
No, we should expect more than the last 2 years. We should just realize that only 1 team can win the Cup and it wouldn't be the end of the world if we are not that 1 lucky team.
this+ the fact Bowman has consistently stocked our system with talented players and the hawks are poised to be serious contenders this season. so instead of selling the farm to try to win in one year we can compete every year.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Hawkaholic

We would definitely be better with a 2nd line C, but nobody wants to give what it will take.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Stop being a spoiled baby, and be happy we have a cup contender.
Do we? We have a talented team, Cup contender? Haven't seen that the last 2 years. I'll be happy when this team succeeds in the play-offs.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:38 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

You have to be kidding. Yes we have a cup contender. Just because we didn't win the cup the last 2 years doesn't mean we didn't have a contender. Even if we didn't win this year, we'd still have a contender. Nobody is saying we have a championship team, but yes we have a team that has the potential to beat anyone, that is exactly what a contender is.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 05:43 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Do we? We have a talented team, Cup contender? Haven't seen that the last 2 years. I'll be happy when this team succeeds in the play-offs.
Clearly, Vancouver wasn't a contender last year, neither was Boston, or Pittsburgh, or Detroit.

Clearly, if you lose in the playoffs, that means you weren't a contender over the course of the season.

I lurrrv it.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:41 PM
The Good Doctor
RIP HST (1937-2005)

The only team that's a contender is the one that wins the Cup. My logic is undeniable.

The Good Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:43 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Doctor View Post
The only team that's a contender is the one that wins the Cup. My logic is undeniable.
I wouldn't really say undeniable because you said the only team that's a contender. I think the team playing the cup is also a contender since they are contending for the cup...

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:49 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
I wouldn't really say undeniable because you said the only team that's a contender. I think the team playing the cup is also a contender since they are contending for the cup...
Pfft. More like cup pretender amirite?

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:53 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

FML, forget it.

Last edited by HockeySensible: 03-03-2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: flskaoenvoeanvonjldnvanvjakjabv
Old
03-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Nothing wrong with wanting Chicago to fix its roster holes just because the team is very good already.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:23 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Nothing wrong with wanting Chicago to fix its roster holes just because the team is very good already.
Nothing at all. And I'd be shocked if Bowman doesn't bring in some help at the trade deadline.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:25 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Its funny because if the Hawks add a legit #2C and lose in the first round it'll be the same people complaining that Bowman gave up assets.

theaub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Its funny because if the Hawks add a legit #2C and lose in the first round it'll be the same people complaining that Bowman gave up assets.
Given the specific opinions people like me have put out there, I highly doubt this.

Assuming, of course, it is indeed a legitimate #2C as you suggested. Not a joke like Morrison.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:31 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Given the specific opinions people like me have put out there, I highly doubt this.

Assuming, of course, it is indeed a legitimate #2C as you suggested. Not a joke like Morrison.
People cried about giving up a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a legitimate top-4 Dman because we lost in the first round. They'd lose their minds if Bowman gave up a McNeill or Danault or something tangible for a #2C and we lost in the playoffs.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:56 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
People cried about giving up a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a legitimate top-4 Dman because we lost in the first round. They'd lose their minds if Bowman gave up a McNeill or Danault or something tangible for a #2C and we lost in the playoffs.
People lost their minds because a bunch of folks hated Oduya and didn't think he was a top 4 defenseman.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:09 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
People lost their minds because a bunch of folks hated Oduya and didn't think he was a top 4 defenseman.
And those bunch of people would still bring that up if Oduya ever had a bad stretch. Bowman haters gon hate.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:14 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Never, not even even for rental. If they lose it means they needed more, makes the move even more favorable.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote