HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Reborn: Final Fantasy 14 2.0 (Beta Phase 3, No NDA! Server:Gungnir for beta)

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2012, 07:21 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

vCash: 500
Reborn: Final Fantasy 14 2.0 (Beta Phase 4 - August 16th,Server:Excalibur)

There is no longer a non-disclosure agreement, except on certain video links.

General Information:
Server? For beta phase 4 and the actual game itself, my Linkshell and I are located on the Excalibur server.

Guild/Linkshell? We have one with old school WoW/FFXI players in it, and everyone here is more than welcome to join us. We are called Teenage Mutant Ninja Quadavs (after a turtle mob in FFXI) and generally we use that moniker or TMNQ for short.

Focus of the guild? Content! We just do as much as we can with whoever we can whenever we can. If you want to see end game content or PVP with people or just get to know people and socialize, come join us!

Live server will be Excalibur!

Last edited by Orpheus: 08-08-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old
07-28-2012, 10:48 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Nice post. I'll probably get it for PS3, the only one I don't own is FF11.

Old
07-28-2012, 01:22 PM
leova

it looks like those screenshots are incredibly cluttered...yeah, i get that its an MMO and people like data, but that first one especially just looks ridiculous

Old
07-28-2012, 01:25 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
I'll probably try it. I loved FF11 and I was really disappointed when FF14 face-planted so hard at launch. I'll give them a shot at redemption.

Old
07-28-2012, 01:28 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post
it looks like those screenshots are incredibly cluttered...yeah, i get that its an MMO and people like data, but that first one especially just looks ridiculous
And they're not half as cluttered as every other ADD-fest MMO out there at this current moment...

Old
07-28-2012, 02:51 PM
LordsCup*

I'll give it a shot if its as good as your making it sound. FF14 I never tried because of the terrible, terrible reviews it got.

Old
07-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

14 sucked so much dick. They tried to change it to the point where it didn't feel like Final Fantasy. You can't change certain things. 2.0 definitely looks better.

Old
07-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Everlasting

If i ever start with an MMO, it will be this game. Listened to some songs and they were great, god i love Uematsu

Old
07-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin929 View Post
If i ever start with an MMO, it will be this game. Listened to some songs and they were great, god i love Uematsu
Only good thing about Version 1.0 was Uematsu's score.

Old
07-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin929 View Post
Agreed on this. Not a big MMO fan, I've only really played and enjoyed Phantasy Star Online.

Old
07-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

To people that say the UI is cluttered: It's fully resizeable at the moment and in 2.0 they will be allowing custom UI options/mods

If you buy it for the Ps3 and PC, you can access your characters from the other. For instance, I used to play on my PS3 until it came time to do dungeons, then switch to PC..lol. The game plays more smoothly with a controller though, but I play just fine with a keyboard.

Like I said, the game is currently $15-20 and while it's far from perfect in it's current state (it still has a lot of animation lag problems that won't be fixed until 2.0) I still have a blast playing it and was willing to overlook the engine because the game was so good.

And for people that like the music, this is my absolutely favorite song in the game:

That would be moogles singing to you about how they are going to beat you up...while you fight them Also uses the FF6 moogle theme..and sounds like something out of Nightmare Before Christmas

Edit: Oh, and to the comment that the game did not feel like FF at all when 14 first came out: Completely agree. Luckily they'd added the job system as well Ifrit, Garuda, Moogles, and Odin is coming so things are getting much better. The new director said FF14 was a "disgrace" in it's current state when he was hired after the old one was moved to another department.

Weakest parts of the game right now are probably the animation system (the animations are beautiful but they lock your character into place, so it makes dodging AOE's very hard but you can work around that with timing) and leveling. It's better to just be powerleveled at times because leveling solo can get boring. But, it only takes about a week to hit level cap, some people can do it in days for a battle class

Last edited by Orpheus: 07-28-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old
07-28-2012, 07:31 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Is there a monthly subscription at the moment? The price is good at the moment but I worry that I won't get good value out of a monthly subscription as I'd likely only play a few hours a week.

Old
07-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Is there a monthly subscription at the moment? The price is good at the moment but I worry that I won't get good value out of a monthly subscription as I'd likely only play a few hours a week.
Yeah, they brought the monthly back in January from what I remember reading.

If it didn't have a monthly I would be in.

Old
07-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Yeah, the readded the monthly fee and have double the people playing than before the fee was added for various reasons.

But the game is cheap and comes with 30 days free, so there is that.

But yea, if you are only going to play a few hours a week and dont preplan what you want to do, it probably is not worth it.

I'll write a little class overview later tonight and post it here to give people a bit more information

Old
07-30-2012, 04:43 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Honestly the Pay Per Play Final Fantasy's should be separate from the rest. I hate the fact that 11 and 14 are no-goes for me because I refuse to play pay per play games.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Honestly the Pay Per Play Final Fantasy's should be separate from the rest. I hate the fact that 11 and 14 are no-goes for me because I refuse to play pay per play games.
While I understand that sentiment, FFXI quite possibly has the best story in a Final Fantasy game ever once you get down to it. The games are very much "in line" with the FF series, but I fully understand that people feel that having two MMO's in the series kind of prevents people from "beating" the series.

Thematically though, FFXI and FFXIV are far closer to a Final Fantasy game than say..13, and I actually like 13

Job post still coming, will be up tonight!

Old
07-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
Only good thing about Version 1.0 was Uematsu's score.
His music is so good i consider him to be just as important as Sakaguchi for Final Fantasy. He is... god.

Old
07-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Mini- Job Guide

Everyone that starts playing Final Fantasy 14 starts playing as one of the 7 classes (or a crafting or a gathering profession). Classes can equip up to 10 (at 50) skills from other classes to help customize their character. So you want to be a Conjurer with provoke? That's doable, although probably not as useful as a Lancer with Raise.

However, upon hitting level 30 in a class, a quest line opens up to unlock a job. Jobs are far more powerful upgrades over classes, gaining access to 5 new extremely powerful moves as well as very distinct armor. The only downside is, instead of being about to choose 10 skills from other classes to compliment yourself, you can only pick 5 from 2 predetermined classes. This may sound limiting, but the jobs are so powerful that the tradeoff is always worth it.

So to begin:

Warrior
A tank/damage dealer hybrid, the Warrior is an upgrade of the Marauder class. Excelling at AOE damage, the Warrior is built for dealing with large groups of monsters that need to be burned down fast.

Paladin
The pure tank class, this upgrade over the Gladiator is the best tank at absorbing damage. Capable of healing itself and others for threat, the Paladin has less AOE threat capabilities than the Warrior, but makes up for it with better single target threat.

White Mage
The healer. Upgraded from Conjuror, White Mages also have fairly solid nuking capabilities but their usual purpose in groups is healing the wounded through both preventive healing, and reactionary. White Mages use Water, Earth and Wind magic.

Black Mage
The magic damage dealer. A thaumaturge gets infused with black magic at 30, turning into the Black Mage. Using Thunder, Fire and Ice, the Black Mage is the class with one specific goal: blow stuff up.

Bard
The ranged physical damage dealer, but with a twist. Utilizing the basic skills from Archer, Bard also adds way more firepower as well as group support songs, buffing the group as a whole.

Monk
The acrobatic physical damage dealer. An upgrade over the pugilist, the monk gains devastating fist weapon abilities, along with the ability to cause elemental damage with their fists.

Dragoon
The heavy hitting damage dealer, Dragoons utilize jumps as well as more powerful version of lancer abilities to decimate opponents. Hard hitting and also very powerful, the Dragoon is the last job left to talk about, but certainly not the least

I'll add other info about the game later if people are still interested

Old
07-30-2012, 07:27 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Honestly if it's a FF game and uses some variation of the job system people should be familiar with the classes without having to play the game.

Old
07-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Honestly if it's a FF game and uses some variation of the job system people should be familiar with the classes without having to play the game.
Perhaps, but people may not be familiar with what traditional MMO jobs they can fill, for instance a Warrior tank, when they were largely damage dealers post level 30 in FFXI.

Edit: Forgot to add, I know people drawn to FFXIV who have never played Final Fantasy before, but are interested based on name and it being a MMO, so I'm just trying to provide information to people.

Last edited by Orpheus: 07-31-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old
08-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Apologies for bumping my old topic, but gameplay has finally been released! And it looks a-freaking-mazing!

If this piques people's interests, I'll add brand new screenshots and more video and such

If you want to see the new batch of screenshots yourself, go to http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs...15_553349.html (beware, Japanese) or one of your other favorite video game websites

Hopefully people can see what I was talking about now

Old
08-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Does this require a monthly fee?

Old
08-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Does this require a monthly fee?
Yup! The way it works is as follows:

2.0 is expected to launch in January- Feb, but people (such as myself) are playing the game currently. Before the servers go down in September, anyone who pays for 3 months of the game gets to only pay a monthly fee of 9.99 for 8 characters per server for the rest of the time.

Everyone else either pays 12.99 for one character per server (while this might sound strange to a WoW player, you really do not need another character in the Final Fantasy MMO's) and 14.99 for multiple characters per server.

While I know a lot of MMO's are moving towards free to play, and that is always a chance here, FFXI and currently 14 are two games I'll never regret paying monthly for, I get my money's worth out of them easily (as opposed to WoW, where the end game seems stagnant to me and once the content is done, I was bored). However, if you cannot play all that much, it may not be for you.

Hope the information helped

Old
08-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Dugray
No Gifs This Time

How long are the servers down for? From September right through January/February? Blah.

Old
08-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugray View Post
How long are the servers down for? From September right through January/February? Blah.
Correct but SE has said they are going to try really hard to get all the current subscribers (especially Legacy members) into the Final Fantasy 14 2.0 beta that starts in September. They have, like any company would, stated that it's not guaranteed, but they'd like to make sure everyone gets in at some point to reward their very loyal fanbase.

Oh, before I forget:

The first month of 2.0 is free for everyone, current subscriber or not.

Closed Thread