HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles '12-13 Positive Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 09:58 PM
John TavArt Ross

vCash: 500
Isles '12-13 Positive Thread

Do we already have this?.. Didn't see...

Maybe it's time that the team doesn't need a huge signing.. Maybe it's just a chemistry thing that has been evolving over the recent years... Maybe, these boys are ready to be that team that is a surprise. Chemistry with good players can destroy great players with new directions. Great players have to come from somewhere.

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:41 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasm37 View Post
Do we already have this?.. Didn't see...

Maybe it's time that the team doesn't need a huge signing.. Maybe it's just a chemistry thing that has been evolving over the recent years... Maybe, these boys are ready to be that team that is a surprise. Chemistry with good players can destroy great players with new directions. Great players have to come from somewhere.
Because all great teams start with one franchise player, three goaltenders, a defense that would be mediocre in the AHL, and Baron Von Munchausen molding the club in his image.

Good veteran players are so yesterday.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:14 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Because all great teams start with one franchise player, three goaltenders, a defense that would be mediocre in the AHL, and Baron Von Munchausen molding the club in his image.

Good veteran players are so yesterday.
It's better then Columbus... They can't win the lottery..

Things are looking up.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:29 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
and Baron Von Munchausen molding the club in his image.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Dan-o16

Okay, okay. The sky isn't falling.

(but the ocean is rising...)

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:32 AM
HyeDray

All joking aside its easy to say Boyes can't duplicate what P.A. did, or that Carkner won't be a good bottom pair defender for us...

The Vishnovsky thing is really what stings right now. Big time! He would really be a solid fit for the Isles as part of a solid top 4 with Streit, Hamonic and A-Mac. Leave one spot for de Haan, Donovan or Ness no issue with that.

But as of now with the Visnovsky deal as unsettled, the off season becomes lack-luster to say the least. Its not as bad as last time or 2 years ago. We signed players still young enough to contribute in Boyes and Carkner and clearly Snow is tired of seeing his top tier players pushed around and got the team some size and toughness.

Until we see them all play and the season begins, I am not prepared to write the team off. Boyes could easily be a 25 goal 25 assist player or more playing along side Moulson and Tavares. Grabner could have a bounce back year. Okposo, now healthy, could improve upon his 24 goals. Bailey could build off last seasons time on the wing and break through.

I realize there are still "ifs" and uncertainty but it wouldnt be the Islanders without that.

The 2 areas for me that need to be addressed...

The Vishnovsky situation not withstanding, they may want to contact a player like Scott Hannan or Carlo Coliacovo for the blueline. Im not sure I would want Visnovsky here if his heart is not in it.

I would still like to see the Isles find a #2 center. Arnott would be great actually, but I think Snow may want to see how Strome looks for 9 games to see if he can handle it. They also may want to see what Brock Nelson looks like in that slot.

Lots of fans have been dooming and glooming, and sure it isn't Parise or Suter (2 guys we were never going to get, yet fans continue to delude themselves into thinking there is a chance) but the guys we got could be a nice mix with the emerging youth we have.

P.S.
This team has more talent than John Tavares. Too many Isles fans discount Moulson, Neilsen, Martin, Hamonic, A-Mac, Okposo...they even forget that Nabokov put up very solid numbers last season, and Streit came back to form after sorting out the injury. (Notice how both Streit and KO got off to poor starts. A lot of that could have been the effects of the injuries)

I agree with the OP that this team could be a better team then last season, and further would suggest the core youth has to put a winning season together and look like they can take that next step before any free agent will consider the Isles as a potential "winning" destination. That, and the arena issue still looms very large.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:47 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
All joking aside its easy to say Boyes can't duplicate what P.A. did, or that Carkner won't be a good bottom pair defender for us...

The Vishnovsky thing is really what stings right now. Big time! He would really be a solid fit for the Isles as part of a solid top 4 with Streit, Hamonic and A-Mac. Leave one spot for de Haan, Donovan or Ness no issue with that.

But as of now with the Visnovsky deal as unsettled, the off season becomes lack-luster to say the least. Its not as bad as last time or 2 years ago. We signed players still young enough to contribute in Boyes and Carkner and clearly Snow is tired of seeing his top tier players pushed around and got the team some size and toughness.

Until we see them all play and the season begins, I am not prepared to write the team off. Boyes could easily be a 25 goal 25 assist player or more playing along side Moulson and Tavares. Grabner could have a bounce back year. Okposo, now healthy, could improve upon his 24 goals. Bailey could build off last seasons time on the wing and break through.

I realize there are still "ifs" and uncertainty but it wouldnt be the Islanders without that.

The 2 areas for me that need to be addressed...

The Vishnovsky situation not withstanding, they may want to contact a player like Scott Hannan or Carlo Coliacovo for the blueline. Im not sure I would want Visnovsky here if his heart is not in it.

I would still like to see the Isles find a #2 center. Arnott would be great actually, but I think Snow may want to see how Strome looks for 9 games to see if he can handle it. They also may want to see what Brock Nelson looks like in that slot.

Lots of fans have been dooming and glooming, and sure it isn't Parise or Suter (2 guys we were never going to get, yet fans continue to delude themselves into thinking there is a chance) but the guys we got could be a nice mix with the emerging youth we have.

P.S.
This team has more talent than John Tavares. Too many Isles fans discount Moulson, Neilsen, Martin, Hamonic, A-Mac, Okposo...they even forget that Nabokov put up very solid numbers last season, and Streit came back to form after sorting out the injury. (Notice how both Streit and KO got off to poor starts. A lot of that could have been the effects of the injuries)

I agree with the OP that this team could be a better team then last season, and further would suggest the core youth has to put a winning season together and look like they can take that next step before any free agent will consider the Isles as a potential "winning" destination. That, and the arena issue still looms very large.
Well said.

KrisBeKreame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:56 AM
rikker
fan since '75.

just as penicillin rose from the mold, we shall riiiiise to the occassion! and we shall smite the large market teams, and bring forth a Stanley Cup!

Wang and Snow are kind-hearted geniuses!

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Wedregast

vCash: 50
In keeping with the spirit of the theme of the thread; we have less if's then last year to contend with. Last year we have questions at every position. Goaltending was a cluster**** going into last season. The defense look weak on paper, and we hoped for some help that never came. The offense it was thought was adequete, based on the end of the season before. Going into this season so far:

If Vishnovsky plays for us we have a overall better defense going into this season.
If Snow gets us 1 more depth defenseman (preferably 2nd pairing), and a 2nd line center, we have a better overall team then last year.
If Snow has the nerve to sit Ricky in the AHL, we have a chance to win every game he doesn't play for us.
If there isn't a shutdown of partial or full season....

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

they key is no injuries and if Okposo/Bailey and Grabner play to there potential. They need break out seasons!! They need to prove that they are not busts. I wont take another season of mediocrity and then on the final 5 weeks they put on a solid effort. Sorry I wont accept that.. if by the deadline there floating away then Garth should trade all 3.

I dont want to hear that oh there young and there brought up too soon. Sorry, you are given a chance to play in the NHL.. you take that shot and you run with it. If you fail then you were never that good!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:12 AM
HyeDray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
In keeping with the spirit of the theme of the thread; we have less if's then last year to contend with. Last year we have questions at every position. Goaltending was a cluster**** going into last season. The defense look weak on paper, and we hoped for some help that never came. The offense it was thought was adequete, based on the end of the season before. Going into this season so far:

If Vishnovsky plays for us we have a overall better defense going into this season.
If Snow gets us 1 more depth defenseman (preferably 2nd pairing), and a 2nd line center, we have a better overall team then last year.
If Snow has the nerve to sit Ricky in the AHL, we have a chance to win every game he doesn't play for us.
If there isn't a shutdown of partial or full season....
As much as I would like to see DiPietro possibly bought out under a potential amnesty buyout under the new CBA, I am not so sure it will happen. And unless the cap floor sinks to a low enough level, the Isles need the DiPietro contract on the books.

I agree that a 2nd line center would be ideal *unless Strome or Nelson come to camp and light it up. I would love another depth defender as well.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:13 PM
John TavArt Ross

I don't want to be rude, but I don't see why there is a need to make this thread full of negative posts too.. There's plenty of that in very other thread. Ok that's all.. Back to the pity..

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasm37 View Post
I don't want to be rude, but I don't see why there is a need to make this thread full of negative posts too.. There's plenty of that in very other thread. Ok that's all.. Back to the pity..
Agreed!!! Anyone who wants to complain go find our prior complaint thread and do it there. Let the people who want to discuss the positive have their say here.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5#post52946985

There a fresh thread for all the ones who feel the need to complain.

07-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Islanderfan17

You want optimism? Just get Starstaininfection in here, you'd think our team was the Islanders dynasty when he talks.

Anyways, I'm feeling slightly optimistic about this season. If this Visnovsky thing gets sorted out in our favor and he comes here, our Defense will easily be better than it has been in years. The thing I'm the biggest fan of by far though is the addition of Carkner and Boulton, last season you could just sense that one huge thing our team was missing was any sort of toughness. It was rough watching our team get bullied around so much last season and only having Matt Martin to answer the bell and do everything himself.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:09 PM
19 in a row

I am definitely looking forward to this season and while I don't think this will be "Our Year" I definitely expect improvement. What is different now is there hope on the horizon, lots of talent that should be coming in the next few years.

I know our division is a beast but as of now, Philly and the Devils have actually taken a step back with the players they have lost. The rangers did add nash but lost some of their depth and will be missing Gaborik for the first few months of the season. Plus with that contract i actually think that nash is over paid and this deal may not turn out well for them in the long run. With all that money they have locked up in their 1st line (richards and nash for a lot of years) wouldnt it be sweet to see the cap drop.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Agreed!!! Anyone who wants to complain go find our prior complaint thread and do it there. Let the people who want to discuss the positive have their say here.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5#post52946985

There a fresh thread for all the ones who feel the need to complain.
And this thread is just as silly and pointless as that one is. If you want sunshine, go outside.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
07-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Wedregast

I'm more optimistic for this season as well.

If Vishnovsky plays for us, with the addition of Carkner, we have a solid defense. Still questions on who the 6th and 7th defensemen will be, but that would be a depth issue which is better to have then a "crap we don't have any legit top 4 defenseman!" problem.

Offensively, I think with the addition of Boyes, and Boulton, we lose a bit on offense but with the defense being better that shouldn't be a big issue.

Goaltending with Nabby on top, Poulin backing him up, and Ricky as the third GT...thats not a good sit having to rotate Ricky in every 10-20 games. But at least our first 2 goalies are pretty solid.

We should do better this season then last.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:28 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
And this thread is just as silly and pointless as that one is. If you want sunshine, go outside.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I don't know if going outside will help, it seems like alot of Islander fans carry around their own clouds which follow them everywhere. I look at this an attempt to open up the window and let a little sunlight in and was happy to see this thread. Whether I am right or wrong if I believe things are going to get better, today is more enjoyable.

C'mon Dan-O can't we have just one place in here to actually enjoy this team without having to deal with all the other negative "stuff".. drinking the kool-aid is part of being a fan, mine is fruit punch. Try some, you'll like it. As a Jet/Met/Islander fan. I have learned to suspend disbelief well (hope springs eternal).

All in good fun.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:47 PM
leeroggy

At first I thought this is one of those joke items, like Great Jewish Athletes (I'm Jewish, lay off . . .) or Great Italian Naval Victories (okay, I'm not Italian - flame away!).

I think the positive things that will happen this year are:

Either DeHaan or Donovan establishes themselves as true NHLers

Brock Nelson spends 25 games in the AHL and imitates Hamonic by making the jump and sticking

RDP plays at least 10 games and decides to retire ON HIS OWN

The Rangers lose their team chemistry and miss the playoffs. Tortorella is fired after benching Rick Nash in back-to-back road games in December and we hire him in June next year.

Bridgeport wins the AHL championship

Anders Lee signs with the Isles in April after leading ND to the national championship and wins the Hobey Baker award. Mayfield gets first team AA too.

The CBA actually gets negotiated properly and hockey starts on time. The Yashin contract comes off the books as the agreement allows one contract to be rescinded.

Kate Murray is forced to resign after being caught in bed with a dead lesbian prostitute and the new mayor immediately supports the original Lighthouse Project.

The remodeled Coliseum groundbreaking takes place for the LH project.

Willie Huber comes out of retirement and scores an overtime goal in the last game of the season, knocking out the Rangers and allowing the Isles to sneak into the playoffs.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:55 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
At first I thought this is one of those joke items, like Great Jewish Athletes (I'm Jewish, lay off . . .) or Great Italian Naval Victories (okay, I'm not Italian - flame away!).

I think the positive things that will happen this year are:

Either DeHaan or Donovan establishes themselves as true NHLers

Brock Nelson spends 25 games in the AHL and imitates Hamonic by making the jump and sticking

RDP plays at least 10 games and decides to retire ON HIS OWN

The Rangers lose their team chemistry and miss the playoffs. Tortorella is fired after benching Rick Nash in back-to-back road games in December and we hire him in June next year.

Bridgeport wins the AHL championship

Anders Lee signs with the Isles in April after leading ND to the national championship and wins the Hobey Baker award. Mayfield gets first team AA too.

The CBA actually gets negotiated properly and hockey starts on time. The Yashin contract comes off the books as the agreement allows one contract to be rescinded.

Kate Murray is forced to resign after being caught in bed with a dead lesbian prostitute and the new mayor immediately supports the original Lighthouse Project.

The remodeled Coliseum groundbreaking takes place for the LH project.

Willie Huber comes out of retirement and scores an overtime goal in the last game of the season, knocking out the Rangers and allowing the Isles to sneak into the playoffs.
Lol I wish this would happen.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:11 PM
IwayMike

Tavares will continue his improvement into an elite player.
Moulson will score 30+ goals.
Toughness added to the team.
Said toughness is in the form of players that can do more than just fight.
Toughness will open space for the higher skilled players.
Matt Martin will be able to develop other parts of his game instead of being the fighter.
Even without Vis, the defense will be better then last year (if GS signs one of the still available UFA Dmen out there).
Goalie situation is much better.
Other young talent will, on the average, be better.
Reasoner could only have a better year.

My wife and I had a partial plan last year. With the exception of a few disappointing loses, such as the home opener, we had an enjoyable time at the 20+ games we went to. Yes, we would love the Isles to win more. Yes, it hurts that we can't/don't sign the higher end UFAs. Yes, we would love a new area with all the current amenities that a new arena would have. In the end, we see a team that has some good young talented players that play their hearts out every night. Although it is disappointing when they lose, they are still the team I enjoy following.

IwayMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Something positive? We can only go up from here (something we've basically said since 2008)

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:36 PM
LongIslandCircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
they key is no injuries and if Okposo/Bailey and Grabner play to there potential. They need break out seasons!! They need to prove that they are not busts. I wont take another season of mediocrity and then on the final 5 weeks they put on a solid effort. Sorry I wont accept that.. if by the deadline there floating away then Garth should trade all 3.

I dont want to hear that oh there young and there brought up too soon. Sorry, you are given a chance to play in the NHL.. you take that shot and you run with it. If you fail then you were never that good!
Those 3 are really going to have to carry a big load this season. The roster looks pretty much set unfortunately, but I am hoping for big things from these guys.

I fully expect bailey to make giant strides this year....the kid IS part of the solution around here. He's got the tools, time to put it together Josh.

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post

Cheers,

Dan-o
This is as positive as I get. (This will cheer anybody up) -

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
C'mon Dan-O can't we have just one place in here to actually enjoy this team without having to deal with all the other negative "stuff".. drinking the kool-aid is part of being a fan, mine is fruit punch. Try some, you'll like it. As a Jet/Met/Islander fan. I have learned to suspend disbelief well (hope springs eternal).
I suppose I have no problem with that. So long as the mods don't try to force everything reality-based into a single thread. That's just icky mind-control-freak stuff.

BTW, why does nobody say 'drinking the Flavor-Aid'? It's a slander against Kool-Aid.

Cheers,

Dan-o