HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MSG Channel accessibility outside of NY?

Old
07-24-2012, 08:33 PM
pucksoup

vCash: 500
MSG Channel accessibility outside of NY?

Hi everyone,

I apologize for starting a new thread as I am sure this has been discussed before at some point in time. I just moved to Virginia for a new job and I am trying to figure out the best way to be able to watch the Rangers next season (barring any lockout!).

At first I thought I would need to sign up for Center Ice. However, both companies available in my area (Comcast and DirecTV) are claiming that with a premier package, MSG would be one of the channels I can access in the area. I did not think it was possible to get MSG outside of the general NY area. Can anyone verify/refute this? For the record, both Comcast and DirecTV have been a little shady during the process of finding out information about costing/packages and I am not sure who is the lesser of two evils.

Thanks in advance for your help!

pucksoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:36 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Since you're in Virginia, you're not in the broadcast region for the game. You can get the channel but the game will be blacked out unless you order Center Ice.

07-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucksoup View Post
Hi everyone,

I apologize for starting a new thread as I am sure this has been discussed before at some point in time. I just moved to Virginia for a new job and I am trying to figure out the best way to be able to watch the Rangers next season (barring any lockout!).

At first I thought I would need to sign up for Center Ice. However, both companies available in my area (Comcast and DirecTV) are claiming that with a premier package, MSG would be one of the channels I can access in the area. I did not think it was possible to get MSG outside of the general NY area. Can anyone verify/refute this? For the record, both Comcast and DirecTV have been a little shady during the process of finding out information about costing/packages and I am not sure who is the lesser of two evils.

I have Comcast and we get all the MSG channels. I'm in central Jersey though which is still considered the NY metro so I don't know if this helps.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:19 PM
acapps10

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I too am moving to Virginia in a couple of weeks so I'm looking forward to see how this works out for you. Please let us know what you choose, thanks.

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:20 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Hi everyone,

In my experience, while you may get MSG in your package, the sports broadcasts will be blacked out. You will likely need to subscribe to Center Ice to get the games.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Abooch68

Get DirecTV.. If you have the premier package or the sports pack you will get all of the MSG channels however, when NHL or NBA games start they will "shut off" the channel unless you have the corresponding sports package.. NHL Center Ice for instance... What's good about DirecTV is that you get the MSG channels full time. Meaning you can watch pre and post game.. If you just had NHL Center Ice, you would not get pregame and they would cut off coverage as soon as the game ends..

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

What's the point of getting MSG if there are no games on?

Unless your passion is throwing darts at that obnoxious babbling moron on with Boomer Esiason.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Abooch68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post

Unless your passion is throwing darts at that obnoxious babbling moron on with Boomer Esiason.
If you want pre and post game coverage..

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:09 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post

If only the darts could hit that obnoxious babbling moron. lol

Old
07-24-2012, 10:59 PM
dynamoovechkin

Agreed. The only way to really get MSG is to get Directv. Dish and Comcast/Xfinity do not offer the channel directly. I learned this the hard way.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by acapps10 View Post
I too am moving to Virginia in a couple of weeks so I'm looking forward to see how this works out for you. Please let us know what you choose, thanks.
Lived in Georgia for 8 years now and here is the full deal. Any cable or satellite provider that says you will get MSG and it will not be blacked out is completely full of dog ****. Even having center ice AND MSG, the majority of games will still be blacked out on MSG and you will be stuck with an away feed on center ice.

Your best bet is to just go ahead and get Center Ice. The majority of Rangers games on there end up in the home feed, I think me and my dad figured out it was like 55-60 out of 82?

07-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
Agreed. The only way to really get MSG is to get Directv. Dish and Comcast/Xfinity do not offer the channel directly. I learned this the hard way.
Yes. And it is absolutely blacked out 4-5 out of every 10 games.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:21 PM
broadwayblue

The secret with Directv is to sign up using a NY state address. When I was living in Atlanta I got all the Rangers games on MSG, but it was funny seeing the Fox Sports South feed going dark for the Braves or whatever games.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
The secret with Directv is to sign up using a NY state address. When I was living in Atlanta I got all the Rangers games on MSG, but it was funny seeing the Fox Sports South feed going dark for the Braves or whatever games.
this!!! I have directv and have my physical address as a CT address and i do have the sports pak still, but was thinking of cancelling that, theoretically it should still work. But then you don't need the NHL center ice package and you get the MSG broadcasters all the time!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:26 PM
TankLarkin

I live in Rochester, NY and because of the F-ing Sabres Rangers Pre game - Game - post game are all blacked out. Pisses me off to no end. at least let me watch pre-and post game.

TankLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Crease

This thread brings back nightmares of having to watch Sabres games up in Ithaca despite being geographically closer to Manhattan. I think MSG Network promised the Sabres 50 games in that region to get them to sign. Thanks Dolan.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

i have direct tv. you can pay like 10 bucks extra a month for msg, but games you have to buy center ice. you don't have to change the channel to watch them or anything and you get post/pre-game. not sure about replays. pretty sure they still show them

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Cyclonus

Im signed up w/ Gamecenter live and i get msg feeds in hd down here in Delaware. I can watch the games on my laptop; desktop; iphone; ipad and ps3....and this coming year my xbox!!

Cyclonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

ya it all blows. If all else fails, just find post game and pregame videos after the game and stream the game itself with home feed.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
The only way to do it is to tell the company you want the NY feed (including news channels). I did this in Philly. I got all Giants games, Rangers games, etc. but none of the Philly channels.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
This thread brings back nightmares of having to watch Sabres games up in Ithaca despite being geographically closer to Manhattan. I think MSG Network promised the Sabres 50 games in that region to get them to sign. Thanks Dolan.
Funny, last time I drove it, Buffalo was closer to Ithaca than Ithaca was to NYC--but that was 30+ years ago. Maybe Ithaca moved.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote