HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DP is Ready!!

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 07:04 PM
beach
Things are looking

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to beach
DP is Ready!!

.....any apprehensions about next season. “No. Absolutely not.” Not the knee, not the hip, nothing. Not this time.

"But I’ve made a commitment -- we WILL win a Stanley Cup here, on Long Island while I’m part of the team. I believe that 100%. I dream about it every day. I’m telling you, it’s going to happen and I feel confident about it.”

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Dee-K...-Ice/129/45762

Old
07-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Gotta admire his determination.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:11 PM
StrongIslanders90

Saddest part is imho he truley does believe it.....

I dont see him basically coming back fully healthy after 4+ years off and being injured often to being able to carry this team at an NHL level....

I LOVE ya Rick you bleed BLue and Orange but your phisically unable to preform...

Old
07-24-2012, 07:14 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Hey - great to hear!!

Now spend four months proving it along side one of Poulin or Nilsson in Bridgeport.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:36 PM
seafoam
Do The Panic

vCash: 50
I really don't know how to feel after reading this, Wang a competitive guy!?

Did they bring him into the Coliseum basement and perform some crazy brainwashing on Rick? Seriously...

Old
07-24-2012, 07:40 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

It's hard not to like Rick when he's not being a cocky *******. I'm glad he's not saying anything like he's expecting to be the #1.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:42 PM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I really don't know how to feel after reading this, Wang a competitive guy!?

Did they bring him into the Coliseum basement and perform some crazy brainwashing on Rick? Seriously...
That paragraph about Wang was actually very significant IMO b/c of the window it gives you into their thinking:

"“He is, right now, the MOST competitive human being I have ever met in my life. I keep telling him they should make a movie about him because it’s so amazing. You’re talking about a guy who is a self-made man that came from nothing. It kills him, it absolutely kills him. He doesn’t even want to lose in basketball one-on-one.” I have to admit, I was a little surprised to hear that this man in his 60s is still playing basketball. But that was just a random thought. Rick continued. “He knows, and Snow knows, the organization was in a bad place when he took over. And to build that all the way back up -- and then throw a salary cap on top of that with the restrictions -- you need to be bad, really bad before you can be good. I know there are some times when we’re mediocre and that sets you back a little bit. You need to be terrible, then it goes in cycles. Look at Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh was awful, now they’re great. You’ve got that window. Tampa was at that point. So it’s just trying to capitalize on the time that you have when it’s right. We’ve got all these young guys, we’ve got the foundation set.”"

Old
07-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Steve55

A very sad news...

Old
07-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey

Pens fan here hoping he makes a great comeback for you guys, and that he has put this crap behind him. I know it's a longshot, though.

Gotta feel for him. He seems like such a good guy...it's a shame his career has been dismantled by things entirely outside of his control.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:50 PM
nyscene

Wish Yashin and the Oleg had his compete level. It's unfortunate since he loves the game and the team but he's done.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:07 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
That paragraph about Wang was actually very significant IMO b/c of the window it gives you into their thinking:

"“He is, right now, the MOST competitive human being I have ever met in my life. I keep telling him they should make a movie about him because it’s so amazing. You’re talking about a guy who is a self-made man that came from nothing. It kills him, it absolutely kills him. He doesn’t even want to lose in basketball one-on-one.” I have to admit, I was a little surprised to hear that this man in his 60s is still playing basketball. But that was just a random thought. Rick continued. “He knows, and Snow knows, the organization was in a bad place when he took over. And to build that all the way back up -- and then throw a salary cap on top of that with the restrictions -- you need to be bad, really bad before you can be good. I know there are some times when we’re mediocre and that sets you back a little bit. You need to be terrible, then it goes in cycles. Look at Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh was awful, now they’re great. You’ve got that window. Tampa was at that point. So it’s just trying to capitalize on the time that you have when it’s right. We’ve got all these young guys, we’ve got the foundation set.”"

Nice read. Ricky should hang them up, but he's an Isle to his core.

As for the part you quoted... Interesting indeed, I figured as much. The Isles are sticking to this rebuild and we may be waiting longer than any of want.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:16 PM
John TavArt Ross

Interesting.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Islanders1932

How do you not love DP, I mean this guy seriously bleeds orange and blue. Its so overused but man do I feel bad for him.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:17 PM
MJP

This is worse then us losing PA, prob Viz, and Nash going to the rangers. We're ****ing doomed

Old
07-24-2012, 08:21 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

DP is a good guy. Delusional, but a good guy.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Islanderfan17

The guy has matured beyond belief through his experiences, that is the sign of a resilient man. The question is, will his body be as resilient as his mind is? Who knows, but I really do hope the best for the guy and hopefully he could at least play a full season this year as the back up or third string goalie (Maybe even AHL).

Old
07-24-2012, 08:52 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
The guy has matured beyond belief through his experiences, that is the sign of a resilient man. The question is, will his body be as resilient as his mind is? Who knows, but I really do hope the best for the guy and hopefully he could at least play a full season this year as the back up or third string goalie (Maybe even AHL).
The only way to keep all the eggs from being in one basket is to separate Nilsson and Poulin, IMO.

Islanders: Nabokov + #45/#60

Sound Tigers: DiPietro + #45/#60

For these kids to realize they stand a chance to breaking big here, it could be very stupid to just let DP take the backup role.

There's been similar reports like this every season since he's gone down. We know where it got us. He can prove justification behind his possible re-ascension by destroying the 'A for half a season with no injuries.

We've gotta learn from mistakes sometime. I've been served this same flavor of pudding with next to no proof too many seasons in a row.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Hard to get all over him with a quote like that. But I've given up any hope on him ever being a full time elite goalie a long time ago.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:

He made that quote before. I think while talking to howie during one of his annual "Sorry we stink" addresses at the end of the season. And practically speaking, given our circumstances, he's right about that. But you never want to hear it from the owner. Especially when the club has only had very minor success in just a couple of seasons over the last 20 years. Also the time to continue to be really bad has been over for 2 years. There's really no excuse as to why some more proven talent (that will actually stick around for more than 1 year) wasn't brought in by hook or by crook these last 2 years.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:51 PM
periferal

Quote:

There's only one explanation for this quote...Wang is drugging people behind the scenes.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:11 PM
RWWallpaper

Isles have a better chance of hoisting th Cup this year than he does avoiding an extended stay on the IR.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Giuseppe Franco

I've heard from Scientologists less delusional. Just go away DP.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:29 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
“He is, right now, the MOST competitive human being I have ever met in my life. I keep telling him they should make a movie about him because it’s so amazing. You’re talking about a guy who is a self-made man that came from nothing. It kills him, it absolutely kills him. He doesn’t even want to lose in basketball one-on-one.” I have to admit, I was a little surprised to hear that this man in his 60s is still playing basketball. But that was just a random thought. Rick continued. “He knows, and Snow knows, the organization was in a bad place when he took over. And to build that all the way back up -- and then throw a salary cap on top of that with the restrictions -- you need to be bad, really bad before you can be good. I know there are some times when we’re mediocre and that sets you back a little bit. You need to be terrible, then it goes in cycles. Look at Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh was awful, now they’re great. You’ve got that window. Tampa was at that point. So it’s just trying to capitalize on the time that you have when it’s right. We’ve got all these young guys, we’ve got the foundation set.”
I see nothing of interest in these words and would like someone who does to explain to me what I am missing.

He starts off by being a suck up to the guy who controls his fate. Maybe the fear of playing at the Bridge has finally punched him somewhere he can feel for a change. He fills the middle bit with references to his continued contribution to the club. It almost sounds like a veiled threat, that we won't get him out of our hair until the club has reached the promise land, (yack.) Then he finishes it off by saying the team sucked and has to suck for a long time - getting the apologizing in for his sugar daddy like a good soldier. Please tap me on the shoulder when I get to something that is even 1% eye opening, insightful, or makes me want to respect him, the org, and in particular, Wang.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhart Shaped Box View Post
It's hard not to like Rick when he's not being a cocky *******. I'm glad he's not saying anything like he's expecting to be the #1.
I stand by what I say 2 years ago. Love the person, hate the player. How can you not love Ricky? Before his TKO, he really became humbled, through his injuries. Look at him this year, called out by fans during games through boos and chants to start Montoya instead. And yet he's willing to hand out hotdogs with those same fans.

Ricky is an Islander. He loves the Islanders. Not a shot but I don't think even JT has that same love. He's probably the only one in the past 20 years who has bought a house here under 35 and lives here all around. I'm sure Yash and Satan and McCabe have houses and stay but I'll bet they live elsewhere.

I just wish he wasn't an Islander. I don't want to set aside 8-12 games a year for a goalie, the most important position, to give up soft goals left and right, to have a .880 save percentage, to have a 3.12 GAA. I don't even know the numbers but I bet it's close.

This is a fragile team, this is a team that needs to get rid of it's liabilities. To make the playoffs and win hockey games, they need to have everything go right. One hiccup can cost them the season. A losing streak in November? Unrecoverable. So having Ricky out there for those amount of games is horrible, he literally can not play the position anymore. His leg injuries slow him down.

It's over for him and it's just another year of this.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:42 PM
potvins4cups

Quote:

This guy is the most delusional individual i have recently come across. everything that came out of his mouth in this article is one big pile of bullcrap.

Closed Thread