Old
08-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I more or less agree with this, at least the angle. To expand on it:

If you like doing things "the way Steve says you have to," then an iPhone would be just fine. If you happen to like the Apple design aesthetic, layout, and explicit workflow orientation, then everything is right there laid out for you.

However, it's important to remember that the iPhone has absolutely no flexibility whatsoever. If you don't (to go back to the now old joke) "hold it right" it simply won't do what you want it to do, ever. It's not changing for you. If there's something you do differently, either you'll have to conform to it, or just never do that at all.

If you want some control, or even are just willing to put that bit of effort into your phone to make it how you like it, Android offers a wide variety of customization options. From complete launcher changes (just look at the differences between Sense, Touchwiz, ADW, LauncherPro, Motoblur, stock, or any other launcher option) to the ability to change you keyboard and more, you can change your phone to fit how you use it. It tends to be a lot more work, and it's not always just handed to you, ready to go, but it will do what you want, rather than force you into its envelope.
I definately see where you guys are coming from, the Iphone is more user friendly, not much customization involved. Whereas with the Droid you can customize alot more. Just from playing around on my ipod touch i can see how this could be the case....

Old
08-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Priest View Post
sorry, what i meant by "come again" was i didn't really understand what you meant so therefore i probably shouldn't get a droid.
Mmk. To expand on that a bit.

Open source, for the sake of argument, is the Linux OS. You can do damn near anything with it, but, for that option, you pay with potential stability issues.

Apple is, and likely always will be, the other end of the spectrum. They keep a very tight clamp on how things work - some people don't like that, some are fine with it - but they do so to provide something that's extremely stable, and usually very easy to use once you get used to their system. Some people don't like that either, but I don't think I've ever met a single person, while doing almost 2 years of tech support for Apple (I don't anymore, so I'm not just schilling their products, I genuinely like them) who couldn't get used to iOS.

If you've always been a windows/mac guy, I think the iPhone would be a better choice, unless you're a very tech-savvy person in general. If you've ever thought about Linux, and thought "man, that sounds like fun...", get a Droid and don't look back.

Old
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I definately see where you guys are coming from, the Iphone is more user friendly, not much customization involved. Whereas with the Droid you can customize alot more. Just from playing around on my ipod touch i can see how this could be the case....
If you like how your iPod does things, you'll probably like the iPhone as they're literally the same thing (except the iPod doesn't have a cellular radio). Just keep in mind, anything that your iPod does that you don't like will be exactly the same on the iPhone. But any Verizon store, Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc should let you play around with some floor models in the store. Just be aware that a lot of people have probably been beating on them, and some are bound to be broken.

Old
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

I definitely love being able to customize my own. Can't get much of it on an iPhone. I can barely stand my ipods and using my sister and moms iphones sometimes. I love the Droid. Like a small computer in my hand.

Old
08-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post

Open source, for the sake of argument, is the Linux OS. You can do damn near anything with it, but, for that option, you pay with potential stability issues.

Apple is, and likely always will be, the other end of the spectrum. They keep a very tight clamp on how things work - some people don't like that, some are fine with it - but they do so to provide something that's extremely stable, and usually very easy to use once you get used to their system. Some people don't like that either, but I don't think I've ever met a single person, while doing almost 2 years of tech support for Apple (I don't anymore, so I'm not just schilling their products, I genuinely like them) who couldn't get used to iOS.

If you've always been a windows/mac guy, I think the iPhone would be a better choice, unless you're a very tech-savvy person in general. If you've ever thought about Linux, and thought "man, that sounds like fun...", get a Droid and don't look back.
So basically your changing things and it can start to flake out on you?

Old
08-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

This is probably a tough question but what kind of things can you customize on a droid?

Old
08-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
This is probably a tough question but what kind of things can you customize on a droid?
As much as you could expect to.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
What was wrong with the phone? The vast majority of complaints I've ever seen have fallen into 3 categories: things which are identical to other smartphones (ie the iPhone has the exact same issue), things which are easily fixed but the user never bothered (ie didn't like the keyboard, never tried to use a different one), or flat out defectives (ie the touchscreen generally didn't register input). It's been an extremely rare situation where I've heard a complaint that actually exposed a problem with even the model of phone, much less the OS itself. Without some idea of what the issues you've had are, most experienced people are just going to assume operator error.
The phones I have had have all had to eventually be replaced because of the bolded. Gone through 9 phones since August of 2010 because of this. I don't do anything on them other than call, text and take/send pictures, and casually surf the Internet (99% of it being HF).

Currently I am using a Motorola Charm. Can't remember the other models I have used being that I have gone through so many.

I like the open source aspect of everything, but I shouldn't have to re-program the factory settings to get myself a working phone- if that's the case.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:03 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

I'd say the biggest difference is whether you want to change yourself to use the OS, or if you think the OS should adjust to you. Adjusting the OS can be more work (depending on what you're trying to do, and where you start) but things work how you want them to. Adjusting your behavior to adhere to the OS can be hit or miss depending on what issues you need to work out.

Quote:
If you've always been a windows/mac guy, I think the iPhone would be a better choice, unless you're a very tech-savvy person in general.
I'd strongly disagree with the first part of this. If you've always been an OSX type, then the iPhone is the natural next step. However, it's not so clear cut for Windows users. If you're even of slightly below average tech ability, the choice isn't so clear. It really depends a lot on personal taste (I could never ever ever submit myself to the abomination that is the iOS keyboard, it's just inexcusably bad in every way imaginable) and to a lesser extent, comfort with adjusting things. If you can download an app, you can swap out your Android keyboard or launcher or widget suite. I'd say that outside of two very small extreme groups (that's to say OSX users and *nix users) it's more or less a personal taste issue with the real nuts and bolts of the systems.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Looks like this thread will likely end when neither mods will be around...

Old
08-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

The touchscreen could be better. But it could also be worse. Apple has perfected the touchscreen. But Motorola and other phones have come a long way. My last phone was touchscreen and it was fairly bad. However, it never broke and it still lasted me over 3 years. I've had my Droid Razr for 5-6 months now and I absolutely love it, the touch screen is a step below Apple, but it still works great.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:10 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
The phones I have had have all had to eventually be replaced because of the bolded. Gone through 9 phones since August of 2010 because of this. I don't do anything on them other than call, text and take/send pictures, and casually surf the Internet (99% of it being HF).

Currently I am using a Motorola Charm. Can't remember the other models I have used being that I have gone through so many.

I like the open source aspect of everything, but I shouldn't have to re-program the factory settings to get myself a working phone- if that's the case.
In the phones I've dealt with directly or near enough to (ended up more or less "owning" all of my immediate coworkers' phones at my last job) I've been involved with around a dozen various Android phones and a half dozen iPhones (if you count non-phones, make it a dozen iOS devices). Out of those, I've seen two defectives, a Motorola Droid (Gen 1) and an iPhone 3G. Personally, I won't buy a Motorola phone because they've been mass producing low quality devices since the original (dumbphone) Razr and probably beyond. Brand can make a huge difference in phones, and all of my phones and the ones I've recommended are always HTC phones.

That said, your use case sounds like the type that just naturally lends itself to iOS. The less you demand of your phone, the less likely you are to use any of those areas where Android really shines.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:11 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
The touchscreen could be better. But it could also be worse. Apple has perfected the touchscreen. But Motorola and other phones have come a long way. My last phone was touchscreen and it was fairly bad. However, it never broke and it still lasted me over 3 years. I've had my Droid Razr for 5-6 months now and I absolutely love it, the touch screen is a step below Apple, but it still works great.
Up until the most recent iPhone (and possibly including it) "Apple touchscreens" were manufactured by Samsung. In fact, the major parts of iPhones are generally either Samsung or Qualcomm manufactured.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Looks like this thread will likely end when neither mods will be around...
Yea...I'm sure you won't be lurking...right....

Old
08-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Nope, I'm gone for real this time.

Have a good night everyone.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

Quote:

That said, your use case sounds like the type that just naturally lends itself to iOS. The less you demand of your phone, the less likely you are to use any of those areas where Android really shines.

I think your right.....i'd probably be one of the least demanding phone owners out there. I'm still not even sure if i want to drop 30 bucks a month to earn the privilege to use one....

Old
08-12-2012, 10:19 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
The biggest things that can be changed are probably these:

Keyboard - There's dozens of different keyboard options from Swype (where you swipe keys instead of typing) to imitation iOS keyboards to ones where the 'E' is bigger than the 'Z' key. Personally, I use the Sense keyboard.

Launcher - This is the basic appearance of the phone. The "desktop" so to speak as well as the launch buttons at the bottom of the home screen. It's a little difficult to just explain by typing. The best way to see this is to find an HTC phone in a store (will use SenseUI) and compare what it looks like to a Samsung phone (will probably use TouchWiz or stock Android). You can even make the phone behave more or less like a Windows Phone 7 device.

Widgets - These are little gadget type things you can place on your desktop. From clocks to Twitter displays to power control shortcuts they do a lot of things.

There's lots of other things that can be customized out (lockscreen, notification behavior, and beyond) but I think these three are probably the big ones.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Indeed. But since I am broke and am not willing to pay $80-90 on service alone, I am stuck using my Android. As much as I dislike Androids, T-Mobile has a special place on my ****list.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
So basically your changing things and it can start to flake out on you?
Long and short, yeah. When you've got much more moving parts, more things can go wrong.

Now, I'm not talking combustion engines to a fusion engine here, but we are talking diesel to gas.

Quote:
I'd say the biggest difference is whether you want to change yourself to use the OS, or if you think the OS should adjust to you. Adjusting the OS can be more work (depending on what you're trying to do, and where you start) but things work how you want them to. Adjusting your behavior to adhere to the OS can be hit or miss depending on what issues you need to work out.

I'd strongly disagree with the first part of this. If you've always been an OSX type, then the iPhone is the natural next step. However, it's not so clear cut for Windows users. If you're even of slightly below average tech ability, the choice isn't so clear. It really depends a lot on personal taste (I could never ever ever submit myself to the abomination that is the iOS keyboard, it's just inexcusably bad in every way imaginable) and to a lesser extent, comfort with adjusting things. If you can download an app, you can swap out your Android keyboard or launcher or widget suite. I'd say that outside of two very small extreme groups (that's to say OSX users and *nix users) it's more or less a personal taste issue with the real nuts and bolts of the systems.
Bolded is an EXTREMELY nice sum-up.

As for the rest, keep in mind, most windows users are not what I'm assuming you think of when you think of windows users.

When I lump in windows and osx, it's in the sense that neither of them are anywhere near as open as a Linux distro. They're both OS's designed for the masses.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Dee Oh Cee

I have a samsung galaxy. I haven't had a problem with it as of yet.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

Well tomorrow or the next day i think i'm going into my local verizon store.....there is no better way to learn then by doing......

Old
08-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

I'm crashing for the night, but if anyone has iPhone questions, now or in the future, either ask here or PM me.

Might as well get some use out of 20 months of working for Apple... It's not like the jerks paid me a living wage for it.

*pouts*

Old
08-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Well tomorrow or the next day i think i'm going into my local verizon store.....there is no better way to learn then by doing......
Yea. I spent a few hours in the Verizon store before I even thought about purchasing one.

Old
08-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

I'm going to watch an episode of prison break (I know i'm way behind on shows, sue me), but before i do..... The iphone 5 is suppose to be out sometime this fall, what are brand new phones typically priced at?

Old
08-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Depends if you get a plan or not. I'm assuming you are. So it'll be around $150-300 with a plan.

Closed Thread