HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Reborn: Final Fantasy 14 2.0 (Beta Phase 3, No NDA! Server:Gungnir for beta)

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2012, 01:08 PM
sabresfan129103

vCash: 500
So is 2.0 a brand new version of the game or just a huge patch that fixes a lot of stuff?

Old
08-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
So is 2.0 a brand new version of the game or just a huge patch that fixes a lot of stuff?
This may sound weird, but it's a brand new game.

The engine is completely new, the graphics are brand new, the zones are all new interpretations of the current ones with LOTS added in, but the current 1.0 storyline is a prequel to the events of 2.0. SE has estimated only 10% of the current assets (mostly music, some mob designs and armor and weapons) will carry over to 2.0.

2.0 will be a completely free download/upgrade for 1.0 players/people that buy the game between now and 2.0 launch, and levels, gear, achievements, etc will all carry over. The story will be built upon what 1.0 is now, but the 1.0 storyline will be completely gone and unaccessible.

So it's a whole new game, but also, an extension of the current FFXIV lore and feel, if that makes any sense

Old
08-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

i am very interested in this but I think i would join if this wasnt' monthly.

08-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
i am very interested in this but I think i would join if this wasnt' monthly.
I view the monthly fee as about the average price I'd spend monthly on gaming anyways, so I have no issues with it. I can fully understand that some people need multiple games or just aren't comfortable with monthly fees, and it sucks for those people .

Old
08-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
I view the monthly fee as about the average price I'd spend monthly on gaming anyways, so I have no issues with it. I can fully understand that some people need multiple games or just aren't comfortable with monthly fees, and it sucks for those people .
Pretty much. I mean the second version looks pretty epic but the monthly fee is warding me off. Student so I need all the cash I can get lol.

Old
08-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Pretty much. I mean the second version looks pretty epic but the monthly fee is warding me off. Student so I need all the cash I can get lol.
Likewise on the student part! Hopefully at some point your situation changes .

Old
08-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Likewise on the student part! Hopefully at some point your situation changes .
yea degree switch so i need it lol.

Also is there any pet system or something?

Old
08-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
yea degree switch so i need it lol.

Also is there any pet system or something?
Not yet but in 2.0 they are planning on adding a pet class, similar to Summoner.

As far as pets go, you'll be able to mount your own personal chocobo, as well as breed it, race it, and level it up and teach it combat moves so it can help you in combat. That stuff is in early alpha, so who knows if it will change/how much it will change by the time it is released.

Old
08-17-2012, 02:59 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Does this have new zones? Or is it 5 or whatever copy/pasted huge empty zones like the original.

Old
08-17-2012, 03:04 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Does this have new zones? Or is it 5 or whatever copy/pasted huge empty zones like the original.
Currently the 5 zones are still the 5 zones, but when 2.0 launches, the 5 zones will be divided into subzones (For instance, Grid will have an autumn section of the forest, a winter section, a regular forest and a couple of other landmarks) and there will be little to no copy/paste.

Dalamud is blowing up all the terrain, so it's all being rebuilt from scratch.

Old
08-17-2012, 08:35 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Currently the 5 zones are still the 5 zones, but when 2.0 launches, the 5 zones will be divided into subzones (For instance, Grid will have an autumn section of the forest, a winter section, a regular forest and a couple of other landmarks) and there will be little to no copy/paste.

Dalamud is blowing up all the terrain, so it's all being rebuilt from scratch.
Very cool. Wherever that was in the video looked great.

Old
08-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

I play as well and am actually on Orpheus' server by happenstance. I highly recommend giving it a shot come 2.0. I've played on and off since release and it's amazing how much the new team has improved the current game while effectively creating an entirely new game at the same time. I loved FFXI and I actually enjoy XIV primarily because SE is one of the few developers who doesn't just make WoW clones.

Old
08-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Very cool. Wherever that was in the video looked great.
Video was the forest of Gridania, now a very wide open zone and looking completely different.

And yea, with Cashville and I on Gungnir, it's officially the unofficial HF meetup server..lol

Old
08-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Rpro

I was one of the unfortunate souls who pre-ordered the collector's edition. I won't make the same mistake this time. Nice graphics and videos weren't the games problem the first time, it was just horrible in most all other aspects. That said, I've been keeping an eye on 14 and the changes they have made. Hopefully this time they draw on what made FFXI the best MMO I've ever played. If the reviews are positive I'll be dusting off my collector's edition and re-installing.

Old
08-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
I was one of the unfortunate souls who pre-ordered the collector's edition. I won't make the same mistake this time. Nice graphics and videos weren't the games problem the first time, it was just horrible in most all other aspects. That said, I've been keeping an eye on 14 and the changes they have made. Hopefully this time they draw on what made FFXI the best MMO I've ever played. If the reviews are positive I'll be dusting off my collector's edition and re-installing.
The game has mostly been fixed already in a lot of those aspects to be honest. The overarching leve problems and animation problems are basically the only thing left to fix, and they can't touch either of those until 2.0 and state that fixing both of those is priority number 1. The animations have been fixed (the video shows this) so the only question is how the leves/quest system will turn out. But luckily, when 2.0 launches you can play it completely free for a month and see for yourself

From the new job website before it was taken down:

ARCANIST - DISCIPLES OF MAGIC
Accompanied by a familiar in battle, adepts of the art of arcanum derive their might from symbols of power born of geometric techniques hailing from across the southern seas. Held within special grimoires, these symbols lend shape to the arcanist's aether, thereby allowing him to produce myriad powerful spells.

Using magicked gemstones upon which the selfsame symbols are graven, arcanists are also able to summon forth the ephemeral being Carbuncle to carry out their bidding.

SUMMONER - JOB SYSTEM
The beast tribes of Eorzea worship and summon forth beings known as primals, among which are Ifrit, Garuda, and Titan. Yet what is a god to one man is a demon to another, for the city-states of Eorzea see these beings as a grave threat to their collective survival.

In times immemorial, there lived mages who had not only the power to summon the primals, but also the means to transmute the primals' essences, thus binding them to their will. Known simply as summoners, the existence of these men and women and their arcane art have been all but lost to the ages.

Last edited by Orpheus: 08-17-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old
08-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I hated the "menu battle" system of FF11.
And all my friends that played FF14 hated it and said it was ass.

But this piques my interest...

Old
08-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
I hated the "menu battle" system of FF11.
And all my friends that played FF14 hated it and said it was ass.

But this piques my interest...
Having played just about every MMO under the sun (including 11 for years), the combat is much closer to a WoW or Rift now than 11, definitely no more scrolling through menus to select skills, most classes use one bar of stuff, then macros for buffs/debuffs/alternate stuff.

And yea, FF14 was ass when it first came out, much improved now

HD gameplay:

Last edited by Orpheus: 08-18-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old
08-19-2012, 04:44 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Not yet but in 2.0 they are planning on adding a pet class, similar to Summoner.

As far as pets go, you'll be able to mount your own personal chocobo, as well as breed it, race it, and level it up and teach it combat moves so it can help you in combat. That stuff is in early alpha, so who knows if it will change/how much it will change by the time it is released.
Cool. well i just noticed its coming out in 13' hopefully things will settle down for me so I can join. However another MMO that's piqued my interest along with this is Blade and Soul, which made me come to ask, is there character that is solely based on the sword? I know dragoon lance and what not.

Example can be that human but have the job of a paladin? Frankly speaking I haven't gotten into MMOrpg since silkroad, hence im a bit of a noob.

Old
08-19-2012, 04:54 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Cool. well i just noticed its coming out in 13' hopefully things will settle down for me so I can join. However another MMO that's piqued my interest along with this is Blade and Soul, which made me come to ask, is there character that is solely based on the sword? I know dragoon lance and what not.

Example can be that human but have the job of a paladin? Frankly speaking I haven't gotten into MMOrpg since silkroad, hence im a bit of a noob.
Any race can be any job or class, and you can level every job or class on only one character (meaning currently, you can level 900 times in the current game before everything hits 50, this will likely be 1000+ come 2.0) or multiple, if that's what you want to do to see the different city storylines or something.

Gladiators use swords, and when they hit level 30 they turn into Paladins, one of the game's tanking classes. It's an extremely fun class to play because tanking in this game is based on preventive and reactionary tanking, vs. WoW's kind of spammy tanking (Paladin tanks often cure themselves for threat in FFXIV for instance, not so much in WoW).

Earlier tonight I hit 50 on all the battle classes (Warrior, Paladin, Bard, Dragoon, Monk, White Mage, Black Mage), all on the same character, which rewarded me with a few awesome crown as well as a bunch of titles, so leveling more than one crafting class or battle job is highly encouraged, but not mandatory. One can level 1-50 in extremely quickly (days, not weeks) with lots of help under the current system (but it leaves you with a clueless, undergeared character at level cap) and while that will no longer be entirely possible when 2.0 hits, plenty of people will level more than one job because they enjoy the different playstyles, and there really is no penalty to doing so (unlike WoW, where you'd be forced to reroll and that used to mean having to unlock everything again, get reattuned, etc)

Last edited by Orpheus: 08-19-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old
08-19-2012, 06:22 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

so I can basically be a paladin, and then also be a dragoon, and at the same time create my own weapons and what not?

Sounds pretty awesome man!

Old
08-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Also any idea on whats the monthly rate and what ideas are so far talked about guild?

Edit: is it still possible to become a legacy member?

Last edited by Leaf Rocket: 08-19-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old
08-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Dugray
No Gifs This Time

What's the cheapest place to pick up a copy of FF14? Getting my new PC soon so might as well give it a shot when I have a computer that can actually run it at max.

Also, what is the best online resource/compendium for information on classes/items/quests (Wiki type thing I imagine)

Last edited by Dugray: 08-19-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old
08-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugray View Post
What's the cheapest place to pick up a copy of FF14? Getting my new PC soon so might as well give it a shot when I have a computer that can actually run it at max.

Also, what is the best online resource/compendium for information on classes/items/quests (Wiki type thing I imagine)

Apologies for taking so long to answer you folks

To Leaf Rocket: Yea, you can level a craft, say blacksmithing, and get resources for it by leveling mining, and use it to make yourself weapons for your paladin and dragoon. Or you can sell stuff to make money. The other benefit to the crafting system is that you can materia your own gear

You can no longer become a legacy member, because it requires paying for 3 months of FFXIV before the servers go down, and they go down at the end of September, sorry

Currently, the monthly fee is 9.99, but when 2.0 launches it'll be 9.99 for legacy, 12.99 for once character per server, and 14.99 for 8 characters per server.

Guilds are currently called linkshells, and I run my own end game one on Gungnir. They are basically chat communities, and you can be in more than one at once. Come 2.0 my linkshell will become a free company, which is more like a guild, complete with guild housing and all that jazz

To Dugray: I've seen the game on sale a bunch of times in Futureshop/Best Buy for $10 Canadian, and I'm pretty sure you can buy it digitally from the Square Enix store for $20. Either way, the game should not be terribly expensive. The graphics are currently very unoptimized (but it still looks beautiful, and they'll be even prettier in 2.0)

As for Online resources, unfortunately no one website has stepped up to the plate yet, so the following ones are good:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html - The main FFXIV site, the forums are always helpful (particularly the class/job forums) and the site has all the crafting recipes and lots of information about the game. Just stay away from the general forums..haha
http://ffxiv.mozk-tabetai.com/ - A very good database for weapons, armor, materia
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/ - Best website for quest walkthroughs
http://mooglebox.com/includes/ - Good compendium for lots of stuff
http://xivpads.com/ - A community website where you can upload your character info that also contains lots of useful guides

If you do pick it up, just remember it isn't perfect in it's current state, but it's still quite enjoyable once you look past the flaws, and 2.0 looks fantastic. I am on the server Gungnir, in a Linkshell that always has plenty of new players, as well as does end game content called Teenage Mutant Ninja Quadav If you decide to join us on that server, just type /t Melian Doriath Hi, help me please! and I'll do my best to help set you up.
Oh, my XIVpads profile: http://xivpads.com/?11916196 and my lodestone profile: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...icuid=11916196

Edit: Oh, and here's a small bonus that I didn't personally take, but it's a good illustration of how the current in game events are going:

It's getting closer..and closer..and closer...

Old
08-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Dugray
No Gifs This Time

Alas the game is no longer available from Futureshop Bestbuy or the Square store.

Old
08-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugray View Post
Alas the game is no longer available from Futureshop Bestbuy or the Square store.
http://www.amazon.ca/Square-Enix-662...5398078&sr=8-1
o.O

Really weird that Square's site doesn't work, it used to be available for digital download and all that stuff. Guessing they are redoing it all for 2.0 already.

Closed Thread